Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday - Pat McAfee Show (Monday 11/14/2022)

BlueShoe

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, that is not what we are about. Just because we did it in 2011 once we got to 0-8 to get Andrew Luck doesn't mean we will ever do it again. We were 3-5-1, now 4-5-1 not 0-8/0-9, tanking is a loser mentality when you still have a chance at the playoffs. We have a Hall of Fame QB who proved yesterday he is still good, we have arguably the best RB in football, and a good defense. Why would we tank at 4-5-1?

Especially since there probably are no Lucks or Mannings available. We might end up drafting a left tackle first.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The owner of the team thinks differently.    At the end of the day,  that's what matters.    I doubt Jeff is the permanent head coach.   I have a feeling he will have a hand in who it is though

O sure.  I'm all for ownership rights man.  Jimmy Boy can do what he wants with his money and team lol.   

My opinion of Irsay is he's a bumbling meddler, but we don't know what all is going on behind closed doors.

I vote by not showing up.  My family and I will not be making our yearly trip to Indy for a game.  I already went to KC with friends, but we won't be spending hundreds on this product. My family by itself is not significant in that we usually buy 4-8 tickets total a year and eat and drink outside the stadium

Just sharing my speculative thoughts on a Colts' MB.

53 minutes ago, Nickster said:

No man and I probably won't have the time, and truthfully I watch very little commentary.  I like to read that kind of  thing not watch.  

Give me the bullet points.  If you can.

Pretty much calling Joe out for saying Jeff shouldn't have accepted the position because he didn't put in years and years as an assistant coach when Joe through his hat in the ring for the Browns head coaching job a couple years ago.

Called Cowher out because he took the Steeler head coaching job when he was 34 years old.

All was Pats points were factual unlike Thomas and Cowhers.   

He also pointed out that this could open avenues for former players to get jobs without having to spend a decade in coaching at different levels.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah. I am curious to see what next Monday looks like. Victory laps after one game (against a likely 4-win team) are usually hasty and don't age well. 

I can understand where they are coming from, especially the coaches. And even a player like Joe Thomas, though I didn't agree with his use of superlatives to describe the situation. 

It's an unprecedented situation. And I am still not sure how to feel about what I think it means for this franchise going forward. But that remains to be seen, so I will have an open mind this offseason.

And I think that's when this will all blow over. Saturday will move to the FO and they will have a formal HC search. 

Yeah we play Philly next week so if we do lose which nobody will give us a chance anyway, does that take away from yesterday? I am sure the people that pile on after losses will be here again if we lose to the best team in football, ROLLS EYES lmao . 

14 minutes ago, Wes Heilman said:

How much difference is there between an assistant coach and a center who plays in the NFL for 14 years? An experienced center with any leadership ability is an assistant coach.

This is true. But this is also HC, not Reggie Wayne taking over as WR coach or some player getting hired to be an assistant coach for the first time.  

Saturday definitely has leadership ability. I don't think that is the issue that people are having. 

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Pretty much calling Joe out for saying Jeff shouldn't have accepted the position because he didn't put in years and years as an assistant coach when Joe through his hat in the ring for the Browns head coaching job a couple years ago.

Called Cowher out because he took the Steeler head coaching job when he was 34 years old.

All was Pats points were factual unlike Thomas and Cowhers.   

He also pointed out that this could open avenues for former players to get jobs without having to spend a decade in coaching at different levels.

Cowher choked so many times in his career I lost count. The SB he won was gift rapped by the REFS. Seahawks got so ripped off that even John Madden said the officiating was rotten. SB 40 lmao 

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

meh. Most coaches either played in the league or have been coaching for a long time. 

Saturday hasn't paid any coaching dues other than a poor HS FB team. 

Well, Bradley and Fox, who people are saying Irsay should have promoted, Fox has been fired from multiple head coaching jobs and is a .500 coach.  Bradley is a career .226 as a head coach.  You think one of them would be the better choice for the interim? 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I understand their perspective. They didn't need to be emotional, or make it personal. Or being hypocrites. 

But they are definitely not using critical thinking, which I am a big fan of. 

I agree 6 years is better than 0.

But I'll point out that Jeff was the QB of OL, played with an elite QB, and was known for hard work, leadership, very smart (about O), etc.. And coached HS, knows Indy, and consulted for Indy for multiple years. 

But most important... it's an interim job... 

And man sometimes you just need something else, unconventionality.  It has worked in baseball for GMs.  Theo Epstein had NO baseball background.

