Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Saturday or the defense to allow the Eagles score?

indyagent17

Just now, IndyEric07 said:

They shouldnt have had that much time left to drive down the field to score anyways, if the blind zebras woulda called that facemask on Ryan! If it were Brady, that woulda been called!

The facemask had nothing to do with the final decision with the Eagles driving and the post that I made

We allowed the face mask to matter. We allowed the missed FG to matter. We allowed the JT fumble to matter.

If we took care of more of our business by punching in a FG to be a TD, we are talking about possibly winning this game. Only the Colts have to blame for their own lack of execution.

I don’t think so.  They did a good job on the TV broadcast explaining why that play worked so well.  All game Hurts had ran behind their center and he pulled to their right and you can see I believe Franklin go with him and Hurts followed the back instead.  That was a great play call and design by the Eagles.

Don't get me wrong on the 4th and 2 at the 2 min warning I was thinking of we can't stop them it's better to concede at TD than a first down but seeing as it was 3rd down and we'd backed Hurts up 3 yards on the previous play I can't see it being an intentional thing at that point, Saturday would have backed the defence stop I think.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We allowed the face mask to matter. We allowed the missed FG to matter. We allowed the JT fumble to matter.

If we took care of more of our business by punching in a FG to be a TD, we are talking about possibly winning this game. Only the Colts have to blame for their own lack of execution.

Yeah that was my point in another thread.  The Colts shouldn’t have been in a position for the missed facemask to matter.  That’s been the story all year, the Colts don’t take advantage of opportunities when they have them.  The eagles were begging the Colts to blow them out in the third quarter and the Colts came away with three point.  Even then the Eagles fumbled the ball and the Colts got it to first and goal at the five and proceeded to waste first and second down when a TD would have won it.  The Colts need to focus on their issues that they can control.  They have enough of them.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think so.  They did a good job on the TV broadcast explaining why that play worked so well.  All game Hurts had ran behind their center and he pulled to their right and you can see I believe Franklin go with him and Hurts followed the back instead.  That was a great play call and design by the Eagles.

I hate to second guess Bradley, he has the D playing so well.

BUT…what would have happened if he put a spy on Hurts on just about every third down?  A fast safety or even a CB like Flowers.  Someone to make sure he can’t get yards with his feet.  

And, yes, I know that opens up the field and takes them out of the cover two.   Just a thought.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I hate to second guess Bradley, he has the D playing so well.

BUT…what would have happened if he put a spy on Hurts on just about every third down?  A fast safety or even a CB like Flowers.  Someone to make sure he can’t get yards with his feet.  

And, yes, I know that opens up the field and takes them out of the cover two.   Just a thought.

Then Hurts throws the ball down the field rather than run it.  He’s a good player and that’s what makes hard players hard to defend they can beat you multiple ways.  

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Colts… and you for your horrible stat posts!

The “Buzz Killington” of stats, that’s what you are sir! 

blame you GIF by WWE

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then Hurts throws the ball down the field rather than run it.  He’s a good player and that’s what makes hard players hard to defend they can beat you multiple ways.  

I get that, but I’d rather take the chance that our DBs can cover than give up the sure thing with him running.  

As I said, Gus knows the team’s strengths and weaknesses.  He’s doing a pretty good job managing them.

The two young guys on the Oline hurts us more than anything.  Basically killed two drives.  Hopefully the reps will round them into shape.  

Yeah the running lane opened up because of great run blocking. Give some credit when it's earned. The Colts were expecting a pass play and were caught.  

I'm disappointed in the couple of plays that cost us the game. 

I'm not blaming the refs but they didn't grade very well.  

The Colts are in a position that they need an elite QB to score us more points every game and help carry this team because Ballards “it’s not all about one player” attitude has failed him and we are missing about 4 offensive players that can get us into the end zone consistently. OT, OG, TE, QB. 

12 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

They shouldnt have had that much time left to drive down the field to score anyways, if the blind zebras woulda called that facemask on Ryan! If it were Brady, that woulda been called!

That facemask would have been a bad call... Ryan was basically already down and there was hardly anything in it.

14 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

There’s no other explanation for it it’s like the Red Sea had parted and Hurts just walked in untouched. If that was the actual play call it was *ic because there is no way this offense was going to drive 40 yards and give our inconsistent kicker a shot

They were not far off from doing just that.  Ryan just isn't quick enough to find an open WR.  

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

That facemask would have been a bad call... Ryan was basically already down and there was hardly anything in it.

It does not matter. A facemask is a facemask and Ryan's head clearly got yanked. It should have been a penalty and does not matter if Ryan was already down. Also, Reddick knew that he did it and was cringing, expecting it to be called ... but it wasn't.  :flaming:

14 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

the QB run for a TD was really bad...

I mean how do you not put a spy on Hurts after all of that running? I just really don't understand it. 

Well it’s not like Okereke wanted to tackle Hurts. Think it was a 4th and long they converted and he took such a terrible angle and whiffed on Hurts earlier. Feel like we missed tackles all day.

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Could not have said it better.

This might be an ignorant question for you all. I am not much of a X and O's guy. But given the fact that Hurts is known to be a runner, could have the Colts came up with a defensive scheme to have someone mirror him a little more to stop or slow him down, especially  on that last series and play? Like I said, not an X and O guy but I saw that one coming before it happened. The whole last series it was like an option, he was gonna hand off or keep it half of the time.  The whole middle of the field parted and my grandma and or Dan Marino could have ran through there.  YOU HAD TO HAVE KNOWN IT WAS COMING AS A PLAYER AND OR COACH. Not blaming the loss on that one play, but they had last efforts to salvage that game into a win.  Made me want to puke watching him run that in that easy. What a gift.

