Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tell me about you as a Colts fan!

Happy2BeHere

Tell me about you as a fan!  

139 members have voted

1. 1. About what year did you become a Colts fan?

2. 2. Are you a diehard fan of any other NFL team besides the Colts?

3. 3. Have you attended a Colts game live?

4. 4. Where did you see the Colts live ?

5. 5. We’re you born in Indiana?

6. 6. Where do you currently live?

• Indiana
    • Somewhere in the U.S.A. (Other than Indiana)
    • Canada
    • Somewhere other than the U.S.A. / Canada

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

My addiction started when Johnny U took over the QB job. It was love at first sight. Living in Chicago then they were in the same group as the Bears. My most memorable moment has to be lying on the living room floor watching the Colts NYG game when Ameche drove through fof the winning TD. My dad was not a sports fan and was convinced I was having fits screaming and rolling all over the floor. There was a great question of who was the better QB Unitas of Starr back then. I am pushing 75 very soon and I am still a fan but I can't roll around on the floor like I used to! ;)

Man you are old (sarcasm, joking). For the record Unitas was better than Starr. I have seen film on both and I know their resumes. I have been a fan since 1984 since I was 13, the first time I really got excited was when Dickerson got traded here in 1987. I knew we had the best team in the AFC East then. Dickerson was a one man wrecking crew.

• Like 2

Welp ! Born in 1962, was too young to know, that I was going to grow up Stupid. So I ended up going with the flow, because everyone is stupid ! 

That worked out for me really well, because I blended right in, and became a face in the crowd of Ignorance. I didn't blame the horse for kicking me, but the shoe left and imprint on my sole, Then Mom got me a Autographed Johnny Unitas Football for Christmas, then I understood the behavior of winning. Colts will always be my team, Win, Lose, or Draw.. Go Colts !!

• Like 4

I became football-aware around 1978 when the family was living in a suburb of DC.  One day before school, my mom said there was a sale on NFL letterman jackets and asked me what team I wanted.  I told her to get me the Falcons, since I liked their helmets.  When I got home from school, she had bought me the Colts, because the store didn’t have Atlanta and she thought the Colts’ colors were “pretty”.  

Years later, I had moved to Western Washington state and the Colts had moved to Indy.  It was impossible in the 1980s to see a Colt game on TV or buy any Colt merchandise locally in the Tacoma area.  But somehow my parents had obtained a Colt T-shirt for my birthday.  I vowed to wear it every Monday after a Colt win.  That was the year they started 0-13.  I started wearing the shirt on Mondays after they scored a TD…

• Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 9:21 AM, Archer said:

I became football-aware around 1978 when the family was living in a suburb of DC.  One day before school, my mom said there was a sale on NFL letterman jackets and asked me what team I wanted.  I told her to get me the Falcons, since I liked their helmets.  When I got home from school, she had bought me the Colts, because the store didn’t have Atlanta and she thought the Colts’ colors were “pretty”.  

Years later, I had moved to Western Washington state and the Colts had moved to Indy.  It was impossible in the 1980s to see a Colt game on TV or buy any Colt merchandise locally in the Tacoma area.  But somehow my parents had obtained a Colt T-shirt for my birthday.  I vowed to wear it every Monday after a Colt win.  That was the year they started 0-13.  I started wearing the shirt on Mondays after they scored a TD…

In the late 80's, early 90's, I bought a lot of Colts T and sweat shirts off the discount rack after the season. I would see more people wearing Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Chicago stuff around here, and it's just over 100 miles south of Indy.

• Like 2

It’s funny and weird how I became a colts fan.

so in 2000 I got the ps2 and the first game my dad got for me was madden 2001.  I didn’t know anything about the nfl but I knew about football.   My favorite color is blue so I figured the first blue team (the blue that I liked, moreso navy or royal blue) I came across was going to be my favorite team, of course it was colts.  Started actually following them in 2005.  Been a fan ever since.  

Later, I became a lurker of the site.  Can’t remember when I started lurking.  But I joined in 2011.

