Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lol. What’s left worth anything.

 

 

 

Allen Robinson is still there.

 

After Kirk's outlier of a contract, he probably wants to average $20 mil. too, so I am thinking ARob goes somewhere for 3 years $60 mil. OR signs a show me 1 year deal with a SB contender like the Chiefs for $15 mil. or something. The question is, will ARob want to be reunited with Nagy with the Chiefs, or want to stay away from him depending on how his experience with the Bears was?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Allen Robinson is still there.

 

After Kirk's outlier of a contract, he probably wants to average $20 mil. too, so I am thinking ARob goes somewhere for 3 years $60 mil. OR signs a show me 1 year deal with a SB contender like the Chiefs for $15 mil. or something.

I agree. He will get big dollars. I’ll take DJ Chark and Valdez-Scantling. Let’s get this WR core going lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just saw on nfl net work 2 highly paid propaganda media jacks ripping the Colts for not doing anything yet. That can only mean Ballard and company are doing right again. Media jacks are pathetic. Keep up the good work Chris, don't over pay for marginal talent. So many Colt fans have such short memories, remember Tyrone Poole and Jeff Burris? Very few "expensive" free agents have ever earned their contracts. How about Haynesworth in Washington? J.C. Jackson would not have helped the Colts, why pay someone 20 million dollars a year to give an 8 yard cushion on third and 3?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I just saw on nfl net work 2 highly paid propaganda media jacks ripping the Colts for not doing anything yet. That can only mean Ballard and company are doing right again. Media jacks are pathetic. Keep up the good work Chris, don't over pay for marginal talent. So many Colt fans have such short memories, remember Tyrone Poole and Jeff Burris? Very few "expensive" free agents have ever earned their contracts. How about Haynesworth in Washington? J.C. Jackson would not have helped the Colts, why pay someone 20 million dollars a year to give an 8 yard cushion on third and 3?

We keep saying this every year but his approach isn’t working.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill Polian, considered one of the greatest gm's in league history had the greatest qb to ever play the game for his 14 years here and won one sb, so we can probably say his "approach" didn't work either. Ballard has a winning record in his 5 years here and for 2 of those years the qb was Brissett. I still say Ballard has done a remarkable job. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Bill Polian, considered one of the greatest gm's in league history had the greatest qb to ever play the game for his 14 years here and won one sb, so we can probably say his "approach" didn't work either. Ballard has a winning record in his 5 years here and for 2 of those years the qb was Brissett. I still say Ballard has done a remarkable job. 

 

However Ballard's teams have made the playoffs 2 out of those 5 years. Having a lack of talent at key positions is easily his issue. QB is the only spot I can give him a mulligan with Luck's unexpected retirement. Other than that, pass rushers, safeties, pass catchers, this team lacks top tier talent, IMO. Pass offense and pass defense wins in this league. Those metrics have not been the best for the Colts team constructed under Ballard. Polian's teams on the other hand, were tops in pass offense and pass defense most of the time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2022 at 4:17 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We are letting a lot of our FA test FA. Rumor was they wanted Turay back on a cheap deal. He is a guy that I think someone is going to pay a little for. I hope we can keep him. I think he is going to blow up and play well.

The problem is the Colts want everyone on a cheap deal....thus the plethera of FA signings today....oh wait.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, danlhart87 said:

He will want more than Ballard is willing to give 

 

 

I am sure colts are interested. But his price and colts not having a QB probably will kill any chance.

Just now, philba101 said:

The problem is the Colts want everyone on a cheap deal....thus the plethera of FA signings today....oh wait.

Yep. They even were trying to get a TE who is always injured because he came cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

However Ballard's teams have made the playoffs 2 out of those 5 years. Having a lack of talent at key positions is easily his issue. QB is the only spot I can give him a mulligan with Luck's unexpected retirement. Other than that, pass rushers, safeties, pass catchers, this team lacks top tier talent, IMO. Pass offense and pass defense wins in this league. Those metrics have not been the best for the Colts team constructed under Ballard. Polian's teams on the other hand, were tops in pass offense and pass defense most of the time.

To the bolded that’s what’s been maddening to watch the past few years. “You can have real deep conviction on how things need to be built or run, but you also need to have the curiosity and flexibility to change along the way if needed”. Not seeing it. 
 

Been a fan for a while now and this is the first time in a while where I don’t feel us going in a forward trajectory. I feel the rest of the AFC has passed us a bit. 2023 is looking the year to get excited for. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

He will want more than Ballard is willing to give 

 

 

That’s unfortunate. We have the room. No QB….but we have room! Lol. At what point do we break the bank a little?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Colts really need to slow down on their frenetic pace of FA acquisitions........it is simply unsustainable. At this rate we will burn through our $70 million in 2-4 offseasons. Say it with me Delayed Gratification......Delayed Gratification.....

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

 

Ballard had the chance to trade for him for a low pick and with all of our cap space.  Now he’s in competition with other interested teams.   Time for Ballard to step up and fill a major need.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

To the bolded that’s what’s been maddening to watch the past few years. “You can have real deep conviction on how things need to be built or run, but you also need to have the curiosity and flexibility to change along the way if needed”. Not seeing it. 
 

