Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alarming stat about our wrs

CurBeatElite

Saw this from Orvlosky yesterday. 

He calls Dulin #2wr.. even if we have Campbell at 2, he's only got 34 receptions over 3 years.. then if we talk Strachan or Patmon, they've got 2 career receptions each.

I like Ballard, but he is frustrating when it comes to WR. He says every offseason that we've got potential at the position and it never comes to fruition (Pittman was a pleasant surprise last year, though I think he's a 2 on 90% of other teams and a 3 on 15+% of other teams... but I'm talking Ballard acting like Pascal was a legit WR threat rather than a reliable #4 quality wr, Patmon having 2 catches after being a healthy scratch his entire rookie year, etc.)... I really hope he finds a way to get Ryan a proven wr before the season (or adds something way better than a 6th round pick "with potential" in the draft).

This doesn't get better when you consider our TEs are far from proven playmakers in MAC and Granson.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

He calls Dulin #2wr.. even if we have Campbell at 2, he's only got 34 receptions over 3 years.. then if we talk Strachan or Patmon, they've got 2 career receptions each.

I like Ballard, but he is frustrating when it comes to WR. He says every offseason that we've got potential at the position and it never comes to fruition (Pittman was a pleasant surprise last year, though I think he's a 2 on 90% of other teams and a 3 on 15+% of other teams... but I'm talking Ballard acting like Pascal was a legit WR threat rather than a reliable #4 quality wr, Patmon having 2 catches after being a healthy scratch his entire rookie year, etc.)... I really hope he finds a way to get Ryan a proven wr before the season (or adds something way better than a 6th round pick "with potential" in the draft).

This doesn't get better when you consider our TEs are far from proven playmakers in MAC and Granson.

Oh nevermind all that running we did last year. Or all the different QBs weve had. Or the fact that they are all young. Or in Campbells case injured.  TY himself didnt even prosper the past couple years so..... Theres more to this than the WRs themselves. If Rivers was our QB the past couple years the numbers would differ

Honestly after taking a real deep dive into the WR we aren’t as bad off as people think. There is Pitman who is our clear number 1 , Parris who will be the stretch receiver and we also have Keke Coutee whom some people are forgetting about. The kid can outright ball. He’s killed the Colts on several occasions. I also think we draft a WR with our first pick, not to exclude Patmon, Dulin and Stratchan. We will be ok I think those guys get it done. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make a Vet min play for a guy like Will Fuller, Dede Westbrook or Keelan Cole.

7 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Honestly after taking a real deep dive into the WR we aren’t as bad off as people think. There is Pitman who is our clear number 2 , Parris who will be the stretch receiver and we also have Keke Coutee whom some people are forgetting about. The kid can outright ball. He’s killed the Colts on several occasions. I also think we draft a WR with our first pick, not to exclude Patmon, Dulin and Stratchan. We will be ok I think those guys get it done. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make a Vet min play for a guy like Will Fuller, Dede Westbrook or Keelan Cole.

Or a vet like TY, on a performance laden deal.  Besides the play where Carson overthrew him, there were many others where he was open. But Carson would force it to a triple covered MPJ.  

If TY comes back and gets a little over 300 yards, the Colts would be the only team in the NFL with 3 10k yard receivers.  I think history matters to Irsay.  It’s up to TY to agree to a Colts friendly contract. 

How much was Wentz and playcalling a factor in these numbers though! If Wentz was a smarter and more accurate  thrower, then our wr numbers woulda been much better! Kupp was Staffords safety net also, andI guess you can say Pitt was Wentzs, or That we relied too much on JT since Reich stopped trusting Wentz! Our WR numbers this next year should be much better with Ryan! I do think we need 1 good WR addition, but I dont think we are as terrible as what everybody thinks depth wise! I am hopeful Strachen will make a big stride this season!

