Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hey Ballard Take a lesson from the Rams

boo2202

No the rams didn’t go half way in, nope they swung for the fence. Did they give up a lot yep but that organization knew that had to find a great QB to get them over the hump. Now people will say I’d never give up that much and thats laughable because by the time stafford starts to decline they’ll be past the years of no first round draft picks and can look for his replacement. 

Now with the wentz trade that’s a half way in trade (kinda scared to make a wrong decision trade). These kind of trades set you back because now you’ve wasted necessary assets needed to be as Irsay would say ALL IN! 

All in trades you know what your getting for the most part. A very proven player that has been really successful in the league. 

Lets hope irsay meant what he said ALL IN! Bringing in a proven QB for our team would get us past all this patching we’ve been trying to do. Someone like the Steelers will go all in on somebody like russ next year and compete for the next 3-5 years, why can’t it be us? 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It’s not happening.  We already made a trade and Wentz is our QB. 

Oh I know to late for that now. Just hope he learned a valuable lesson. At that position you have to be all in. Rather it’s trading up to grab your guy or trading for the guy. Can’t dip your toes in the water. 

9 minutes ago, ColtV said:

The Rams are in one of the richest cities in the country. Their revenue stream far exceeds Indy's and they can eat bad contracts as soon as needed. The Colts literally can't afford to act like the Rams.

I understand that to a degree. But we’ve handed out some big contracts lately. Irsay isn’t afraid to spend money. 

44 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

No the rams didn’t go half way in, nope they swung for the fence. Did they give up a lot yep but that organization knew that had to find a great QB to get them over the hump. Now people will say I’d never give up that much and thats laughable because by the time stafford starts to decline they’ll be past the years of no first round draft picks and can look for his replacement. 

Now with the wentz trade that’s a half way in trade (kinda scared to make a wrong decision trade). These kind of trades set you back because now you’ve wasted necessary assets needed to be as Irsay would say ALL IN! 

All in trades you know what your getting for the most part. A very proven player that has been really successful in the league. 

Lets hope irsay meant what he said ALL IN! Bringing in a proven QB for our team would get us past all this patching we’ve been trying to do. Someone like the Steelers will go all in on somebody like russ next year and compete for the next 3-5 years, why can’t it be us? 

If SF beats them for the 7th time in a row, will the trade be a success?

37 minutes ago, ColtV said:

The Rams are in one of the richest cities in the country. Their revenue stream far exceeds Indy's and they can eat bad contracts as soon as needed. The Colts literally can't afford to act like the Rams.

Two years ago we had 45 mil tied up in two QB’s. 

31 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I understand that to a degree. But we’ve handed out some big contracts lately. Irsay isn’t afraid to spend money. 

You’re correct.  This isn’t MLB where the regional TV contracts are so much different from team to team.  Irsay has plenty of dough and is willing to spend it. The next tv deal is going to be a giant windfall for all the owners. 

40 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Each team has the same salary cap.   Except for GB, ll the owners are billionaires.  The wealth of a city does nothing as far as team building.  I’ll grant that some cities my be more attractive to some players.  

The Colts could have done the same thing as the Rams.  That’s not Ballards style.  

People have such bad memories. People were clamoring for a QB move for a while. And unless Ballard makes the right decision there, he will be criticized for it. Thats pretty inevitable. 

Hitting on QB is hard to do, and I really think the Colts wanted Rivers to return for another year. When he retired you get put in a tight spot, again. It was a 2 year contract with a 1 year option. 

So who should the Colts have gone with at QB? This team is supposedly an elite QB away from being perennial contenders right? Of the available guys, other than Stafford who hasn't proven anything as of yet (doesnt mean he wont) those draft picks might not be worth it. But thats the gamble at QB that you make when you dont have your guy. You have to swing, and swing, and swing, and swing. 

Everyone here knows we were so lucky to have Peyton and Andrew. 

So spilt milk. Im not off Ballard's wagon as of yet, because every single GM would have issues finding THAT guy. 

