Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich says the word from Indy reporters is......

LJpalmbeacher2

Irsay has to abide by the Rooney Rule, so he at least has to interview candidates before handing the job to Saturday.  Of course the point of the interview process is to follow it with an objective hire.  That part seems to be lost in this rumor.

And why would retaining Ballard and Saturday be a sign that Irsay is not interested in winning? 

I guess DD doesn't like either Ballard or Jeff....I haven't followed his opinions.

Seems like DD is just cuing up future rants in case they are both retained.  

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’ll wager that Saturday is NOT the head coach next season. We’d have to win out for that to happen…… and we’ll be lucky to win one more game imo.

Have no clue if Jeff is back or not.

But really doubt he needs to win out, to be back. 

Irsay will do whatever he wants.

I'm guessing the eval, and the vibe/culture, are the primary aspects when it comes to Jeff. 

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Is it fact that Ballard "don't hire Jeff as interim"?

Never heard that... Sounds like rumor, or a narrative/assumption. 

It was reported by Pelissero and Rapoport in an article 

Colts president Pete Ward and general manager Chris Ballard, among others, spoke with Irsay and expressed their reservations, sources say

https://www.nfl.com/news/jim-irsay-hired-jeff-saturday-as-interim-head-coach-against-advice-from-colts-to

37 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

in my opinion ballard actually is a good drafter but its the way he constructs the roster that makes no sense .   you have to be able to do both not just draft well .   you cant use top ten picks on guards or pay out 20 million for linebackers .  money should go to premium positions .    if colts got jim harbaugh and kept ballard i think it could be a good team .  need jim to have control and say in who is paid and what positions he needs .  let ballard focus on drafting and let jim lead the construction of the roster

Good drafter, terrible in FA.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ballard and Saturday returned as the GM/coach combo next year, I probably won't watch a single game honestly unless it's primetime. That would be the thing that would send me over the top. I don't want Ballard back unless we draft a franchise QB, and even then, I'm not confident. 

Just hoping we let him go at the end of the year. The problem with releasing Ballard is unless Dodds or Brown takes over, we will have an all-new scouting staff, and that could be really bad for a year or two.

I'm with you. Saturday &Ballard would really test my all ready much declining interest in the colts and nfl.. And that's surprising since I don't expect much from this organization anyway, not since Luck quit on everyone. We're on our way to being the Detroit Lions of the league it seems. 

But I expect to at least drop in here to "educate" some to what's going on. Even if it's just one poster that sees the light it will be worth it. Plus keeping a eye on the NFL is a inside track to making a wager.

Bringing Ballard back bothers me less than bringing Saturday back. Irsay is the real GM now anyway, Ballard has been reduced to being a puppet, A well paid puppet though. Lol 

Saturday just doesn't strike me as being HC material. 

The gm for the Titans Jon Robinson just got fired after six WINNING seasons and practically OWNING the division but top brass said that's WASN'T good enough because they're STRIVING for more. Trading AJ Brown to Philly and then have him return with a big game was not a good look either.

Just think OUR gm has a LOSING record in SIX YEARS, has NEVER won that SAME division, has maneuvered the Colts to be ranked 31st in the league BUT that's good enough for OUR owner (who PREACHES about greatness) and some Ballard fans for the "GOOD" job he's done!!! Wow... :facepalm:

48 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But a lot of his takes do make sense. 

And a lot of moves the colts have made make you scratch your head.

Yeah, I don't get offended by radio personalities and how they deliver their thoughts...kinda the stuff the sensitive kids worry about.

I usually think DDs opinions make more sense, at least how he presents them, than the other guy, JMV. 

This one seems more like a rumor and not really an opinion.  Shock talk.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has been here six years. A leopard doesn’t chande their spots. But it’s crazy how the retirement of luck probably changed a lot of perceptions of him. But that’s on him not taking QB more serious and leaving huge holes. Luck retiring probably cost this organization another SB.

i wonder though if irsay is meddling i saw it reported twice that ballard want to draft fields but irsay and frank over ruled him to trade for wentz .   the one thing i blame ballard for is not trading up to try and get herbert or tua in 2020  that is just terrible and might cost ballard his job

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

IIRC, he didn't want to fire Frank. And perhaps he wanted an internal guy (Fox or Gus, which neither helped with O eval).