• Like 4

My football and Colts fandom started very late. I've always been interested in sports of all sorts, but in my country American football was not really a sport anyone had any interest in so I was oblivious to it for most of my life. The first time I watched a game of football was when I went to uni in Canada... I went to a few games of the football team of my university with friends and it looked like a good way to spend a few hours with friends, but my love for the game didn't start until a friend of mine hooked me to the NFL. Now that was a competition and a show that truly enthralled me. It was just about the perfect mix of athleticism, savagery, skill and fanaticism to grab my attention. 

At the time I didn't have any team I was rooting for so I was just enjoying the game. But at the end of the 2011 season I decided it's time for me to pick a side and complete my destiny as a fan not just of the sport but of a specific team. I decided I wanted to pick a team with an exciting rookie QB, first so I wouldn't be a glory-hunter/fair-weather fan and second so I can have my fandom grow along with the team and the QB of my team. My options were limited to the Colts(Luck) and the Redskins (RG3). At the time I decided to let my feelings and attraction grow naturally and not force myself into any direction so I started watching both teams and both QBs every week and both had great rookie years to follow, but slowly bit by bit I just started drifting towards the Colts. No idea why... I just thought Luck was a fascinating player and the team seemed so likeable at the time. An underdog story - team going from 2 wins to 11 in just one season. TY was showing great potential. By the end of that season I was a Colts fan and haven't looked back since.

Luck was the gateway and my Cupid when it comes to the Colts. That's why his slow breakdown and his early retirement hurt so bad for me. That's why I will never forgive Grigson and Pagano for what they did to that amazing football talent. And now we find ourselves in another fork in the road with the potential to get another star QB for the team. I guess my enjoyment of the process will depend on how good the new QB is... but one thing is for sure... whoever it is, and however good he is, I cannot wait to follow the journey. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, smittywerb said:

It’s funny and weird how I became a colts fan.

so in 2000 I got the ps2 and the first game my dad got for me was madden 2001.  I didn’t know anything about the nfl but I knew about football.   My favorite color is blue so I figured the first blue team (the blue that I liked, moreso navy or royal blue) I came across was going to be my favorite team, of course it was colts.  Started actually following them in 2005.  Been a fan ever since.  

Later, I became a lurker of the site.  Can’t remember when I started lurking.  But I joined in 2011.

We have very similar story. I too liked the colour scheme. The big draw fir me was I sucked at O so I picked a good one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

We have very similar story. I too liked the colour scheme. The big draw fir me was I sucked at O so I picked a good one.

I am a guy who grew up in the magnetic, or Photo electric Football years.

I think it's cool  that a lot of fans now got interested in the NFL, by playing Madden, or other video games. My nephews are two examples, they never physically played the game, but they are knowledgeable, and rabid fans, after getting Madden when they were in their teens.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

yeah, Madden with Peyton was a cheat code.  Especially with Dallas Clark.  I would just line him up out side and he would cook any linebacker not named Pat Willis lol

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I live in Scotland and have been a colts fan since earl 2000s.

My dad would regularly travel to Indianapolis and bring back some hats t-shirts etc. 

We travelled down to London to see them in 2016 and it was an amazing experience.

This was only beaten in 2018 when we came to states for my 50th birthday taking in Colts v jets inNew York then travelling to your beautiful city to see Colts v Bill, which was the first game I saw them win. 

The Colts are not a big team in UK, so often check in here to keep up to date with what is happening with the team both in off season and during the playing weeks.

I continue to hope the team is picked for another London game, or that I get the chance to travel back to USA sometime soon.

• Like 6

I was born and raised in southern Indiana...grew up a Dolphins fan in the 70s....when Colts moved to Indy in early 80s I started following the Colts some...it took a few years to change into a full time Colts fan. By the time Harbaugh got us into the AFC Champioship vs Steelers I was a fully a Colts fan. 

• Like 4

I was born in 83 in Owensboro Kentucky.  My family was not into football so it took me a few years before I got Into it.  I first got into Dan Marino and the dolphins around 4th grade and tried to follow them, but about the only games I got was prime time games.  Since the colts were on every week, I decided to make them my team.  I’m wanting to say it was around 1995 or 96, Jim harbough was qb at the time.

