Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interviewing Schwartz for DC

JediXMan

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be on board with this one. His scheme and playcalling has always seemed solid, but nothing too special. He's been a HC before, seems to realize that wasn't for him, and is getting towards the end of his coaching career, so I don't think we'd have to worry about him leaving for a HC job. There are some concerns that his scheme is very much the same "bend, but don't break" that we already had, so that does give me some pause. Part of me would prefer to bring in someone with a fresh perspective and new ideas, but Schwartz isn't the worst we could do.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Why? I have seen enough of that guy throughout many years and see hiring him as a mistake.

To an extent I agree that once he decides to blitz elite QBs, he doesn’t make adjustments when they kill the blitz consistently. Eagles won the SB despite Brady throwing for 400 plus yards and 3 TDs and mainly because of Foles and Eagles offense scoring 41 points 

Will need better interior guys and man corners to run his D

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To an extent I agree that once he decides to blitz elite QBs, he doesn’t make adjustments when they kill the blitz consistently. Eagles won the SB despite Brady throwing for 400 plus yards and 3 TDs and mainly because of Foles and Eagles offense scoring 41 points 

Titans were really good at rushing with just 4 this year. We just need a better pass rush,

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Rodgers is a really good man corner. I think if rock is given a chance he might be better at it too. But a good DC will adjust to personell.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Why? I have seen enough of that guy throughout many years and see hiring him as a mistake.

Elaborate? Maybe explain your reasoning so we can understand your view. He clearly has the best resume of anyone available. My guess is you won't be happy with whoever we hire.

13 minutes ago, life long said:

Elaborate? Maybe explain your reasoning so we can understand your view. He clearly has the best resume of anyone available. My guess is you won't be happy with whoever we hire.

I’d like to someone like Greg Williams (not him specifically)  to run a very aggressive defense and not a passive scheme. 

People on this forum: Cullen? The team with the worst Record in the league? No tks.

Same people: Schwartz? The team with the best record in AFC and put a show on divisional on defense? No tks

Some guys here must be so special..

Would Love Schwartz, more agressive, more blitz, more stunts, more man.

No idea how we are going to be playing that complex man heavy scheme when we have been building the most simplistic front with little to not blitzing and heavy zone reliance over the last 5 years? 

Not that I mind it... I probably prefer it to what we've been running so far, but... you  have to actually have the personnel to do it. If we do it I imagine we will need to spend heavy resources on faster and better man-corners. Maybe more athletic FS... hm... someone like... Hooker? 

15 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

People on this forum: Cullen? The team with the worst Record in the league? No tks.

Same people: Schwartz? The team with the best record in AFC and put a show on divisional on defense? No tks

Some guys here must be so special..

Would Love Schwartz, more agressive, more blitz, more stunts, more man.

Schwartz would be a good hire. 

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I could be on board with this one. His scheme and playcalling has always seemed solid, but nothing too special. He's been a HC before, seems to realize that wasn't for him, and is getting towards the end of his coaching career, so I don't think we'd have to worry about him leaving for a HC job. There are some concerns that his scheme is very much the same "bend, but don't break" that we already had, so that does give me some pause. Part of me would prefer to bring in someone with a fresh perspective and new ideas, but Schwartz isn't the worst we could do.

You're absolutely going to get a bend but don't break philosophy.  It's basically what Ballard wants and to be honest with you it's usually what you're going to see an indoor team play. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Maybe Swartz is the guy they want and he wanted those two as assistants.

Probably. 

Availability, family issues, snow storms, plane flights...dog getting sick....., all could impact what order guys get interviewed.

Schwartz would be fine IMO. My 2nd favorite guy I'd probably want behind Kris Richard (though I'm starting to like Kris Kocurek as well). My issue is that Reich is just hiring all his buddies and not necessarily the best guys for the jobs. 

Brian Baker: D-Lineman for the Colts. Reichs buddy.

Phillip Rivers: Reichs buddy in San Diego

Carson Wentz: Reichs buddy in Philly that we wasted picks on

This is just recently too. I can't even tell you how many people Reich hired because he's "friends" with them. Schwartz has a good track record, but I know he's being interviewed because he's "friends" with Reich and Reich is in charge of player personnel. So while I like the guy at first glance if we get him, I question the hire because of past results of people under the same circumstances.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

No idea how we are going to be playing that complex man heavy scheme when we have been building the most simplistic front with little to not blitzing and heavy zone reliance over the last 5 years? 

Not that I mind it... I probably prefer it to what we've been running so far, but... you  have to actually have the personnel to do it. If we do it I imagine we will need to spend heavy resources on faster and better man-corners. Maybe more athletic FS... hm... someone like... Hooker? 

Hooker - but with a brain for the game.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

You don't get much better interior guys for a 4/3 than DeFo and Grover..... Short of Aaron Donald 

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Schwartz would be fine IMO. My 2nd favorite guy I'd probably want behind Kris Richard (though I'm starting to like Kris Kocurek as well). My issue is that Reich is just hiring all his buddies and not necessarily the best guys for the jobs. 

This is just recently too. I can't even tell you how many people Reich hired because he's "friends" with them. Schwartz has a good track record, but I know he's being interviewed because he's "friends" with Reich and Reich is in charge of player personnel. So while I like the guy at first glance if we get him, I question the hire because of past results of people under the same circumstances.

So, your issue with Reich, is he's a Head coach?  They all know each other (it's a fraternity of only 32 guys any given year) and they all hire familiar people to them... Much like every other business in the world.  Sure, sometimes you bring in the wunderkind from outside your arc of influence, but that is the outlier, not the norm.... Don't act like Reich has eschewed obviously better candidates in favor of some absurd cronyism....

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Most people do hire their friends because they know what they are getting.

4 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Interesting.

Ill be surprised if it isn't Schwartz in the end, assuming he wants the job since he came for an interview...possibly with Cullen as his DC, is there a link between the two?  I think it's almost obvious that Schwartz would have been Reich's first choice when he took the HC job, had the DC contract for Flus not been signed already, and honored.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

He has a great career as a defensive coordinator. Check out his career. 

His defenses can be aggressive (which folks here have been clamoring for), and they can be good at cloaking i.e. keep QB guessing.

My biggest worry with him isn't his character issues (he's better at coordinator than HC), it's whether the personnel here currently can work with his style, and secondly how long will it take to get in the appropriate personnel given the talent needs we have on the offensive side of the ball.

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Schwartz reputation around the league is pretty well known though.  Not sure he and Reich were on a staff together more than 1 year. 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Maybe Swartz is the guy they want and he wanted those two as assistants.

Or they’re just making a thorough evaluation of many candidates with good reputations as defensive coaches. The 49ers are playing today and some guys from other teams are trying to go after HC jobs first. The Saints defensive staff may be trying to stay there.  There might be a whole slew of candidates interviewed this next week. 

Archived