Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Love Frank Reich But...

Mackrel829

I think his seat should be hot this year.

I think Reich is a top 10-15 coach in the league, I like his general football philosophies, and I think the players respect him, but I think it's possible that the team has reached its peak under his leadership. If that's the case, the peak is good, but we all know that good simply isn't good enough.

I think this year will be very telling in terms of his impact on winning, especially with regards to his playcalling. Matt Ryan may not be a league MVP any more, but he'll get the ball where it needs to be and he'll get it there on time. The O-Line may not look as good on paper as it did two years ago but it should still be a top 5-10 line in the league. We all know what JT can do, and the defence looks like it could be a great unit. This is a solid roster and a solid team from top to bottom.

The one weakness of this team, I would argue, is the receiving corps. The most important job of any offensive playcaller is to put your playmakers in a position to succeed. If this team is going to do anything meaningful this year, it will be because Frank Reich has managed to find ways to scheme guys like Pittman and Campbell open, and to elevate young guys like Pierce and the TEs. Most importantly, he'll need to call the right plays at the right time, especially in the big koments. If the season is a failure, it will be because Reich failed to do that, and I think we will have gone as far as we can with him.

As I said, I love Reich, and I really hope that he is able to do something special this season,  but I do think it is a make or break year for him.

3 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Maybe next year , but with the QB carousal i highly doubt hes in the hot seat unless the Colts start 0-2. 

It all depends how the season goes I think. I think both Reich and Ballard have done incredibly well to navigate the QB carousel but I think Ryan is the best QB we've had since Luck. He's a professional in every sense of the word and a good offensive playcaller should be able to take advantage of his skills and experience whether it's his first year in the system or not. Ryan has been in the league a long time and has played at a high level for much of it. I doubt there's too much he hasn't seen before.

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I think Reich is a top 10-15 coach in the league, I like his general football philosophies, and I think the players respect him, but I think it's possible that the team has reached its peak under his leadership. If that's the case, the peak is good, but we all know that good simply isn't good enough.

I think this year will be very telling in terms of his impact on winning, especially with regards to his playcalling. Matt Ryan may not be a league MVP any more, but he'll get the ball where it needs to be and he'll get it there on time. The O-Line may not look as good on paper as it did two years ago but it should still be a top 5-10 line in the league. We all know what JT can do, and the defence looks like it could be a great unit. This is a solid roster and a solid team from top to bottom.

The one weakness of this team, I would argue, is the receiving corps. The most important job of any offensive playcaller is to put your playmakers in a position to succeed. If this team is going to do anything meaningful this year, it will be because Frank Reich has managed to find ways to scheme guys like Pittman and Campbell open, and to elevate young guys like Pierce and the TEs. Most importantly, he'll need to call the right plays at the right time, especially in the big koments. If the season is a failure, it will be because Reich failed to do that, and I think we will have gone as far as we can with him.

As I said, I love Reich, and I really hope that he is able to do something special this season,  but I do think it is a make or break year for him.

What was the point of this post?  

You wrote it roughly around the 2nd quarter or halftime of PS game 1.    Why?

Why didn’t you write it yesterday?   Or tomorrow?     Or September 1st when the pre-season is over?    What?   Was?   The?   Point?    

Inquiring minds would like to know?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why didn’t you write it yesterday?   Or tomorrow?     Or September 1st when the pre-season is over?    What?   Was?   The?   Point?    

I doubt the game had much to do with it. Probably just coincidence it was posted then.    I’m kind of thinking the same thing.  Never been much of a Reich fan but also can’t argue he has had a rough go with all the different QBs. I do think his seat is warmer than some want to think.  It’s playoffs or bust or him, and yes that includes injuries. However, I think they win the division and at least a playoff game securing his job for the next QB to be chosen in the draft.  So what do I know lol?

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

This preseason game mirrored the Reich-like game-calling we've come to expect.  If this doesn't change, I agree.  Ballard will not be allowed to walk though, he's too good.

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I doubt the game had much to do with it. Probably just coincidence it was posted then.    I’m kind of thinking the same thing.  Never been much of a Reich fan but also can’t argue he has had a rough go with all the different QBs. I do think his seat is warmer than some want to think.  It’s playoffs or bust or him, and yes that includes injuries. However, I think they win the division and at least a playoff game securing his job for the next QB to be chosen in the draft.  So what do I know lol?

Honestly….  I think unless things really fall apart this year and Frank is judged to be the problem, then I think Reich is safe as long as Matt Ryan is our quarterback. 