It might eventually work in coaching too.  Someone who didn't grow up with the game with top analysis, decision making skills.

Dude in my frat became an NBA HEAD COACH and didn't even make the high school team he was on. He paid his dues as team manager for Knight and years as a staff guy though.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we play Philly next week so if we do lose which nobody will give us a chance anyway, does that take away from yesterday? I am sure the people that pile on after losses will be here again if we lose to the best team in football, ROLLS EYES lmao . 

Victory laps after a win against LV is ~ piling on (sky is falling; Saturday is a disaster mentality) after a loss. They are both overreactions...that's the point. 

Next week has its own storylines though with Sirianni, Reich's former OC (and long-time colleague). I doubt he has anything against the team that helped him to become a HC, but I am sure he doesn't like seeing his mentor become a scapegoat. As wild as this season has gotten, I half expect Sirianni to hire Reich as an offensive consultant this week.

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And man sometimes you just need something else, unconventionality.  It has worked in baseball for GMs.  Theo Epstein had NO baseball background.

It might eventually work in coaching too.  Someone who didn't grow up with the game with top analysis, decision making skills.

Dude in my frat became an NBA HEAD COACH and didn't even make the high school team he was on. He paid his dues as team manager for Knight and years as a staff guy though.

Lawrence Frank?

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not us vs them. I actually am with them on the surface of the argument(like I've already stated). I just felt the buckets of vitriol and dirt that was dumped on Saturday was beyond the pale.

I don't disagree with the bolded.

There are people who have made this 'Us vs Them' from the time the first reports came out. Wasn't directed at you.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yup. I'm OK with unconventional. I've made unconventional hires/promotions. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't work. It's not the end of world if they don't. And in this case, it's just 2 months and interim. Nobody will care if Jeff doesn't work out. I would most concerned if it was 4 year contract lol. My primary concern now is good eval. 

I'm sure Jeff will look analytics during the week for prep/practice. But I'd guess he is about feel and situational coaching.  I'm sure Parks is all about analytics though. 

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

O sure.  I'm all for ownership rights man.  Jimmy Boy can do what he wants with his money and team lol.   

My opinion of Irsay is he's a bumbling meddler, but we don't know what all is going on behind closed doors.

I vote by not showing up.  My family and I will not be making our yearly trip to Indy for a game.  I already went to KC with friends, but we won't be spending hundreds on this product. My family by itself is not significant in that we usually buy 4-8 tickets total a year and eat and drink outside the stadium

Just sharing my speculative thoughts on a Colts' MB.

That's the part that concerns me. I don't mind what has happened this season at all if it leads to a new direction. However, I am not stoked about how much Irsay has been involved recently. He seems very impulsive and it makes it difficult to trust anything that is said. 

And while I have no idea how all execs, coaches and players around the league feel, I am sure many see the dysfunction.  

I went to my one Colts game in TEN. I used to go to 4 or so games (not including playoffs) each season. I hope to get back to it next season, as I hope a lot of movement happens this offseason.

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And BTW, any watch HS FB last weekend. I watched a few games. Good stuff.

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's the part that concerns me. I don't mind what has happened this season at all if it leads to a new direction. However, I am not stoked about how much Irsay has been involved recently. He seems very impulsive and it makes it difficult to trust anything that is said. 

And while I have no idea how all execs, coaches and players around the league feel, I am sure many see the dysfunction.  

I went to my one Colts game in TEN. I used to go to 4 or so games (not including playoffs) each season. I hope to get back to it next season, as I hope a lot of movement happens this offseason.

I don't think Jim is normally getting this involved.  I think since last year he has lost some trust in his mgmt team.  I think that is one reason he went outside for his interim HC.  I think he is tired of the QB revolving door and the lack of real improvement on the field.

So I hope he sets his mgmt team up in a way that he trusts them again.  Whether that includes Ballard and Saturday next year I don't really care at this point.  I just hope he goes back to being the chearleader in chief and has trust in his team.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't disagree with the bolded.

There are people who have made this 'Us vs Them' from the time the first reports came out. Wasn't directed at you.

Yeah, It’s a weird week and everyone seems vindicated by this win and anyone that doesn’t have the same vindication is the enemy. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not appealing for anything. 

And Pat is totally about clicks. But he's not a fake, like others.

Not saying Pat is awesome in terms of opinion relevance. Everyone can an opinion, right??  But he's a better media guy (popularity), and better in the media game. 

Since you haven't listen.. 

His major points...

