Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tell me about you as a Colts fan!

Happy2BeHere

Tell me about you as a fan!  

135 members have voted

1. 1. About what year did you become a Colts fan?

2. 2. Are you a diehard fan of any other NFL team besides the Colts?

3. 3. Have you attended a Colts game live?

4. 4. Where did you see the Colts live ?

5. 5. We’re you born in Indiana?

6. 6. Where do you currently live?

• Indiana
    • Somewhere in the U.S.A. (Other than Indiana)
    • Canada
    • Somewhere other than the U.S.A. / Canada

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Hey there, @HOZER what is your Colts story? I know you are a diehard fan. This is you :rock:when Colts are winning. :)

And this is me at their current state….

:wall::tvsmash::censored::Cry:

My story….

Before becoming a Colts fan in the early 90’s, I spent the first half of my life in Texas. I was a Cowboys fan only because you had to be if you lived in Texas, that or an Oilers fan(yeah I’m that old, lol.) Cowboys were also very good at that time. When I moved to Indiana, it was my firm belief that if you’re lucky enough to have an NFL football team in your state then you should be a fan of that team first and foremost, so that’s when my Colts fandom began. I also shared a very similar last name with a former player from that era, RIP, and was always asked if we were related(not spelled the same), I’ll give a like to first person who can figure out the player. 

My late father in law was a HUGE Colts fan and got me hooked, it was so fun watching games with him.  Living in the Lafayette area I became a fan of Purdue sports as well, especially during the Drew Brees era. After he was drafted by the Chargers I remember going to a family get together and watching Chargers vs Colts and feeling very conflicted, but I couldn’t root against Manning and the Colts, so Brees came second. That was an amazing game, and I remember it took my fandom to a whole other level.

I have been to a few games a year ever since I can remember, and DO NOT miss a game in tv, if I’m unavailable it’s recorded and watched asap. I have even traveled to enemy territory several times to support my team, even drive through a blizzard one year to experience what would turn out to be Andrew Lucks last game as a Colt. :Cry:I am absolutely a die hard fan, through thick and thin, even during the tough times, when I haven’t been as involved in here or am very critical of the current coach/qb, my blood continues to run blue and I will keep rooting for our beloved Colts. Better days are ahead, just have to persevere. :rock:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I was born in Indianapolis in 1986 at St Francis hospital, which wasn't too far from the RCA Dome. My family were never really athletes, but they were big Colts and Pacers fans. In 1995, my family really began to get into the Colts spirit when they made it into the playoffs, and I remember the games were always on every TV in the house. The attached garage was turned into more a fan cave/hangout for the adults when other family and friends came over to watch the game. That year was my first year really watching football, and seeing what *should* have been PI on Pittsburgh in the end zone is when I really became a fan.

In 1996, I moved to Southern Kentucky which, obviously, doesn't have any pro sports teams. So anyone there that did like the NFL were Cowboys or Steelers fans, while NBA fans liked the Bulls and Rockets. The others were only college basketball fans, so that meant Kentucky Wildcats. I was typically the outcast with sports because I didn't like the Cowboys or Steelers, and I'd wear a few Colts things here and there, which usually turned into adults even giving me dirty or odd looks. Imagine giving a 10-year-old kid dirty looks over his sports team choices. Southern hospitality, right? This just made me buckle down on my fandom even more.

In 1998 when Indy was drafting first, a lot of people were telling me how Peyton was a bad QB because he played for Tennessee, which made zero sense. Mostly think it was the stigma of college basketball fans not liking the school, so that automatically meant any QB or player coming from there was bad. That first season when Peyton was terrible, everyone doubled down on their "hurrrrrr told you so" attitude about Peyton.

It was hard to buy Colts things in Kentucky because, again, only Cowboys and Steelers stuff was really available. I only managed to get Colts items when I visited family and friends in Indy, or at my birthday/Christmas.

After that, from 99 and on, I continued dealing with nonsense from everyone about my choice as a Colts fan.

When the Titans arrived in Tennessee, it REALLY got bad with all of a sudden fans who refused to accept the Titans were the Oilers, and just changed their name. My FIRST NFL game was in 2003 in Indy playing the Titans. All of my friends and everyone at school kept saying how badly Tennessee was going to beat them. How my family wasted money on tickets, etc. Well, Indy obliterated Tennessee 33-7. That Monday morning at school, NO ONE said a word to me, and I made sure I wore my Manning jersey that day.

