Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich says the word from Indy reporters is......

LJpalmbeacher2

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't believe that. If anything, they weren't going to pay him $25m again. I think Rivers was ready to retire, and that was that. In fact, most reporting has been that the Colts wanted him to stay.

Not sure if it has been confirmed, but I heard on K & Q that the reason Rivers didn't come back is because he wasn't going to get vaccinated. Sounded like it was definitive for them, but they didn't dig deep into, just that Irsay may have also had a hand in Rivers not coming back even though Reich and Ballard wanted him to. If I remember correctly, it was widely reported that Rivers initially wanted a 2-year deal because he planned on playing at least two more years, then surprisingly he decided to retire after just one year. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colts just need to shuffle and adjust and get better at the most important positions. That might have to be a mini rebuild if we have to trade up for A QB. That might involve some players. Still need better depth on that dline. QB and fix the oline. Add maybe one more dynamic WR. Especially if Parris leaves. I think the WR group will be good with a competent offense and QB.

37 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Here we go... Q was already considered a generational type coming out of college. JT led the nation in rushing. He dropped because he had a lot of carries and a lot of mileage which scared some teams off. Pittman was a top receiver at USC but lacked nfl burst.

Outside of Leonard who was unknown at the time but exploded on the nfl scene I would say that most of Ballard's picks are overachievers and OVERVALUED in general. He's not changing the wheel like a Polian who drafted many HOF players or ones that soon will be. I ask you how many on THIS roster that he's drafted have that potential? Q or Leonard maybe and their outlook long term appears sketchy due to recent surgeries.

Honestly it's too early to tell with anyone on this roster, and I don't think Polian changed the wheel at all, in fact the league went in the opposite direction when it came to when to draft RBs. But I was talking about why the Titans moved on from Robinson because of his poor drafting, the easiest example is a Wilson who was a 1st round pick in 2020 and isn't in the league 2 years later.

33 minutes ago, SurfinKal said:

Not sure if it has been confirmed, but I heard on K & Q that the reason Rivers didn't come back is because he wasn't going to get vaccinated. Sounded like it was definitive for them, but they didn't dig deep into, just that Irsay may have also had a hand in Rivers not coming back even though Reich and Ballard wanted him to. If I remember correctly, it was widely reported that Rivers initially wanted a 2-year deal because he planned on playing at least two more years, then surprisingly he decided to retire after just one year. 

I doubt that very much.

You never know with Irsay but I don’t think Irsay worked as hard as he did to get Jeff and get Jeff to give up the cushy job he had for him to leave after half a season.  I don’t think many in the coaching world see this as a true interim hire which is why they are so outraged by it and why some see what Irsay did as a way to get around the Rooney rule. I also don’t think Irsay cares one bit about having to sell this to the fans.  He just wants the guy HE thinks is best for the job and doesn’t care what others think other than maybe his daughters and Ballard and even then I think their word only goes so far.  

Also most fans like Saturday and are willing to give him a chance and will be willing to give him a chance even after this season is over.  We are an echo chamber of diehard fans.  First the Colts already have us second we don’t represent the majority of casual fans who just like Saturday and don’t spend hours each week breaking down what happened and what will happen.  They just see a guy as a former player they loved and are willing to support him.  

Again, with Irsay you just never know.  He isn’t afraid to think outside the box and he’s not scared of making unpopular decisions if his gut tells him it’s the right thing to do.  However, if I had to guess right now I’d say Ballard and Saturday are the duo moving forward unless Ballard decides to walk away at seasons end.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think many in the coaching world see this as a true interim hire which is why they are so outraged by it and why some see what Irsay did as a way to get around the Rooney rule.

I don't see the logic. If Irsay wanted to hire Saturday he could do so in full compliance with the Rooney Rule. All of that outrage is just a red herring. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't see the logic. If Irsay wanted to hire Saturday he could do so in full compliance with the Rooney Rule. All of that outrage is just a red herring. 

I think they see this as him using the interim tag to not have to follow the Rooney rule when he has ever intention of making Jeff the full time coach.  Is Irsay the only Owner to decide who he wants as his coach before doing interviews and just do token interviews to meet the rule?  No.  I just think some see this as blatant and I also don’t think they would be as outraged if they truly thought Jeff was just going to be the interim coach.  Again that’s just my opinion, clearly not a factual statement.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they see this as him using the interim tag to not have to follow the Rooney rule when he has ever intention of making Jeff the full time coach.  Is Irsay the only Owner to decide who he wants as his coach before doing interviews and just do token interviews to meet the rule?  No.  I just think some see this as blatant and I also don’t think they would be as outraged if they truly thought Jeff was just going to be the interim coach.  Again that’s just my opinion, clearly not a factual statement.

