Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich says the word from Indy reporters is......

LJpalmbeacher2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.   And Saturday reversed himself the following day.   Now he regrets it.   

I haven’t said a word about this because NFL head coaches with tons of experience often screw up time outs.  It’s common. 

My bigger concern is why Matt Ryan didn’t?   And why did no one in the coaching staff tell Jeff to call the time out. Ryan should have the ability to do that.  And lack of proper support from the coaching staff is an issue I’ve been writing about since the infamous Wentz left handed interception on the tight end screen from the 8-yard line against Tenn.   I don’t think the Colts hired good enough people when we lost Sirianni and other O-coaches to other jobs.   I think the Colts have been badly served by this.  And I think this is a strike against Frank.   He hired them. 

I agree.  I don't know why a QB has to get a signal from the HC to call a time out, especially a QB with the stature of Ryan and in a situation that obviously called for one.

I thought that Ryan was another Peyton Manning- light.   Has a good grasp of offensive concepts to the degree that he would be audibling out of bad plays, bad assignments, and influencing some of the routes and plays calls.  True leadership when it matters, not a call-out of other players' practice habits like a school hall monitor.

He's been horrible at it.  Either he doesn't know enough about it or our coaches keep him on a tight leash....which Saturday is guilty of too. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not interested in winning????  What a moronic statement.  The Colts are very interested in winning.  At this point, though, Irsay is going full Al Davis.  He’s gonna call the shots, and if Ballard isn’t interested in doing his bidding, there’s the door.  As of this season, Ballard’s job is to find the players AND convince Irsay to sign/draft them…

43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The true pressure came from the unaccounted linebackers and secondary.

Tell me who has the responsibility to recognize a blitz from the back seven players.  Its not the responsibility of the olinemen to recognize this and adjust.  You know, back in the day Saturday would call out some oline blocking assignment but he isn't canvassing the entire field looking for blitzes?

Its on Ryan.  And its also on the RB to pick up the blitzing back seven player, right?

Obviously, its not the HC, or the oline coach.  They do not recognize how the D is lining up.  The oline coach coaches the oline about how to handle stunts from the dline...not about seeing a LB or safety about to blitz, right?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why would anyone in their right mind ever think Irsay is NOT interested in winning?

And why would anyone ever respond…..   Duh, LOL, like it’s obvious?

Forget for a moment that Peyton Manning was asked by Matt Ryan 8 months ago if Irsay was driven to win and PM said Irsay was ALL ABOUT WINNING?!? 

Forget for a moment that since 1999 when the Colts drafted PM, the Colts are the 4th winningest franchise in the NFL. 

Forget for a moment that Dakich is a basketball guy who only thinks he knows football but actually doesn’t.   A blowhard. 

People need to realize, Irsay’s wealth is the Colts and that’s it.   He has no other business interest to make money.   He has no high tech, he has no real estate, he has big oil.   Irsay has the Colts and THAT’s it. 
The Colts are a small market team.  They have to be well run or Irsay doesn’t make the kind of money other owners do.   Period.   

If anyone buys this nonsense, to me you’re freely admitting you value your opinion over facts, logic and reason.   And your opinion has ZERO to support your point of view. 

Good luck with that. 

The proof is in the pudding.... How much LOSING do you have to see from the colts and other bottom tier organizations before you at least wonder why?

You remember the Miami owner Steven Ross story from last season, don't you?

And then the former brownies HC saying the same thing??

I guess you and others will naively sweep that and all other stuff under the carpet like it didn't happen or exist because you don't want to think about it. 

Everyone is allowed happy thoughts, whether they are factual or not.....But you and others know exactly what I've said for years about this organization and I've been absolutely on the money. .....but you can sweep that under the carpet too. 

I don't really want or care to say anymore on the subject, I don't need to. haha

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm with you. Saturday &Ballard would really test my all ready much declining interest in the colts and nfl.. And that's surprising since I don't expect much from this organization anyway, not since Luck quit on everyone. We're on our way to being the Detroit Lions of the league it seems. 

But I expect to at least drop in here to "educate" some to what's going on. Even if it's just one poster that sees the light it will be worth it. Plus keeping a eye on the NFL is a inside track to making a wager.

Bringing Ballard back bothers me less than bringing Saturday back. Irsay is the real GM now anyway, Ballard has been reduced to being a puppet, A well paid puppet though. Lol 

Saturday just doesn't strike me as being HC material. 

Good lord.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Tell me who has the responsibility to recognize a blitz from the back seven players.  Its not the responsibility of the olinemen to recognize this and adjust.  You know, back in the day Saturday would call out some oline blocking assignment but he isn't canvassing the entire field looking for blitzes?