• Like 5

Possibly the first game I can recall watching on TV was the 1958 Championship game between the Baltimore Colts and the NY Giants.  I live in upstate NY, so my family and most of my friends were all Giants fans.  The Giants had many famous players that I knew Conerly, Gifford, Rote and a super defense with Huff, Rosie Grier, Robustelli to name a few.  However, for me, all I remember was Unitas.  I became a Colts fan then and there.  I was always controversial in my fandom.  I wanted to be different than my brothers and my friends.  In baseball, my whole neighborhood was Mickey Mantle and the Yankees, so I rooted for Willie Mays and the NY Giants.  Both of my teams moved, but since I didn't live in the cities they left from, I wasn't as upset as I would have been if I did.  I'm not sure I would have stayed loyal to either if they abandoned my home town, but that wasn't a problem for me.  At any rate, that makes me a Colts fan for 65 years and counting.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Albany Ed said:

Possibly the first game I can recall watching on TV was the 1958 Championship game between the Baltimore Colts and the NY Giants.  I live in upstate NY, so my family and most of my friends were all Giants fans.  The Giants had many famous players that I knew Conerly, Gifford, Rote and a super defense with Huff, Rosie Grier, Robustelli to name a few.  However, for me, all I remember was Unitas.  I became a Colts fan then and there.  I was always controversial in my fandom.  I wanted to be different than my brothers and my friends.  In baseball, my whole neighborhood was Mickey Mantle and the Yankees, so I rooted for Willie Mays and the NY Giants.  Both of my teams moved, but since I didn't live in the cities they left from, I wasn't as upset as I would have been if I did.  I'm not sure I would have stayed loyal to either if they abandoned my home town, but that wasn't a problem for me.  At any rate, that makes me a Colts fan for 65 years and counting.  

Me too.  Since 1958 as a kid.  Watched the game on tv with my dad who was a Giants fan.  Also 65 years and counting.  I live near Rochester, NY.  Welcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Living in Scotland, we never got much NFL on the TV in the mid 80’s, apart from a one hour highlight show, aired a week after the games. The only live game was the SB, my first being the Bears in 1985/86. That was some team, and J became a kind of passive Chicago fan for a while. Mad McMahon, Dent, Singleterry, and of course, Walter Payton. He was majestic. Then I drifted away from the game until 2004, and my father called me. He had placed a bet on a team to win the Super Bowl, and they had a great QB. Guess who!!

By then, we were getting live games now in the UK, and I just started following the Colts, and my passion just grew and grew. The night we beat the Patriots in the AFCCG has been one of my best sporting memories ever. But the day that the coward Polian pulled the starters and quit on a perfect season almost made me chuck the Colts. It was disgraceful.

Seen the Colts live twice. In the LOS vs the Seahawks in 2013 and the disastrous loss to the Jags at Wembley a few years ago. I did meet and have a quick chat with Dallas Clark before the game though, what a lovely man. My long weekend in Indy in 2013 was magical, and the townsfolk were fantastic. Nice pubs too!!!

Been a member of this forum since about 2005, and loads of familiar faces still around since those days, which is great. And that includes a few Pats fans!!!!

Well, you did ask. Hope everyone is well.

• Like 4

Not really new here, been on here off and on for awhile. Don't know too many people here.

I've lived in Indiana my whole life. Mostly around the Terre Haute area. Grew up as a Colts fan in the Manning era. Rarely ever miss a game. Always watch until the end no matter the score. I'm 30 years old and will love the Colts until I die. Looking forward to getting to know the other great Colts fans on here.

• Like 2

Born in New Jersey (current residence) also lived in Pennsylvania and Detroit, Mi. Dad and and Uncle were born in Maryland of course they were Baltimore Colts fans. I grew up a Colts fan, I was living in Michigan when they move to Indy. I was a Colts fan didn't care what city they were in  as I had no personal connection to Baltimore. Seen MANY games at Giants Stadium when we were in the AFC East mostly vs Jets and a handful of Giants games (including this past season) I was at the the 41-0 thrashing vs Jets in playoffs. ONLY game I have ever early left and that was at HALFTIME! Been to 2 Ravens-Colts games in Baltimore (Uncle mentioned earlier worked for a company with season tickets, 2 rows behind visitor bench!) Only game in Indy was the playoff loss in RCA dome to Titans. Someday I'll make it to LOS!