Not that he was anti-Jeff. 

And it sounded like Jim did this by himself, without Chris or other. Which threatened Chris's power... 

In short, I think there is "reaching" here. 

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

The gm for the Titans Jon Robinson just got fired after six WINNING seasons and practically OWNING the division but top brass said that's WASN'T good enough because they're STRIVING for more. Trading AJ Brown to Philly and then have him return with a big game was not a good look either.

Just think OUR gm has a LOSING record in SIX YEARS, has NEVER won that SAME division, has maneuvered the Colts to be ranked 31st in the league BUT that's good enough for OUR owner (who PREACHES about greatness) and some Ballard fans for the "GOOD" job he's done!!! Wow... :facepalm:

I wonder in some way if the titans GM getting fired has Ballard on even a shorter leash because of exactly what you said here. How do you justify keeping him when titans fired theirs after so much success. I do think it was more of a power struggle with the HC thrn anything. A little different then colts situation.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i wonder though if irsay is meddling i saw it reported twice that ballard want to draft fields but irsay and frank over ruled him to trade for wentz .   the one thing i blame ballard for is not trading up to try and get herbert or tua in 2020  that is just terrible and might cost ballard his job

This might sound dumb but what stopped them from drafting fields. Wentz only had to be kept two years to get no dead cap. Could still have traded him like we did. That Wentz trade should not of stopped them from going up and getting fields. From all accounts they loved him.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IIRC, he didn't want to fire Frank. And perhaps he wanted an internal guy (Fox or Gus, which neither helped with O eval).

Not that he was anti-Jeff. 

And it sounded like Jim did this by himself, without Chris or other. Which threatened Chris's power... 

In short, I think there is "reaching" here. 

You can read into it, I'm just going with what was reported and that was Ballard and Pete Ward didn't want Saturday as the interim HC.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This might sound dumb but what stopped them from drafting fields. Wentz only had to be kept two years to get no dead cap. Could still have traded him like we did. That Wentz trade should not of stopped them from going up and getting fields. From all accounts they loved him.

wentz ego ,he fell apart when the eagles drafted hurts in the 2nd round .   drafting fields in the first would make fragile wentz demand a trade

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I still think Saturday was used as a means to get a high draft pick. If he did well, that was also fine. With his lack of experience though, I think Irsay thought he would sink, and he has tried his best, but will probably lose the next three games before beating the Texans and we go 5-11-1.

Thats probably true along with starting SamE.

But I think that changed with all the criticism irsay received for the Saturday hire. He was greatly embarrassed by all the negative opinions. So he.did.a 180 and wants  Saturday to win to justify his hire.. The draft pick is now secondary to irasy showing every one he.was right about hiring Saturday.... that's why Ryan was reinstated as the #1 QB and SamE. was a healthy scratch.

As.bad.as Ryan is playing, he still gives them a better shot at winning than a two game starter.

Just my opinion.. Lol

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder in some way if the titans GM getting fired has Ballard on even a shorter leash because of exactly what you said here. How do you justify keeping him when titans fired theirs after so much success. I do think it was more of a power struggle with the HC thrn anything. A little different then colts situation.

I don’t know because Irsay will do what he wants to do. I agree about the power struggle apparently Mike V badly wanted to keep Brown and felt he was a championship piece but Robinson made the move to deal him.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

If Irsay is keeping Ballard around to run the draft and continue building the foundation of this team I’d hardly call that not trusting trusting him. 

