Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Why would Ballard do that

true, most i would’ve went would be $20, but now I see he had other things in the works and he made the right move.  That’s why he get paid the big bucks and I’m just an armchair GM lol

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Bills overpaid on that one imo. He will be cut before the contract ends. 

Most big free agent contracts don’t play out for the life of the deal.   The player gets cut before the contract is finished.  That happens more times than not.  

2 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Baker actually helps us here, whether he is a Colt or not. His dissatisfaction might amplify the possibility of a low draft pick cost trade for us.

If Watson goes to Panthers, I anticipate this happening:

Baker to Colts for Commanders' 3rd of the Colts and future 2nd (conditional on playing time) from Colts to Browns, Jimmy G to Browns for their current 2nd rounder, and a Day 3 pick.

11 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Brady and the Bucs are cooking again.

Ali Marpet retires and Alex Kappa goes to the Bengals, Belichick helps out by trading Shaq Mason and weakening the Patriots OL to help out Tom Brady and the Bucs (while hurting Mac Jones and continuing to overpay mediocre WRs and TEs like Agholor, Bourne, Jonnu Smith) and the Bucs sign their backup OG (like our Chris Reed) who filled in well when Alex Kappa was injured in the divisional round thus replacing both their guards that they lost. 

They sign Russell Gage so that they don't have to deal with the Antonio Brown drama again for their No.3, re-sign Chris Godwin and Carlton Davis, push money to the future and are ready to roll again

3 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

This makes you wonder just how badly the Colts want Jimmy G. If they really think he is the guy to lead the team for the next few years, then this would be the time to pull the trigger. Maybe if San Francisco has their price set too high they will reconsider although I heard this morning that the Browns may now be interested in Garoppolo if they move on from Mayfield. Plus, once Watson is off the table, the teams competing for him may take a second look at Garoppolo as well. 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai 

What do you think about our moves so far? As you know, I am not a fan of the Cousins extension but the team had no other choice. Kirk's agent crafted a contract that is hard to free oneself of. I wish we had allowed his contact to expire.

So far we have acquire Harrison Phillips and Jordan Hicks, two guys to improve the defense. Is Zimmer still the head coach? :sarcasm:

I don't mind not being quiet in free agency. I don't like signing high-priced free agents (like Cousins). 

Thanks for checking with me @NFLfan, I was not following closely, just checking latest moves as new league year starts. 

Cousins contract has been bad, as I see in OTC now, I think the best they can do is to play out this season and work with him to waive the "no trade clause" next off-season and trade him to a needy team and at least get one first round pick in return. That's what I'd do, and count it as a blessing. We'll see how smart the new set of management and coaching staff are. We'll have to wait for a year for that or much more if they decide to go down the rabbit hole with him... Which is where we have been already for last 4 years. 

I take solace that this new management haven't gone on to sign a big deal with him, goodness gracious. It seems, at least to me, that they haven't bought into Cousins at all, but they're gonna play the game professionally this year due to his existing contract before they came in and the cap space the team had and the work they need to do get the roster better. I believe they'll part ways next off-season, and that's what I sense from this GM & HC. we'll still have 12.5 million dead money in that case next year '23, but that's probably the best scenario.

I'd be more interested to see what they get in return for Cousins. It's good we have him for few more years in contract or at least until 2023, because that's the way we can trade him and get even two first round picks. At this point, I'd focus on that from now onwards if I were the GM, because that's the best thing that could happen to vikings for having him in Minnesota this long. If they don't get enough returns at all, it would mean that they aren't good to be in their job, as simple as that, as I see it playing out in future. For comparison, Philly GM got first round pick and more for Bradford and Wentz each, ha ha... That's a great GM in terms of how they could make great returns out of worse situations. 

I see Anthony Barr not in vikings roster as per OTC, looks like I may have missed the related news. That's good news actually. Cutting Michael Pierce is OK. Tyler Conklin, OK too. 

I'm very glad we got Jordan Hicks and Harrison Phillips, they're my very favorite players for years now, I was very surprised when I read few hours ago thatwe got them. I was in Philly when Chip Kelly drafted Hicks, and he's so intelligent and everywhere on the field, he can play lot of positions and schemes. We won't miss Barr as long as we have Kendricks too. Do we still have Nick Vigil? Phillips is awesome in run defense, I believe, PFF ranks him highly I guess. So it looks like current management is trying to get better at stopping the run on defense, which sounds like a good sign to me. 

I hope Hunter and Christian Darrisaw stay healthy this year and play to their potential. I'll check other moves, reply later, gotta go. Let me know how you feel so far, I need to catch up with league news, I've not been able to pay close attention so far.

