Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Cloud of Andrew Luck

RollerColt

I was driving home from work, listening to Rich Eisen interview Zak Keefer, and a question struck me.

Time for stupid speculation. I'm putting on my radio sports jock hat on for this one: 

2019. Training Camp. Andrew retires in sudden, shocking fashion leaving Irsay, Ballard, Reich with more questions than answers. The QB carousel that we all know begins and spins and spins... 

What if? What if the specter of Andrew Luck has hung over this franchise like a cloud? What if the entire reason for us spinning round and round with quick temporary fix QBs from Brissett to Rivers to Wentz to Ryan was because Jim Irsay felt Andrew Luck may someday return to the franchise

It's been well known for years Irsay was in contact with Andrew. It's come from Irsay himself that he's left the door open if Andrew were to ever decide to return. Have we been going from placeholder to placeholder because we've been waiting and hoping for our star QB to return? Is that perhaps one of the reasons we haven't traded away the future to move up in drafts, because we felt we might need those picks? 

FULL DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying Andrew Luck strung the Colts along with false hope. It's been very clear since the beginning he was never coming back. 

These are just stupid musings by someone with two kids, a dog and absolutely no sleep. I am most certainly dead wrong with this stuff. I'm just saying... What if?

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was driving home from work, listening to Rich Eisen interview Zak Keefer, and a question struck me.

Time for stupid speculation. I'm putting on my radio sports jock hat on for this one: 

2019. Training Camp. Andrew retires in sudden, shocking fashion leaving Irsay, Ballard, Reich with more questions than answers. The QB carousel that we all know begins and spins and spins... 

What if? What if the specter of Andrew Luck has hung over this franchise like a cloud? What if the entire reason for us spinning round and round with quick temporary fix QBs from Brissett to Rivers to Wentz to Ryan was because Jim Irsay felt Andrew Luck may someday return to the franchise

It's been well known for years Irsay was in contact with Andrew. It's come from Irsay himself that he's left the door open if Andrew were to ever decide to return. Have we been going from placeholder to placeholder because we've been waiting and hoping for our star QB to return? Is that perhaps one of the reasons we haven't traded away the future to move up in drafts, because we felt we might need those picks? 

FULL DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying Andrew Luck strung the Colts along with false hope. It's been very clear since the beginning he was never coming back. 

These are just stupid musings by someone with two kids, a dog and absolutely no sleep. I am most certainly dead wrong with this stuff. I'm just saying... What if?

I think it was plausible when they had Brissett. Once they signed Rivers, it was clear they were moving on

Yes, the bits and pieces are there to feed the conspiracy theorist in all of us.  Luck retires.  Irsay tells him to keep the money.  We never draft a franchise quarterback.  And why?  Because we believe, or at least hope, that Luck would decide to come back?

Well...  I would have a few questions.

Does that mean that in 2021, two whole years after Luck called it quits, we gave away a 1st round choice to pick up Wentz, while still keeping an eye on the door, just in case Luck walks back through it?  Or in 2022, three years after, we still have the candle lit for Luck?  You know, just in case?  That we would put the whole future of the team on hold, intentionally doing nothing, just treading water, hoping that Luck would show up?

I'm gonna say, nawwwww, I kinda doubt it.

In 2019, Luck retires so late, that we couldn't do anything but play Brissett.  And if Brissett is gonna start, we have to give him starter money.  But after playing most of the year, we could see that he wasn't going to be the long term solution.

In 2020, when we might have been in reach of trading up to get Herbert, instead we trade our pick for Buckner (remember, Ballard said that the 3-technique DT is what makes Eberflus' defense go), and acquire Rivers with a 1-year prove-it deal.  He did prove it.  And took us to the playoffs.  Looked like the gamble paid off.  And we'd even drafted Eason as insurance.  But then it fell apart.

In 2021, Rivers decided not to sign a new contract, instead opting to move on with his life, and coach his son's football team.  That's when we had to get serious.  So we did.  We went with Reich's wishes, and traded a 1st round pick for Wentz.  Hoping that he would be the long-term answer.  And, wow, did that blow up in our face!

