Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TUNE IN: Jim Irsay, Chris Ballard and Jeff Saturday Press Conference at 7:30 PM ET

BlueShoe

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that you can't deny, as crappy as the Colts are, they are nothing if not interesting/chaotic.

Everyone can see, if the Colts don't learn how to block, they won't win another game.  I feel like most people are OK with firing Reich.  So then the question becomes, what do we need to add to the franchise that Reich didn't have.  I feel like Irsay felt like we were missing a certain amount of toughness and fire.  He pondered who does he know that could bring that in spades and decided it was Jeff Saturday.

No one believes that Jeff Saturday is an offensive mastermind, or an X and O's genius, but maybe just maybe he can have an influence on the staff and players that adds to our competiveness.  I think at the least, by the end of the season, we will know who we have, that are "all in" per Irsay.

2 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I was expecting 90% of the questions to be directed at Ballard after he finally comes up for air- did not happen. -weird.

I know. I’m disappointed by the media asking dumb questions to Irsay after his first answer. He took 3 minutes to answer each question & there were only about 8 questions in total. 

Questions I expected:

“Chris/Jeff - what is your vision going forward with this offense?”

”Do you think the Colts have the ability to win more games this year? Is the current offensive personnel good enough to win?”

8 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Saturday is articulate unlike Irsay and Pagano.

Maybe Irsay got his Vrabel-lite clone in Saturday because it sure peeved him we played uninspired vs the Patriots while Vrabel’s Titans continue to play inspired on the road vs the Chiefs. That was the last straw for him. 

Like John Elway said after firing Jon Fox after the 2014 divisional round loss at home to Luck and the Colts to hire Kubiak, “we didn’t go out kicking and screaming”. That’s what Irsay is hoping to see under Saturday that he didn’t see under Reich. Let’s hope it works out but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I enjoyed the news conference but it seems most on here only watched to be critical of what was said so they can slam either Irsay or Ballard. Ballard only spoke when spoken to but it seems that several are critical of that. If he would have interrupted the person who the question was addressed to they would have gone ballistic so I guess they were disappointed that he only spoke when spoken to. Sad state of affairs.  May be typical of most fan bases but thought the Colt fans were above that.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

When won the SuperBowl.

Thats the only time any teams fans are truly happy. If it takes that to be happy then fans should find something better to make them happy because they ain't going to be happy very often being a fan of any NFL team. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard did seem cocky 

Wait, did he basically say Alec Pierce wasn’t necessary? He could have addressed it in FA. Eric Fisher was/is still available. Ballard is turning into a Matt Millen like stubborn meathead who wants to live and die by the sword of his mistakes, going down with it without acknowledging them.

Thats the reason for FA, because you can’t draft everything 

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Did he seriously say that? 

No.  When asked about the current problems with the oline, he basically just said...I told you guys the oline was important when y'all wanted wideouts.

But he avoided anything specific about Pryor, his LT or RG moves.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard did seem cocky 

Ballard did seem cocky 

Ballard seemed like himself confident.  I dont think Ballard implied tbat at all. Writers gotta write thinsg to get clicks and view and likes or whatever.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No.  When asked about the current problems with the oline, he basically just said...I told you guys the oline was important when y'all wanted wideouts.

That's dumb. It's about building a team overall. The team is not that good.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, everyone knew that but how does he explain the OL dropping off the face of the earth then? Gosh, you would think the media would have enough snappy people to ask questions in retort (without the Doyle jerk Ish attitudes of course).

It was just an art of deflection answer.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh and my response to Irsay is that yea we wanted wrs and u still haven't delivered those as of yet.

10 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

One thing that you can't deny, as crappy as the Colts are, they are nothing if not interesting/chaotic.

Everyone can see, if the Colts don't learn how to block, they won't win another game.  I feel like most people are OK with firing Reich.  So then the question becomes, what do we need to add to the franchise that Reich didn't have.  I feel like Irsay felt like we were missing a certain amount of toughness and fire.  He pondered who does he know that could bring that in spades and decided it was Jeff Saturday.

No one believes that Jeff Saturday is an offensive mastermind, or an X and O's genius, but maybe just maybe he can have an influence on the staff and players that adds to our competiveness.  I think at the least, by the end of the season, we will know who we have, that are "all in" per Irsay.

This is a try at MOTIVATION and EVALUATION. Jeff was hired as an ANALYST for a reason and per the conference has been sought after by the COLTS before now. Things just didn't line up per Ballard.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's dumb. It's about building a team overall. The team is not that good.

He was just taking a shot back at the media when he interpreted the question as them taking a shot about his oline.   Kind of a flippant nonserious answer.

The presser was really about introducing Saturday....not about the state of the team, and Ballard seemed annoyed at those questions.  He was asked about three questions out of the 30 to 45 minute presser.

16 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Where does he start first.  The ol?   It’s going to be interesting to see his press conferences each week.  Can’t wait

O-line…why? Because Ballard said “you can’t win if you don’t block”. Why else? He has the most hands on experience there. 

8 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

It has been a waste of money them as has assembled poor team.

Not really.  This team is stacked with talent.  The defense and special teams are in the top half of the league. He also has some great talent on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately where we lack is the offensive line. Every GM in the league is trying to find offensive linemen. Other than QB, offensive linemen are the hardest to find. 

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Arrogant to some Confident to others. Arrogance is thinking you are better than others Ballard seems to own his mistakes and openly says so IMO.

If he does, then he probably knows he's got this team in trouble for a long time if Nelson can't play anymore, Raimann can't play, and they can't find a QB.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He was just taking a shot back at the media when he interpreted the question as them taking a shot about his oline. 

The presser was really about introducing Saturday....not about the state of the team, and Ballard seemed annoyed at those questions.

What did he expect? He’s been ducking and running while leaving Frank out to dry with the pressers. He deserves what was coming his way. Take it like a man and deal with the tough outcomes and questions. He’s just a wuss that talks tough on the outside, if all he’s doing is dodging things.

Archived