Granted I thought the D played great the whole time,  its tough playing against that team, they are legit good. Not slagging them at all. Not getting any help from the inept offense . 

54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Still Butt hurt about Frank? Get over it.

Huh?  What does this have to do with Frank?

He deserved to be fired.  But the playcalling, scheme, accountability et Al...all of the reasons that everybody was complaining about are obviously not the causes.  He was not a good enough HC to get this roster to win consistently.  That's the reason he deserved it.  We may go through several HCs before we find one good enough to get this roster to win.

But to the topic. if it was 4th an 2 near the goal line and the HC wanted the defense to allow the opponent to score, wouldn't that be a really dumb decision?  If it was 4th and 2.  Just stop them one play and you win.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Huh?  What does this have to do with Frank?

He deserved to be fired.  But the playcalling, scheme, accountability et Al...all of the reasons that everybody was complaining about are obviously not the causes.  He was not a good enough HC to get this roster to win consistently.  That's the reason he deserved it.  We may go through several HCs before we find one good enough to get this roster to win.

But to the topic. if it was 4th an 2 near the goal line and the HC wanted the defense to allow the opponent to score, wouldn't that be a really dumb decision?  If it was 4th and 2.  Just stop them one play and you win.

They got a first down on 4th and 2. No, I don't think the HC wanted the defense to allow them to score at all. 

I felt it was a veiled sarcasm shot at Jeff. It does come on the heels of banging on the table for Frank at the expense of Ballard constantly. I doubt you have changed your stripes. You were the one who constantly kept defending Frank before finally doing a 180. That is why I made that comment because your other posts like "he has to hold them accountable etc." also were veiled shots at Saturday. 

This roster at QB and LT positions has not dramatically improved enough to offset mistakes made during a game, whether it is a FG miss or a fumble etc. though we "thought" we got the improvement at QB with Ryan. However, we can fight as hard as we showed yesterday, unlike with Frank to keep it close. With Frank, most likely the Colts get blown out by the Eagles, IMO. But I doubt any HC is going to be able to make up for what this team is, at best a .500 team as it is constructed. 

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They got a first down on 4th and 2. No, I don't think the HC wanted the defense to allow them to score at all. 

I felt it was a veiled sarcasm shot at Jeff. It does come on the heels of banging on the table for Frank at the expense of Ballard constantly. I doubt you have changed your stripes. You were the one who constantly kept defending Frank before finally doing a 180. That is why I made that comment because your other posts like "he has to hold them accountable etc." also were veiled shots at Saturday. 

This roster at QB and LT positions has not dramatically improved enough to offset mistakes made during a game, whether it is a FG miss or a fumble etc. though we "thought" we got the improvement at QB with Ryan. However, we can fight as hard as we showed yesterday, unlike with Frank to keep it close. With Frank, most likely the Colts get blown out by the Eagles, IMO. But I doubt any HC is going to be able to make up for what this team is, at best a .500 team as it is constructed. 

Well, about 150 posters on this forum always need one...maybe two...whipping boys to blame for everything as to take out their frustrations.

This forum got locked into the idea that playcalling, scheme, softness/accountability are the cause of the problems...and they also then linked those issues with Frank Reich....as if he was fired...we'd have different play calling, different scheme, different levels of "accountability" that meant anything.   Lose that single problem, Frank, and the rest of the issues go away.

I'm not one of those 150 posters.

So when I say, hey, the play calling is fine, the scheme is fine...Dungy was a quiet dude....150 posters form the opinion that I am defending Frank because ...THEY....wrongly decided to link those three things with Frank Reich.  Say playcalling is fine..your're defending Frank.  Say scheme is fine...you're defending Frank...say quiet is fine...you're defending Frank.  Their perception of what I say/believe is totally based upon their biased view of what the problems are combined to needing a perennial whipping boy as the lighting rod.  Nah, I don't say much around here that is actually about Frank.  It just seems that way to a lot of people. 

The Colts are not winning this year because we are not scoring points. We are not scoring points because we have players that are outmatched at critical moments....always it seems. 

If people want to now switch their whipping boy to Ballard as the lightning rod for their frustrations, fine with me, but I won't join in on the firing, just like I did not join in on all of the Frank-isms.  

But since they will focus on one person, they will probably think that when I point out roster deficiencies, its just a passive way of me criticizing Ballard.  Nah, I'm just pointing out the roster deficiencies.  Others can focus on their whipping boy of the season...that's on them.

17 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

There’s no other explanation for it it’s like the Red Sea had parted and Hurts just walked in untouched. If that was the actual play call it was *ic because there is no way this offense was going to drive 40 yards and give our inconsistent kicker a shot

I think it was a mental lapse by the defense, they were pretty gassed. There was literally not one person to hold Hurts true. I fully expected them to have atleast a spy and contains to try and have hurts beat them with his arm. But the interior of the defensive line collapsed on what looked to be a possibly designed QB run.

4 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Regardless, letting them score gives you some shot. 

this was simply my point, its a high school play used a great deal, however the offense was anemic today. I cant believe we couldn't get into FG range with 1:30 left. its just an indictment on our offense 

31 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

this was simply my point, its a high school play used a great deal, however the offense was anemic today. I cant believe we couldn't get into FG range with 1:30 left. its just an indictment on our offense 

Ryan just had no shot on the last drive. The LT got bullies once again...

Archived