So, in 2022, without a 1st round pick to use, and with not true free agent options, we crossed our fingers and brought in Matt Ryan.  Well, poo.

I would say that the choice to go after Wentz, just by itself, is reason enough to believe that, no, they weren't looking for Luck to return.  They really truly were trying to make it work.

Still makes for a good story, though!

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

My two cents, but I don't think this is off base at all.  I do agree that there has been some unrealsitic hope by Irsay that Andrew Luck would return to this team and it has affected how decisions were made regarding the roster building, QB position and draft investment in it in the 2019 and 2020 seasons.  

I think Wentz was the first move made that signified turning the page, but that player clearly did not meet Irsay's expectations and he was shipped out. 

The bigger issue I think we should be apprehensive about is why Irsay is driving major football roster decisions.  Jim Irsay the GM didn't exactly build a juggernaut here between 1984-1993 having two winning seasons and making the playoffs once. 

IMO, in a well run organization, this stuff should be pretty much left to the GM, coach that were hired for their supposedly for their expertise,  If you can't count on their vision, plan or don't value it, then why are they in their positions? 

11 minutes ago, SR711 said:

My two cents, but I don't think this is off base at all.  I do agree that there has been some unrealsitic hope by Irsay that Andrew Luck would return to this team and it has affected how decisions were made regarding the roster building, QB position and draft investment in it in the 2019 and 2020 seasons.  

I think Wentz was the first move made that signified turning the page, but that player clearly did not meet Irsay's expectations and he was shipped out. 

The bigger issue I think we should be apprehensive about is why Irsay is driving major football roster decisions.  Jim Irsay the GM didn't exactly build a juggernaut here between 1984-1993 having two winning seasons and making the playoffs once. 

IMO, in a well run organization, this stuff should be pretty much left to the GM, coach that were hired for their supposedly for their expertise,  If you can't count on their vision, plan or don't value it, then why are they in their positions? 

It was a bad post. Wasn’t thinking clearly when I wrote it. I think the first two seasons of 19-20 perhaps it was a thing, but it definitely hasn’t been the case since then.

I do think Philip Rivers having a successful 11-5 season gave the front office false hope that the roster was better than what it was in reality. He emboldened them to think they could plug in any QB familiar with Reich and the system would “just work”.

image.jpeg.8549bcd2df7512cbe224b57ff1bf2e57.jpeg

it’s over that dude isn’t coming back.  Look at how small he is.  He’s moved on and he’s happy with life away from football.  

This franchise has moved on too.  Wentz wasn’t brought in to be a one and done.  He was brought in to be the guy and it didn’t work.  Ryan was brought here to buy them two years to find the next guy.  It didn’t work.  The Colts have moved on and are trying to find the QB of the future just like any team in the league that doesn’t have one.  It’s also really hard and something that can set your team back even further if you get it wrong than they are now.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

image.jpeg.8549bcd2df7512cbe224b57ff1bf2e57.jpeg

it’s over that dude isn’t coming back.  Look at how small he is.  He’s moved on and he’s happy with life away from football.  

This franchise has moved on too.  Wentz wasn’t brought in to be a one and done.  He was brought in to be the guy and it didn’t work.  Ryan was brought here to buy them two years to find the next guy.  It didn’t work.  The Colts have moved on and are trying to find the QB of the future just like any team in the league that doesn’t have one.  It’s also really hard and something that can set your team back even further if you get it wrong than they are now.

Yes. He isn’t coming back and why should he? I’m happy for him and also jealous. I wish I could spend more time with my young kiddos, especially with one in kindergarten and another quickly approaching. He’s living the dad life and that’s awesome.

Just now, RollerColt said:

Yes. He isn’t coming back and why should he? I’m happy for him and also jealous. I wish I could spend more time with my young kiddos, especially with one in kindergarten and another quickly approaching. He’s living the dad life and that’s awesome.