I think it's just a lazy add-on to a different complaint, and underlying it all is they don't like how the establishment guy was tossed aside in favor of a friend of the owner with an unorthodox resume for a HC. I don't think there was any deeper analysis of it than just another way to be critical of something they didn't like. JMO.

Ultimately, before a full time HC is hired, the Rooney Rule has to be complied with, even if that coach was previously the interim. There's no getting around it. But, if Saturday is named the HC after this season, I think criticism of his hire will be warranted.

(Also, while I don't think the Rooney Rule is the right approach to this issue, if it's going to stay, it should apply to interim coaches if that coach is hired from outside the team. Not saying Irsay skirted the rule or that the outrage was legitimate. But this seems like a blind spot that will be addressed before long.)

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ballard and Saturday returned as the GM/coach combo next year, I probably won't watch a single game honestly unless it's primetime. That would be the thing that would send me over the top. I don't want Ballard back unless we draft a franchise QB, and even then, I'm not confident. 

Just hoping we let him go at the end of the year. The problem with releasing Ballard is unless Dodds or Brown takes over, we will have an all-new scouting staff, and that could be really bad for a year or two.

Agreed and I hope Dodds takes over as GM for that reason. I do like our scouting department and especially Morocco Brown. But in regards to HC, it would serve this team well to have someone who has an extensive coaching background and is also a great leader of men. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We disagree here on the last two sentences. I think that you have to have a solid GM to bring the right talent in. As long as you have a coach with a playbook that caters to their schemes, the talent can overcome an average/below average coach if the team is good enough (especially at the right positions).

Ballard's 2018 and 2020 years proved this IMO. Once the QB play went down, the coaching couldn't make up for it. Now with a bad O-Line, no amount of coaching can help on offense. 

Just me, but if I have to have one of the two be great, it's the GM, and I'll find a passable coach to coach my elite talent.

Its A players league so of course you need a good GM to bring in good players.

But what I failed at explaining my.view is I don't think being a Good GM is as difficult as being a.good.HC. 

I know being a GM is more than looking at the FA list and having a TV, Internet, and watching YouTube highlights of draftees .....like I'm sure you do with your mocks.. But how many times you were right on players and real GM's were wrong?? I bet you had your.share of hits over them, especially the lower franchises.....I know I have, I had Marlin Mack to us(A good pick by Ballard and me).... I had Waller WR from GT and I wanted to convert him to a TE...and that's exactly what they did..i was really proud of that one...many more examples and I'm sure you and others here too. Some of the posters here really know their onions on.colleges players. And it doesn't matter where they get or how they form their opinions. They are doing their best with much less resources than the real GM's. And some.of.their mocks were as.good.or.better than real teams drafts and off season.moves too.

Can we do worse than Ballards off seasons??

I dont know about you But being a HC is something I couldn't even fantasize of doing.Lol

The 3 things a.successful team needs is a.franchise/elite QB, A good coach, especially at coming up.with game plans and adjusting as game.goes on, and of.course a good GM that brings in high level ta!ent and players that fit the scheme. 

They all need to be good and in my opinion finding a good GM is easier than a really good.HC. 

I'll.take belichek.as my HC and YOU as the GM over Saturday & Ballard..haha

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Agreed and I hope Dodds takes over as GM for that reason. I do like our scouting department and especially Morocco Brown. But in regards to HC, it would serve this team well to have someone who has an extensive coaching background and is also a great leader of men. 

What about a leader of Digital men.....like the ones in Madden?? :funny:

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think it's just a lazy add-on to a different complaint, and underlying it all is they don't like how the establishment guy was tossed aside in favor of a friend of the owner with an unorthodox resume for a HC. I don't think there was any deeper analysis of it than just another way to be critical of something they didn't like. JMO.

Ultimately, before a full time HC is hired, the Rooney Rule has to be complied with, even if that coach was previously the interim. There's no getting around it. But, if Saturday is named the HC after this season, I think criticism of his hire will be warranted.

(Also, while I don't think the Rooney Rule is the right approach to this issue, if it's going to stay, it should apply to interim coaches if that coach is hired from outside the team. Not saying Irsay skirted the rule or that the outrage was legitimate. But this seems like a blind spot that will be addressed before long.)

I’m willing to bet they will adjust the Rooney rule this off-season simply based on what Irsay did, and the outcry of some in the media. Any and all coaching hires from HC down to assistants at all positions requiring it. 