Its on Ryan.  And its also on the RB to pick up the blitzing back seven player, right?

Obviously, its not the HC, or the oline coach.  They do not recognize how the D is lining up.  The oline coach coaches the oline about how to handle stunts from the dline...not about seeing a LB or safety about to blitz, right?

This is exactly why most of the protection issues are on Ryan. Looked like he had JT on the wrong side on one of the sacks.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  I don't know why a QB has to get a signal from the HC to call a time out, especially a QB with the stature of Ryan and in a situation that obviously called for one.

I thought that Ryan was another Peyton Manning- light.   Has a good grasp of offensive concepts to the degree that he would be audibling out of bad plays, bad assignments, and influencing some of the routes and plays calls.  True leadership when it matters, not a call-out of other players' practice habits like a school hall monitor.

He's been horrible at it.  Either he doesn't know enough about it or our coaches keep him on a tight leash....which Saturday is guilty of too. 

Ryan has had a panicked look all season.

The guy finally threw the ball away rather than take a sack. Weird stuff.

Reich couldn't coach Wentz up and Ryan is out in left field. What a mess.

I'm thinking if Rivers hadn't come to make it look like we were on track Frank might have been fired much sooner.  

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

I'm thinking if Rivers hadn't come to make it look like we were on track Frank might have been fired much sooner.  

If rivers hadn’t come we might have drafted a QB.

1 hour ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Irsay's an excentric personilaty, but he runs a business, He owns a franchise, and a franchise can only be maintained by winning IMO. NFL can't bear a 2nd Jaguars, and definitely not in the same division (that is already considered as one of the weakest).

The division already has a second jaguar organization..... They are called.the Texans.

The colts aren't far behind them and could very soon catch them??

25 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You're somehow putting this on Frank.  Why is Reich supposed to teach a 14 year vet how to recognize a blitz?  How does he coach a QB who doesn't seem to want to care about it?  And I'm not putting this on Ballard either.

I'm putting it on Ryan.  I'm putting it on Wentz.  These guys make huge money to come to the team supposedly equipped with the knowledge and understanding of the position of starting QB.

Frank's coaching job is to teach Sam Ehlinger how to read a blitz and call out protections.   If I was Frank, I would coach the team with the expectation Wentz and Ryan already know this stuff when they come to training camp.   

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There are all kinds of factor's here because teams disguise coverages and blitzes extremely well in the NFL.  The QB and C generally pre snap might see things formation wise and move people or change out of calls, but this is far from an exact science although there are guys like the Bradys the Mannings who are better at it than others.

But post snap, the individual linemen AND the RBS have much of the responsibility for picking up blitzes. 

But its very complex at the NFL level.  

So in short blitz responsibility is shared, 

But to your point yes post snap each lineman, the RB, the TE and WR have to recognize and go the hot read zone too.  I'd be interested to know how well our young pass catchers do that.  My guess is not particularly well because they are young lol.   That probably factors in to us having issues picking up the blitz.  Some blitzers on an overload for instance are going to come free, but there should be some outlet receiver in areas left by the blitzers on hot reads, but the receiver and QB have to get that right at the same time. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.   And Saturday reversed himself the following day.   Now he regrets it.   

I haven’t said a word about this because NFL head coaches with tons of experience often screw up time outs.  It’s common. 

My bigger concern is why Matt Ryan didn’t?   And why did no one in the coaching staff tell Jeff to call the time out. Ryan should have the ability to do that.  And lack of proper support from the coaching staff is an issue I’ve been writing about since the infamous Wentz left handed interception on the tight end screen from the 8-yard line against Tenn.   I don’t think the Colts hired good enough people when we lost Sirianni and other O-coaches to other jobs.   I think the Colts have been badly served by this.  And I think this is a strike against Frank.   He hired them. 

The way I saw it, Ryan expected a timeout to be called, looked to the sideline... and whatever he saw or was told caused him to get the offense back on the line and run a play. And that's on 3rd down. I don't know what he saw or was told, maybe it was Jeff telling him to go, maybe it was something on the headset. But I think he was expecting a timeout, and was caught off guard by the decision that was made.

As for the rest of the staff, I agree. Someone should have been on top of the situation. But who? We lost a huge chunk of the offensive operation with Reich and Brady. We don't have a good idea who's doing what. There's no question the operation is disjointed, and I think that situation is an example.

