Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 KC at Colts Post Game Thoughts (G3)

EastStreet

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don’t think Chiefs fans have a valid gripe on the unsportsmanlike call against Jones.  Taunting right in front of an official is just stupid.

But I do think they have a valid gripe on the no-call facemask on Mahomes.  That was an obvious facemask.  Should’ve been off-setting penalties.

It’s difficult to call the facemask with Mahomes having a hold of Speed’s facemask too. 

That said there were several bad game-changing calls by the refs:

-  2 pt. convertion that wasn’t

-  Moore’s DPI non-call

-  Possibly Mahomes facemask. 

3 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Big dirty win but it's the right direction.  Not many people gave us a chance,  including me. Good coaching for the most part, the game plan slowed Mahommes down. 

We still have serious problems on the offensive line.  I thought the pressure from the DL was much, much better today.  Coverage was really good.

Our defense won this game today.  The offense came up big on that last drive - thanks in no small part to Jones’ penalty.  But, still, they got it in when they had to.

Offense still has a long way to go.

Just now, Solid84 said:

It’s difficult to call the facemask with Mahomes having a hold of Speed’s facemask too. 

That said there were several bad game-changing calls by the refs:

-  2 pt. convertion that wasn’t

Whatever Mahomes was doing doesn’t negate Speed’s penalty.  If Mahomes was guilty of a facemask himself, then they should call it.  It still would’ve been off-setting.

Anyway, I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer.  But Speed definitely got away with one.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Week 1 - Lose to bottom 5 team...

Week 2 - Lose to bottom 5 team...

Week 3 - Win vs top 5 team, despite our offense... 

3eea50702fcd911cd18a629c6e7f8c4b.gif

and big thank you...

giphy.gif

I said in another thread if we beat the Chiefs it would just mean more questions about the first two game. I stand by that. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I hope Frank realizes what he has in Woods in the redzone and continue to use it 

No kidding.  I was griping about that in the first 2 games.  You’ve got a couple huge TEs.  What’s the point of having an advantage if you don’t use it?

Woods showed some solid hands, too - especially on the 2nd score.

The OL still very much sucked, in both run blocking and pass blocking today.

Ryan has proven he's clutch in the first and third games of the season. If the protection improves, he should look better and better.

Jelani Woods is a problem in the endzone. It's obvious he's just figuring stuff out, but he already scored two TDs.

I still don't like our LBs, but they did a lot better in the second half.

The DL put a good amount of pressure on Mahommes and didn't give him too many chances to make a crazy play.  Still very good at run D.

ST is the best group on the team. You could argue that was the case last year as well. If Frank does get fired before the end of the season, Bubba should get the shot at the interim head coach. 

Frank's play calling was still pretty bad, especially with run plays. Seems like the Jags and Chiefs did mostly the same thing of running a lot of run blitzes. Since the OL can't pick those up, JT didn't have a chance to even get back to the line of scrimmage most of the time. It's getting too predictable and the Colts have to be able to punish teams that abuse that.

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I hope Frank realizes what he has in Woods in the redzone and continue to use it 

He put woods in situation where he could succeed. Play tees not plays. Pierce is also going to be a good one. 

Seeing Reich in the locker room just now in tv he was as fired up as I have ever seen him.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don’t think Chiefs fans have a valid gripe on the unsportsmanlike call against Jones.  Taunting right in front of an official is just stupid.

But I do think they have a valid gripe on the no-call facemask on Mahomes.  That was an obvious facemask.  Should’ve been off-setting penalties.

He talked trash when he sacked him. He then continued talking trash while Ryan got up and was walking away right call.

4 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Our offense stinks bad though guys. Needs to be worked out asap 

I agree.  Happy as can be about the win.  D was just terrific.  But our offense is just as much of a problem now as it was yesterday.  They have got to get that line figured out.  It’s just really bad.

And I’m not sure we have somebody on the roster who is capable of being a starting LT in the NFL right now.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He put woods in situation where he could succeed. Play tees not plays. Pierce is also going to be a good one. 

Seeing Reich in the locker room just now in tv he was as fired up as I have ever seen him.