*** I don’t think we want to have Ryan learning a new offense next year. 

*** I don’t think we want a whole new offensive coaching staff than an offensive minded HC would want to bring in. 

*** And I don’t think we’d want a new HC who might want to bring his own DC with him.  

Way too much possible disruption.  I don’t think Ballard or Irsay would want any part of that.    The season would have to be a disaster for that to happen. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly….  I think unless things really fall apart this year and Frank is judged to be the problem, then I think Reich is safe as long as Matt Ryan is our quarterback. 

*** I don’t think we want a whole new offensive coaching staff than an offensive minded HC would want to bring in. 

*** And I don’t think we’d want a new HC who might want to bring his own DC with him.  

Way too much possible disruption.  I don’t think Ballard or Irsay would want any part of that.    The season would have to be a disaster for that to happen. 

rather not get in too playoffs and lose first round  , call that a good coach are team  ? 

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

funny thing  is frank going too run out  of  old vet qb,s  then he going lose really bad. they just got lucky matt was on the market. . as we would say  luck going too run out . 

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I did write something like this.  Sometime during the middle of the offseason.

I do believe that their seats should be hot.  It's time to win.  Now.

They've been given better players at important positions, and the Titans have faltered some.

Anything less than a division championship and a playoff win isn't really cutting it.

Not this year.

And, barring a hailstorm of injuries, if they wind up with only 6 or 7 wins, they deserve to lose their jobs.

Now, I don't expect that to happen.  Reich is too good a coach for that.

But if it did happen.  Yeah, I would agree.

Still predicting 11 wins and a division championship.  (crossing fingers)

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I did write something like this.  Sometime during the middle of the offseason.

I do believe that their seats should be hot.  It's time to win.  Now.

They've been given better players at important positions, and the Titans have faltered some.

Anything less than a division championship and a playoff win isn't really cutting it.

Not this year.

And, barring a hailstorm of injuries, if they wind up with only 6 or 7 wins, they deserve to lose their jobs.

Now, I don't expect that to happen.  Reich is too good a coach for that.

But if it did happen.  Yeah, I would agree.

Still predicting 11 wins and a division championship.  (crossing fingers)

6 or 7 wins would be a disaster.   And if there wasn’t a good explanation for that, then I’d expect Frank to be fired as well.   I just don’t see that happening… 

I’m still predicting 11 wins and a division title as well.      :thmup:

52 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If this team fails to make the playoffs again this season then Reich should be fired in my opinion. Time to get it done. Either he is the coach to get us where we want to go or he is not. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

6 or 7 wins would be a disaster.   And if there wasn’t a good explanation for that, then I’d expect Frank to be fired as well.   I just don’t see that happening… 

you have no elite  wr,s  can,t win a sb  with 2 stringers. have matt ice yes. has no elite wr.

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If this team fails to make the playoffs again this season then Reich should be fired in my opinion. Time to get it done. Either he is the coach to get us where we want to go or he is not. 

even brady had 2 elite wr,s in tampa bay when they won the sb. next year had 1 elite wr.s  .    colts zero elite wr,s 

3 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I want to be clear about this….

Im not trying to tell anyone what to write.   I’m only trying to find out why this post was written when it was.   What was the motivation for the rant that came by roughly halftime of the first pre-season game?   Why then?    Made no sense to me so I’m looking for context.    That’s all.   Otherwise, carry on….. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think we want to do any of that either.  However, I believe missing the playoffs with this team is going to be considered falling apart enough they make the change. Ideally you would like Reich to have a 2-3 year run with Ryan but if a new regime was brought in he would be the perfect bridge QB. Of course all hypotheticals I don’t believe will happen. This team is too good to miss the playoffs again. 

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

I don't think he can afford to start slow.  If that happens there's no telling what Irsay might do.

I doubt Reich gets fired even if we start 0-2. It would have to be a complete season collapse. 

The questions at LT and WR are on Ballard, not Reich.

Also getting a new HC would waste the acquisition of Ryan. I think both Reich and Ballard have at least this year and next year to get this going. If they haven’t in the next couple of years I could see Irsay moving on from them and starting over. Nothing worse than getting stuck in mediocracy. 

I kind of just want to see the Colts get through the preseason with our starters intact without injuries. 

As for the doubting Reich that we have seen the last 2 or 3 seasons, it's kind of a dead horse at this point. For me he showed growth last year, and an ability to change his methods which shows me someone who isn't hard headed and will learn. 

They are having less practice time in an effort to curb injuries which SEEMS to be working from an observational stand point. If that means more preseason play time I'm all for it. 

You also have to wonder how many QBs that we have had start, are smart enough to run Reichs entire play book without a training camp to boot (rivers injured, Wentz injured, brissett not taking starter reps). These things matter. 

Colts fans lust for blood is sometimes just unreasonable and short sighted. 