But really, it's on Jeff. And yeah, coaches mess up time management all the time, but that one seemed simple. Usually there's another angle, another consideration, some kind of explanation, even if it's not very convincing. In this situation, it just seems like Jeff didn't get it.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You're somehow putting this on Frank.  Why is Reich supposed to teach a 14 year vet how to recognize a blitz?  How does he coach a QB who doesn't seem to want to care about it?  And I'm not putting this on Ballard either.

I'm putting it on Ryan.  I'm putting it on Wentz.  These guys make huge money to come to the team supposedly equipped with the knowledge and understanding of the position of starting QB.

Frank's coaching job is to teach Sam Ehlinger how to read a blitz and call out protections.   If I was Frank, I would coach the team with the expectation Wentz and Ryan already know this stuff when they come to training camp.   

Doug, the football world understood Frank had to FIX something in Wentz's head. Safe to say Frank convinced at least Irsay, if not Ballard also, he thought he could do it. Frank Failed.

As you read,  i described Ryan as "in left field". A reference intended to mean somehow out of touch. I hardly think Frank did that to him. For his experience, Ryan has been his own mess.

With the weird Brissett contract of which i have to believe Reich had to talk him up, Irsay losing confidence in Reichs opinion after all these QB issues is completely understandable. JMO 

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Every team has protection protocols, calls, adjustments, alerts, etc. You have a QB new to your offense, those have to be taught. The protection issues are systemic, they start with Frank and go all the way down to the backup RBs. 

In 2018, the Colts gave a lot of insight into their protection protocols, advance scouting opponents, sharing the info, planning and communicating, all about protection. There are articles detailing it. Using those protocols, with Luck at QB, and after some lineup shuffling, they were able to cut their sacks down from 2.0/game in the first five games, to 0.7/game in the last eleven games. They did that through collaborative effort, not by assuming the QB knew how to handle protections.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

If you assume that the reporters are the voice of the fans, he's kind of indicated that some of the questions are stupid.  

Like why wouldn't you pay an elite G elite money?   As if there is no debate to the issue.  Even if he thinks there isn't, it not really a good tone to have.  Maybe just explain his reasoning rather than hiding behind a flippant slough-off. 

Also the comment about people wanting him to draft wideouts for so long when now the oline is the problem.  There is a better way to address it.

Jeez, having typed this, I can't believe that Grigson was viewed as being the GM with the attitude problem and Ballard gets a pass.  LOL.

This is accurate. Ballard was treated as boy genius for so long; now that he’s being questioned, it’s clear he doesn’t take any kind of criticism well. Huge ego. Probably most GMs are similar but at least hide your disdain. 

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Every team has protection protocols, calls, adjustments, alerts, etc. You have a QB new to your offense, those have to be taught. The protection issues are systemic, they start with Frank and go all the way down to the backup RBs. 

In 2018, the Colts gave a lot of insight into their protection protocols, advance scouting opponents, sharing the info, planning and communicating, all about protection. There are articles detailing it. Using those protocols, with Luck at QB, and after some lineup shuffling, they were able to cut their sacks down from 2.0/game in the first five games, to 0.7/game in the last eleven games. They did that through collaborative effort, not by assuming the QB knew how to handle protections.

This explains why a line that has played together and has few in season injuries can be most effective. We are far from that.

Crossing my fingers Raimann plays the rest of the season. He is improving.

Even 7th rounder Fries is a little better. lol

I'm ready to choke Granson over his poor blocking. He would look good in a Bears uni.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

There are all kinds of factor's here because teams disguise coverages and blitzes extremely well in the NFL.  The QB and C generally pre snap might see things formation wise and move people or change out of calls, but this is far from an exact science although there are guys like the Bradys the Mannings who are better at it than others.

But post snap, the individual linemen AND the RBS have much of the responsibility for picking up blitzes. 

But its very complex at the NFL level.  

So in short blitz responsibility is shared, 

But to your point yes post snap each lineman, the RB, the TE and WR have to recognize and go the hot read zone too.  I'd be interested to know how well our young pass catchers do that.  My guess is not particularly well because they are young lol.   That probably factors in to us having issues picking up the blitz.  Some blitzers on an overload for instance are going to come free, but there should be some outlet receiver in areas left by the blitzers on hot reads, but the receiver and QB have to get that right at the same time. 

I get that receivers are supposed to see it and alter their routes, particularly helpful to head to the vacated spot. 

And certainly RBs should have the space/time to see where the rusher is coming from.  

The olineman are going to have to slide to a spot or hand off a dlineman to block a blitzer.

My question is, how realistic is it for that olineman to see a LBer/SS creeping up to the LOS and make the calls all the way down the line.  IMO, only the QB is in position to see those back seven guys creeping up to the LOS.   Yes a receiver who is expecting to be covered by player X sees player X creep up, so he knows he has a hot route.  WRs can see that guy, RBs can see that guy, and so can QBs.  I'm not sure how the olineman are supposed to see that guy.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I get that receivers are supposed to see it and alter their routes, particularly helpful to head to the vacated spot. 