• Like 2

I became a fan in the late 1990's. My parents took me to my first game in 1999 and surprised me with a Peyton Manning jersey. I have been hooked ever since. Some of my favorite memories were going to games in the RCA dome. Nothing was more fun than being seemingly sucked out of the stadium by the change in air pressure. 

One of my favorite games I went to was the home opener the year after the super bowl XLI win against the Saints. I've never seen a player look faster in real life than Reggie Bush did that day. Although I love Lucas Oil Stadium, the RCA Dome will forever hold a special place in my heart. 

My favorite memory in LOS has to be Mannings return on Sunday night football. It was so incredibly loud during that game. I still get chills thinking about it. My wife and I are lucky enough to be season ticket holders now for the Colts. I go to every game, and she goes to a handful of them. We have two boys under 2 right now and I'm very much looking forward to passing down my love of the Indianapolis Colts to them. 

• Like 6

On 4/28/2023 at 5:25 AM, braveheartcolt said:

Living in Scotland, we never got much NFL on the TV in the mid 80’s, apart from a one hour highlight show, aired a week after the games. The only live game was the SB, my first being the Bears in 1985/86. That was some team, and J became a kind of passive Chicago fan for a while. Mad McMahon, Dent, Singleterry, and of course, Walter Payton. He was majestic. Then I drifted away from the game until 2004, and my father called me. He had placed a bet on a team to win the Super Bowl, and they had a great QB. Guess who!!

By then, we were getting live games now in the UK, and I just started following the Colts, and my passion just grew and grew. The night we beat the Patriots in the AFCCG has been one of my best sporting memories ever. But the day that the coward Polian pulled the starters and quit on a perfect season almost made me chuck the Colts. It was disgraceful.

Seen the Colts live twice. In the LOS vs the Seahawks in 2013 and the disastrous loss to the Jags at Wembley a few years ago. I did meet and have a quick chat with Dallas Clark before the game though, what a lovely man. My long weekend in Indy in 2013 was magical, and the townsfolk were fantastic. Nice pubs too!!!

Been a member of this forum since about 2005, and loads of familiar faces still around since those days, which is great. And that includes a few Pats fans!!!!

Well, you did ask. Hope everyone is well.

Other than PGA events on foreign soil, and the Olympics, I don't follow sports not played in the USA. I think it's cool that you are a Colts fan, and am glad you are on this board.

Wow I’ve been a colts fan since the Hoosier Dome days. I grew up in Greenfield and my parents would take me when I was a kid. Yes I suffered thru the early years, but I always remember the passion of Colts fans. I think we’re such an underrated fan base. Finally this year, we just purchased our 1st set of season tickets. I’ve always found an excuse to not make the drive, too busy, with kids, etc. Finally, my family is back, I’m excited for ‘23!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I’ve been a fan since 1969. I was 9 years old and my Dad was a Jets fan since we lived in NY. Well, I bet him that the Colts would win since I always took the opposite team. Well, Namath beat us but I have been a fan ever since. Thick n thin.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Big Colts fan from Alberta, Canada here. I have a question and was hoping to get some responses from fans who have travelled to Jacksonville!

My wife and I, along with a couple of friends (Jacksonville fans), are travelling down to Jacksonville in October for the week 6 game against the Jaguars. I was just looking for some insight into whether or not it is safe for Colts fans in Jacksonville and if there are any areas of the stadium to avoid or anything else to be aware of. Looking forward to seeing my first Colts game live!!!

• Like 3

On 11/26/2022 at 4:40 AM, Happy2BeHere said:

I’d love to know more about all of you fellow Colts fans. Here is a good little poll to kind of get to know the fans better.

Also tell me a little something about how you became a fan. 

For me I started getting into football in my late 20’s. I was dating a girl whose father was really a big college football fan. The game that really sucked me into football was the 2007 Tostitos fiesta bowl between the Sooners and the Boise State Broncos. The most thrilling game I think I have ever seen still to this day (for college). I decided I wanted to get into watching the NFL so I started watching games every Sunday. I bounced around from channel to channel. I figured I needed to be a fan of a team that had a good quarterback and a stand up coach. I finally decided one day that the Colts were that team. I loved Dungy and his mantra and all of his persona. Of course then there was Manning…it was like watching a conductor orchestrate the symphony on the field (I hate going to the symphony though). I fell in love with the Colts…loved the RCA dome, the logo, the colors, and from then on I’ve been a diehard Colts fan ever since!