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The fact that Ballard never gave Ty a helping hand pretty much his whole time here in Indy aside from Reggie just goes to show his lackluster ability to address certain areas 

Reggie was here when Gregson was. Ballard  did attempt to address wr but obviously Campbell hasn't  worked out nor has Deon Cain funchess got hurt at start of season Pittman looks good but he needs help

This thread title is fraudulent!  I'm not alarmed by that statistic.  How many catches they've had in their career is irrelevant.  I agree that we have a need at WR, but it's really being overstated.  I personally believe that Dulin could be a good #2 this year, no matter how many passes he's caught in his career.  Given a chance towards the end of last year, I thought he played pretty well.  Give him more plays where he's the primary receiver, and he could be productive.  Just my opinion.  Adding a WR with more explosive qualities on Day 2 is expected, but this position isn't some kind of neglected super-weakness that many are billing it...

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Oh nevermind all that running we did last year. Or all the different QBs weve had. Or the fact that they are all young. Or in Campbells case injured.  TY himself didnt even prosper the past couple years so..... Theres more to this than the WRs themselves. If Rivers was our QB the past couple years the numbers would differ

Well, Rivers was our QB one of the last couple (2) years.  So you're losing me already. 

Second, Campbell's numbers would likely not change.  He's had huge portions of all 3 of his NFL seasons cut short due to injury. Not saying that is Ballard's fault, but he's done nothing to show he can stay healthy. As it sitsnow, he's likely our #2.  It'd be great if he proved us all wrong and balled out for 17 games and a deep playoff run... but if he gets hurt again (he's got a 100% success rate at being injured and missing significant time in his 3 years), Ballard shouldn't have an excuse as to why our wrs stunk again.

Ballard has talked about the potential of a number of guys, stating he's not worried about our wr group because we have guys who can potentially be consistent playmakers.  These guys include Deon Cain, Chester Rogers, Dontrelle Inman, Reece Fountain, Zac Pascal, Dez Patmon, and others... most recently Strachan.  Of the guys who have left here and played elsewhere, none have thrived, or moved up on the depth chart for other teams. So probably not a lot to do with who our qb is... there is a reason all these guys lasted late into drafts (or were undrafted).

I'm not going to take the time to look at other teams, but it seems odd to me that during Ballard's time here we seem to regularly be pulling guys off our practice squad and having them be playing significant minutes on Sundays when it comes to our wr squad (Marcus Johnson, DeMichael Harris come to mind). 

Given that Pittman wouldn't be a 1 on most teams, it makes sense that every other WR we have would be at least 1 spot lower on most other depth charts.  In some instances guys who we relied on as key contributors at wr aren't even good enough to make other rosters (eg, Inman).  

Ballard's job is to put playmakers on the field at wr and te.  He hasn't done that since he's been here. You can come up with all the excuses you want, but fact of the matter is all these guys Ballard tauts as high potential guys haven't panned out.  I'm not sure why people expect this to change now (Patmon went from a healthy scratch as a rookie to a guy who could have a breakoutyear, and he had 2 catches.. we're supposed to believe he's gonna make the jump? Dulin is a st ace who is fast, but has done nothing to show he can be a 17 game consistently productive playmaker, nor has anyone on our roster behind Pittman).

Add the fact that our TEs are near the bottom of the league as well, and Ballard isn't doing Ryan any favors.  There's still plenty of time until the season, all I'm saying is that I hope Ballard gives Ryan a couple more guys who are proven playmakers to assist Ryan this late in his career.. I'm getting sick of the 'potential' talk as 5 years of it hasn't panned out and I don't see the reason to think this year will be different. 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The fact that Ballard never gave Ty a helping hand pretty much his whole time here in Indy aside from Reggie just goes to show his lackluster ability to address certain areas 

Kamar Aiken, Eric Ebron, Devin Funchess, Dontrelle Inman, Zach Pascal, Parris Campbell, Michael Pittman

Obviously most of those guys are not show stoppers but he has definitely attempted 

TY has been on a 3 year decline as is, it's not like he's been the player he once was either

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Well, Rivers was our QB one of the last couple (2) years.  So you're losing me already. 