Joe Thomas went full tilt drama queen with "disrespectful" and  "egregious", and made it personal.... And Pat pointed out that Joe said he would take the Brown's HC job... Do you not see hypocrisy?

Bill Cowher's situation - Bill played a few years, and was a mediocre football player. He then coached only 6 years and got HC job. Many said he was too young and didn't have enough experience. Jeff played 14 years of high level football, more years than combined playing and coaching experience of Bill... So a bit funny?

I understand Pat's "logic" given the two above situations.

The logic is better than drama queen behavior and outraged/triggered tantrums, and making it personnel, like Joe and Bill did. 

You're siding media... that's fine. 

La Canfora is a loser, Joe was a great OT but nobody in media, and Bill was a good coach that didn't pay many dues.... 

I'll take Pat's facts, logic, and non-drama-queen takes... 

Just listened to Pat. He had a strong take, the only thing I disagree with is him calling everyone who was critical of the Saturday hire a puppet, as if it's impossible for someone to dislike what the Colts did on its own merits. 

The bolded is inaccurate. I'm simply not dismissing the media because they're being mean to my favorite team. 

Second bolded is rich. The opposing viewpoints were based in fact and logic as well. "Drama queen" is in the eye of the beholder. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just listened to Pat. He had a strong take, the only thing I disagree with is him calling everyone who was critical of the Saturday hire a puppet, as if it's impossible for someone to dislike what the Colts did on its own merits. 

I believe that Pat has had a very strong and convincing take of this entire situation. You mentioned earlier in this thread that Pat said Jeff Saturday would fail. Pat was literally processing this, brainstorming this entire situation as it was unfolding. On the fly. He was back and forth on things for a while as he talked through it. At one point he said Jeff might fail, and another point he was like, well maybe Jeff might succeed. He has given this entire situation more thought than anyone else in the media. And he has been very transparent about his thought process. 

I would like to see Thomas or Cowher debate Pat on his take. I believe Pat would win that debate. 

I believe Pat is onto something about the Boys Club of coaches. Jeff Saturday could break that wall down and redefine the hiring process. That would open the door for many former players... And thus eliminate the need for climbing the ranks. 

And it is very hypocritical for Cowher or Thomas to cry about having to climb ranks, when I am sure there are many journalist who worked very hard to have the jobs that Cowher and Thomas currently have. I may have missed it, but did Cowher or Thomas get a masters degree in journalism or communications? Some players do. Did they? Or did they jump the line?

Pat may not have realized the can of worms he has opened. And I think it is worth exploring. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The bolded is inaccurate. I'm simply not dismissing the media because they're being mean to my favorite team. 

Second bolded is rich. The opposing viewpoints were based in fact and logic as well. "Drama queen" is in the eye of the beholder. 

Why can't you debate the facts?

I dismiss horrible reporters like La Canfora, because he is a joke, and is known for incorrect reporting, if not making stuff up. 

I dismiss Joe Thomas because made personal, went full tilt drama queen, and criticized something he himself said he would do. 

So easy for me to dismiss both two. If you want carry water for either, OK.

But why can't you acknowledge the obvious things with those two situations?

You refuse to address the specifics facts, and they are facts. Are they not facts?

I respect Cowher as a coach, But his hiring was criticized because he didn't pay enough dues... not ironic?

Perhaps "drama queen" is a bad term... I know you like to play with word usage, and play the semantics games. 

So let's say it's unneeded emotion, and made things personal when it was not called for. 

Were Josh and Bill were over-emotional about a 2 month temporary assignment?

Did Josh and Bill make things personal, which was uncalled for?

So hey, try and address the specific facts and questions above. 

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Viewpoints are like (a******* / belly buttons), everybody has one. One is not better than another. Some are even wrong.

Some are more factual, some are more emotional. Some are bias, some are unbias. Some can be correct, some can be wrong. 

But yes, like a***** / belly buttons.. 

33 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe that Pat has had a very strong and convincing take of this entire situation. You mentioned earlier in this thread that Pat said Jeff Saturday would fail. Pat was literally processing this, brainstorming this entire situation as it was unfolding. On the fly. He was back and forth on things for a while as he talked through it. At one point he said Jeff might fail, and another point he was like, well maybe Jeff might succeed. He has given this entire situation more thought than anyone else in the media. And he has been very transparent about his thought process. 

I would like to see Thomas or Cowher debate Pat on his take. I believe Pat would win that debate. 

I believe Pat is onto something about the Boys Club of coaches. Jeff Saturday could break that wall down and redefine the hiring process. That would open the door for many former players... And thus eliminate the need for climbing the ranks. 

