Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday - Pat McAfee Show (Monday 11/14/2022)

BlueShoe

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's a good hypothetical. 

Easy answer is Pat stays the same, with the exception of rallying around his former teammate and defending the team they both played for. But he probably doesn't lash out against the Ravens for the hire. (And I'm giving him some benefit of the doubt. He plays favorites at times, and there could be some relationships involved that I'm not aware of here.)

Joe Thomas, IDK. He might not be quite as salty, because of Ray's standing around the NFL, compared to Jeff's. I think your point with this hypothetical, though, is that the narrative surrounding a black former player would be different, and that's probably the most true as it relates to Joe Thomas' potential reaction. To your point, the media in general would probably see this as a way to cheer for "the cause," and the narrative would be different. (But again, IMO, this would still be symptomatic of the underlying problem. Tell me Bisciotti went out and hired a high school coach from New Mexico, who hasn't lost a game in four years, who he doesn't know, and who happens to be a minority, and we probably have a different conversation.)

As for Bill Cowher, it's my opinion that he meant what he said about the process of becoming a head coach. Some of his thoughts were specific to Saturday previously declining a role on the staff, choosing not to join the team full time, and how that might impact the other coaches and the locker room. Without that being play, maybe his comments are not as forceful. But the bottom line of his point probably still stands. Again, I think he was being sincere, I think his comments were nuanced and thought out, and I'm not inclined to believe that he'd feel much differently about your hypothetical than he does about the Saturday situation. You might disagree, but that's my thinking.

I believe that you have given a very fair assessment. I agree with most of it too. 

I disagree with you on what Cowher's take would be though. I do not see anyone wanting to be the person who said anything negative about a minority coach signing. I believe the puppets would be given specific orders not to say anything negative about it. If Cowher said anything negative, then he would be sent to the Twitter Town Square and shamed. He would immediately be forced to publicly apologize, and may never have the stigma of racism removed. 

Also, Tony Dungy publicly disagreed with Cowher's reasoning... Family life balance stuff. That was Dungy calling nonsense with love in his heart. 

That said, the entire Jeff Saturday hiring was NOT criticized only because he is white. It plays a factor in the fifty thousand foot view of everything, though. If race was not A reason for the outcry then both situations would be equally criticized.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe that you have given a very fair assessment. I agree with most of it too. 

I disagree with you on what Cowher's take would be though. I do not see anyone wanting to be the person who said anything negative about a minority coach signing. I believe the puppets would be given specific orders not to say anything negative about it. If Cowher said anything negative, then he would be sent to the Twitter Town Square and shamed. He would immediately be forced to publicly apologize, and may never have the stigma of racism removed. 

Also, Tony Dungy publicly disagreed with Cowher's reasoning... Family life balance stuff. That was Dungy calling nonsense with love in his heart. 

That said, the entire Jeff Saturday hiring was NOT criticized only because he is white. It plays a factor in the fifty thousand foot view of everything, though. If race was not A reason for the outcry then both situations would be equally criticized.

I don't think it would be particularly hard for Cowher's point to be made without sounding regressive. But if a network tells a talking head 'we're not gonna go there,' respecting the rules doesn't make the analyst a puppet. It's my opinion that Cowher was being sincere.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think it would be particularly hard for Cowher's point to be made without sounding regressive. But if a network tells a talking head 'we're not gonna go there,' respecting the rules doesn't make the analyst a puppet. It's my opinion that Cowher was being sincere.

That’s a fair perspective. I think we mostly agree. Good discussion, man. :) 

On 11/14/2022 at 2:55 PM, Superman said:

First you shoot the messenger. Next, you appeal to authority. Ironic. Pat isn't media, driving clicks? Interesting how strong his opinion is after the Colts pull off a win, though. Last week he said the team had no shot...

This is the same 'Us vs Them' angle from last week. If anyone is supportive of the Colts, they're awesome and relevant. Anyone who is critical of the Saturday hire is being hypocritical, their opinion is biased and dimished, etc. 

Actually, to be critical of the hire is OK.   It is the reason given that matters.  
Joe Thomas put his hat in the ring for the Browns coaching job even though he had no experience and he went off on Jeff for taking the head coaching job.

Cowher went on a rant against the Colts for not promoting Gus (who has a .200 winning percentage as a head coach) and for hiring Jeff for not having paid his dues as an assistant coach when he got the head coaching job in Pittsburg when he was 34 years old.  He played in the NFL for 5 years and Jeff played for 14 years as one of the best centers in the league.  

Archived