Second, Campbell's numbers would likely not change.  He's had huge portions of all 3 of his NFL seasons cut short due to injury. Not saying that is Ballard's fault, but he's done nothing to show he can stay healthy. As it sitsnow, he's likely our #2.  It'd be great if he proved us all wrong and balled out for 17 games and a deep playoff run... but if he gets hurt again (he's got a 100% success rate at being injured and missing significant time in his 3 years), Ballard shouldn't have an excuse as to why our wrs stunk again.

Ballard has talked about the potential of a number of guys, stating he's not worried about our wr group because we have guys who can potentially be consistent playmakers.  These guys include Deon Cain, Chester Rogers, Dontrelle Inman, Reece Fountain, Zac Pascal, Dez Patmon, and others... most recently Strachan.  Of the guys who have left here and played elsewhere, none have thrived, or moved up on the depth chart for other teams. So probably not a lot to do with who our qb is... there is a reason all these guys lasted late into drafts (or were undrafted).

I'm not going to take the time to look at other teams, but it seems odd to me that during Ballard's time here we seem to regularly be pulling guys off our practice squad and having them be playing significant minutes on Sundays when it comes to our wr squad (Marcus Johnson, DeMichael Harris come to mind). 

Given that Pittman wouldn't be a 1 on most teams, it makes sense that every other WR we have would be at least 1 spot lower on most other depth charts.  In some instances guys who we relied on as key contributors at wr aren't even good enough to make other rosters (eg, Inman).  

Ballard's job is to put playmakers on the field at wr and te.  He hasn't done that since he's been here. You can come up with all the excuses you want, but fact of the matter is all these guys Ballard tauts as high potential guys haven't panned out.  I'm not sure why people expect this to change now (Patmon went from a healthy scratch as a rookie to a guy who could have a breakoutyear, and he had 2 catches.. we're supposed to believe he's gonna make the jump? Dulin is a st ace who is fast, but has done nothing to show he can be a 17 game consistently productive playmaker, nor has anyone on our roster behind Pittman).

Add the fact that our TEs are near the bottom of the league as well, and Ballard isn't doing Ryan any favors.  There's still plenty of time until the season, all I'm saying is that I hope Ballard gives Ryan a couple more guys who are proven playmakers to assist Ryan this late in his career.. I'm getting sick of the 'potential' talk as 5 years of it hasn't panned out and I don't see the reason to think this year will be different. 

That big long response for pretty much simple points.   You know darn well if we had competent QB play for more than one season these receivers wouldn't be sitting at the bottom of the scrap pile.  Especially if Campbell was healthy with a QB like Rivers for more than one season.  The group as a whole performed better when they had a QB that knew what he was doing.   I just don't agree with your attempt to make it seem like all we need to do is change the WR or it's all the receivers fault for why the numbers look like they do.  And how can you even talk about what favor Ballard isn't doing for Ryan when the roster is still fluid and being added to?    The point once again is it's a combination of factors that have led to this and the QB Merry Go Round has had something to do with it as well.  You shouldn't  just jump up and say all the WR need to be changed because of stats in and of it self.  Were we even talking about how gargbage our TE room was when Rivers was here?  Competent QB play has a good bit to do with it as well.   You shouldn't just go and throw young receivers on the scrap pile like that.  I learned that years ago with Reggie Wayne.  His first two seasons I thought we needed to get rid of him, but he came out in his 3rd.  Ballard never once said he had no intentions to make any changes to the WR room.  He basically just said the whole baby doesnt need to go out with the bath water.   And he said that knowing full well these same stats you're trying to flaunt. 