And it is very hypocritical for Cowher or Thomas to cry about having to climb ranks, when I am sure there are many journalist who worked very hard to have the jobs that Cowher and Thomas currently have. I may have missed it, but did Cowher or Thomas get a masters degree in journalism or communications? Some players do. Did they? Or did they jump the line?

Pat may not have realized the can of worms he has opened. And I think it is worth exploring. 

But Saturday is sort of already in the boy's club. Wasn't he like the lead negotiator for the NFLPA during the 2011 lockout? Bowen was talking about Saturday rubbing shoulders with Kraft at the negotiations. He's not your typical former player.

I think this is far more likely an unconventional move by an unconventional owner looking to shake up some major dysfunction...rather than symbolic catalyst for former players to start getting HC or even coordinator gigs. But we will see.

I can see how some could see this an opportunity to increase the % of black coaches though. Given that the majority of former players are black (or at least definitely will be going forward), if the prevalence of former players starting out as HCs or coordinators increases, odds are that it would shrink the current disparity...it would have to.

Yup. I'm OK with unconventional. I've made unconventional hires/promotions. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't work. It's not the end of world if they don't. And in this case, it's just 2 months and interim. Nobody will care if Jeff doesn't work out. I would most concerned if it was 4 year contract lol. My primary concern now is good eval. 

I'm sure Jeff will look analytics during the week for prep/practice. But I'd guess he is about feel and situational coaching.  I'm sure Parks is all about analytics though. 

I will say I’m weary of the trend bucking moves by Colts management lol.  I’d like to see a more by the approach at this point.  “The PLAN” has wearied me.

didn’t see any HS FB, went to a raging bonfire party in a stripper pit.  (Like seriously.)

But my alma mater my sons attend had a big upset and are playing for LOS Friday here in town.

And BTW, any watch HS FB last weekend. I watched a few games. Good stuff.

I was surprised my Brownsburg bulldogs lost to Cathedral. It is like they suddenly stopped scoring. They won 42-35 in their regular season meeting vs Cathedral but lost 7-14. I would have understood if they lost 21-28 or something but 7-14 was a disappointment. Those Cathedral boys are big and can dominate the line of scrimmage and was surprised why they didn't run more vs Brownsburg in their first time against lighter guys that play well against passing teams and it helped so far since Brownsburg was scoring, keeping opponents in trailing position. Cathedral must have wised up the second time around, they have a greater tradition than Brownsburg.

However, I went to Lucas Oil Stadium twice on Saturday (semifinals and finals of Grand Nationals) because Brownsburg Marching Band that my daughter is in (Color Guard portion) went to Grand Nationals Finals for the first time in their school history and finished 8th. Carmel and Avon, the traditional powers of Marching Bands, finished 1 and 2 in Grand Nationals with Broken Arrow from Oklahoma, last year's champ that beat Carmel, finished 3rd. Brownsburg hired their band director from Broken Arrow in 2016, and we made the Grand Nationals Finals (top 12 out of 100 bands) for the first time in his 6 years. So job well done by the band. Carmel is like a machine when it comes to execution in the Marching Band. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I was surprised my Brownsburg bulldogs lost to Cathedral. It is like they suddenly stopped scoring. They won 42-35 in their regular season meeting vs Cathedral but lost 7-14. I would have understood if they lost 21-28 or something but 7-14 was a disappointment. Those Cathedral boys are big and can dominate the line of scrimmage and was surprised why they didn't run more vs Brownsburg in their first time against lighter guys that play well against passing teams and it helped so far since Brownsburg was scoring, keeping opponents in trailing position. Cathedral must have wised up the second time around, they have a greater tradition than Brownsburg.

However, I went to Lucas Oil Stadium twice on Saturday (semifinals and finals of Grand Nationals) because Brownsburg Marching Band that my daughter is in (Color Guard portion) went to Grand Nationals Finals for the first time in their school history and finished 8th. Carmel and Avon, the traditional powers of Marching Bands, finished 1 and 2 in Grand Nationals with Broken Arrow from Oklahoma, last year's champ that beat Carmel, finished 3rd. Brownsburg hired their band director from Broken Arrow in 2016, and we made the Grand Nationals Finals (top 12 out of 100 bands) for the first time in his 6 years. So job well done by the band. Carmel is like a machine when it comes to execution in the Marching Band. 

Congrats Chads daughter.  

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Congrats Chads daughter.  

