Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich says the word from Indy reporters is......

LJpalmbeacher2

Dakich is a shock jock, fun to listen too if you like that sort of thing. He tries to be a poor man's Howard Stern. I don't really think his football knowledge is all that good, he also thought Grigson was a great GM if that tells you anything. When it comes to college basketball I respect what he says, he played it and coached it.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Apparently the powers-that-be agreed, because he just got canned. @stitches

That's not a bad outcome, but the biggest problem is not that Dan Dakich had a prime time platform on Indy radio to spew his nonsense for more than a decade. The biggest problem is that there were enough people to listen to him and make that show tenable for more than a decade. Because those people are still here and they will continue to seek similar content and thus similar content will get promoted. I hope I'm wrong. 

Just now, stitches said:

That's not a bad outcome, but the biggest problem is not that Dan Dakich had a prime time platform on Indy radio to spew his nonsense for more than a decade. The biggest problem is that there were enough people to listen to him and make that show tenable for more than a decade. Because those people are still here and they will continue to seek similar content and thus similar content will get promoted. I hope I'm wrong. 

I figured it would eventually catch up to him. A lot of people love negativity and shock value, it brings good ratings but after a while when one has no idea what they are talking about and being rude to your callers, people catch on. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's the cycle. And those people talk about how everyone who doesn't see things their way is naive, ignorant, in denial, etc. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JMV could do his show for 50 years because he respects everyone's opinion. He has criticized our team but he doesn't go over board with it and he knows how to talk to callers. He is the best Indy has and I have said that for 10 years.

I am lucky enough to have met John and get to know him a little so I am bias but he IS one of his listeners and you couldn’t meet a nicer guy as long as you treat him with some respect.

4 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I was far from a Dan Dakich fan, but when you can’t speak freely this nation is in trouble. The beauty of free speech is you’re allowed to say whatever you want no matter how negative it may be. 

anyone rejoicing this firing doesn’t value free speech like they should. Just my 2 cents. 

Free speech is about the government not passing laws saying you can’t say things or throwing you in jail for something you said.  It was never designed for or used in private business.  People get fired all the time for things they say or do if the company feels it paints them in a bad light.  Don’t believe me?  Go tell your boss he’s an * and see how quickly you are let go.

2 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I was far from a Dan Dakich fan, but when you can’t speak freely this nation is in trouble. The beauty of free speech is you’re allowed to say whatever you want no matter how negative it may be. 

anyone rejoicing this firing doesn’t value free speech like they should. Just my 2 cents. 

I am all for free speech and preach it every day but when you start putting your callers down treating them like garbage that is going overboard. I don't like anyone getting fired but he did it to himself. 

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't listen too today's show and I think everyone has a right to what politics they believe in but over the years it had to be a combo of things. I am an independent so I could care less what someone believes from that aspect. 

His rudeness toward callers and putting down people that played sports and coached and GM'd done him in IMO. 

I never disliked Dakich because of his politics.  I am with you in that I disliked him because of how he treated anyone who disagreed with him and then played the victim card anytime someone said something negative about him.

Now that’s me.  Recently the fan was bought by a fairly liberal company and it wouldn’t shock me if his politics didn’t go over well with the stations new owners.  Whatever the reason that’s life in a private business.  If you say something the owner doesn’t like they can let you go for it.  Like I said before free speech doesn’t and was never designed to apply to a private business.

Look I’m all for freedom of speech. More so than most. But if the owners or bosses or your job don’t like what you’re expressing while representing them, you really have two choices, do it anyway and find out what happens or suck it up and not do the stuff they don’t like. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JMV could do his show for 50 years because he respects everyone's opinion. He has criticized our team but he doesn't go over board with it and he knows how to talk to callers. He is the best Indy has and I have said that for 10 years.

I started out listening to Dakich, but after about a year of tuning in daily, and his weird borderline stalker obsession with Lilly King , I started listening to JMV instead 

I dont like DD but just because he left that job was he FIRED? He has other shows and things he does.  I know he did't like the change with things that just happened with the changes with the station. Just because somebody isn;t with a program anymore doesn;t meen they was canned. I'm not sayign he was or wasn't Idk .

19 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I dont like DD but just because he left that job was he FIRED? He has other shows and things he does.  I know he did't like the change with things that just happened with the changes with the station. Just because somebody isn;t with a program anymore doesn;t meen they was canned. I'm not sayign he was or wasn't Idk .

Good point.  I saw a story that said the details around him leaving were unknown.  It’s possible he decided to leave.