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Reggie was here when Gregson was. Ballard  did attempt to address wr but obviously Campbell hasn't  worked out nor has Deon Cain funchess got hurt at start of season Pittman looks good but he needs help

attempting to find talent vs actually getting quality talent are two separate things. Grigs also attempted to fill in potions but always failed at finding the right pieces 

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Patmon was hurt for the majority of the year and by the time he came back it was during Wentz fall from grace.   Should we just go ahead and throw Strachan out as well while we are at it?  You know Ballard believes in building through the draft and why not?  It's exactly how we got all of our playmakers when Polian was here.  The success of that approach has not changed and there's no big reason to change from that because another team used more FA last season.  I don't like all that watching other peoples tables stuff because all you have to do the very next season is win the Super Bowl with players who you drafted and then people will be back talking about how it makes more sense to build from the draft.  Peoples opinions change yearly about what works so you can't get caught up in that.  You have to hold true to the principles you chose to stand on.   And it's not like he's stuck in glue about it.  He does believe in selective use of FA to add talent. 

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Taking into consideration that Wentz was not the best fit for this offense factors in a lot.  These guys are young, but there is talent.  Matt Ryan does very well in getting the most out of TEs.  He almost relies on them more than he should, but you should see this year playing well for names like MAC and Granson because his accuracy is a key element to his game.

You should also see players getting open more once Matt gets the offense down legit.  Taylor will lead this team in touches, but you should see a mix of him and Hines getting carries and catches.  These younger receivers are also going to get a dose of reality in terms of how precise Matt runs his offense.  After 14 years he orchestrates it very well no matter who is calling plays.

The draft will open up a lot of potential for Colts to enhance the receivers and AFTER draft you could see players such as Julio getting on board because they will have determined what they can fill with picks and what else needs rounding out. 

The great thing about it is that there isn't a LOT of work to be done, and although WR is a very young corp for this team, it also help because they dont have a lot of wear in them and can adapt with the right leader.  Matt played with Harry douglas and Tony G as his top two targets one year and HD performed pretty well after being 3/4 for his first 3 years or so.  This all runs through Taylor and Ryan, but Matt will want to ensure JT isn't overused so that they can use him when it matters most and not just to call his number every down. 

Campbell Koutee and Patmon could see a significant rise in production this year because they wont have to run deep routes and plays will be more scheme set instead of based on beating their guy on overall talent.  Adding veterans possibly will assist in improvig this team immediately.  QB determines a lot.  Matt is not the same guy he was in 2016, but he has done better with worse.

As a Falcons fan, I look forward to seeing Colts succeed this year because I know he's feeling revitalized and pumped with a fresh start.  That division belongs to the Colts in 2022!  

In response to this as well, Matt Ryan last year played with a bottom level receiving corps all year as well.  His top 5 wide receivers (not including Ridley) accounting for 175 catches 1816 yards.  Pitts and Darby had no catches at that point and Gage accumulated 128 - 1295 before last year.  

Matt still had almost 4000 yards 20tds 12 int, and were one game away from the playoffs at the end.  

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

This pretty much tells me we are definitely drafting another TE to go with these guys. 

They have to address TE in some manner.  We can't count on the two that have experience to stay healthy the entire year.  There's not a lot to expect from the others on the roster.  Although Michael Jacobson is kind of interesting.  Another round baller trying to play TE.

But I don't take to heart much of what is said before the draft.  If you're negotiating with a FA WR right now, you're not going to say it's a dire need.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Vet QB already in there fine tuning things so that the passing game is more effective. 

Yea, Ryan needs the route runners to run slower routes as evidence with the Paris/Ryan Instagram video. Ryan's fastball is now a bowling ball.... :funny:

2 hours ago, krunk said:

This pretty much tells me we are definitely drafting another TE to go with these guys. 

:funny: Mo has had five years to step up. This seriously is getting to be an absolute joke. I wish the Indy media would just stop asking about the offense. I mean again, what do they believe Reich is going to say?

I really wish these Indy media guys would just say Frank, these wideouts other than Pittman are terrible. Why haven't the Colts stopped trying to keep shoving a peg into a square and actually gone out and acquired real offensive talent in the TE and WR position. 