I'm happy for Russell Wilson, I thought I'd only believe in Brady retirement news, even if he announces it, only if the regular season starts and he's not in any of the roster. Until then there's always a chance he's wanna keep playing, ha ha, good to see.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Baker actually helps us here, whether he is a Colt or not. His dissatisfaction might amplify the possibility of a low draft pick cost trade for us.

If Watson goes to Panthers, I anticipate this happening:

Baker to Colts for Commanders' 3rd of the Colts and future 2nd (conditional on playing time) from Colts to Browns, Jimmy G to Browns for their current 2nd rounder, and a Day 3 pick.

I just cant get behind Baker

He had an amazing and deep team around HIM last year

They had a much more complete team than the Colts did

They didnt make the playoffs

I hope they dont go that way

34 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Thanks for checking with me @NFLfan, I was not following closely, just checking latest moves as new league year starts. 

Cousins contract has been bad, as I see in OTC now, I think the best they can do is to play out this season and work with him to waive the "no trade clause" next off-season and trade him to a needy team and at least get one first round pick in return. That's what I'd do, and count it as a blessing. We'll see how smart the new set of management and coaching staff are. We'll have to wait for a year for that or much more if they decide to go down the rabbit hole with him... Which is where we have been already for last 4 years. 

I take solace that this new management haven't gone on to sign a big deal with him, goodness gracious. It seems, at least to me, that they haven't bought into Cousins at all, but they're gonna play the game professionally this year due to his existing contract before they came in and the cap space the team had and the work they need to do get the roster better. I believe they'll part ways next off-season, and that's what I sense from this GM & HC. we'll still have 12.5 million dead money in that case next year '23, but that's probably the best scenario.

I'd be more interested to see what they get in return for Cousins. It's good we have him for few more years in contract or at least until 2023, because that's the way we can trade him and get even two first round picks. At this point, I'd focus on that from now onwards if I were the GM, because that's the best thing that could happen to vikings for having him in Minnesota this long. If they don't get enough returns at all, it would mean that they aren't good to be in their job, as simple as that, as I see it playing out in future. For comparison, Philly GM got first round pick and more for Bradford and Wentz each, ha ha... That's a great GM in terms of how they could make great returns out of worse situations. 

I see Anthony Barr not in vikings roster as per OTC, looks like I may have missed the related news. That's good news actually. Cutting Michael Pierce is OK. Tyler Conklin, OK too. 

I'm very glad we got Jordan Hicks and Harrison Phillips, they're my very favorite players for years now, I was very surprised when I read few hours ago thatwe got them. I was in Philly when Chip Kelly drafted Hicks, and he's so intelligent and everywhere on the field, he can play lot of positions and schemes. We won't miss Barr as long as we have Kendricks too. Do we still have Nick Vigil? Phillips is awesome in run defense, I believe, PFF ranks him highly I guess. So it looks like current management is trying to get better at stopping the run on defense, which sounds like a good sign to me. 

I hope Hunter and Christian Darrisaw stay healthy this year and play to their potential. I'll check other moves, reply later, gotta go. Let me know how you feel so far, I need to catch up with league news, I've not been able to pay close attention so far.

I'm happy for Russell Wilson, I thought I'd only believe in Brady retirement news, even if he announces it, only if the regular season starts and he's not in any of the roster. Until then there's always a chance he's wanna keep playing, ha ha, good to see.. 

I will reply in detail later. I'm going back to work in a little while.

Barr is gone? I did not realize that. As long as we have Kendricks, I won't be upset about the LBs. I have not heard any news about Vigil.

Yes, Pierce was cut. He did nothing for us.

Conklin signed with the Jets. Cousins seemed to like Conklin a lot. We signed a TE but I am not familiar with him.

It is too bad no one wants Cousins. I was hoping for an "Osweiler to the Browns"-type deal. We will not win anything until we free ourselves of Cousins. 

Keep me informed. Be well.

17 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Casey Hayward to Falcons.

This is why I don't ever give Ballard the benefit of the doubt. One step forward, two steps backward. Gets Yannick, and there's rumors we like Hayward for Gus Bradley's scheme, he would be a nice replacement for Rock, and he was inexpensive, and we don't get him. This was the CB that had experience with our scheme and DC already, and all he cost was money. I know Ballard normally does a bad job in FA, but this aggravates me after the trade since we could of signed him without much dropoff to Rock and would of had two players that fit Bradley's scheme, and Ballard didn't do it.

Not like Hayward is a WR where we are waiting on a QB to get offensive players. Bradley and Yannick should of been an easy sell to Hayward to come here. If we can't convince anyone to sign, this is becoming a Ballard problem and no one else. He is making this team an unattractive destination with his decisions. No QB and a cheap GM = No FA's.

24 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Casey Hayward to Falcons.

only one thing could break Casey Hayward and Gus Bradley's connection... and that's Chris Ballard's arm-length requirement for CBs... Hayward is short armed at 30 1/4" 

• Thanks 1