Since then, I've been to several games at the RCA Dome and Lucas Oil, including the Rams game when Peyton and Marvin broke the record. I *think* that was the game where Peyton and Jeff got into it on the sidelines? Incredibly fun game, and it was absolutely deafening that day.

I'm sad that I only managed to see Luck play one game as a Colt in person, and that was down in Nashville when Pat ran the fake punt.

Now I live in PA, so sometimes I'll go out to watch the games at a sports bar that's normally filled with obnoxious Ravens fans that remind me how they can't get over 1984.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

. I also shared a very similar last name with a former player from that era, RIP, and was always asked if we were related(not spelled the same), I’ll give a like to first person who can figure out the player. 

:thinking: I have no idea. That should be a thread of its own. Lol. You said the 90s but I don't know Colts from that era. I will venture a guess which is surely wrong, as he came later. 

Vanderjagt :P

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

:thinking: I have no idea. That should be a thread of its own. Lol. You said the 90s but I don't know Colts from that era. I will venture a guess which is surely wrong, as he came later. 

Vandershank I mean Vanderjagt is a pretty uncommon last name, lol. About as common as mine.

I was born in '88. As many of you know, my dad is a huge Bengals fan, while the rest of my family is all about the Colts. In his own words, he started taking me to Colts games before I was even 1 in the hopes that I would "be a Colts fan and not share in the misery of supporting the Orange and Black". So nearly quite literally, I've attended games my entire life. 

I've witnessed some really good football and some really heartbreaking moments. My earliest memory of the RCA Dome was the '93 season. We played the Patriots and beat them I think like 9-6. Low scoring game but something about that day and that rivalry has carried me for years. We were high up in the stands, and I was captivated with the formations and strategies. I still have my Jim Harbaugh jersey from the mid 90s (can't fit it in though!). Loved Captain Comeback, and I'm happy for him with his success at Michigan. Played running back in high school, but I was never an all world athlete. Didn't matter, it was fun minus the concussions. Of course, what a time it was to be growing up, witnessing Peyton Manning. He changed so many of us 90s kids. Forever thankful for what he brought to Indiana. 

And on a more sour note: I can't forget the Steelers... My hatred for the Steelers will go on as long the sun continues to rise. I was there for the '95 championship game, the '05 playoff game for both the Bengals (RIP Carson Palmer's knee) and the Colts (Bye Vanderjagt), and the 2016 Bengals-Steelers playoff meltdown. Needless to say, I do not like the Steelers or Steelers fans one bit. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I was born in Indianapolis in 1986 at St Francis hospital, which wasn't too far from the RCA Dome. My family were never really athletes, but they were big Colts and Pacers fans. In 1995, my family really began to get into the Colts spirit when they made it into the playoffs, and I remember the games were always on every TV in the house. The attached garage was turned into more a fan cave/hangout for the adults when other family and friends came over to watch the game. That year was my first year really watching football, and seeing what *should* have been PI on Pittsburgh in the end zone is when I really became a fan.

In 1996, I moved to Southern Kentucky which, obviously, doesn't have any pro sports teams. So anyone there that did like the NFL were Cowboys or Steelers fans, while NBA fans liked the Bulls and Rockets. The others were only college basketball fans, so that meant Kentucky Wildcats. I was typically the outcast with sports because I didn't like the Cowboys or Steelers, and I'd wear a few Colts things here and there, which usually turned into adults even giving me dirty or odd looks. Imagine giving a 10-year-old kid dirty looks over his sports team choices. Southern hospitality, right? This just made me buckle down on my fandom even more.

In 1998 when Indy was drafting first, a lot of people were telling me how Peyton was a bad QB because he played for Tennessee, which made zero sense. Mostly think it was the stigma of college basketball fans not liking the school, so that automatically meant any QB or player coming from there was bad. That first season when Peyton was terrible, everyone doubled down on their "hurrrrrr told you so" attitude about Peyton.

It was hard to buy Colts things in Kentucky because, again, only Cowboys and Steelers stuff was really available. I only managed to get Colts items when I visited family and friends in Indy, or at my birthday/Christmas.

After that, from 99 and on, I continued dealing with nonsense from everyone about my choice as a Colts fan.

When the Titans arrived in Tennessee, it REALLY got bad with all of a sudden fans who refused to accept the Titans were the Oilers, and just changed their name. My FIRST NFL game was in 2003 in Indy playing the Titans. All of my friends and everyone at school kept saying how badly Tennessee was going to beat them. How my family wasted money on tickets, etc. Well, Indy obliterated Tennessee 33-7. That Monday morning at school, NO ONE said a word to me, and I made sure I wore my Manning jersey that day.