Let Reich respond to that and when Reich coach speaks the response, call out Colt manure and start pointing out actual statistical facts like how long Cox has had a chance to step up and why he was given a three-year contract before those "steps" have even been taken

5 hours ago, krunk said:

That big long response for pretty much simple points.   You know darn well if we had competent QB play for more than one season these receivers wouldn't be sitting at the bottom of the scrap pile.  Especially if Campbell was healthy with a QB like Rivers for more than one season.  The group as a whole performed better when they had a QB that knew what he was doing.   I just don't agree with your attempt to make it seem like all we need to do is change the WR or it's all the receivers fault for why the numbers look like they do.  And how can you even talk about what favor Ballard isn't doing for Ryan when the roster is still fluid and being added to?    The point once again is it's a combination of factors that have led to this and the QB Merry Go Round has had something to do with it as well.  You shouldn't  just jump up and say all the WR need to be changed because of stats in and of it self.  Were we even talking about how gargbage our TE room was when Rivers was here?  Competent QB play has a good bit to do with it as well.   You shouldn't just go and throw young receivers on the scrap pile like that.  I learned that years ago with Reggie Wayne.  His first two seasons I thought we needed to get rid of him, but he came out in his 3rd.  Ballard never once said he had no intentions to make any changes to the WR room.  He basically just said the whole baby doesnt need to go out with the bath water.   And he said that knowing full well these same stats you're trying to flaunt. 

Thank you for bashing my long post with this wall of text.  The fact that you don't bother to separate it into paragraphs with organized thoughts makes it very easy to read.

Wentz really wasn't bad last year.  He was pretty competent as a qb for most of the year.  His TD to INT ratio was among the best in the league.  He did that with his #1 wr being a guy who would be #2 at best on most teams in the league, and probably #3 on at least 15% of teams (maybe higher).  

I said, on purpose, that I hope Ballard does something to give Ryan proven weapons.

When Rivers was here we had Doyle and Burton, both guys who had actually done something in the NFL. And we had MAC.  Our TEs weren't great then, but with Doyle we had a probowl caliber TE and with Burton we had a guy who had made plays in the NFL before.  Doyle is retired now.  We have MAC who has shown to be a good blocker and has had spurts of showing promise as a WR.  With Granson we have a guy who is unproven, with some pundits comparing him to be similar to Burton.  So there is good reason why people weren't complaining about our TE talent as much in 2020 as they are now.

As far as you comparing our young WRs to Reggie, you're digging yourself a deeper hole. Reggie was a first round pick who was a stud at a very competitive school. He played a good amount his first couple years, in fact as a rookie he had more receptions than Dulin/Patmon/ Strachan combined intheir collective 6 years in the league (3 for Dulin, 2 for Patmon, 1 for Strachan).  Reggie had 49 catches year 2, and was playing consistently... Patmon had 2 catches year 2, after never being good enough to  make active roster year 1... and he and Strachan are late round picks with Dulin an undrafted guy (to expect a couple 6th rounders and an udfa to have the same potential as a 1st round pick is absurd, and I think this is where I realize arguing with you is pointless because you suggesting these guys could be like soon to be HOFer Reggie is downright lunacy).

5 hours ago, krunk said:

They have to do something at tightend.  They pretty much only have two on the roster.  Most teams keep three on the final let alone the pre-season roster.

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Ballard isn't an *.  He'll address WR, LT, and TE.

I think we only have about 65 or so players on the roster right now.  

Yes….   About 6 more than two weeks ago when one poster had a meltdown over only having 59.    The roster will fill out.   

We will draft.   We will sign undrafted free agents.    We will sign more veteran free agents.   There is still a lot of time.  

Let’s keep our powder dry please…. 

Going into last season we had a very deep WR room on the back end. By that meaning we didnt have the stud wrs except  Pittman BUT we had players on the p.s. in Coutee and Harris who would be on many clubs active rosters in the 5/6 spot.  Losing T.Y. and Pascal doesnt really change things much as T.Y. as much as we all love him is past his glory days and Pascal was always j.a.g. as far as receiving (Though his effort and motor at blocking will be missed).