Been a fan for a while now and this is the first time in a while where I don’t feel us going in a forward trajectory. I feel the rest of the AFC has passed us a bit. 2023 is looking the year to get excited for. 

 

I am not mad he did not pull the trigger today, we can evaluate 2 weeks into free agency and see where we stand. But at the end of 2 weeks, if our cupboard has not had significant additions at say QB and/or LT and/or safety/pass catcher/pass rusher, I will start to wonder if this is a reset season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, richard pallo said:

Ballard had the chance to trade for him for a low pick and with all of our cap space.  Now he’s in competition with other interested teams.   Time for Ballard to step up and fill a major need.  

Ballard reading this 

 

Computer Thumbs Up GIF by Creative Courage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard had the chance to trade for him for a low pick and with all of our cap space.  Now he’s in competition with other interested teams.   Time for Ballard to step up and fill a major need.  

He said he wants to go to a situation with s good QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I am not mad he did not pull the trigger today, we can evaluate 2 weeks into free agency and see where we stand. But at the end of 2 weeks, if our cupboard has not had significant additions at say QB and/or LT and/or safety/pass catcher/pass rusher, I will start to wonder if this is a reset season.

Players are already ticked. That will not sit well. Probably will cost Ballard and Reich their jobs. Unless there is a QB drafted high and there is a clear direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, danlhart87 said:

 

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

 

Yeah, Patriots committed a lot of money to Agholor, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry and Kendrick Bourne too last year in the first week of free agency. They came out swinging to help their future QB, which happened to be Mac Jones as a rookie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

 

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

Don’t worry, we are going -8 and 17 this coming season because we didn’t over pay for mediocrity. iMHO I still think it’s a relatively weaker FA class. Ya some big names but the majority of them have fallen off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As teams sign players to big contracts, it doesn't necessarily raise the price of other free agents.

 

Teams are using up their cap space pretty quickly.  In the ensuing days, the market will show less and less total aggregate cap space throughout the NFL compared to the number of free agents available.

 

At some point the market turns where players are racing to compete with other players to get as much available cap space as is left in the NFL, and that's when reasonable deals start happening.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Polians teams were always at the top in passing offense because of Manning. Andrew Luck has the second highest pass yards per game in league history, trailing only Drew Brees. Having a top qb covers a lot of holes. Ballard has had one twice, Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers, not coincidentally the 2 years he has made the playoffs. Again, I say Ballard has done an exceptional job. I don't see how it is his fault Luck suddenly retired. Ballard was dealt a very cruddy hand twice. Remember Luck didn't play in 2017 either(Ballards first year here).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

So if we sign Landry on some overpriced deal will some of you guys be happy. Even though he has had two consecutive down years. What splash do we need to do to please some??

At this point Landry is not a speed guy.  He's an X, and we already have three of them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • id agree with you if this same type of punishment was also coming for Snyder and Kraft, but me and you both know it’s not.  So the nfl doing this, it comes off more as hypocritical than correcting a mistake.     i agree, you are ABSOLUTELY right about Watson, by why doesn’t the nfl have the same focus on their owners?  I get it, they’re his bosses, but does that exclude sexual assault and other stuff these owners have been accused of?  I mean an owner just got caught tampering, trying to illegally gain an advantage, and also the nfl admitted that he mentioned paying his own coach to lose.  What was his punishment, couple of months, 1 million dollars, and a draft pick.  But Calvin Ridley gets suspended for an entire year for gambling $1500?  Wow
    • I'd be shocked if we kept three QBs on the 53
    • On any given team, the 3rd and 4th string guys are fighting for table scraps.      But this year on the Colts, it should be even harder to take care of our 3/4.    Because both our 1st and 2nd string are new to the team and the playbook.   So both Ryan and Foles need every rep they can get.   They won’t be giving up any of theirs.      So Ehlinger and Coan are going to have to make the best of a difficult situation.   It may not be fair, but in carefully scripted practices there's only so much to go around. 
    • I agree losing Hill is a huge loss. I do think they take a tiny step back, but they could also take a step forward.    Not a bad pass catching group at all...    RB - CEH is a good catching RB, not that he needs it though TE - Kelce - don't need to say anything here   WR - MVS - solid and quality X JuJu - likely does better with Mahomes over Big Ben...  Hardman - productive guy, and should take a step forward now that he's no longer in Hill's shadow Moore - rook, but I like his chances.   A lot of teams would like to have that group
    • Using unit totals of  RB - 60 TE - 55 WR - 135   Keeping things simple, and only including the top 4 TEs on the depth chart.   Note, most of the depth chart chatter has Ogletree over Woods at this point, and climbing..... citing Ogletree's hands and route running as being more advanced.    I'd also add that there's a good chance that Granson is again used in more of a TE/HB/slot hybrid role, than traditional TE. That doesn't guarantee anything though. We've heard reports of shovels in camp (Hybrid use) but also heard reports of corner routes. 
  • Members

    • AustinnKaine

      AustinnKaine 1,366

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 465

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ThePowerslave

      ThePowerslave 39

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • smittywerb

      smittywerb 558

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 358

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...