Are we really not going to get a break from the fire Reich threads from game 19 to preseason game 1? God. Let's just watch some ball. 

2 hours ago, Indy87 said:

I kind of just want to see the Colts get through the preseason with our starters intact without injuries. 

As for the doubting Reich that we have seen the last 2 or 3 seasons, it's kind of a dead horse at this point. For me he showed growth last year, and an ability to change his methods which shows me someone who isn't hard headed and will learn. 

They are having less practice time in an effort to curb injuries which SEEMS to be working from an observational stand point. If that means more preseason play time I'm all for it. 

You also have to wonder how many QBs that we have had start, are smart enough to run Reichs entire play book without a training camp to boot (rivers injured, Wentz injured, brissett not taking starter reps). These things matter. 

Colts fans lust for blood is sometimes just unreasonable and short sighted. 

Are we really not going to get a break from the fire Reich threads from game 19 to preseason game 1? God. Let's just watch some ball. 

I agree. I’m not at or even close to the fire Reich point. I do worry about the OL regression but hopefully they can get that fixed

15 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I think we'll a new coach and GM in 2023. 

I think it's more likely that Ballard would stay. As another poster pointed out, however, the lack of talent in the WR room is obviously very much down to Ballard. I think he's built a great roster though. Like I said, a good offensive playcaller could be successful with this group so I think it'd be more on Reich than on Ballard.

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

Bashing threads before the first regular season game :facepalm:

There's no bashing here. I'm very optimistic ahead of the season but I think it's now a reasonable time to expect certain things and to hold people accountable those expectations are not met. I'm just saying that I think we've crossed the threshold for people's seats to start to heat up.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The point of the post was to share my opinion that this season should probably be a pivotal one for Frank Reich. I thought that was pretty clear.

With regards to the timing, I don't post very much at all during the off-season. The thoughts popped into my head during the first quarter and I posted them. The two super vanilla slant calls to Pitt and then Pierce on 3rd and 4th down had something to do with it. By no means am I saying that those calls mean that this season is going to be a failure, but calling the right play in big moments has been Reich's biggest weakness imo. Those calls weren't it. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I want to be clear about this….

Im not trying to tell anyone what to write.   I’m only trying to find out why this post was written when it was.   What was the motivation for the rant that came by roughly halftime of the first pre-season game?   Why then?    Made no sense to me so I’m looking for context.    That’s all.   Otherwise, carry on….. 

My post was also not a 'rant'. There was no complaining, no calling people out, no insults. Unless you think that Reich should have a lifetime appointment, you must also have a line in the sand in terms of when would be the right time to move on. I just said that I have mine, and this season could potentially be the point at which that line is crossed. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to post.

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We are witnessing this disaster.  

Mind you, I am not faulting your prediction because most had us winning 10-12 games this season.  

Reich should be fired.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

We are witnessing this disaster.  

Mind you, I am not faulting your prediction because most had us winning 10-12 games this season.  

Reich should be fired.

I’m already on the record with multiple posts that Reich is less than 50-50 to return next year.    Publicly, it looks like Irsay is going to back Frank and Chris 

Thats as of today.    I’m curious what happens this off-season.    

And I’m expecting more assistants to be fired this off-season.   Just cutting Marcus Brady doesn’t seem logical.   I think more changes on the O-staff are coming in January/Feb. 

Well Reich has had plenty of seasons to somehow fix the QB issue.  I will give Reich a pass on Wentz since he actually tried to get a Franchise QB.  But besides that they haven't even tried to get a QB to groom.  Im tired of seeing us get a old Vet at QB and expect us to compete.  We need to trade up or trade something or risk whatever picks etc...  But we have to get a QB and groom him into a franchise QB. Even if it doesn't work at least try show the fans something.  

2 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

Well Reich has had plenty of seasons to somehow fix the QB issue.  I will give Reich a pass on Wentz since he actually tried to get a Franchise QB.  But besides that they haven't even tried to get a QB to groom.  Im tired of seeing us get a old Vet at QB and expect us to compete.  We need to trade up or trade something or risk whatever picks etc...  But we have to get a QB and groom him into a franchise QB. Even if it doesn't work at least try show the fans something.  

So Reich is in charge of scouting, drafting and signing the players? I understand if you want him gone over coaching decisions but over not fixing 4 different QBs over 4 years is delusional. 

Here's someone who is the first to take credit for Eagles SB offense when he didn't call the plays and now turns around and deflects blame for our poor output. Sure Brady was responsible for game plan but how do you not know if it was or wasn't a good one when Frankie boy makes horrible decisions on whi h and when plays are called. He is not head coach worthy 

Archived