I expect 1 draft pick  likely in round 3 to be a 2/3 depending on Dulin progressing or Campbell staying healthy. Patmon and Big Mike 5/6 likely with Coutee and Harris fighting for a spot with those 2. I have a feeling Coutee would be poached before Harris during cut downs but we may well see both on P.S. once more.

7 hours ago, Indeee said:

:funny: Mo has had five years to step up. This seriously is getting to be an absolute joke. I wish the Indy media would just stop asking about the offense. I mean again, what do they believe Reich is going to say?

I really wish these Indy media guys would just say Frank, these wideouts other than Pittman are terrible. Why haven't the Colts stopped trying to keep shoving a peg into a square and actually gone out and acquired real offensive talent in the TE and WR position. 

Let Reich respond to that and when Reich coach speaks the response, call out Colt manure and start pointing out actual statistical facts like how long Cox has had a chance to step up and why he was given a three-year contract before those "steps" have even been taken

Once again….   Nothing but projection.  

You think you’re right.   You don’t think there’s another side of the story.   You think MAC is a proven failure.   You think none of the foursome of Campbell, Dulin, Patmon and Strachan will step up.   You’re not even willing to let them prove themselves.   The jury is in for you. 

All to support you’re narrative that Ballard is over-rated.  Projection, projection, projection. 

Good luck with that. 

I see a lot of people saying Pittman is a #2. He had 88 catches for 1082 yards and 6 TDs with a 68% catch rate. This was his second year after having surgery for compartment syndrome his rookie year and missing time.  They say WRs need three years to break out so we should see improvement from him.  He is a legit #1 and wouldn’t surprise me to see him go for 100 catches and 1300 yards. Let’s give the young man some time. 

We have a lot of youth at the WR position. I fully expect for at least one of them to rise up and become a clear cut starter. Between Dulin, Patmon, Strachan, Coute and hopefully Campbell, there is too much talent for all to be misses. One of these guys(maybe two) will eclipse 500-600 yds and 4 TDs at a respectable catch rate. QB and run game is too good for it not to open a door. Someone on the roster will walk thru it and surprise us. 

I expect an offensive playmaker to be drafted but not sure what round. I bet if they don’t trade back they will draft BPA regardless of position at 42 bc a guy will fall to them that has a first round grade. I won’t dismiss the idea they trade up either. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Once again….   Nothing but projection.  

You think you’re right.   You don’t think there’s another side of the story.   You think MAC is a proven failure.   You think none of the foursome of Campbell, Dulin, Patmon and Strachan will step up.   You’re not even willing to let them prove themselves.   The jury is in for you. 

All to support you’re narrative that Ballard is over-rated.  Projection, projection, projection. 

Good luck with that. 

I think in any aspect of life the cream rises to the top. In the case of MO, by now if he would have shown any inkling of "rising cream" or willingness to excel on his own, his production would have followed, and the coaches would have implemented him more into the gameplan over these past five years. That is NOT speculation, that is common sense in awareness of witnessing firsthand. As far as the last three guys, at this point, they are jags, and you know it. You can sit over there and play your other side of the optimistic coin all you want but if any of those guys were worth their weight they would have shined when opportunities arose. Use Darrel Mooney in Chicago as an example. Bears in a very similar spot to us in wideout talent and QB talent and when Robinson fell off/got injured Mooney seized the opportunity and now is considered a rising star. Where has that occurred at any time with Duhlin, Patmon, or Strachan? It hasn't. You can separate the jags from the stars early on. The stars want the ball always. They get upset when not utilized enough. They craft their game in practice and out. They do anything to garner QB's attention confidence, coaches' attention and confidence too. The jags just go with the flow and never go beyond the opportunity given, which never amounts to much opportunity. Again, this isn't speculation this is how life works. You are being around 65 years as you say, you for one should know this. Just because Patmon catches a key touchdown in one spot makes him no less of a jag. take tyree as example. One catch in a super bowl led to immortalization but as a player? JAG 

