Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday - Pat McAfee Show (Monday 11/14/2022)

BlueShoe

• BlueShoe changed the title to Jeff Saturday - Pat McAfee Show (Monday 11/14/2022)
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

This was awesome!

My favorite quote...

"If Jim was looking for a guy to tank, my number wouldn't have been on the speed dial."

Pat followed up with, It probably would have been mine. :D

Enjoy!

I can't believe anyone would think Jeff would be part of a tank job.  

Pat calls Joe Thomas and others like him, A Puppet. 

I agree with Pat on this... He thinks the reason some people are against this, is because they do not like Jeff Saturday, breaking down the Boys Club... He has a point. :)

Jeff said he called the offensive line out, and they responded the right way. We saw the results! 

Said the focus was to do fewer things, but we were going to do those fewer things well... 

Jeff confirmed many of our thoughts on this board. I highly recommend everyone listen to this. 

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I can't believe anyone would think Jeff would be part of a tank job.  

Yep, that is not what we are about. Just because we did it in 2011 once we got to 0-8 to get Andrew Luck doesn't mean we will ever do it again. We were 3-5-1, now 4-5-1 not 0-8/0-9, tanking is a loser mentality when you still have a chance at the playoffs. We have a Hall of Fame QB who proved yesterday he is still good, we have arguably the best RB in football, and a good defense. Why would we tank at 4-5-1?

It was very insightful that Jeff Saturday pointed out that former NBA players (like Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Steve Kerr etc.) have had head coaching jobs in the NBA. Former studio analysts/players like Aaron Boone has gone on to being "Manager" of the New York Yankees. It is just the NFL that hasn't gone down that trend. So, Jim Irsay might be a trend setter if this goes well. Former players should actually be rooting for this to go well so that it gives them another avenue they can be fast tracked for, if they have the attributes. 

I have to admit, I never thought of it that way. It is a copycat league. If Sean McVay is the next big thing, other owners want a Zac Taylor or Kevin O'Connell, and so on...

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, Pat spent 20+ minutes spent invalidating viewpoints... lol

Well East this really isn't too hard to understand is it?

I do NOT necessarily agree with the premise that Thomas and Cowher are identifying in all cases, although I am sympathetic to it and think it is useful in a lot of ways.

They simply feel that this kinda violates the dues paying path to coaching that has been the industry standard in just about everything in truly competitive fields.   But I certainly understand the viewpoint that it's not a thing that people trying to work their way up in coaching are all that excited about.  Some guys put in years of work to get a chance to be in the position Saturday ascended to.   Saturday didn't do anything to "earn" his position. 

To say that Saturday's hire was "unconventional" is a bit of an understatement.  He was granted a position that usually is earned through dues paying.  That's all Joe nd Bill are talking about.

Pat is great, but he's not some sort of arbiter of viewpoints like a feudal Lord.

Did he even recognize that it is a sort of slap in the face of people throughout coaching that a TV guy was hired who had helped coach HS teams to an average of 3 wins per season?  

I don't know if Saturday will work out or not.  I doubt it.  But who knows?

But to sit there and not acknowledge the "invalidation" of years of work guys have done to fill one of the HC or OC or DC positions as legitimate defensible viewpoint is at the minimum disingenuous.

AND TO USE A WIN V. THAT LV RAIDERS TEAM THIS WEEK,  SOMEHOW PROVES IRSAY RIGHT AND JOE THOMAS WRONG IS A DOWNRIGHT STUPID ARGUMENT.

That org is in really really bad shape especially with all the IR moves and the retirement. 

and if Okereke's hand doesn't swipe the ball away and we lose, then my opinion doesn't cahnge.  

All of this media negativity is literally people jumping on the bandwagon of the "But! But! But, the rooney rule, this is outrageous!" 

Let's, for a moment, forget the fact that the Rooney rule is lipstick on a pig and doesn't actually help minority coaches (just the  surface level 'perception' that the NFL is advocating for them).... Jeff Saturday being out head coach on an interim basis has no merit to be criticized for that because there is no rule for interim head coaches. 

Also, now what, if Jeff Saturday does well and essentially does earn the job, are the Colts going to be accused of avoiding the rule for hiring him in the offseason full time, despite the fact that he would have shown the capability for it during this season. Are we also saying that ANY NFL franchise that doesnt hire a minority coach for their next head coach are now avoiding the Rooney rule and are now inherently racist organisations? 

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

A lot of pro athletes jump right into the broadcast booth or the analyst chair, leapfrogging guys/gals who went to broadcast or journalism school or are working in small markets or studio shows waiting for a big break. Did Joe Thomas pay his dues in the broadcast world? 

I believe you are speaking of the hypocritical flaw in their argument. 