And certainly RBs should have the space/time to see where the rusher is coming from.  

The olineman are going to have to slide to a spot or hand off a dlineman to block a blitzer.

My question is, how realistic is it for that olineman to see a LBer/SS creeping up to the LOS and make the calls all the way down the line.  IMO, only the QB is in position to see those back seven guys creeping up to the LOS.   Yes a receiver who is expecting to be covered by player X sees player X creep up, so he knows he has a hot route.  WRs can see that guy, RBs can see that guy, and so can QBs.  I'm not sure how the olineman are supposed to see that guy.

Qb

58 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Doug, the football world understood Frank had to FIX something in Wentz's head. Safe to say Frank convinced at least Irsay, if not Ballard also, he thought he could do it. Frank Failed.

As you read,  i described Ryan as "in left field". A reference intended to mean somehow out of touch. I hardly think Frank did that to him. For his experience, Ryan has been his own mess.

With the weird Brissett contract of which i have to believe Reich had to talk him up, Irsay losing confidence in Reichs opinion after all these QB issues is completely understandable. JMO 

I'm not getting into Frank.  I only mentioned it because you laid some blame on him.

My point is that a veteran QB making $20M is supposed to be able to read blitzes when they come into training camp...of any team.   Some of the miscues by the Colts looks like our QB is simply running the play that is called and makes no "shout outs" to the rest of the team presnap to adjust. 

I don't see how any person from the sidelines or the booth is responsible for that failure.

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not getting into Frank.  I only mentioned it because you laid some blame on him.

My point is that a veteran QB making $20M is supposed to be able to read blitzes when they come into training camp...of any team.   Some of the miscues by the Colts looks like our QB is simply running the play that is called and makes no "shout outs" to the rest of the team presnap to adjust. 

I don't see how any person from the sidelines or the booth is responsible for that failure.

I am still amazed at fans defending Ryan. A 15 year vet doesn’t need to be taught how to pick up the blitz. We didn’t have blitz pickup issues with Rivers. If the people saying Ryan is a hall of famer it’s inrxcuseable fit him not to recognize the blitz.

46 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am still amazed at fans defending Ryan. A 15 year vet doesn’t need to be taught how to pick up the blitz. We didn’t have blitz pickup issues with Rivers. If the people saying Ryan is a hall of famer it’s inrxcuseable fit him not to recognize the blitz.

As I said, any QB making $20M should be expected to arrive at TC prepared and knowledgeable about blitz recognition.  Any coaching staff should expect it.  Yes, it could take him a while to learn the playbook and know the best alternative play and how to call it.

If even on the first snap of the first game of the season, why couldn't he shout at the LOS...."Hey oline, 58 is blitzing, do something"  And then Kelly or Nelson make the proper blocking call and JT perks up.

LOL.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As I said, any QB making $20M should be expected to arrive at TC prepared and knowledgeable about blitz recognition.  Any coaching staff should expect it.  Yes, it could take him a while to learn the playbook and know the best alternative play and how to call it.

If even on the first snap of the first play, why couldn't he shout at the LOS...."Hey oline, 58 is blitzing, do something"  And then Kelly or Nelson make the proper blocking call and JT perks up.

LOL.

This might be why JT wouldn’t take blame for his failed blitz pickups. Maybe he didn’t want to call out Ryan.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If even on the first snap of the first play of the season, why couldn't he shout at the LOS...."Hey oline, 58 is blitzing, do something"  And then Kelly or Nelson make the proper blocking call and JT perks up.

LOL.

no one wants to blame matt ryan but he is a issue .   tons of the colts sacks and pressure are on blitzs  that are not picked up .   also matt has been very indecisive and holds the ball .  watching his film study on youtube its clear he is missing guys wide open and going through his progression slow .  many of the sacks i sit there and count over 4 seconds , he just doesnt have the confidence to throw guys open anymore  .  he doesnt keep his eyes down field when there is slight pressure he gets happy feet .   he is out of his prime and his skill set and ability is no where near what is was and it seems like matt realizes it and that is why he is holding the ball scared to pull the trigger .

its not even just blitzes that matt cant adjust to its coverages he is throwing the ball into double coverage many times 'when guys are wide open .    the one game against the jags matt played like his old self making quick judgements and guess what no sacks and we score 34 .     if we had a consistent QB  this offense is not bad we got taylor pittman pierce cambell who when healthy is pretty good  along with woods and mo .    we just need find a answer at two positions on the line and need a QB and this team would look so good .   imagine with a top ten QB  teams couldnt stack the box and taylor is going off and so is pierce and pittman .