And btw just because Stafford is doing decent with the rams has no bearing on how well he would do here. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Each team has the same salary cap.   Except for GB, ll the owners are billionaires.  The wealth of a city does nothing as far as team building.  I’ll grant that some cities my be more attractive to some players.  

The Colts could have done the same thing as the Rams.  That’s not Ballards style.  

Each team has the same cap but not the same amount of revenue. The Rams will always have more ready cash available than the Colts, and they can take advantage of that in signing bonuses for example. 

And I'm not advocating that Ballard or any Colts gm attempt it(or even the Rams as they go burning draft picks). It's a process that has been tried multiple times and has rarely led to success.

Please not the money argument again.  Irsay has more than enough money to pay what he needs to pay.  Irsay has made that clear and also made it clear he wants Ballard to spend more money than he has.  Money is not the issue for Irsay.  He would spend every last cent he had on the Colts if he had too.  

Ballard and the Colts aren’t doing this because they don’t believe in it.  Ballard wants a team that contend year in and year out not one where you mortgage for the future for a very limited window and win and eventually you fall off a cliff.  History across sports shows that approach very rarely works and teams that try it often end up paying for it for years to come long after those players are gone and window is closed.

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

How are u going to bring in a proven  qb like Russ? This team has no draft capital. The only elite players r a LB and a guard.  No one wants them in a trade. This team either goes with Wentz, SamOr a rookie.

2 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Each team has the same cap but not the same amount of revenue. The Rams will always have more ready cash available than the Colts, and they can take advantage of that in signing bonuses for example. 

And I'm not advocating that Ballard or any Colts gm attempt it(or even the Rams as they go burning draft picks). It's a process that has been tried multiple times and has rarely led to success.

Not sure where you’re getting your info.  Each team is allowed to spend the same amount, including bonuses. 

Sure the LA and NY teams may have more opportunities for players as far as getting promotional work. But did anyone have more commercials than Peyton?   So it pays to be good no matter where you play.

But as far as team building, it doesn’t matter where it’s located.  Even ground.   

17 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Signing bonuses are included in cap. Cap is finite. 

Revenue is irrelevant in terms of ability to spend. Revenue only factors in willingness to spend.

Colts were nearly maxed out last year, so willingness was not an issue (lately).

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How are u going to bring in a proven  qb like Russ? This team has no draft capital. The only elite players r a LB and a guard.  No one wants them in a trade. This team either goes with Wentz, SamOr a rookie.

Completely agree as they should. My point is when you go half way in on the QB position this is what you get. Most GM’s careers are defined on that position and Ballard put himself in a pickle with trading away what he did for wentz. That’s why so many fans are bickering. If you don’t like your options you could’ve signed a tyrod Taylor or minshew type until your sold on a guy but giving a 1st and 3rd for wentz is a half way hope I’m not wrong move. We haven’t had a first rounder two out of the past three years and still questioning at the most important position. 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Need to see how the Rams do the next few weeks before making any "hey Ballard" statements.

I like the Ram's chances though. 

I'm cheering for Cinci though. 

I’m just quoting you bc I like you.  Ballard didn’t miss on the QB.  He missed on DE and WR.  Those 4 second round picks that didn’t work out is why we aren’t in the AFC championship. We have a capable QB.  Just need to protect him, sack/pressure the other QB and give Wentz another playmaker and we are just as good as the 4 teams left 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m just quoting you bc I like you.  Ballard didn’t miss on the QB.  He missed on DE and WR.  Those 4 second round picks that didn’t work out is why we aren’t in the AFC championship. We have a capable QB.  Just need to protect him, sack/pressure the other QB and give Wentz another playmaker and we are just as good as the 4 teams left 

I don't think there's any question Wentz will be better if our OL is top 10, not bottom 3, and also no question he'll be better with a true #1 or #2 Z/slot type of WR. 

On the DE situation though, not sure it matters. We had two good DEs and a great DT last year, and we still were mediocre due to conservative scheme. Autry was a top 25 guy in pressures this season. Even if we added a great FA DE, I don't think our pass rush would look much different. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Signing bonuses are included in cap. Cap is finite. 