Which is why they are conveniently leaving that part out... :D

8 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

A lot of pro athletes jump right into the broadcast booth or the analyst chair, leapfrogging guys/gals who went to broadcast or journalism school or are working in small markets or studio shows waiting for a big break. Did Joe Thomas pay his dues in the broadcast world? 

Nope, he did not.  

i have lost allot of respect for Cowher.   What a putz. 

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I do NOT necessarily agree with the premise that Thomas and Cowher are identifying in all cases, although I am sympathetic to it and think it is useful in a lot of ways.

They simply feel that this kinda violates the dues paying path to coaching that has been the industry standard in just about everything in truly competitive fields.   But I certainly understand the viewpoint that it's not a thing that people trying to work their way up in coaching are all that excited about.  Some guys put in years of work to get a chance to be in the position Saturday ascended to.   Saturday didn't do anything to "earn" his position. 

To say that Saturday's hire was "unconventional" is a bit of an understatement.  He was granted a position that usually is earned through dues paying.  That's all Joe nd Bill are talking about.

Pat is great, but he's not some sort of arbiter of viewpoints like a feudal Lord.

Did he even recognize that it is a sort of slap in the face of people throughout coaching that a TV guy was hired who had helped coach HS teams to an average of 3 wins per season?  

But to sit there and not acknowledge the "invalidation" of years of work guys have done to fill one of the HC or OC or DC positions as legitimate defensible viewpoint is at the minimum disingenuous.

AND TO USE A WIN V. THAT LV RAIDERS TEAM THIS WEEK,  SOMEHOW PROVES IRSAY RIGHT AND JOE THOMAS WRONG IS A DOWNRIGHT STUPID ARGUMENT.

That org is in really really bad shape especially with all the IR moves and the retirement. 

and if Okereke's hand doesn't swipe the ball away and we lose, then my opinion doesn't cahnge.  

Did you listen to Pat, on his take on the hiring?

If not, please do, and let me know what you disagree. 

And on the overall situation... I've said it's not about W/Ls, it's about eval. 

If Jeff fails (W/Ls), no big deal. As long as eval is good, that's a win... 

One win doesn't matter. But it makes the drama queens look silly. 

And it's an interim position. And no reason for the drama about a interim position. It's a bunch whiny beaches. Listen Pat's comments about both Joe and Cowher. Very direct, factual, and logical... 

Let me know.

24 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

All of this media negativity is literally people jumping on the bandwagon of the "But! But! But, the rooney rule, this is outrageous!" 

Let's, for a moment, forget the fact that the Rooney rule is lipstick on a pig and doesn't actually help minority coaches (just the  surface level 'perception' that the NFL is advocating for them).... Jeff Saturday being out head coach on an interim basis has no merit to be criticized for that because there is no rule for interim head coaches. 

Also, now what, if Jeff Saturday does well and essentially does earn the job, are the Colts going to be accused of avoiding the rule for hiring him in the offseason full time, despite the fact that he would have shown the capability for it during this season. Are we also saying that ANY NFL franchise that doesnt hire a minority coach for their next head coach are now avoiding the Rooney rule and are now inherently racist organisations? 

Pat had an interesting take on how to help minority hiring. More help than the Rooney Rule. 

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, Pat spent 20+ minutes spent invalidating viewpoints... lol

First you shoot the messenger. Next, you appeal to authority. Ironic. Pat isn't media, driving clicks? Interesting how strong his opinion is after the Colts pull off a win, though. Last week he said the team had no shot...

This is the same 'Us vs Them' angle from last week. If anyone is supportive of the Colts, they're awesome and relevant. Anyone who is critical of the Saturday hire is being hypocritical, their opinion is biased and dimished, etc. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Did you listen to Pat, on his take on the hiring?

If not, please do, and let me know what you disagree. 

And on the overall situation... I've said it's not about W/Ls, it's about eval. 

If Jeff fails (W/Ls), no big deal. As long as eval is good, that's a win... 

One win doesn't matter. But it makes the drama queens look silly. 

And it's an interim position. And no reason for the drama about a interim position. It's a bunch whiny beaches. Listen Pat's comments about both Joe and Cowher. Very direct, factual, and logical... 

Let me know.

No man and I probably won't have the time, and truthfully I watch very little commentary.  I like to read that kind of  thing not watch.  

Give me the bullet points.  If you can.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not always against unconventionality.  Hell I left college and started working on a Salmon boat and then went and taught on an Indian Reservation. 

I'm no arguing that the that Joe and Bill are correct, I'm just saying that I can see that perspective.  

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

First you shoot the messenger. Next, you appeal to authority. Ironic. Pat isn't media, driving clicks? Interesting how strong his opinion is after the Colts pull off a win, though. Last week he said the team had no shot...