Just now, Indeee said:

I think in any aspect of life the cream rises to the top. In the case of MO, by now if he would have shown any inkling of "rising cream" or willingness to excel on his own, his production would have followed, and the coaches would have implemented him more into the gameplan over these past five years. That is NOT speculation, that is common sense in awareness of witnessing firsthand. As far as the last three guys, at this point, they are jags, and you know it. You can sit over there and play your other side of the optimistic coin all you want but if any of those guys were worth their weight they would have shined when opportunities arose. Use Darrel Mooney in Chicago as an example. Bears in a very similar spot to us in wideout talent and QB talent and when Robinson fell off/got injured Mooney seized the opportunity and now is considered a rising star. Where has that occurred at any time with Duhlin, Patmon, or Strachan? It hasn't. You can separate the jags from the stars early on. The stars want the ball always. They get upset when not utilized enough. They craft their game in practice and out. They do anything to garner QB's attention confidence, coaches' attention and confidence too. The jags just go with the flow and never go beyond the opportunity given, which never amounts to much opportunity. Again, this isn't speculation this is how life works. You are being around 65 years as you say, you for one should know this. Just because Patmon catches a key touchdown in one spot makes him no less of a jag. take tyree as example. One catch in a super bowl led to immortalization but as a player? JAG 

Where are you getting the Ballard is overrated stuff from? My response has nothing to do with Ballard. If you are projecting that by me telling you that these players are terrible is a reflection on Ballard than that reflection is internally mirroring your sentiment on Ballard, not mine. My response was about these players. These players are terrible and Cox has done nothing to warrant a three year extension and anyone who thinks otherwise are in the same camp that believe Doyle was worth his. Both contracts are wasted money and that is not projection. Doyle's three year extension did nothing to better this team from a production standpoint past maybe a blocker and more had to do with giving Doyle a team to be on for three years. To me, you could have found a blocking TE for much less than what you paid Doyle.

See in my world Doyle and Cox are cashiers who every once in a while, you need to fill in when the production staff calls out sick. We have enough cashiers/customer service people on this team, we need more production people

We have this discussion just about every year. Under Grigson, it was primarily T.Y. and a cast of JAGS (aside from when Reggie played early in T.Y.'s career). For years we talked on this forum about getting him a good WR #2, and how we've lacked a good overall WR corps. (We know what a good WR corps looks like with Reggie & Harrison).

There were people on this forum who saw WR as a need and people who swore that this would be the year that X developmental player would step up. Never happened.

Now we're just repeating the same story but with Pittman as our #1 and waiting for Strachan, Patmon, Dulin, etc. to step up, while it never worked out with Fountain, Caine, or Chester Rogers. Pascal was considered a success story, but only here in Indy would that be considered a success. Most other teams, that would be your #4 receiver.

21 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Y'know who else only had 18 career receptions?  Darren Waller after his first 4 years in the league.  His 5th and 6th years he had 1,100+ yard seasons.  If only talent evaluation was as simple as adding up career receptions.  I get it - we aren't returning multiple proven producers.  But using that as a proxy for the quality of the receiving corps is lazy.  We'll probably add a WR on Day 2 (who will have 0 career NFL receptions), and I bet our WR corps will be pretty decent...

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

Y'know who else only had 18 career receptions?  Darren Waller after his first 4 years in the league.  His 5th and 6th years he had 1,100+ yard seasons.  If only talent evaluation was as simple as adding up career receptions.  I get it - we aren't returning multiple proven producers.  But using that as a proxy for the quality of the receiving corps is lazy.  We'll probably add a WR on Day 2 (who will have 0 career NFL receptions), and I bet our WR corps will be pretty decent...

You’re kind of proving his point.  Most day 2 WRs take a year or two to really make an impact. 

But I guess you’re saying that our young guys (Patmon, Strahan, etc.) have had that time so they may be ready to step in?

Archived