4 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

wrong-not-true.gif

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Free speech is about the government not passing laws saying you can’t say things or throwing you in jail for something you said.  It was never designed for or used in private business.  People get fired all the time for things they say or do if the company feels it paints them in a bad light.  Don’t believe me?  Go tell your boss he’s an * and see how quickly you are let go.

Free speech is free speech. Not just gov... 

You can say whatever you want. But yes, you'll get fired if you say the wrong thing.

I have zero issues if you get fired because you were unprofessional (like calling your boss a XXXX). 

I have zero issues if you get fired because you are barrier of business (profit).  

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Free speech is free speech. Not just gov... 

You can say whatever you want. But yes, you'll get fired if you say the wrong thing.

But that's the thing...Bonehead jones up there complaining about not having free speech thinks people should be able to say what they want with zero repercussions from...anyone.  That's just not the way it works.  There's the right to free speech provided by the constitution, which prevents the government from punishing you for what you say.  Other than that, the type of "free speech" that these people want simply doesn't exist.  You can say what you want, but if you do that in the wrong place, in front of the wrong people, there can be repercussions, such as losing your job.  

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

But that's the thing...Bonehead jones up there complaining about not having free speech thinks people should be able to say what they want with zero repercussions from...anyone.  That's just not the way it works.  There's the right to free speech provided by the constitution, which prevents the government from punishing you for what you say.  Other than that, the type of "free speech" that these people want simply doesn't exist.  You can say what you want, but if you do that in the wrong place, in front of the wrong people, there can be repercussions, such as losing your job.  

I mean in theory no one can stop you from saying anything.  So I guess in that sense free speech does exist all the time but what also exists in consequences for what you say.  Despite what some think that’s not cancel culture it’s accountability for one’s actions.  So in other words sure you can say it but do you want to face the consequences for what you said?  I think some feel like they shouldn’t face consequences for anything they say and that’s not how society works and never has been.  

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

I have zero problems with firings. That's the price, and everyone has a choice. 

I do have a problem, when speech is limited, because one side disagrees. 

Dakich might have been fired, but he can say whatever wants.

He can still tweet, do podcasts, join another program, etc.. 

I would have fired him a long time, simply because I never liked him lol.. 

But had nothing to do with free speech. Just entertainment/style preference. 

8 hours ago, stitches said:

Dakich has a hero that has been spewing nonsense for about 7 years now. Not gonna name names, but it's not hard to figure out. They both have now been fired.  Hope they both become irrelevant because about 40% of America lives in an anti-truth reality. It's mind boggling to be honest.

7 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I agree so much with you!  You gotta love the crazy humor and ideas that came out of Dakich.  I'm thinking it was his political statements he has said recently and didn't set well with the new owners.  Too bad!  You should be able to filter out what you thought was true or just him making a crazy opinion!  But........it was good to have a local on the radio...now who will we get, some bozo that is national?

Gregg Doyel on Dakich from back in July.

“So insightful about basketball and the inner workings of a team, he now fancies himself a political talking head, adding a second daily show on a right-wing radio station that specializes in conspiracy theories, half-truths, outright lies and hate. His handful of supporters tell Dakich he’s wise, and he believes it.”

Doyel saw this coming from a mile away. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2022/07/18/dan-dakich-rants-lies-twitter-beefs-and-bullying-indiana-indianapolis-1070-the-fan-outkick-espn/65374633007/

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Dumb…..

Rooney Rule in effect at the end of the season.

That front office is tighter than a drum, ain’t no “reporters” are scooping what is or is not happening inside that building.

What does the rooney rule have to do with this topic?

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean in theory no one can stop you from saying anything.  So I guess in that sense free speech does exist all the time but what also exists in consequences for what you say.  Despite what some think that’s not cancel culture it’s accountability for one’s actions.  So in other words sure you can say it but do you want to face the consequences for what you said?  I think some feel like they shouldn’t face consequences for anything they say and that’s not how society works and never has been.  

please, explain to me what cancel culture is in comparison? Maybe you can educate me. Speaking isn’t an action. So it can’t be a consequence of one’s actions. It’s consequence for one’s speech. Serious question. 

5 hours ago, Nancy said:

I agree so much with you!  You gotta love the crazy humor and ideas that came out of Dakich.  I'm thinking it was his political statements he has said recently and didn't set well with the new owners.  Too bad!  You should be able to filter out what you thought was true or just him making a crazy opinion!  But........it was good to have a local on the radio...now who will we get, some bozo that is national?

I didn’t need to agree with everything he said but I did enjoy his takes on the Colts, and agreed with most of it. 

Archived