You can trust him drafting but realize he doesn’t know how to get the right mix.

just listened to one percent better. Keefer mentioned as of now Ballard will be back but not to trust what Irsay says now. Do that is where DD is getting it.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wentz was expected to be the guy for several years. He's under contract through 2024, his average for the Colts would have been about $25m/year, which is now about half of what the top guys make. He was 29 years old. The aspirational plan was for him to be something close to a franchise level QB for us. And they traded a future 1st to get him.

Moving up in 2021 would have been difficult without that 2022 1st. And it would have committed even more resources to the QB position, at a time when you're hoping the guy you just traded for would be really good for you. 

No doubt, the choice was between trading for Wentz, or drafting a QB. And they chose Wentz.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I mean Robinson wasn't a good drafter, yeah he hit with Henry, Jefferson, and Brown but traded Brown for Burks who isn't looking nearly as good. Caleb Farley has a pff of 42.5, Idk if the OT Wilson from 2020 is even in the league anymore. not to mention 2017 first-round wideout Corey Davis and first-round cornerback Adoree' Jackson both not on the team anymore.

Honestly I give more credit to Vrabel, and how he gets the best out of his players. 

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Is it fact that Ballard "don't hire Jeff as interim"?

Never heard that... Sounds like rumor, or a narrative/assumption. 

For what it’s worth, there was a story that said both Ballard and the team President told Irsay not to hire Saturday.   Honestly, I thought Irsay WAS the team President, but apparently not.  It’s someone else. 

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

You can read into it, I'm just going with what was reported and that was Ballard and Pete Ward didn't want Saturday as the interim HC.

The article doesn't say Chris said "don't hire Jeff" or is a horrible choice... it implies he preferred Gus or Fox. 

I think the article (and fans) is reading into things. I'm sure there were several different opinions. 

Some wanted Gus. Some wanted Fox. Some probably wanted Bubba. Some probably wanted one of assistant O guys. 

The article does provide any details... just the VP and GM prefered others. 

But doubt anyone said Fox is a bad option. Or xxxx is a bad option... Just like a normal situation, lots of opinions. 

And Irsay's opinion won. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, there was a story that said both Ballard and the team President told Irsay not to hire Saturday.   Honestly, I thought Irsay WAS the team President, but apparently not.  It’s someone else. 

I read the article. The article suggested that both preferred Gus/Fox. Not that they said "do not hire Saturday".

Sounds like a candidate conversation/discussion. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wentz was expected to be the guy for several years. He's under contract through 2024, his average for the Colts would have been about $25m/year, which is now about half of what the top guys make. He was 29 years old. The aspirational plan was for him to be something close to a franchise level QB for us. And they traded a future 1st to get him.

Moving up in 2021 would have been difficult without that 2022 1st. And it would have committed even more resources to the QB position, at a time when you're hoping the guy you just traded for would be really good for you. 

No doubt, the choice was between trading for Wentz, or drafting a QB. And they chose Wentz.

I understand what they were thinking but for that unexpected opportunity to draft fields came up so maybe thinking should have changed. 

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Once you don’t trust the GM it’s time to let them go.

I speculated in another thread that maybe firing Reich and keeping Ballard is a sign of trust in Ballard, and maybe Irsay is admitting that they should have done it Ballard's way all along. Totally speculation from my own mind, and not a rumor.

My point is that we don't know that Irsay doesn't trust Ballard. Maybe it looks that way because Irsay's fingerprints have been all over recent decisions, but it's possible that Irsay has realized that Ballard is the only one who had the right idea at QB over the last 2-3 years.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I read the article. The article suggested that both preferred Gus/Fox. Not that they said "do not hire Saturday".

Sounds like a candidate conversation/discussion. 

now you are changing the quote it said 

Colts president Pete Ward and general manager Chris Ballard, among others, spoke with Irsay and expressed their reservations, sources say

Then after that part the reporter suggests reasons why but that is all speculations

The Colts have former head coaches John Fox and Gus Bradley on staff, as well as a rising star in special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone. But sources say Irsay was hellbent on hiring Saturday, who revealed that Irsay called him during last Sunday's loss to the Patriots to ask about Indianapolis' problems on the offensive line.

Archived