Thanks!!! It was a LOOONNNNGGGG day on Saturday. I am sure a lot of band parents can relate. Wake up at 4:30 am in the morning, get her ready to be at school by 6:45 am (though it was my wife helping with her hair and make up and I was there to help with packing lunch and snacks and driving her to school), and then went to watch the semis around 11 am and came back home at 5 pm. They make you leave LOS, buy tickets separately for the Finals (you go from 34 teams to 12 teams in Finals, so you don't know if they will make it) and then go back at 8 pm and by the time everything was done, we all went to bed around 2:30 am the next morning. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Thanks!!! It was a LOOONNNNGGGG day on Saturday. I am sure a lot of band parents can relate. Wake up at 4:30 am in the morning, get her ready to be at school by 6:45 am (though it was my wife helping with her hair and make up and I was there to help with packing lunch and snacks and driving her to school), and then went to watch the semis around 11 am and came back home at 5 pm. They make you leave LOS, buy tickets separately for the Finals (you go from 34 teams to 12 teams in Finals, so you don't know if they will make it) and then go back at 8 pm and by the time everything was done, we all went to bed around 2:30 am the next morning. 

Yep. Done that before! I was one of the weird rare kiddos that did both band and football. My fall weekends were literally nothing but those two things haha… 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ima show choir Dad man.  Lol.  Nickster knows long days.  And nights.

28 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But Saturday is sort of already in the boy's club. Wasn't he like the lead negotiator for the NFLPA during the 2011 lockout? Bowen was talking about Saturday rubbing shoulders with Kraft at the negotiations. He's not your typical former player.

I think this is far more likely an unconventional move by an unconventional owner looking to shake up some major dysfunction...rather than symbolic catalyst for former players to start getting HC or even coordinator gigs. But we will see.

I can see how some could see this an opportunity to increase the % of black coaches though. Given that the majority of former players are black (or at least definitely will be going forward), if the prevalence of former players starting out as HCs or coordinators increases, odds are that it would shrink the current disparity...it would have to.

That’s not the coaching boys club.  These people upset that Saturday “skipped the line” are just mad that he got a break they didn’t get or are worried about their world being exposed and you may not have to slave always for years as a lowly paid assistant working insane hours to become a head coach.  

I am not going to say being a head coach requires no football experience.  It clearly does.  However, a head coach is more about leadership and ability to make decisions.  The Xs and Os of coaching (which is important don’t get me wrong) is largely handled by coordinators and position coaches.  Head coaches aren’t as involved in that aspect of the game unless you are calling plays like Frank was.  

31 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I will say I’m weary of the trend bucking moves by Colts management lol.  I’d like to see a more by the approach at this point.  “The PLAN” has wearied me.

didn’t see any HS FB, went to a raging bonfire party in a stripper pit.  (Like seriously.)

But my alma mater my sons attend had a big upset and are playing for LOS Friday here in town.

I think we need evaluation, before we have a "plan". Unless step 1 in the plan is eval... and IMO, that's we're doing... 

Sounds fun, and like my buddies lol.. Thank god I moved out of state, or I'd be getting in trouble with buddies. 

I streamed jumped between several games. Cathedral/Brownsburg, Roncalli/NewPal, WC/CG, and a little of Chatard. Have family and friends with kids at those schools now or last 10 years. I've always followed the parochial schools loosely over the years.  

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cathedral is always tough. And yes, the score was unexpected. 

Cool for your kid!!!

My buddies kid was in the MB for WC last year. Not very good though lol.. 

I know Carmel is good. I have family in the Carmel and Fisher area, and heard. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

What year did you graduate Bburg?

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Why can't you debate the facts?

I dismiss horrible reporters like La Canfora, because he is a joke, and is known for incorrect reporting, if not making stuff up. 

I dismiss Joe Thomas because made personal, went full tilt drama queen, and criticized something he himself said he would do. 

So easy for me to dismiss both two. If you want carry water for either, OK.

But why can't you acknowledge the obvious things with those two situations?

You refuse to address the specifics facts, and they are facts. Are they not facts?

I respect Cowher as a coach, But his hiring was criticized because he didn't pay enough dues... not ironic?

Perhaps "drama queen" is a bad term... I know you like to play with word usage, and play the semantics games. 

So let's say it's unneeded emotion, and made things personal when it was not called for. 

Were Josh and Bill were over-emotional about a 2 month temporary assignment?

Did Josh and Bill make things personal, which was uncalled for?

So hey, try and address the specific facts and questions above. 

This is pointless. 

I've stated my position a dozen times, you're just ignoring it and moving the goal posts. 

Archived