Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl LVI Gameday discussion thread

ColtsGermany

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Oh yeah. I'm talking about this situation. Time was running out and if they don't make it, it is over.

It is too bad. Their kicker would have tied the game if they did not score a TD. 

Hey, the record of most FGs in a postseason is tied between McPherson and Adam Vinatieri. Deep down, I didn’t want Vinatieri to lose that record. :) 

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Yeah, you could've made the case for Aaron Donald (2 sacks & 2 orher TFL) but Kupp continuing to get it done after OBJ went done makes him the logical choice.

Yes, agreed. Years and years of following Matthew Stafford with the lions in the fourth quarter in fantasy football, I know that dude balls out in fourth quarters. Von Miller won’t be back, OBJ no, Ramsey may not be back, Dante Folwer Jr. may not be back, so I’m personally happy Stafford cashed in a big way.

Just now, #12. said:

Selfishly, looking at the Colts moving forward, I'm glad the Bengals lost and Burrow got humbled a bit. The AFC is still as wide open as it's been in years.

Unfortunately, that's  only gonna make him hungrier and he's  got a good, young supporting cast - I'm glad we're not in his division!

19 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

A night he will NEVER forget. And his baby

Jefferson doesn’t have IT. On that INT from Stafford he expected his WR to at least fight for the ball before the half. Jefferson did not.

You saw how OBJ and Kupp were running through the Bengals zone D constantly. Once OBJ went down the game definitely swung in the Bengals favor. 

You need 2 very good WRs to win in the NFL, IMO.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Jefferson doesn’t have IT. On that INT from Stafford he expected his WR to at least fight for the ball before the half. Jefferson did not.

You saw how OBJ and Kupp were running through the Bengals zone D constantly. Once OBJ went down the game definitely swung in the Bengals favor. 

Van Jefferson is miles better than every receiver not named Pittman on the Colts

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Van Jefferson is miles better than every receiver not named Pittman on the Colts

That's why I don't want to get rid of Wentz - just give him 1 other reliable pass catcher (combined with JT running the rock) and this offense can be explosive.

2 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Hes a #2 at best on the Colts and a #3 on teams like The Bucs, Cowboys etc. He used to beat guys purely on talent in Florida but in the NFL, he doesn’t separate underneath nearly as much as I thought he would. Maybe he’s going to be a late bloomer, I don’t know. It’s year 2 now.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Hes a #2 at best on the Colts and a #3 on teams like The Bucs, Cowboys etc. He used to beat guys purely on talent in Florida but in the NFL, he doesn’t separate underneath nearly as much as I thought he would. Maybe he’s going to be a late bloomer, I don’t know. It’s year 2 now.

Year two behind a stacked receiving group and he had 800 yards

Year one he had Goff...

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Swann & Stallworth, Rice & Taylor, Irvin & Harper, Clayton & Duper, ect.

2 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

That was terrible play calling.

The deep 2nd & 1 shot was a bad choice.

Even if successful, it would have left almost 1 minute for LA.

Bengals won the turnover battle(2 to 0, I think) and they could have won the game, even with Goff throwing to Kupp...and handing off, for many no gains.

You could argue that Von Miller and Eric Weddle and OBJ wouldn't have joined up, without Stafford there.

Jalen Ramsey has been diving at receivers' escaping ankles since week 18, when the 49ers were running loose from him.

He may be a corner at heart, trapped in a safety's body, and Higgins got away with facemask leverage on Play 1, Half 2.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Remember when everyone said selling the future for a franchise qb was so dumb and lions won the trade and Stafford is so overrated. Nobody should be saying that now, Colts should be looking to do something similar for Rogers or Wikson.

I agree and I wanted Stafford, people can go back and look at my posts. I was so pumped up at the possibility we could get Matt. This even makes it worse now. I wanted either Rivers to come back or Matt here and have at least 10 posts that back that up The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Somewhat disinterested in this game. I guess I’m glad carpetbagging Kroenke won over our divisional rival Bengals. 
Jimbo seemed to be tweeting and reminiscing about the Colts - Rams trade in 1972. All I can say about that is that made me about as happy as Peter Angelo’s owning the Baltimore Orioles ! 

4 hours ago, waterdog said:

Do not concur - even if completed, it would not be a scoring play but it would've put the Bengals in easy range for the tying field goal, with less than a minute remaining.

You could argue that Von Miller and Eric Weddle and OBJ wouldn't have joined up, without Stafford there.

I think Weddle would've, the Rams were the last team he played for and he still knew their scheme.

Higgins got away with facemask leverage on Play 1, Half 2.

He definitely did, and it was blatant! I'm surprised that it wasn't called, and it punctuates the fact that coaches should be able to challenge uncalled but obvious game-changing penalties.

I watched parts of the 3rd qtr. and parts of the 4th. One thing I noticed was in the 3rd qtr. there were 2 plays where the Rams blitzed number 50. BOTH plays resulted in sacks. Donald got the first one and Number 50 got the second one. Number 50 was Ernest Jones, who is nowhere near the caliber of player Leonard is. So of course  I've been wondering why we NEVER blitz Leonard. The Rams have Miller, Donald, Gaines, and Floyd and still had to BLITZ to get pressure. I hope Bradley was watching and taking notes last night!