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This might sound dumb but what stopped them from drafting fields. Wentz only had to be kept two years to get no dead cap. Could still have traded him like we did. That Wentz trade should not of stopped them from going up and getting fields. From all accounts they loved him.

Nobody trades a 1 and a 3 to acquire a QB for 2 years and then 5-6 weeks later trades at least two more 1’s plus 3’s/4’s to sit Fields for two years behind Wentz.

Not playing Fields for two years would put him on the clock for his rookie contract.  Hard to make a decision about picking up a 5th year option which is a decision a team has to make before Y4.   In your scenario, Fields would only have one year of starting.

Sorry,  but it’s not the least bit realistic.   

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That actually a good point. Ballard still can’t be forgiven for the oline holes. But I personally think Ryan is so bad that it’s making it worse then it is.

Could of traded for Foles as your vet and went after fields. Foles just would of been insurance in case you weren’t able to get Fields. Then they don’t trade for Carson.

There was no need to trade for Foles.  He wasn’t good enough to be a season long starter and had a bad contract that was coming off the books.   We were able to sign him as a FA for a far more modest contract that fit his correct role as a backup.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I speculated in another thread that maybe firing Reich and keeping Ballard is a sign of trust in Ballard, and maybe Irsay is admitting that they should have done it Ballard's way all along. Totally speculation from my own mind, and not a rumor.

My point is that we don't know that Irsay doesn't trust Ballard. Maybe it looks that way because Irsay's fingerprints have been all over recent decisions, but it's possible that Irsay has realized that Ballard is the only one who had the right idea at QB over the last 2-3 years.

Jada Pinkett Smith Interest GIF by Red Table Talk

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To the Bolded, I'm not a Dakich defender, but you better give other people who praise Ballard zero credibility as well or this is hypocritical. Really, with your extreme viewpoint, the only people who get credibility are the people who praised Polian and bashed Grigson and Ballard.

nah.  He was overly dishing out the praise for Grigson the time I listened.  Not just any praise or praising a specific thing about Grigson.  

Not hypocritical in the slightest

I don't think Dakich knows anything more than anyone else. It's just conjecture.

I'm fine w/ Saturday being the coach. Not calling a T.O. didn't cost them that game. 

Ballard MUST pull the trigger on a QB in the first round, and the team still needs an actual OC and a real O-Line coach. 

Personally I take anything that comes out of Dakich's mouth with a grain of salt. The dude wouldn't even have a job if it wasn't for his coattails connecting him to Bobby Knight. IMO he is nothing but a loud mouth blow hard. Indiana deserves a much better representative than this radio hack.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You never know with Irsay but I don’t think Irsay worked as hard as he did to get Jeff and get Jeff to give up the cushy job he had for him to leave after half a season.  I don’t think many in the coaching world see this as a true interim hire which is why they are so outraged by it and why some see what Irsay did as a way to get around the Rooney rule. I also don’t think Irsay cares one bit about having to sell this to the fans.  He just wants the guy HE thinks is best for the job and doesn’t care what others think other than maybe his daughters and Ballard and even then I think their word only goes so far.  

Also most fans like Saturday and are willing to give him a chance and will be willing to give him a chance even after this season is over.  We are an echo chamber of diehard fans.  First the Colts already have us second we don’t represent the majority of casual fans who just like Saturday and don’t spend hours each week breaking down what happened and what will happen.  They just see a guy as a former player they loved and are willing to support him.  

Again, with Irsay you just never know.  He isn’t afraid to think outside the box and he’s not scared of making unpopular decisions if his gut tells him it’s the right thing to do.  However, if I had to guess right now I’d say Ballard and Saturday are the duo moving forward unless Ballard decides to walk away at seasons end.

Irsay better be concerned with our offense. Who will come here with a better philosophy than Reichs.

And will it take the HC job to get them here.

Then he needs to figure out if Ballards philosophy works for the new offense.

1 hour ago, KB said:

If Saturday does stay as the HC we are going to need to bring in a seasoned OC. That's the only way to balance it out in my eyes. Anyone have suggestions for an OC and their style of offense?

I want Saturday back, he brings toughness to the team. But yes a seasoned OC would be ideal then. 

Bring back M. Ryan but draft a QB like the kid from North Carolina.  

Just now, tfunky14 said:

I want Saturday back, he brings toughness to the team. But yes a seasoned OC would be ideal then. 

Bring back M. Ryan but draft a QB like the kid from North Carolina.  