1958 was watching the Championship Game Colts vs. Giants Johnny Unitas at 4 Years old The rest is history it's why I'm Coltsince4...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 7:55 PM, mike.michielin said:

Big Colts fan from Alberta, Canada here. I have a question and was hoping to get some responses from fans who have travelled to Jacksonville!

My wife and I, along with a couple of friends (Jacksonville fans), are travelling down to Jacksonville in October for the week 6 game against the Jaguars. I was just looking for some insight into whether or not it is safe for Colts fans in Jacksonville and if there are any areas of the stadium to avoid or anything else to be aware of. Looking forward to seeing my first Colts game live!!!

Mike…..     sorry, I’ve never been to Jacksonville,  so I can’t help you that way.   But I may be able to help in another way.  

I don’t think your post here is going to attract many responses.   Because this thread discussion dates back to last November.   So most everyone who is going to respond already has.   

So here’s, what I recommend….    Start your own thread….  Label it something like this:   OT: New Member Seeks Advice

FYI: the OT stands for Off Topic. 

Then cut and paste what you wrote here into the body of your post and hit “submit reply”.      This way you will get many more eye balls to see your request.   Give it a few days, but you should get some answers.  

I’ll keep an eye out for it.   Hit me up with a private message or a post if you’re confused or have questions.   I’m not a moderator, but perhaps I can guide you in the right direction.   

Good luck…. 

• Like 2

I've been a Colts fan since the early Manning days.  My dad was a Unitas fan,  and he liked the Colts.  What really drew me to the Colts was when Manning was facing off with Steve McNair.  Not sure which game, but we were losing,  and Manning led an awesome drive to come back.  While he did score,  we ultimately lost.   But I knew in that moment,  he was a very special QB.  My favorite game was versus Tampa Bay, where we were down 2 or 3 scores with about 4 minutes left,  and we won on Monday night football.  Harrison was also magical to watch. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I've been a Colts fan since the early Manning days.  My dad was a Unitas fan,  and he liked the Colts.  What really drew me to the Colts was when Manning was facing off with Steve McNair.  Not sure which game, but we were losing,  and Manning led an awesome drive to come back.  While he did score,  we ultimately lost.   But I knew in that moment,  he was a very special QB.  My favorite game was versus Tampa Bay, where we were down 2 or 3 scores with about 4 minutes left,  and we won on Monday night football.  Harrison was also magical to watch. 

I remember those days well. You never felt the Colts were going to lose, until there was no time left on the clock.

If I remember correctly, that Tampa game you referenced, was played on Tony Dungey's birthday, and was his first time back in Tampa after his firing.

I do remember a lot of fans of both teams shut the game off and woke up to a surprise outcome. As soon as the game ended, around midnight or later my best friend called me asking " Did you just see that $****! "  Good times.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My dad was a big John Unitas fan. And I started watching him play in the very late 50's with my dad. Also, there was something about that horseshoe on that helmet that sealed the deal that I fell in love with. There was an interesting article I read years later about how Johnny U was originally drafted by the steelers, then cut by them. When a reporter at the time asked the head coach of the steelers why he was cut, his reply was that he didn't think that Johnny Unitas was smart enough to play Quarterback in the NFL. That led later, him ending up with the Colts. The rest is history. John's historic 58 and 59 championship victories, jump started national interest we have come to enjoy many decades later. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Born & live in Scotland. As many have said before me, in the UK when i was growing up there wasn't much hype around the NFL and it wasn't until my late teens i watched a few games and got right into it. I even ended up playing amateur football in the UK for a few years as a Nose Tackle.

Might be funny to a few but to be honest the reason i chose a liking to the colts was playing Madden around 2004/05 with friends and when asked what team i'd like to be I for reasons unknown to me chose the colts, when i eventually did end up interested in the NFL my gut stayed with me and i ended up following the colts.

Every year my level of "fandem" grows

Travelled to London in 2016 to see the Colts which was amazing and hopefully in 2024 or 2025 I'll travel to Indianapolis to see a game

• Like 2