Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl LVI Gameday discussion thread

ColtsGermany

A different approach to team building:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/2/12/22930797/should-chris-ballard-change-his-approach-to-team-building

"The Rams are known for unloading draft picks to trade for current stars. They’ve done it with Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller, Matthew Stafford as well as many others over the years. Since McVay has been a head coach, they have made 21 trades and haven’t had a first round pick since 2016. McVay’s career record is 55-26 with a 6-3 playoff record and two Super Bowl appearances. It shows you don’t need to build completely through the draft to win."

This is an interesting philosophy. Many on here defend Ballard when he misses on a draft pick (Hooker, Wilson, Banogu, Turay, Basham, etc.) by saying that No GM bats a 1000. Of course they don't. By that admission, we over-value draft picks. Why not use them on proven NFL talent rather than taking a chance at a college kid who may nor may not pan out in the NFL? This is an interesting way of looking at things, and the Rams have shown it to work.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blitzing 42 times in 17 games is less than 3 a game, Number 50 for the rams blitzed at least twice in the 3rd qtr alone last night. Leonard blitzing a grand total of 42 times last season is (almost) never. He is the best linebacker in football, move him around, change things up, be aggressive. Soft zone never has worked and it never will. And we've played that for the past 49 seasons.

26 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The problem with that line of thought is, in regards to the Ravens, is that you always think that is the year. You can tank, but it’s hard to be just mediocre to win one SB. 
I’m not sold on the Bengals. They have some very talented players, but each year is different based on free agency , strength of schedule, and injury. So you try to win while you can. Right now , the Bengals SB record is 0-3, and fast approaching Buffalo and Minnesota. I’m not prepared to anoint them yet. 

The QB is the key. You got Flacco, you won the SB and never had a 1-and-done leading to the SB, were always in the hunt since his rookie year. That was not the case with Steve McNair or any other QBs you had. 

I still felt the Chiefs choked away a chance to be in the SB vs the Bengals. Mahomes turned into a Wentz like QB the second half while the Bengals were playing mostly the same way but executing better with a QB spy and instead of check downs or running the ball more while they dropped 8 into coverage, Mahomes held on to the ball too long and bad things happened. It also reminded me of the early Peyton Manning days when the Colts did not run the ball and Peyton got pass happy in the playoffs. Another PM, same results, except with more sandlot highlights. :) 

Bengals were gritty all along and Mahomes did not have the mental fortitude that Burrow had. In other words, I am not as sold on the Bengals as a team (still believe Chiefs were a better team but the better team doesn't always win) but very much sold on Burrow, the QB. 

17 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

A different approach to team building:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/2/12/22930797/should-chris-ballard-change-his-approach-to-team-building

"The Rams are known for unloading draft picks to trade for current stars. They’ve done it with Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller, Matthew Stafford as well as many others over the years. Since McVay has been a head coach, they have made 21 trades and haven’t had a first round pick since 2016. McVay’s career record is 55-26 with a 6-3 playoff record and two Super Bowl appearances. It shows you don’t need to build completely through the draft to win."

This is an interesting philosophy. Many on here defend Ballard when he misses on a draft pick (Hooker, Wilson, Banogu, Turay, Basham, etc.) by saying that No GM bats a 1000. Of course they don't. By that admission, we over-value draft picks. Why not use them on proven NFL talent rather than taking a chance at a college kid who may nor may not pan out in the NFL? This is an interesting way of looking at things, and the Rams have shown it to work.

Let us not forget - Gronk and Antonio Brown, on top of Mike Evans and Chris Godwin, plus pass rushers like JPP and Shaq Barrett is basically what won the SB for the Bucs. Gronk and AB came on board because of Brady. Both Brady and Stafford got the star cast they needed on offense and defense to win the SB the last 2 years (more on offense for Brady, more on defense for Stafford, IMO). Those teams just needed that elite QB to make key plays in key moments to win the SB.

My :2c:

I was irritated that the officials waited until the final 2 minutes of the game to throw :flag:

They set the tone early on  that they were just letting them play. 

