Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sammy Longhorns

IrsaysArmy

I’m not going to lie to you guys. I’m excited about Ehlinger. He looks poised. He has great pocket presence. He can throw on the run. He can pick up a big first down with his legs. he’s accurate. He’s smart. 

i finally was able to see the Pittman drop. That was a big time throw in a big spot. 

It’s only one game but it seems like he does have the “IT” factor. 

hook em’

8 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I’m not going to lie to you guys. I’m excited about Ehlinger. He looks poised. He has great pocket presence. He can throw on the run. He can pick up a big first down with his legs. he’s accurate. He’s smart. 

i finally was able to see the Pittman drop. That was a big time throw in a big spot. 

hook em’

I liked several things from Sam today.

But I also know WA is a bottom 5 pass D. Good DL, but their DBs allow almost a 100 pass rating. And tied for 2nd worst INT totals. 

NE will be a real test next week. NE's pass D is top 10. IIRC, he's #1 in INTs.. And 20+ lower PR allowed. 

If he does well (passing) next week, huge positive step. 

49 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

hook em’

Pierce would have caught that

Honestly I think Sam did a great job. He has to be aware of the sticks for sure.  I think Frank held him back a couple timed though.   Hopefully he atleast told Frank let him sneak it once at the inch line.  If not then the kid needs more trust in himself..  

He looked pretty good for a first start.  We are going to learn a lot about him going up against the hoody and the evil empire next week and the next few week after that as teams get tape on him.  Overall the offense looked like it did under Ryan except for Sam’s ability to move around which is why the coaching staff made this move.  They have to stop shouting themselves in the foot though.  That’s happening rather it’s Ryan or Sam in there way too much.

There were some things that happened similar to Ryan but overall i didnt think it was identical bc we consistently moved the football which didnt happen under Matt Ryan. Sam extended plays and we made good use of the deep ball. I thought he delivered the ball to the right places much better than Matt did. We definitely should have scored more and were in position to do so. Gotta clean it up and be much safer with the football and sharper with the execution.

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

There were some things that happened similar to Ryan but overall i didnt think it was identical bc we consistently moved the football which didnt happen under Matt Ryan. Sam extended plays and we made good use of the deep ball. I thought he delivered the ball to the right places much better than Matt did. We definitely should have scored more and were in position to do so. Gotta clean it up and be much safer with the football and sharper with the execution.

The Colts had a league high amount of drives of 10 plays or more with Ryan.  They have been moving the ball all year but once they get inside of the 35 they make a key mistake rather it’s a big penalty, a costly sack, or a turnover that takes them out of scoring range.  They have been shooting themselves in the foot just like they did today with the two turnovers.  That’s been the Colts all year regardless of QB.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

One is the big things was Sam did not have many third and kings which was a big improvement over Ryan.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts had a league high amount of drives of 10 plays or more with Ryan.  They have been moving the ball all year but once they get inside of the 35 they make a key mistake rather it’s a big penalty, a costly sack, or a turnover that takes them out of scoring range.  They have been shooting themselves in the foot just like they did today with the two turnovers.  That’s been the Colts all year regardless of QB.

10 plays of 5 yards per pass isnt really going much of anywhere. I mean we didnt struggle to move the ball. The drives were not stressful to watch like watching Matt. We didnt struggle to get the yardage.

JB:  Just no

Rivers:  Great mind, great accuracy.  No mobility.  Arm was getting weak for the long ball.

Wentz:  Great arm talent.  Seemed to take care of the ball. That's about it.

Ryan:  Shot

Sam Ehlinger:  The QB with the most package of skills.  Best Colts QB since Luck.  Just watch.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

10 plays of 5 yards per pass isnt really going much of anywhere. I mean we didnt struggle to move the ball. The drives were not stressful to watch like watching Matt. We didnt struggle to get the yardage.

They didn’t struggle to get yardage with Matt, he was top five in the league in passing yardage.  They just had the same problem with the had with Sam, a costly mistake around the 30 yard line.  

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I feel even better after watching that again than I did last night. Obviously a small sample but I think Sam is going to be just fine. If that was Trevor Lawrence’s first game ESPN would still be talking about how efficient he was and how good his awareness is.

23 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I feel even better after watching that again than I did last night. Obviously a small sample but I think Sam is going to be just fine. If that was Trevor Lawrence’s first game ESPN would still be talking about how efficient he was and how good his awareness is.

Awareness and accurate passes.  That's about 75% of QBing, IMO.  The strong arm long ball stuff is needed, but that is far less important than the other two.

Was quite excited before the game for a change, and although left gutted with the result, I’m definitely excited by what we may have in Sam. He looked composed in the pocket and made some good throws under pressure. A thoroughly impressive first game in my opinion. The main thing probably holding him back moving forward may well be Reichs play calling.

7 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Reich & the OLINE kills the team. Run, run, pass puts a TON of pressure of the passing offense. 

It’s typically 3rd & 4 to 3rd & 10 when we are throwing the football. Odds are dramatically lower for our team to convert vs 3rd & short. 

There was a stat on Sunday that before the game the Colts passed on something like 65% of their plays.  You don’t hit that number if you are only throwing on third down.  

So far so good.  I enjoy watching this offense with him running it which at this moment in time is enough to feel good about him.  But he has to win games.  He has to have the awareness to get that extra half yard.  These are the mistakes you get with a young signal caller but there is a very small window to make the jump.  He needs to win a lot if he wants this job.  And that game he just lost was in his grasp.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, IrsaysArmy said:

hook em’

For his first game going through his progressions was a great sign, Also the pass that Pittman dropped in the last minute was a big time NFL throw under pressure. After one game there is a lot to like.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:17 PM, EastStreet said:

I liked several things from Sam today.

But I also know WA is a bottom 5 pass D. Good DL, but their DBs allow almost a 100 pass rating. And tied for 2nd worst INT totals. 

NE will be a real test next week. NE's pass D is top 10. IIRC, he's #1 in INTs.. And 20+ lower PR allowed. 

If he does well (passing) next week, huge positive step. 

Honestly I’m hoping Sam Ehlinger can look like a 2015 Alex Smith by the end of the season, give this team some hope in a QB and not be forced to draft someone this year. Then bring in a new offensive minded head coach. This is  Mostly because I don’t like the QBs in this draft outside Stroud and the following draft looks a lot stronger at that position. Which hopefully Sam can become like a 2017 Alex Smith at his ceiling. 

Edit: I know this will be a very hated take lol

On 10/31/2022 at 10:10 AM, GoColts8818 said:

They didn’t struggle to get yardage with Matt, he was top five in the league in passing yardage.  They just had the same problem with the had with Sam, a costly mistake around the 30 yard line.  

Pretty much this. Almost every single game Colts would be driving then dumb turnover, penalty, sack, etc. This team only no showed in Jacksonville, without 2 starting WRs and Taylor if I remember right, but has been in every other game. Just dumb mistakes have cost them.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

So we are going to make excuses for Sam got it.

Not really. Not saying we should be happy about it, just saying give him a chance. He also had 74% completion and a QBR of 100. Overall he had a good first game as a Colt, which is a lot more than what could be said for Ryan. 

Archived