Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

38 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Does it feel like the NFL tampering period moving slower then usual?

I think dominos will start falling once Watson gets traded, then teams that lose out on him will start burning up some of there space. Plus Jacksonville kinda screwed up the market by way over paying for some guys so other players are trying to get top dollar and it’s not happening. Plus I still feel like it’s a weaker FA class this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twfish said:

I think dominos will start falling once Watson gets traded, then teams that lose out on him will start burning up some of there space. Plus Jacksonville kinda screwed up the market by way over paying for some guys so other players are trying to get top dollar and it’s not happening. Plus I still feel like it’s a weaker FA class this year.

Yeah I guess we did kinda elevate the dollars didn't we. The problem is the Jags were forced into paying more due the the crapfest the team has been the last decade. Regardless of the dollars spent, we got at least four starters yesterday, possibly five.  Trevor got two weapons with more on the way.

The only way to get rid of the perception we have is to win though, and we have a great start for a decent team next year. If we can just nail the draft no one will be laughing at us anymore. 

@VikingsFanInChennai 

What do you think about our moves so far? As you know, I am not a fan of the Cousins extension but the team had no other choice. Kirk's agent crafted a contract that is hard to free oneself of. I wish we had allowed his contact to expire.

So far we have acquire Harrison Phillips and Jordan Hicks, two guys to improve the defense. Is Zimmer still the head coach? :sarcasm:

I don't mind not being quiet in free agency. I don't like signing high-priced free agents (like Cousins). 

I like Maniac Recruiting as a FA strategy:

@chanjones55 what’s good man! You and @DeForestBuckner would be scary 

— Darius Leonard (@dsleon45) March 15, 2022

@BumpNrunGilm0re what’s sup man! I heard blue was your favorite color 

@AllenRobinson I know you don’t like cold weather man so come on down to Lucas Oil for a temperature of 65-70 degrees on game day !

@show_case29 how are you doing today?

Marquez Valdes-Scantling 

@T_Armstead72 that horseshoe would look great on ya man!

• Like 2

I don't see how they could even get rid of Ryan. He has such an awful contract that they just restructured again like 2 days ago. His cap hit this year is $37M and next year is $47M (!!!!). Similarly he has a $55M cap hit to cut this year lol so they can't do that either.

14 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Shock horror, a player that might actually see the field!
In all honestly, great re-signing. Can play LT if needed but a great swing tackle.

Yep, excellent retention move. Hope Chris Reed is the next retention signing. 

31 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I like Maniac Recruiting as a FA strategy:

@chanjones55 what’s good man! You and @DeForestBuckner would be scary 

@BumpNrunGilm0re what’s sup man! I heard blue was your favorite color 

@AllenRobinson I know you don’t like cold weather man so come on down to Lucas Oil for a temperature of 65-70 degrees on game day !

@show_case29 how are you doing today?

Marquez Valdes-Scantling 

@T_Armstead72 that horseshoe would look great on ya man!

I love DL and his passion.

I liked what he told ARob. :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Niners restructure Kittle and Armstead to create 18.7 million in cap space.

https://nfltraderumors.co/49ers-restructure-te-george-kittle-dl-arik-armstead-add-18-7m-in-cap-space/

This gives the Niners the flexibility to not budge in a trade for Jimmy G except for a 2nd rounder, IMO. They can afford to pay him since Trey Lance is on a rookie salary and keep Jimmy G as insurance while he heals from shoulder surgery. The longer they get closer to the season, the pressure will mount to not have a QB conundrum because teams won't want to trade for a QB after training camp. 

If Baker Mayfield becomes available after the Watson trade, that does water down the market for Jimmy G though.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This gives the Niners the flexibility to not budge in a trade for Jimmy G except for a 2nd rounder, IMO. They can afford to pay him since Trey Lance is on a rookie salary and keep Jimmy G as insurance while he heals from shoulder surgery. However, they may want to showcase him at some point to drum up trade value as the season goes on to show he has recovered, and that is when the dilemma happens, whether to bench Lance if he has a bad stretch or not etc. The longer they get closer to the season, the pressure will mount to not have a QB conundrum because teams won't want to trade for a QB after training camp. 

