Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard isn’t going anywhere (he will be retained for 2023)

BlueShoe

Ballard isn’t going anywhere and it’s the right call. 

Jim Irsay can come off as very goofy. We all know that. But today’s decisions were all about trying to keep this team together. 

The Colts have a top notch defense and Gus Bradley is taking them to new heights. Bubba Ventrone is one of the best special teams coordinators in the business. Losing them would set this franchise back an additional 2-3 years. 

We need to fix the offense. That’s not a reason to blow this team up. 

As crazy as Jim can sound sometimes, he made the right decisions today. 

It might be a bumpy ride for the rest of the season. But Jim Irsay is keeping this team intact. It’s the smart play. 

• BlueShoe changed the title to Ballard isn’t going anywhere (he will be retained for 2023)
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Jim Irsay can come off as very goofy. We all know that. But today’s decisions were all about trying to keep this team together. 

The Colts have a top notch defense and Gus Bradley is taking them to new heights. Bubba Ventrone is one of the best special teams coordinators in the business. Losing them would set this team back an additional 2-3 years. 

learn to read between the lines...of course irsay isn't gonna out and say it straight up but we all know Ballards a goner after this year..

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

learn to read between the lines...of course irsay isn't gonna out and say it straight up but we all know Ballards a goner after this year..

I’ve listened to Jim Irsay talk for decades. I know how to read him. 

Ballard will be here next season. Bank on it. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The Colts have a top notch defense and Gus Bradley is taking them to new heights. Bubba Ventrone is one of the best special teams coordinators in the business. Losing them would set this team back an additional 2-3 years. 

It might be a bumpy ride for the rest of the season. But Jim Irsay is keeping this team intact. It’s the smart play. 

There's a good chance you are right. Let's see what happens in the coming months. Saturday may surprise you in how even Ballard improves.

If Ballard were a goner, I doubt Irsay would have spent 24 hours with Ballard, working this thing out.  Frank being fired today signaled to me Ballard will be back.  If Frank and Ballard were tied at the hip, Irsay would have just waited 8 games and cleaned house.

Just now, coltsfan_canada said:

I am glad Ballard is back and should be given a chance with new HC, although I do blame him for not moving from Frank after last year failure. 

I believe that Ballard fought to keep Frank. And I also believe that Jim Irsay believes Ballard is the best GM in the NFL. 

Ballard once made a comment. He said he did not want to be known as the guy who traded Luck away. I believe Jim Irsay feels the same way about Chris Ballard. 

Jim said a week ago or something that Frank was safe. It's almost a stupid question to ask, unless you think the person isn't prepared and might give something away from their body language. You think he's gonna say yes in front of the media and while sitting next to Ballard?

38 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't see any justification or reasons in anything you've posted. Why is it the right call? Highly debatable to say the least. He's made some great moves...and some horrific ones...and his bungling of the OL alone is IMO cause for firing considerations. I thought he saw how that putz Grigson did the same thing and learned from it, drafting Nelson etc. But it appears he got smug with his great OL and though he could let guys go, not replace them, and the backups/retreads would work because they were "his guys." ugh.

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe that Ballard fought to keep Frank. 

That's pretty obvious. Ballard had multiple chances to say otherwise, but he danced around it. He didn't want to fire Frank, not right now, and he probably didn't want Jeff Saturday to come in as interim. But it's clear that Irsay is driving the bus right now.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

The Colts have a top notch defense and Gus Bradley is taking them to new heights. Bubba Ventrone is one of the best special teams coordinators in the business. Losing them would set this franchise back an additional 2-3 years. 

Goofy? I’d say delusional. He described Ballard as successful. 

The problem is that Ballard BROKE the line by letting fish, chris Reed and glowinski walk. The replacements they signed have led to becoming one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

And make no mistake, this season fell apart because of the collapse of the offensive line. 

40 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe that Ballard fought to keep Frank. And I also believe that Jim Irsay believes Ballard is the best GM in the NFL. 

Ballard once made a comment. He said he did not want to be known as the guy who traded Luck away. I believe Jim Irsay feels the same way about Chris Ballard. 

Huh? Why would he have traded Luck? Ballard was once a hot commodity but he’s not anymore. He has a losing record and after five years the team is in shambles. 

I highly doubt what Irsay said today in the conference has any real meaning. As many have said, he said Frank was safe a week or two ago and now he is gone. Owners say crap like this all the time. You really think he is going to answer that question any other way? 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

He also said Reich was safe. It will be Jeff's  call and I bet if he stays, he will want his own guy  as they all do. I bet Ballard is gone.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

The problem is that Ballard BROKE the line by letting fish, chris Reed and glowinski walk. The replacements they signed have led to becoming one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

And make no mistake, this season fell apart because of the collapse of the offensive line. 

I think it is kind of erroneous to say the collapse of the Oline. I pointed it out before the season started that this Oline graded out  like one of the worst in pass pro. People dismissed as an   anomaly and not  a trend. Well here we are and it appears that this is trlhr real Oline. Can't protect and can't run block and qbs enter at your own risk.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

He’s smoking some good stuff if he believes Ballard is the best gm. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He also said Reich was safe. It will be Jeff's  call and I bet if he stays, he will want his own guy  as they all do. I bet Ballard is gone.

You are saying that Jeff, the Interim head coach, will want his own GM. :D:D:Dlmao

And then you finish with, because “they all do”. :Dlmaolmao

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Made this thread worth it. lmao

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

this is a joke, right

9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I am hoping they keep Ballard around.

I have no problem with Ballard staying.  Honestly that’s what I’d prefer as I think they are closer than most think to being good.  The line has to be fixed and they need a QB, which is like saying hey if I just win the lottery I can retire.  However, if Ballard can do those things I think the rest of this team is talented enough to win.  They might need some corner help this off-season and maybe another end but the rest of the defense is pretty darn good.  They should get Rigo back at punting and honestly Chase has done well enough I’d bring him back another year.  I actually like the Colts skill players if they elect to keep Campbell.  So they have some good talent.  

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard needs to go younger at QB next year 100% whether that's in the draft or another route.

He's an excellent talent evaluator and so I have faith whether they take LT or QB or whoever in 1st in 2023 they will come out strong and ready!

I'd bet a QB in the 1R, and a vet LT (if Jeff can't figure it out before the end season)... 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I have a feeling LT next year will be split between Andre Dillard and Bernhard Raimann 

Raimann has to go big time on S&C. He's got good technique, and lateral quickness, but just weak. Hoping his frame is not maxed. Hit the protein shakes 5 times per day, visit White Castles several times per day, and live in the weight room. 

52 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

jeff is the cleanup   man , heads will roll

That’s always possible. As Saturday said, the only person safe is the owner of the team. 

Jim Irsay made a decision that would give the team the best chance of staying intact. 

The Colts have an outstanding defense, and Gus Bradley appears to be a perfect match for the Colts defensive personnel. Rebuilding the defense with a new scheme would set this franchise back years. 

Bubba Ventrone is as good as it gets.

A total rebuild would set this franchise back about 5 years. And there is no sense in that, when the problem is on one side of the ball. 

Before the news broke, that Saturday was going to be the head coach, I said it would take some creativity to pull it off. And Jim Irsay did just that. He gave this team a chance to stay together.

Even if Saturday loses every game, we do not have to rebuild the entire team now. We need to figure out the offensive line, and the quarterback. Do that, and this team is back in contention. It could be a quick, 1 year turnaround. 

Archived