Since then, I've been to several games at the RCA Dome and Lucas Oil, including the Rams game when Peyton and Marvin broke the record. I *think* that was the game where Peyton and Jeff got into it on the sidelines? Incredibly fun game, and it was absolutely deafening that day.

I'm sad that I only managed to see Luck play one game as a Colt in person, and that was down in Nashville when Pat ran the fake punt.

Now I live in PA, so sometimes I'll go out to watch the games at a sports bar that's normally filled with obnoxious Ravens fans that remind me how they can't get over 1984.

That garage sounds AMAZING :rock:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Our “not so smart” kicker as Manning so affectionately dubbed him, lol! Nice guess, but he’s still alive, I think?

12 hours ago, HOZER said:

My story….

Before becoming a Colts fan in the early 90’s, I spent the first half of my life in Texas. I was a Cowboys fan only because you had to be if you lived in Texas, that or an Oilers fan(yeah I’m that old, lol.) Cowboys were also very good at that time. When I moved to Indiana, it was my firm belief that if you’re lucky enough to have an NFL football team in your state then you should be a fan of that team first and foremost, so that’s when my Colts fandom began. I also shared a very similar last name with a former player from that era, RIP, and was always asked if we were related(not spelled the same), I’ll give a like to first person who can figure out the player. 

My late father in law was a HUGE Colts fan and got me hooked, it was so fun watching games with him.  Living in the Lafayette area I became a fan of Purdue sports as well, especially during the Drew Brees era. After he was drafted by the Chargers I remember going to a family get together and watching Chargers vs Colts and feeling very conflicted, but I couldn’t root against Manning and the Colts, so Brees came second. That was an amazing game, and I remember it took my fandom to a whole other level.

I have been to a few games a year ever since I can remember, and DO NOT miss a game in tv, if I’m unavailable it’s recorded and watched asap. I have even traveled to enemy territory several times to support my team, even drive through a blizzard one year to experience what would turn out to be Andrew Lucks last game as a Colt. :Cry:I am absolutely a die hard fan, through thick and thin, even during the tough times, when I haven’t been as involved in here or am very critical of the current coach/qb, my blood continues to run blue and I will keep rooting for our beloved Colts. Better days are ahead, just have to persevere. :rock:

Tony Siragusa?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:43 AM, HOZER said:

My story….

The 90's Cowboys were IMO the true best ever teams = 92, 93, and in 95 when they got Deion it was not fair. It should have been us vs them in 95 but we got screwed by the Refs in 95. Our 2006 team could hang with them. I think the perfect Final 4 would be:

NFC = 1989 49ers vs 1992 Cowboys

AFC = 2014 Patriots vs 2006 Colts

The build up to both those games would be unreal! Have that Pats team come here to the dome Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 90's Cowboys were IMO the true best ever teams = 92, 93, and in 95 when they got Deion it was not fair. It should have been us vs them in 95 but we got screwed by the Refs in 95. Our 2006 team could hang with them. I think the perfect Final 4 would be:

NFC = 1989 49ers vs 1992 Cowboys

AFC = 2014 Patriots vs 2006 Colts

The build up to both those games would be unreal! Have that Pats team come here to the dome Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

Greatest Final 4 ever:

1989 49ers at 1992 Cowboys (Pick'em is the spread by computers calculations) Pat Summerall and John Madden on the call. 49ers have Joe Montana and Jerry Rice + Ronnie Lott. Cowboys have a big bad O.Line + Troy, Emmitt, and Michael. Both teams have Charles Haley lolgood times vh1 GIF

2014 Patriots at 2006 Colts (Pats are favored by 2.5 points by computers calculations) Jim Nantz and Phil Simms on the call. Pats have Tom, Gronk, Revis, and BB, Colts have Peyton, Marv, Reggie, Dwight, and Bob and are 10-0 in the Dome in 2006. 