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I see plenty of blame going to Matt Ryan, and rightfully so. 

Yep I really wanted Ryan to work because I really liked him but there is no denying he’s been a big part of the problem.  I really wonder if Foles is the best QB on the Colts roster right now.

29 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

no one wants to blame matt ryan but he is a issue .   tons of the colts sacks and pressure are on blitzs  that are not picked up .   also matt has been very indecisive and holds the ball .  watching his film study on youtube its clear he is missing guys wide open and going through his progression slow .  many of the sacks i sit there and count over 4 seconds , he just doesnt have the confidence to throw guys open anymore  .  he doesnt keep his eyes down field when there is slight pressure he gets happy feet .   he is out of his prime and his skill set and ability is no where near what is was and it seems like matt realizes it and that is why he is holding the ball scared to pull the trigger .

its not even just blitzes that matt cant adjust to its coverages he is throwing the ball into double coverage many times 'when guys are wide open .    the one game against the jags matt played like his old self making quick judgements and guess what no sacks and we score 34 .     if we had a consistent QB  this offense is not bad we got taylor pittman pierce cambell who when healthy is pretty good  along with woods and mo .    we just need find a answer at two positions on the line and need a QB and this team would look so good .   imagine with a top ten QB  teams couldnt stack the box and taylor is going off and so is pierce and pittman .

I don’t know where Ryan is in QBR. But people may not realize this  but even Wentz was right in that top  ten range. 

Ballard as a draft talent evaluator- big yes. Ballard on Team construction and salary cap allocation - a big no. 

To build a team essentially only through the draft you need to be perfect, and all GM’s miss. There are not enough rounds in the draft before you cycle through your existing core players and their price point. Ballard has whiffed on players as well, and has never come to terms that the wallet must be opened in free agency where impact positions are concerned. He continually overrates roster players and has continued to dumpster dive for “Hidden Gems” that have been overlooked by every other GM in the NFL. Right now the issues far out weigh the benefits - and after 6 years it is hard to see this changing.

23 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Irsay plans on bringing Ballard back AND give Saturday the HC gig going forward.

He also said if that happens it just goes along with  what he's been saying for years that the Colts ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WINNING. 

Duh lol

But Saturday botching the not calling time out vs Steelers and the 4th quarter implosion vs Cowboys will make it a more difficult sale to the fans. 

He says irsay needs for Saturday win a game or two more to make it a better sale to the fans. 

Dakich may be a blow hard and difficult to like to most BUT he tells it like he sees it.

Dakich likes ratings and his predictions on anything let alone anything Colts related, are 75 percent of the time or more, dead wrong. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ryan is 25th in QBR. Wentz was right around the ten range. 

I am not going to complain to much anymore about how this QB situation was handled as long as we get the future QB out of this. We kind of needed this to happen so we could reset with a young QB.

Last I saw, Wentz was 28th

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

So you’ve never seen money make people act differently then when they weren’t wealthy. There are many entertainers, athletes, and corporate people that money has changed them for the worse. 

The narrative that Ballard is arrogant and has disdain for media or the fans is what's nonsense.

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nobody is saying Ryan is great. But many understand the situation with the OL.

Are you familiar with Rivers' history, or stats? Rivers had horrible years with SD/LA when his OL sucked. He led the league with INTs in years. Even with his quick trigger, his ability to pick the blitz was horrible. He took a bunch sacks. Many years with 30 or more, and even some 40+... 

In short, Rivers had an elite OL in Indy. But he had many bad years before. And most QBs would look bad with our OL. 

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The proof is in the pudding.... How much LOSING do you have to see from the colts and other bottom tier organizations before you at least wonder why?

You remember the Miami owner Steven Ross story from last season, don't you?

And then the former brownies HC saying the same thing??

I guess you and others will naively sweep that and all other stuff under the carpet like it didn't happen or exist because you don't want to think about it. 

Everyone is allowed happy thoughts, whether they are factual or not.....But you and others know exactly what I've said for years about this organization and I've been absolutely on the money. .....but you can sweep that under the carpet too. 

I don't really want or care to say anymore on the subject, I don't need to. haha

You and others who think like you can’t seem to differentiate between doing a job poorly and having poor results with nit trying.   The NFL is filled with some if the most hyper competitive people in the world.   They want to win and they want to make money.   

You confuse bad results with not wanting to win.   Those are two different worlds.  It’s a shame you and others can’t see that.  

Archived