Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lol. What’s left worth anything.

Allen Robinson is still there.

After Kirk's outlier of a contract, he probably wants to average $20 mil. too, so I am thinking ARob goes somewhere for 3 years $60 mil. OR signs a show me 1 year deal with a SB contender like the Chiefs for $15 mil. or something. The question is, will ARob want to be reunited with Nagy with the Chiefs, or want to stay away from him depending on how his experience with the Bears was?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Allen Robinson is still there.

After Kirk's outlier of a contract, he probably wants to average $20 mil. too, so I am thinking ARob goes somewhere for 3 years $60 mil. OR signs a show me 1 year deal with a SB contender like the Chiefs for $15 mil. or something.

I agree. He will get big dollars. I’ll take DJ Chark and Valdez-Scantling. Let’s get this WR core going lol. 

I just saw on nfl net work 2 highly paid propaganda media jacks ripping the Colts for not doing anything yet. That can only mean Ballard and company are doing right again. Media jacks are pathetic. Keep up the good work Chris, don't over pay for marginal talent. So many Colt fans have such short memories, remember Tyrone Poole and Jeff Burris? Very few "expensive" free agents have ever earned their contracts. How about Haynesworth in Washington? J.C. Jackson would not have helped the Colts, why pay someone 20 million dollars a year to give an 8 yard cushion on third and 3?

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I just saw on nfl net work 2 highly paid propaganda media jacks ripping the Colts for not doing anything yet. That can only mean Ballard and company are doing right again. Media jacks are pathetic. Keep up the good work Chris, don't over pay for marginal talent. So many Colt fans have such short memories, remember Tyrone Poole and Jeff Burris? Very few "expensive" free agents have ever earned their contracts. How about Haynesworth in Washington? J.C. Jackson would not have helped the Colts, why pay someone 20 million dollars a year to give an 8 yard cushion on third and 3?

We keep saying this every year but his approach isn’t working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bill Polian, considered one of the greatest gm's in league history had the greatest qb to ever play the game for his 14 years here and won one sb, so we can probably say his "approach" didn't work either. Ballard has a winning record in his 5 years here and for 2 of those years the qb was Brissett. I still say Ballard has done a remarkable job. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Bill Polian, considered one of the greatest gm's in league history had the greatest qb to ever play the game for his 14 years here and won one sb, so we can probably say his "approach" didn't work either. Ballard has a winning record in his 5 years here and for 2 of those years the qb was Brissett. I still say Ballard has done a remarkable job. 

However Ballard's teams have made the playoffs 2 out of those 5 years. Having a lack of talent at key positions is easily his issue. QB is the only spot I can give him a mulligan with Luck's unexpected retirement. Other than that, pass rushers, safeties, pass catchers, this team lacks top tier talent, IMO. Pass offense and pass defense wins in this league. Those metrics have not been the best for the Colts team constructed under Ballard. Polian's teams on the other hand, were tops in pass offense and pass defense most of the time.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 4:17 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We are letting a lot of our FA test FA. Rumor was they wanted Turay back on a cheap deal. He is a guy that I think someone is going to pay a little for. I hope we can keep him. I think he is going to blow up and play well.

The problem is the Colts want everyone on a cheap deal....thus the plethera of FA signings today....oh wait.

• Like 1

Just now, danlhart87 said:

He will want more than Ballard is willing to give 

I am sure colts are interested. But his price and colts not having a QB probably will kill any chance.

Just now, philba101 said:

The problem is the Colts want everyone on a cheap deal....thus the plethera of FA signings today....oh wait.

Yep. They even were trying to get a TE who is always injured because he came cheap.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

However Ballard's teams have made the playoffs 2 out of those 5 years. Having a lack of talent at key positions is easily his issue. QB is the only spot I can give him a mulligan with Luck's unexpected retirement. Other than that, pass rushers, safeties, pass catchers, this team lacks top tier talent, IMO. Pass offense and pass defense wins in this league. Those metrics have not been the best for the Colts team constructed under Ballard. Polian's teams on the other hand, were tops in pass offense and pass defense most of the time.

To the bolded that’s what’s been maddening to watch the past few years. “You can have real deep conviction on how things need to be built or run, but you also need to have the curiosity and flexibility to change along the way if needed”. Not seeing it. 

Been a fan for a while now and this is the first time in a while where I don’t feel us going in a forward trajectory. I feel the rest of the AFC has passed us a bit. 2023 is looking the year to get excited for. 

• Like 2

The Colts really need to slow down on their frenetic pace of FA acquisitions........it is simply unsustainable. At this rate we will burn through our $70 million in 2-4 offseasons. Say it with me Delayed Gratification......Delayed Gratification.....

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

To the bolded that’s what’s been maddening to watch the past few years. “You can have real deep conviction on how things need to be built or run, but you also need to have the curiosity and flexibility to change along the way if needed”. Not seeing it. 

Been a fan for a while now and this is the first time in a while where I don’t feel us going in a forward trajectory. I feel the rest of the AFC has passed us a bit. 2023 is looking the year to get excited for. 

I am not mad he did not pull the trigger today, we can evaluate 2 weeks into free agency and see where we stand. But at the end of 2 weeks, if our cupboard has not had significant additions at say QB and/or LT and/or safety/pass catcher/pass rusher, I will start to wonder if this is a reset season.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Ballard had the chance to trade for him for a low pick and with all of our cap space.  Now he’s in competition with other interested teams.   Time for Ballard to step up and fill a major need.  

Ballard reading this 

Computer Thumbs Up GIF by Creative Courage

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am not mad he did not pull the trigger today, we can evaluate 2 weeks into free agency and see where we stand. But at the end of 2 weeks, if our cupboard has not had significant additions at say QB and/or LT and/or safety/pass catcher/pass rusher, I will start to wonder if this is a reset season.

Players are already ticked. That will not sit well. Probably will cost Ballard and Reich their jobs. Unless there is a QB drafted high and there is a clear direction.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

Yeah, Patriots committed a lot of money to Agholor, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry and Kendrick Bourne too last year in the first week of free agency. They came out swinging to help their future QB, which happened to be Mac Jones as a rookie.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

Don’t worry, we are going -8 and 17 this coming season because we didn’t over pay for mediocrity. iMHO I still think it’s a relatively weaker FA class. Ya some big names but the majority of them have fallen off.

• Like 1

As teams sign players to big contracts, it doesn't necessarily raise the price of other free agents.

Teams are using up their cap space pretty quickly.  In the ensuing days, the market will show less and less total aggregate cap space throughout the NFL compared to the number of free agents available.

At some point the market turns where players are racing to compete with other players to get as much available cap space as is left in the NFL, and that's when reasonable deals start happening.

• Like 3

Polians teams were always at the top in passing offense because of Manning. Andrew Luck has the second highest pass yards per game in league history, trailing only Drew Brees. Having a top qb covers a lot of holes. Ballard has had one twice, Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers, not coincidentally the 2 years he has made the playoffs. Again, I say Ballard has done an exceptional job. I don't see how it is his fault Luck suddenly retired. Ballard was dealt a very cruddy hand twice. Remember Luck didn't play in 2017 either(Ballards first year here).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

So if we sign Landry on some overpriced deal will some of you guys be happy. Even though he has had two consecutive down years. What splash do we need to do to please some??

At this point Landry is not a speed guy.  He's an X, and we already have three of them.

• Thanks 1