This is the same 'Us vs Them' angle from last week. If anyone is supportive of the Colts, they're awesome and relevant. Anyone who is critical of the Saturday hire is being hypocritical, their opinion is biased and dimished, etc. 

That's good way to put it.   This to me is frightening and makes me concerned with the future of my kids.  We desperately need critical thinking skills in this culture.  We don't have to agree when thinking critically in order to see a valid perspective.   Valid in this case simply means the argument follows from the premises.  It doesn't mean the premises are true.  The premises from Joe and Bill are very simply, that Coaches should work their way up to get a shot.  We can agree or disagree with that but it's not like it's some outlandish or even curmdegeonly viewpoint. 

It's all yeah/boo for the most part. When it comes to Colt's MB, politics, cancel culture, and when I argue with my wife. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not everyone... just the ones using hypocritical arguments and hyperbole. The ones that have wanted to do the exact same thing in the past like Joe Thomas. Or the ones that have in very similar way benefited in all sorts of fields like media for example.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Not everyone... just the ones using hypocritical arguments and hyperbole. The ones that have wanted to do the exact same thing in the past like Joe Thomas. Or the ones that have in very similar way benefited in all sorts of fields like media for example.

Yeah, I think you're clearly wrong on this. I replied in the other thread already, won't repeat myself here. 

But it's very obvious that the resistance to the negative reports and commentary is strongly rooted in the 'Us vs Them' mentality, and not based on the merits.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not appealing for anything. 

And Pat is totally about clicks. But he's not a fake, like others.

Not saying Pat is awesome in terms of opinion relevance. Everyone can an opinion, right??  But he's a better media guy (popularity), and better in the media game. 

Since you haven't listen.. 

His major points...

Joe Thomas went full tilt drama queen with "disrespectful" and  "egregious", and made it personal.... And Pat pointed out that Joe said he would take the Brown's HC job... Do you not see hypocrisy?

Bill Cowher's situation - Bill played a few years, and was a mediocre football player. He then coached only 6 years and got HC job. Many said he was too young and didn't have enough experience. Jeff played 14 years of high level football, more years than combined playing and coaching experience of Bill... So a bit funny?

I understand Pat's "logic" given the two above situations.

The logic is better than drama queen behavior and outraged/triggered tantrums, and making it personnel, like Joe and Bill did. 

You're siding media... that's fine. 

La Canfora is a loser, Joe was a great OT but nobody in media, and Bill was a good coach that didn't pay many dues.... 

I'll take Pat's facts, logic, and non-drama-queen takes... 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I think you're clearly wrong on this. I replied in the other thread already, won't repeat myself here. 

But it's very obvious that the resistance to the negative reports and commentary is strongly rooted in the 'Us vs Them' mentality, and not based on the merits.

It's not us vs them. I actually am with them on the surface of the argument(like I've already stated). I just felt the buckets of vitriol and dirt that was dumped on Saturday was beyond the pale.

55 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Good for you.

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's good way to put it.   This to me is frightening and makes me concerned with the future of my kids.  We desperately need critical thinking skills in this culture.  We don't have to agree when thinking critically in order to see a valid perspective.   Valid in this case simply means the argument follows from the premises.  It doesn't mean the premises are true.  The premises from Joe and Bill are very simply, that Coaches should work their way up to get a shot.  We can agree or disagree with that but it's not like it's some outlandish or even curmdegeonly viewpoint. 

It's all yeah/boo for the most part. When it comes to Colt's MB, politics, cancel culture, and when I argue with my wife. 

Did Joe and Bill provide critical thinking? Or were they more emotional? Was not Joe a hypocrite? And Bill's hiring as a HC after only 6 years, was called too soon, didn't pay enough dues... lol.

I get their opinions and that this hire was very unconventional.  But there is no rule that says you have to hire an interim coach from the coaching ranks either in your org or somewhere in the coaching "network."  The are entitled to their opinions and I am entitled to mine.  I just don't care what they think.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Jeff Saturday couldn't spend 15 years trying to climb the ranks.   He was playing in the NFL.   He more than paid his dues.    I know he was in far more team meetings than a lot of the current HCs in the league.   You don't think he and Peyton had a hand in game planning?  Irsay didn't just pick his name at random.    

Pat points out Bill Cowher took the Steelers HC job at 34 years old.    Guess what Jeff was doing at 34.  He paid his dues wearing a uniform 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It was very insightful that Jeff Saturday pointed out that former NBA players (like Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Steve Kerr etc.) have had head coaching jobs in the NBA. Former studio analysts/players like Aaron Boone has gone on to being "Manager" of the New York Yankees. It is just the NFL that hasn't gone down that trend. So, Jim Irsay might be a trend setter if this goes well. Former players should actually be rooting for this to go well so that it gives them another avenue they can be fast tracked for, if they have the attributes. 