Quite frankly, both teams got away with some "non-calls" during the course of the game.

Just unfortunate for the Bengals to have those costly penalties when the game was on the line.

7 minutes ago, Gramz said:

My :2c:

I was irritated that the officials waited until the final 2 minutes of the game to throw :flag:

They set the tone early on  that they were just letting them play. 

Quite frankly, both teams got away with some "non-calls" during the course of the game.

Just unfortunate for the Bengals to have those costly penalties when the game was on the line.

It was even. The blatant non-call on the Ramsey facemask led to a 75 yard TD play. After the PI call that gave the Rams a first down, the Rams still had to go several more plays to score a TD with 2 more penalties by the Bengals (unnecessary roughness and another holding). 

It would hurt more for you because you wanted the Bengals to win badly, so I understand. :) 

If anything, the team that overcame more adversity was the Rams with losing OBJ and Higbee, with Stafford's ankle rolled over, and the fluky INT of Stafford because his WR couldn't just hold on to the ball that was right in his hands, and despite that, Stafford showed mental fortitude to take them down the field that drive, threading the needle on several throws to Kupp.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It was even. The blatant non-call on the Ramsey facemask led to a 75 yard TD play. After the PI call that gave the Rams a first down, the Rams still had to go several more plays to score a TD with 2 more penalties by the Bengals (unnecessary roughness and another holding). 

It would hurt more for you because you wanted the Bengals to win badly, so I understand. :) 

If anything, the team that overcame more adversity was the Rams with losing OBJ and Higbee, with Stafford's ankle rolled over, and the fluky INT of Stafford because his WR couldn't just hold on to the ball that was right in his hands, and despite that, Stafford showed mental fortitude to take them down the field that drive, threading the needle on several throws to Kupp.

Maybe.   idk.

If you're gonna let them play....let them play..

If you're gonna call penalties, call penalties all game, not just final two minutes.

That's what I'm saying..

And honestly, I was okay with either team winning as I stated at the start of the game.  My grandkids are Bengals Fans and I'm a huge fan of Andrew Whitworth..

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The QB is the key. You got Flacco, you won the SB and never had a 1-and-done leading to the SB, were always in the hunt since his rookie year. That was not the case with Steve McNair or any other QBs you had. 

I still felt the Chiefs choked away a chance to be in the SB vs the Bengals. Mahomes turned into a Wentz like QB the second half while the Bengals were playing mostly the same way but executing better with a QB spy and instead of check downs or running the ball more while they dropped 8 into coverage, Mahomes held on to the ball too long and bad things happened. It also reminded me of the early Peyton Manning days when the Colts did not run the ball and Peyton got pass happy in the playoffs. Another PM, same results, except with more sandlot highlights. :) 

Bengals were gritty all along and Mahomes did not have the mental fortitude that Burrow had. In other words, I am not as sold on the Bengals as a team (still believe Chiefs were a better team but the better team doesn't always win) but very much sold on Burrow, the QB. 

Mahomes reverted back to hero ball instead of playing how he played in the first half. Plus Reid and the Oc didn’t put Tyreek in the best positions to get going. Reverses, lining up in the backfield, screens, zone crushes, etc.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

SBs are never guaranteed. I would take a 2 for 2 with Eli Manning and the Giants with several mediocre years, over 1 SB for the Ravens in a whole decade of knocking on the door with a great D. You need the QB and the team to cash in when it matters and for that you need the quality draft picks like Justin Tuck and JPP that helped the Giants. I know there is no such thing as tanking but if you have a few mediocre years to replenish your talent from the draft with blue chippers followed by 2 or 3 years of good playoff success with a SB, I will take it any day. As much as Peyton and the top picks on offense helped with the Colts' continued success, less than stellar investment on a complete team with horrendous special teams and a bad scheme on defense that did not capitalize on Mathis and Freeney rushing the passer or investing much in stopping the run all led to playoff exits versus the better teams in the AFC.