Been a fanatic since 1967/68 when I was 10. Tom Matte, Johny U, Earl Morrall, John Mackey, Mike Curtis, Bubba Smith Ted Hendricks, Norm Bulaich, Don Nottingham,  Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell....it's an endless list. I live in NYS ...I've been to Colts games in Buffalo, Washington, The Meadowlands ( first Manning Bowl) and of course a dozen or so games in Indy (including both AFC Championship games ) Hope to see at least one more AFCCG in the near future 

I saw Johnny U play in a preseason game at old War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo ( OJ Simpsons first game)

• Like 3

I was born in Tennessee, but moved to Indianapolis when I was three years old. Playing Philly football every year I was always the Cowboys and until the Colts arrived. I was a Cowboys fan but in the winter of 1983 everything changed instantly I became a Colts fan. Only supporting the local teams, my whole life it was an obvious connection between me and the team. I’ve suffered many horrible seasons, and some wonderful years with the team. I was at the RCA Dome when they brought the team in after the Super Bowl victory. I was so happy to have my favorite team becoming a champion. Those glory days are gone right now and it may be a long time before they ever come back. I complain and I get angry but my blood type is definitely C positive. 

• Like 2

I was born in 83, started to go to games somewhere around 88-89. Got into football thanks to my dad. He was a Baltimore Colts fan, and once they moved here, thanks to Bob Collins(Old Indystar sports writer) he was the first person to receive season tickets! Unfortunately, we may have to give them up after this season though due to various reasons! $$$, inflation, family, old age/health, and my career are getting in the way of Sunday games! Not just the Colts sucking!

Only been to a couple road games. Cinci game(Walt Anderson tripping call game) and a Browns game a long time ago! Coulda gone to SB41, but didnt get enough tickets! 

• Like 2

Hello fellow Colt fans. I'm new thought I would start here. I been a Colt fan every since they moved here in 84'. I was tickled to death getting a NFL team in this state. I was a Washington Redskin fan beforehand favorite players were John Riggins and Art Monk, Dexter Manley, Darrell Green of course Joe Theismann. I switched over to the Colts fast and never looked back. Been too so many Colts games I lost count. I was born and raised in Indiana and still live here. Thinking of a move but still on the fence about.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question #4 should include Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

I became a Colts fan for life in 1965 when I was 11 years old. My oldest brother (who I idolized)

played semi pro football for a team in New Hampshire called the Nashua Colts. Complete with the blue & white

uniforms and horseshoe on the helmets. I attended their end of the season banquet that year with my family.

The guest speaker was none other than Johnny Unitas himself.

You can only imagine how awestruck an 11 year old kid was that night. 

My brother passed away almost 15 years ago now but they still have his Colts helmet displayed in the

basement of their home. I always go down there and touch it (and secretly wish I could take it home)

whenever I'm in NH visiting my family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:14 PM, Scott Pennock said:

I became a Colts fan on October 31st, 1987. IYKYK

I am retired military - 24 years.

That is all.

So was that the date of the Monday night game that Dickerson went off for a bazillion yards?

3 hours ago, Dunk said:

So was that the date of the Monday night game that Dickerson went off for a bazillion yards?

I was in Denver on that Halloween night. Not at the game but camped out at the truck stop in Denver. It was a fantastic game for Dickerson and the whole team.  

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was in Denver on that Halloween night. Not at the game but camped out at the truck stop in Denver. It was a fantastic game for Dickerson and the whole team.  

I thought it was the first Monday night in the Hoosier Dome, but I could be wrong. There was one where the fans were given

Michaels, Dierdorf, and Gifford masks to wear. Too long ago, I oughta look it up I guess.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Might not be the place for this but can use a little help

For Christmas My son gave me a Game ball from colts titans nov 12 2020 

Colts won 34 to 17 at Nissan stadium 

the white panel of the ball has all of that info and was presented to Jim Clark

We can’t figure out who is Jim Clark ?

thanks 

Wish I could help you, but his name with Indianapolis Colts in a bing search resulted in nothing that would make sense.

Whoever he was, the ball must've not meant much to him if your son got it two years later. 

Great memento to have though. Cool!

11 hours ago, Dunk said:

Wish I could help you, but his name with Indianapolis Colts in a bing search resulted in nothing that would make sense.

Whoever he was, the ball must've not meant much to him if your son got it two years later. 

Great memento to have though. Cool!

Much appreciated 

we try for the slightly off items 

I got an Andrew luck roll up 7’ tall poster with a metal base similar to a projector screen from 2016 international game at an auction site last month 

thanks again 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, Dunk said:

I thought it was the first Monday night in the Hoosier Dome, but I could be wrong. There was one where the fans were given

Michaels, Dierdorf, and Gifford masks to wear. Too long ago, I oughta look it up I guess.

You are correct about it being in Indy.   I once had that game on VHS. Chris Chandler was the QB, and Dickerson got oodles of yards on his every touch.