I have to admit, I never thought of it that way. It is a copycat league. If Sean McVay is the next big thing, other owners want a Zac Taylor or Kevin O'Connell, and so on...

A lot of the media and ex players and ex coaches thought this was a joke hire because I have heard them say our owner has lost it. They said he has been in trouble with law before is what I was hearing and he doesn't know what he is doing. They called us a disgrace organization, this was a disrespectful hire. Those people seen, this was a way to really pounce on us if we lost. Believe me, the people talking smack about us thought we were going to lose, they were drooling at ripping us if we had lost. 

Will guess what, sorry about their luck, stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Colts win.

Now I have been hearing all day in the media, ex players and coaches how people are praising Jeff and re-tracking what they said. Wow, really, sorry we know what you really feel, too late The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

2 minutes ago, Wes Heilman said:

How much difference is there between an assistant coach and a center who plays in the NFL for 14 years? An experienced center with any leadership ability is an assistant coach.

Jeff was the QB of the OL, and played with one of best QBs of all time. So pretty good experience in terms of offense.

Mudd thought he was brilliant. 

He is a leader.

That's enough for an "interim" job. Not sure about a perm HC job lol.. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Did Joe and Bill provide critical thinking? Or were they more emotional? Was not Joe a hypocrite? And Bill's hiring as a HC after only 6 years, was called too soon, didn't pay enough dues... lol.

Well I didn't watch (like I said I watch almost no media or commentary on sports and haven't for 15 years or so after sickening of the sports yelling shows and talking over one another shows),

But again I am not arguing about how they said things and the ad hominem stuff as to what they did is entirely irrelevant IMO.  You don't need to have been a Saint in order to support an opinion. 

But I think from what I've read on here, they were asserting the position that hiring a coach with 0 Experience was a "slap" in the face of coaches working there ways up.

SO i can see that perspective.  That's all I'm saying.

It doesn't matter if Joe is jealous or Bill was a young hire.

But dude working for 6 years in a field and working for 0 seconds in a field don't seem to be equal to me. 

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jeff Saturday couldn't spend 15 years trying to climb the ranks.   He was playing in the NFL.   He more than paid his dues.    I know he was in far more team meetings than a lot of the current HCs in the league.   You don't think he and Peyton had a hand in game planning?  Irsay didn't just pick his name at random.    

Pat points out Bill Cowher took the Steelers HC job at 34 years old.    Guess what Jeff was doing at 34.  He paid his dues wearing a uniform 

meh. Most coaches either played in the league or have been coaching for a long time. 

Saturday hasn't paid any coaching dues other than a poor HS FB team. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

meh. Most coaches either played in the league or have been coaching for a long time. 

Saturday hasn't paid any coaching dues other than a poor HS FB team. 

The owner of the team thinks differently.    At the end of the day,  that's what matters.    I doubt Jeff is the permanent head coach.   I have a feeling he will have a hand in who it is though

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Yeah. I am curious to see what next Monday looks like. Victory laps after one game (against a likely 4-win team) are usually hasty and don't age well. 

I can understand where they are coming from, especially the coaches. And even a player like Joe Thomas, though I didn't agree with his use of superlatives to describe the situation. 

It's an unprecedented situation. And I am still not sure how to feel about what I think it means for this franchise going forward. But that remains to be seen, so I will have an open mind this offseason.

And I think that's when this will all blow over. Saturday will move to the FO and they will have a formal HC search. 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well I didn't watch (like I said I watch almost no media or commentary on sports and haven't for 15 years or so after sickening of the sports yelling shows and talking over one another shows),

But again I am not arguing about how they said things and the ad hominem stuff as to what they did is entirely irrelevant IMO.  You don't need to have been a Saint in order to support an opinion. 

But I think from what I've read on here, they were asserting the position that hiring a coach with 0 Experience was a "slap" in the face of coaches working there ways up.

SO i can see that perspective.  That's all I'm saying.

It doesn't matter if Joe is jealous or Bill was a young hire.

But dude working for 6 years in a field and working for 0 seconds in a field don't seem to be equal to me. 

I understand their perspective. They didn't need to be emotional, or make it personal. Or being hypocrites. 

But they are definitely not using critical thinking, which I am a big fan of. 

I agree 6 years is better than 0.

But I'll point out that Jeff was the QB of OL, played with an elite QB, and was known for hard work, leadership, very smart (about O), etc.. And coached HS, knows Indy, and consulted for Indy for multiple years. 

But most important... it's an interim job... 

Archived