Even the Bengals with Joe Burrow, it may or may not end up like Dan Marino's case. Marino got to one SB, lost the SB but never had a chance to go back again. So nothing is guaranteed just because you build through the draft and have a young team. You still have to make the right FA moves to take your team to the next level to compete at the elite level. 

People that hate the Yankees of this world, teams that "buy" championships like they think the Rams did, still have to admire the "no guts no glory" philosophy the Rams invested in. Broncos, once they had Peyton, went all in getting Aqib Talib, T J Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, DeMarcus Ware etc. and that D is what won the championship for them. Just like with the Giants, the Rams' D kept the Rams in the game while the QB (Eli, Stafford etc.) finished the job in the 4th quarter. QB is the No.1 piece to the puzzle even if you put together a complete team. Don't be surprised if the Rams replenish as well, as much as some here want them to fail. The feeling at the top is always lonely because everyone wants you to fail next.

No disagreement here.  But I will say that even though we only got one SB with Manning, I don't feel cheated.  That was an incredible era to be a Colts fan.  Game day was always exciting and you always felt you were going to win.  I haven't felt that way in quite a while with the Colts (was getting there with Luck, but then....).  

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think the major reason the Ravens didn’t win more Super Bowls pre- Flacco, was definitely lack of a QB. You are correct, many years of great defenses were wasted. 
You guys have been very lucky to have Manning and Luck. You are kind of running into the same problems the Ravens had, as the Colts have a lot of talent , and a questionable QB in Wentz.  The Rivers and Wentz deals do remind me of us bringing in McNair. 
I don’t have all the answers , but I can tell you it’s brutal when you don’t have a top of the line QB. 

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is brutal. With it being same knee his career might be over.

OBJ is retiring, good time to go.

Whitworth, OBJ, and if Ramsey doesn't retire after being burned by the young wideouts and Mike Evans lately, he should be let go.

50 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This throw is crazy good.

Yep. Reminded me of some serious heat on low throws Brady would throw to Edelman in traffic and magically would land in Edelman's hands in stride. Serious chemistry there between Stafford and Kupp.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. Reminded me of some serious heat on low throws Brady would throw to Edelman in traffic and magically would land in Edelman's hands in stride. Serious chemistry there between Stafford and Kupp.

Amazing to have that much trust after only a year to throw it to a spot like that. Not many QB are good at anticipation like that.

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

My point exactly. Also, in that situation, you want to move the chains. It is 2nd and 1. Why throw the deep pass? Get the first down, and get 4 more downs to move towards a FG or TD and leave little or no time for Rams to score again in regulation. Instead, the Bengals don't get any farther and lose the game. 

Why throw the deep pass?

I don't know, because 3 receivers were to Burrows' left, all 3 evenly spaced on the 45 yard line, 4 yards beyond the 'line to gain', with only 1 Ram defender beyond them. Burrows looked left, and then launched right, towards only 1 receiver running towards 2 Ram defenders.

Throwing left to 1 of the 3 receivers probably would have worked, and then 4 more downs could have at least put MacPherson into range(and he was apparently hitting from 65 yards pregame. Field goal drama may have been better TV than a TD.

A designed QB run ofen helps in that area, but Burrows' right knee may have been hurt...apparently not injured.

For those claiming the LA gamble worked...yes, barely, helped by a 3rd and goal 'holding' call and a drop by Jakwarsky Tartt that I could have caught.

With sunny 75 degrees yesterday, LA would have scored more points with Goff.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Amazing to have that much trust after only a year to throw it to a spot like that. Not many QB are good at anticipation like that.

That is why Stafford hinted a lot of hard work went into it. I believe him. It was fun to see the results of the Peyton-Harrison combo when all their hard work in practice paid off on the field. Let us see how Kupp does next year. 2 years in a row prior to this, he went on season ending IR in the middle of the season and showed us what he could do if healthy for a whole year.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It turns out, Stafford has been doing this before too, who would have known?? :) 

Archived