Yep I don’t blame anyone for being jealous of that.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It was a bad post. Wasn’t thinking clearly when I wrote it. I think the first two seasons of 19-20 perhaps it was a thing, but it definitely hasn’t been the case since then.

I do think Philip Rivers having a successful 11-5 season gave the front office false hope that the roster was better than what it was in reality. He emboldened them to think they could plug in any QB familiar with Reich and the system would “just work”.

Is there such a thing as a bad post?  This forum is so we can talk about Colts football, and judging by the number or responses, you lit a fire.  

Well, re-lit the same fire that’s been going for four years.

Just now, Smonroe said:

Is there such a thing as a bad post?  This forum is so we can talk about Colts football, and judging by the number or responses, you lit a fire.  

Well, re-lit the same fire that’s been going for four years.

Thanks my friend, I needed that.

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

As far as I know, the Colts have been consistent and unanimous.   Both Irsay and Ballard have repeatedly said Luck is not coming back.

My memory isn’t as sharp as it once was,  but I have no recollection of either hinting it might happen.   And both say they talk to Luck all the time, especially Ballard.  

Id love to be wrong, but I don’t think there’s any there there. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As far as I know, the Colts have been consistent and unanimous.   Both Irsay and Ballard have repeatedly said Luck is not coming back.

My memory isn’t as sharp as it once was,  but I have no recollection if either hinting it might happen.   And both say they talk to Luck all the time, especially Ballard.  

No, I don’t think anyone in the organization has ever outright said Luck *might* come back. There were a few times Jim said the door was open and he’d receive Andrew if he ever reconsidered…But it’s been said many times he’s not coming back. And I don’t blame him.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:45 PM, RollerColt said:

I really am! It’s a ridiculous thought. I know.

Yeah, but what an image - Irsay sitting by a window with the moonlight streaming in, guitar by his side, and his cell phone in hand...desperately hoping to see "Andrew" pop up on the phone screen as his "Desperado" ringtone softly chimes...

:grumpy2:

55 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Yeah, but what an image - Irsay sitting by a window with the moonlight streaming in, guitar by his side, and his cell phone in hand...desperately hoping to see "Andrew" pop up on the phone screen as his "Desperado" ringtone softly chimes...

:grumpy2:

My personal life has been in a bit of shambles the past month, and I've been getting very few hours of sleep lately. I DEEPLY regret posting it, but I do own up that I did in fact have this stupid thought earlier this week... 

On 10/26/2022 at 6:40 PM, Rhodelesstraveled said:

He retired because the OL stunk and that should have been the original wake up call and now we crap QBs you are clearly seeing that LUCK was wise to quit.  

his body was being torn apart , he missed the entire 2017 season because of injuries. his throwing shoulder has a torn labrum , he had a torn kidney, ballard could not fix the o-line . 

On 10/26/2022 at 10:23 PM, NewColtsFan said:

My memory isn’t as sharp as it once was,  but I have no recollection of either hinting it might happen.   And both say they talk to Luck all the time, especially Ballard.  

Luck still lives in the Indianapolis area as far as I know.  I am sure that Irsay stays in contact with Luck but I doubt Jimmy harps on him about returning.  

You know when I read about how bad the Colts were at protecting Luck it a only tells a certain narrative about the Colts.

Luck played a huge part in him getting injured. He never protecting himself and ran and played like he was a linebacker. He also had a serious injury from a snowboarding accident that was mostly covered up.  

How can a team protect someone who won't protect themselves?

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck still lives in the Indianapolis area as far as I know.  I am sure that Irsay stays in contact with Luck but I doubt Jimmy harps on him about returning.  

Yes, Luck still lives in Indianapolis.   In fact, he has sold his downtown condo and he bought a place about a mile from the team facility.   So in some way, he is still connected to the team. 

6 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

his body was being torn apart , he missed the entire 2017 season because of injuries. his throwing shoulder has a torn labrum , he had a torn kidney, ballard could not fix the o-line . 

And let's not forget about his inability to slide, or run out of bounds, or...      snowboarding...

Archived