They have played relatively better since he's been the HC. Have Gus run the D, the new OC run the O, and Jeff just has to manage/lead the team as a whole. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

2 hours ago, KB said:

If Saturday does stay as the HC we are going to need to bring in a seasoned OC. That's the only way to balance it out in my eyes. Anyone have suggestions for an OC and their style of offense?

Keep an eye on Darrell Bevell... IF Ballard stays. As a matter of fact look for Bevell to be in play for the hc position IF Saturday walks. Ballard has always liked Bevell and anything realated to those Legion of Boom Seahawks in which Bevell was oc. There might be some type of Wisconsin ties too.

7 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’m willing to bet they will adjust the Rooney rule this off-season simply based on what Irsay did, and the outcry of some in the media. Any and all coaching hires from HC down to assistants at all positions requiring it. 

That won’t work. There is no time to go through the process when you fire a coach mid season.

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

A new GM might even bypass a QB for a year. Just to evaluate the roster. So it would be nice if one of those guys got the job.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like Jeff Saturday.   I hope he remains within the organization.   I’d like to see him remain in the organization.   Not as the Head Coach.    But perhaps as Senior Aide to the Owner.   He can sit in Irsay’s box in games and tell him what he sees.

But I don’t see a future NFL head coach.  I think the organization and Irsay would take a tremendous hit if Irsay hires him permanently.   I hope that doesn’t happen. 

I still see him as a guy involved in Football Operations, have said that before. Someone who is trusted by the owner as a liason between GM and HC so that the owner doesn't need to have those awkward conversations and hears it straight from a guy he trusts. Saturday, we know, will give it straight if he sees some things not going in the right direction, sooner than later. A situation like Grigson/Pagano would have benefited from a guy in Football Operations like Saturday nipping it in the bud and getting them on the same page instead of letting things boil over to potentially an irredeemable situation.  :2c:

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I should have been more clear in my first post.  I think there are two different groups upset for different reasons but the reasons they are so upset is that they don’t think this is just going to be just an interim hire.  That’s the real point I was trying to make.  

I think you have a group of people who are upset because they saw this as Irsay skirting the Rooney rule and then I think you do have a group in the coaching community upset because Irsay went outside their community to get Saturday and they don’t think he’s paid his dues so to speak.  

Of those I am only really concerned about the later and I am only concerned about them because you could have some assistants who don’t want to work with Saturday if they are good enough to have other job opportunities if Saturday is the guy going forward after this season.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A new GM might even bypass a QB for a year. Just to evaluate the roster. So it would be nice if one of those guys got the job.

No reason to though. The QB position is the cornerstone around which franchises are built. Even if you want a rookie QB to redshirt like Carson Palmer or Patrick Mahomes for the most part, you get the one you feel you can develop and get a guy like Jimmy G with injury guarantees and see where it takes you, while buying some time.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No reason to though. The QB position is the cornerstone around which franchises are built. Even if you want a rookie QB to redshirt like Carson Palmer or Patrick Mahomes for the most part, you get the one you feel you can develop and get a guy like Jimmy G with injury guarantees and see where it takes you, while buying some time.

I know but we have to see how high we get first. If it requires trading  some players to get to one  I can see it. There would be a lot on a new GM plate to get done in a short time. I can see him trading  players ect to position themselves for 24. I hope it doesn’t happen but I think it could.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt they pay Jimmy when we will already be on the hook for Ryan. Foles is also still under contract.  My guess is if they draft a rookie Ryan will retire or be traded and Foles will be the backup.

DD liked Grigson and never said anything good about Chris ever.

I think CB can draft talent but we need to focus on premium positions.  I dont really care if CB comes back or not at this point.

Jeff probably isnt the best choice out there

I doubt Dan has heard much that we have not, hes not that connected to the team

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt they pay Jimmy when we will already be on the hook for Ryan. Foles is also still under contract.  My guess is if they draft a rookie Ryan will retire or be traded and Foles will be the backup.

1 year deal with incentives for about $13 mil. in cap hit (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/)  is what Jimmy is getting now, they can definitely pull off something like that, especially if they save $17 mil. with Ryan by letting him go.

12 hours ago, coming on strong said:

in my opinion ballard actually is a good drafter but its the way he constructs the roster that makes no sense .   you have to be able to do both not just draft well .   you cant use top ten picks on guards or pay out 20 million for linebackers .  money should go to premium positions .    if colts got jim harbaugh and kept ballard i think it could be a good team .  need jim to have control and say in who is paid and what positions he needs .  let ballard focus on drafting and let jim lead the construction of the roster

I think this is spot on.  I also think that ballard is seasoned now and will have learned from these errors.  

Sometimes it takes a few years for people to be good at what they do.  I'd give him more time.

Archived