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I watched parts of the 3rd qtr. and parts of the 4th. One thing I noticed was in the 3rd qtr. there were 2 plays where the Rams blitzed number 50. BOTH plays resulted in sacks. Donald got the first one and Number 50 got the second one. Number 50 was Ernest Jones, who is nowhere near the caliber of player Leonard is. So of course  I've been wondering why we NEVER blitz Leonard. The Rams have Miller, Donald, Gaines, and Floyd and still had to BLITZ to get pressure. I hope Bradley was watching and taking notes last night!

A look at pro football reference advanced defensive snaps, player #25 shows Leonard blitzed (never) 42 times. He totaled 0 sacks for the season and 5 total pressures. Okereke #9 blitzed 38 times, 1 sack and 3 pressures.

These seem to be rather miserble success numbers.
 Might make one believe there was some scheme issues, but i would certainly have to consider how ineffective we were from the DE position, a clear Lack of disruption, as a contributing factor. Along with how soft we were in our zones, especially over the middle. 

6 hours ago, waterdog said:

My point exactly. Also, in that situation, you want to move the chains. It is 2nd and 1. Why throw the deep pass? Get the first down, and get 4 more downs to move towards a FG or TD and leave little or no time for Rams to score again in regulation. Instead, the Bengals don't get any farther and lose the game. 

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Remember when everyone said selling the future for a franchise qb was so dumb and lions won the trade and Stafford is so overrated. Nobody should be saying that now, Colts should be looking to do something similar for Rogers or Wikson.

There is not a Stafford this year. Even Mcvay admitted in a intreview that was a very rare thing to have happen.

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I agree.....sort of.  Rams fans gotta be feeling great right now and will for the next 6 months.  But the way things are looking, their team will be decimated heading into next season.  Even their coach is hinting at stepping back to raise a family, although he will likely step away for a year and then pick a contender to coach since he'll be able to go anywhere he wants.  Ecstatic for Stafford, but his remaining years 'could' equate to his time in Detroit.  In the meantime, the Bengals were built to last and will provide a few years of hope, fun, and likely success to their fans.  It's a tough question...one and done success, or many years of hope for success.....

40 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I agree.....sort of.  Rams fans gotta be feeling great right now and will for the next 6 months.  But the way things are looking, their team will be decimated heading into next season.  Even their coach is hinting at stepping back to raise a family, although he will likely step away for a year and then pick a contender to coach since he'll be able to go anywhere he wants.  Ecstatic for Stafford, but his remaining years 'could' equate to his time in Detroit.  In the meantime, the Bengals were built to last and will provide a few years of hope, fun, and likely success to their fans.  It's a tough question...one and done success, or many years of hope for success.....

SBs are never guaranteed. I would take a 2 for 2 with Eli Manning and the Giants with several mediocre years, over 1 SB for the Ravens in a whole decade of knocking on the door with a great D. You need the QB and the team to cash in when it matters and for that you need the quality draft picks like Justin Tuck and JPP that helped the Giants. I know there is no such thing as tanking but if you have a few mediocre years to replenish your talent from the draft with blue chippers followed by 2 or 3 years of good playoff success with a SB, I will take it any day. As much as Peyton and the top picks on offense helped with the Colts' continued success, less than stellar investment on a complete team with horrendous special teams and a bad scheme on defense that did not capitalize on Mathis and Freeney rushing the passer or investing much in stopping the run all led to playoff exits versus the better teams in the AFC.

Even the Bengals with Joe Burrow, it may or may not end up like Dan Marino's case. Marino got to one SB, lost the SB but never had a chance to go back again. So nothing is guaranteed just because you build through the draft and have a young team. You still have to make the right FA moves to take your team to the next level to compete at the elite level. 

People that hate the Yankees of this world, teams that "buy" championships like they think the Rams did, still have to admire the "no guts no glory" philosophy the Rams invested in. Broncos, once they had Peyton, went all in getting Aqib Talib, T J Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, DeMarcus Ware etc. and that D is what won the championship for them. Just like with the Giants, the Rams' D kept the Rams in the game while the QB (Eli, Stafford etc.) finished the job in the 4th quarter. QB is the No.1 piece to the puzzle even if you put together a complete team. Don't be surprised if the Rams replenish as well, as much as some here want them to fail. The feeling at the top is always lonely because everyone wants you to fail next.

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

SBs are never guaranteed. I would take a 2 for 2 with Eli Manning and the Giants with several mediocre years, over 1 SB for the Ravens in a whole decade of knocking on the door with a great D. You need the QB and the team to cash in when it matters and for that you need the quality draft picks like Justin Tuck and JPP that helped the Giants. I know there is no such thing as tanking but if you have a few mediocre years to replenish your talent from the draft with blue chippers followed by 2 or 3 years of good playoff success with a SB, I will take it any day.

Even the Bengals with Joe Burrow, it may or may not end up like Dan Marino's case. He got to one SB, lost the SB but never had a chance to go back again. So nothing is guaranteed just because you build through the draft and have a young team. You still have to make the right FA moves to take your team to the next level to compete at the elite level.

The problem with that line of thought is, in regards to the Ravens, is that you always think that is the year. You can tank, but it’s hard to be just mediocre to win one SB. 
I’m not sold on the Bengals. They have some very talented players, but each year is different based on free agency , strength of schedule, and injury. So you try to win while you can. Right now , the Bengals SB record is 0-3, and fast approaching Buffalo and Minnesota. I’m not prepared to anoint them yet. 

Archived