Fired up because this win probably just saved his job LOL :) 

This was not a win. This was a really good Chiefs team beating themselves.

I posted this in another thread yesterday that we need to stop relying on good teams screwing up, so we get wins, and here we are again. Nailed it!!

14 points off Chiefs mistakes. Muff punt and Jones penalty. 

Again, through 3 weeks this team should have realistically only scored 9 points. That's it. Thanks to the Texans prevent D and the Chiefs mistakes we have now scored a meager 13 pts a game average.

I don't care if I get bashed here.

Unless this current team starts getting lambasted, nothing will change in Indianapolis. Year after year of terrible football, and possibly win division in the worst division in football.

How does this help? 

Everybody should send the Chiefs a big thank you card :sarcasm:

#notimpressed

14 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

LFG! Great win by special teams and the D. They were disciplined as heck off the edges today and you love to see it. Jelani looking like a stud. Big big man making big big plays. Nice hands today from him. Good game from Pierce too, hope he gets over the dropsies. He gets open. 

Matt Ryan and Ryan Kelly and the rest of the OL need to get their crap figured out ASAP. This line has gone DOWNHILL since Dave DeGuglielmo was fired. It's looked so terrible in both pass and run. JT also made some really poor decisions too. I hope he snaps out of it. 

This lines best year was the one after De-jiggalo was it not?

Credit where credit is do.  The Colts dominated this game.  They had two bad mistakes by Ryan that lead to easy KC TDs other wise the defense held KC to three points.  

This is why I said they weren’t going to fire Frank after the Jags game it was just too soon.  The Colts are now a Jags loss away from being in 1st place in the division.  

You can’t say enough good things about the defense and special teams this week.  I know everyone said nothing went right last week but one of the few bright spots I saw was the special teams unit which is often overlooked but make no mistake they were difference in the game today.  

The Colts front four finally showed up on defense.  Paye just keeps getting better.  Dayo was making some nice plays.  I am not his biggest fan but Yannick lived in KC’s backfield.  Buckner might not show up in the box score but he was drawing triple teams to free the others up.  Ironically the only quiet one today was Grover who has been a one man wrecking crew through two weeks.

The secondary played lights out.  Moore played much better.  The young safeties played well.  I think the Colts have something in both rookie safeties.  Then the vet sealed it with the pick.  Also Gilmore showed why the Colts went out and got him.  Also Rodgers played on defense and played well.

Franklin keeps playing well in place of Leonard.  Bobby O is getting better.  He had some issues but also made some big plays (he is the one who sniffed out that fake field goal).

Frank had some odd calls and he’s going too.  Still his coaches, especially on special teams and defense, had a heck of a game plan.  Gus rebounded in a big way from last week.  Bubba might be the best coach on this team.  

Offense is still a work in progress.  I think Romo did a good job highlighting some of the Colts issues.  Ryan is just not comfortable yet and it’s impacting everything.  Still he did the little things that Wentz didn’t which is why they got him.  Ryan has to clean up the fumbles.  That’s killing them but aside from that he stayed calm and didn’t make the back breaking turnover and just keep chugging away.  Someone questioned Ryan not talking to guys last week but after every drive he was there talking to the guys keeping them in the game.  Then at the end of the game he came out and lead an 8 minute game winning drive and looked to finally be starting to click in this offense.

The line is having the communication issues that Romo was talking about but still too much free rushers.  Then at the end of the game they held up on some key plays.  Pinter is the weak point though and teams have figured it out.  Once Raimann is healthy I’d try someone else at right guard, maybe Pryor, and out Raimann at LT.

The rookies!  Woods, Alec, and Thomas all played huge roles today.

Credit where credit is due today.  Granson had a handful of plays today on offense and special teams and he did well on all of them.  He’s been a forum whipping boy so I hope people give him credit for his performance this week.

Most of all this game gives you hope.  I questioned this teams heart after last week and they showed a lot of it today.  Still a lot to clean up and it was ugly but winning ugly is sure a lot better than losing ugly like last week or tying ugly like week one.  

Archived