• Thanks 1

When you are 9 years old you pick a team that is good at the time to pull for. In 1970, it was the Cowboys and Colts. Two of my buddies already picked the Cowboys, so they told me I had to pick someone else so naturally I chose the Colts. 

My wife loves to tell this story to prove my loyalty. I was paralyzed in an accident Oct 18th 1980 and was in a coma for four days after. According to my parents, the first thing I asked when I woke up was "Did the Colts win?" Unfortunately they lost to those damn evil Patriots. I was so mad I put myself into another coma for the rest of the season.

I kid I kid. I don't remember my reaction when they told me. 

I have always lived in SC so it's a bunch of Falcon and Panther fans around me. Every time the Colts play one or both of them down here I make sure to get tickets. 

Oh my. I just looked at their future schedules and saw they are coming back down here next year. Very cool. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

When you are 9 years old you pick a team that is good at the time to pull for. In 1970, it was the Cowboys and Colts. Two of my buddies already picked the Cowboys, so they told me I had to pick someone else so naturally I chose the Colts. 

My wife loves to tell this story to prove my loyalty. I was paralyzed in an accident Oct 18th 1980 and was in a coma for four days after. According to my parents, the first thing I asked when I woke up was "Did the Colts win?" Unfortunately they lost to those damn evil Patriots. I was so mad I put myself into another coma for the rest of the season.

I kid I kid. I don't remember my reaction when they told me. 

I have always lived in SC so it's a bunch of Falcon and Panther fans around me. Every time the Colts play one or both of them down here I make sure to get tickets. 

Oh my. I just looked at their future schedules and saw they are coming back down here next year. Very cool. 

Great that you go to road games to support the Colts. I'm guessing that the Atlanta, and Carolina fans are pretty cool to visiting 

teams fans?

5 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Oh yeah. I've never had a problem at either stadium. 

I went to a few road games over the years and New England was the only one I went to where I had a problem. It was unbelievable what happened. 

The most enjoyable road game I went to was Pittsburgh. Me and my brother didn't pay for one beer the whole day. The group of Steeler fans we sat by were the best.  

• Like 3

Been a Colts fan since the 90’s when I used to play TV Sports football on my Amiga 500 as the Colts because Peyton Manning had the highest stats in the game. 

Try to watch as many games as I can but the time difference and number of games broadcast in Sydney is a bit of a killer. 

Been lurking on this forum for a while now and finally decided to join. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Down under wonder said:

Been a Colts fan since the 90’s when I used to play TV Sports football on my Amiga 500 as the Colts because Peyton Manning had the highest stats in the game. 

Try to watch as many games as I can but the time difference and number of games broadcast in Sydney is a bit of a killer. 

Been lurking on this forum for a while now and finally decided to join. 

Glad you decided to join

Welcome!

• Like 1

Became a Colts fan at 14 in 1964 watching Unitas, Moore, Berry and Orr, and company beat the Bears 52-0 and  beat their nemesis, the Packers in 2 close games. They compiled a 12-2 record winning their division after a 5 yr drought. Shed a few tears when Browns shut them out for the title. Was upset at their playoff loss to the Packers in 65 on that infamous field goal. Was unfathomable in 67 how they were shut out of the playoffs with only 1 loss. She’d couple of more tears. Then the great season in 68 and without Unitas. She’d more tears after that final game of the year. Then winning what some called a terrible game in Super Bowl V which I call a great defensive game. No tears this time!!!  Then enjoyed watching Bert , Lydell and all the those guys  play. Admit I was very upset for long time after theyslinked out of Baltimore under the the cover of darkness, but eventually came around. Have never and don’t anticipate being able to ever come attend and watch in person, but do watch every game from afar in North Carolina. Enjoyed the Peyton yrs and the healthy Luck yrs. Sad but can’t fault his decision to retire as I know what chronic pain from serious injury is like. Still love the classic, classy uniforms and hope they never change. Even the home state Panthers, 45 miles away are second fiddle to the Colts in my life.

GO COLTS!!! But make it quick, please. Don’t know how much longer I can hang around at this age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My addiction started when Johnny U took over the QB job. It was love at first sight. Living in Chicago then they were in the same group as the Bears. My most memorable moment has to be lying on the living room floor watching the Colts NYG game when Ameche drove through fof the winning TD. My dad was not a sports fan and was convinced I was having fits screaming and rolling all over the floor. There was a great question of who was the better QB Unitas of Starr back then. I am pushing 75 very soon and I am still a fan but I can't roll around on the floor like I used to! ;)

• Like 1