I was thinking the same thing. Teams have to be frustrated that the Niners seem to be waffling on whether they actually want to trade Jimmy G. at this point. On top of that they are going to hold a meeting with Deshaun Watson? This makes me think their belief in Lance as the future of the Niners may be a bit of a smokescreen.

18 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Niners restructure Kittle and Armstead to create 18.7 million in cap space.

https://nfltraderumors.co/49ers-restructure-te-george-kittle-dl-arik-armstead-add-18-7m-in-cap-space/

The Saints restructured contracts to create $70 million in cap space without cutting a single person. The 49ers, Chiefs, Cowboys, etc make it work - why does it seem like we only ever have one or two tiny restructures available each year? It seems like certain teams can go get whoever they want with zero cap rules 

I read an article earlier saying the Browns GM reached out to Bakers camp and stated they'd attempt to trade him to a team of his choosing which was the Colts. Doesnt necessarily mean Ballard has any interest but it is certainly intriguing. Baker is a known leader and was good before he tore his labrum. I could see him and Leonard being besties with their personalities. Part of the 70m may go to an immediate extension for him which "could" be what we're waiting on. I like the fit and would much rather build around Mayfield than get a new QB every season. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

The Saints restructured contracts to create $70 million in cap space without cutting a single person. The 49ers, Chiefs, Cowboys, etc make it work - why does it seem like we only ever have one or two tiny restructures available each year? It seems like certain teams can go get whoever they want with zero cap rules 

I agree. I have mentioned this several times on this forum. I think the Colts approach cap manipulation like they do free agency, very conservatively. The Saints were in cap space hell to start the FA new year and now all of the sudden they are the leading candidates to land Watson and his $40 million contract? The avid Ballard supporters on the forum always assure me that Ballard and his accountants are working their magic behind the scenes but we never see it in real life.

5 minutes ago, DeepseaColt said:

I read an article earlier saying the Browns GM reached out to Bakers camp and stated they'd attempt to trade him to a team of his choosing which was the Colts. Doesnt necessarily mean Ballard has any interest but it is certainly intriguing. Baker is a known leader and was good before he tore his labrum. I could see him and Leonard being besties with their personalities. Part of the 70m may go to an immediate extension for him which "could" be what we're waiting on. I like the fit and would much rather build around Mayfield than get a new QB every season. 

I am not sure about Mayfield. He has been good at times but mediocre at others. The situation begs many questions? Why do the Browns want to move on from Mayfield? Maybe they don't want to pay him big money for fair results? Maybe there is something they don't like about him? Subsequently, who would the Browns be moving on to? Deshaun Watson? If not, then whom?

Wonder what Mayfield would cost us.  If he would cost us what we got in the Wentz trade - a 3rd this year and a 2nd next- I think I’d take him.  Of course, all this depends on Houston bagging Watson (and not including Mayfield in Houston’s compensation)…

9 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I am not sure about Mayfield. He has been good at times but mediocre at others. The situation begs many questions? Why do the Browns want to move on from Mayfield? Maybe they don't want to pay him big money for fair results? Maybe there is something they don't like about him? Subsequently, who would the Browns be moving on to? Deshaun Watson? If not, then whom?

My guess, which amounts to very little is that the organization is wary of paying him what it will cost to extend him and that "if" he has another bad season his value drops. He played all of last year injured and there were reports he was unhappy with the coaching staff, specifically Stefanski. With the Madden team the Browns have they may want to go with a rookie in order to keep their difference makers together. 

• Like 1

I think Baker is well worth the risk. Has the pedigree, the confidence and leadership. Young enough to be the future. Him and Stefanski had butted heads for a while, hard to work well when that happens, in any work place.

Reich has managed literally every QBs turnovers when they have come to the Colts, I think he could do wonders with Baker. 

For everyone saying no, there really isn't a higher upside option out there. Of course its not 100% it works, but you have to take a chance. If he tanks, we miss the playoffs again, end up with a top 12 pick in a great QB draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Part of the reason is because they get good players that can stay productive for as long as the team pushes out the cap hit,  Their core players matter.  Kittle and Armstead are two impact positions and will be with the 9ers for a long time.  I don't know where the Saints stand, but they have pretty good players outside of the QB.