Revenue is irrelevant in terms of ability to spend. Revenue only factors in willingness to spend.

Colts were nearly maxed out last year, so willingness was not an issue (lately).

The signing bonus is included in the cap, but prorated over the life of the contract(ex. Darius Leonard's $20m signing bonus). But that signing bonus in real dollars is due to the player that year. The Colts, and every nfl team, is going to have a limit they can spend each fiscal year in actual salary based on their own income. My point is only that the Rams are going to have a higher dollar amount than the Colts.

The Rams are clearly doing everything to win now regardless of the cost (and you can see why they would) and are willing to burn every draft pick now and in the near future and will try to fill those roster spaces with free agents. Its going to end in disaster most likely, but they're in the NFC finals for the now. 

Ballard believes in what he believes in and I doubt he changes his approach.  That said his ways haven’t produced a team that contends year in and year out. Rather the Colts are a team that flirts with the playoffs missing them every other year. We are far from being legitimate Super Bowl contenders. You need elite QB play as this post season is making even clearer.  Cincy (Burrow), KC (Mahomes) and Buffalo (Allen) will be battling it out for the next decade as it stands right now barring any catastrophic injuries at the QB position. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard believes in what he believes in and I doubt he changes his approach.  That said his ways haven’t produced a team that contends year in and year out. Rather the Colts are a team that flirts with the playoffs missing them every other year. We are far from being legitimate Super Bowl contenders. You need elite QB play as this post season is making even clearer.  Cincy (Burrow), KC (Mahomes) and Buffalo (Allen) will be battling it out for the next decade as it stands right now barring any catastrophic injuries at the QB position. 

True. After watching the KC/buff game, it doesn’t really matter. We had our glory days with manning, some other teams turn I guess. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think there's any question Wentz will be better if our OL is top 10, not bottom 3, and also no question he'll be better with a true #1 or #2 Z/slot type of WR. 

On the DE situation though, not sure it matters. We had two good DEs and a great DT last year, and we still were mediocre due to conservative scheme. Autry was a top 25 guy in pressures this season. Even if we added a great FA DE, I don't think our pass rush would look much different. 

True on all of that.  Still if one of the DEs would of been good with Autry and Houston it could of played out much differently. 

It’s crazy how close the NFL is.  Last year and this year I believe we were a few plays away from much better results. Although it could of also gone the other way and missed the playoffs last year and had a losing record this year.  When it’s this close it makes me believe it’s just a couple playmakers is all that’s needed

21 minutes ago, ColtV said:

The signing bonus is included in the cap, but prorated over the life of the contract(ex. Darius Leonard's $20m signing bonus). But that signing bonus in real dollars is due to the player that year. The Colts, and every nfl team, is going to have a limit they can spend each fiscal year in actual salary based on their own income. My point is only that the Rams are going to have a higher dollar amount than the Colts.

The Rams are clearly doing everything to win now regardless of the cost (and you can see why they would) and are willing to burn every draft pick now and in the near future and will try to fill those roster spaces with free agents. Its going to end in disaster most likely, but they're in the NFC finals for the now. 

It's simple.

• Every team can spend the same.
  • No team can spend over the cap in a given year (plus roll over)
  • Every team must be within 89% of cap over a given 4 year period. 
  • If for instance (hypothetically) the cap was 100M every year, teams must spend at minimum 356M (89% of 4x100M), and can not spend more than 400M, over the prescribed 4 year period. 
  • The delta between 356M and 400M is 44M in that hypothetical situation, and is the only dollar amount that is truly at a team's discretion (to spend or not to spend).... If a team fails to spend 89%, that money then goes to the league... So they'd lose it anyway.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I also agree on the play calling.  I don’t want to get into that topic bc it’s the one thing I don’t think Ballard can do anything about.  Not a fan of our coaches in game decisions at all

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

True on all of that.  Still if one of the DEs would of been good with Autry and Houston it could of played out much differently. 

It’s crazy how close the NFL is.  Last year and this year I believe we were a few plays away from much better results. Although it could of also gone the other way and missed the playoffs last year and had a losing record this year.  When it’s this close it makes me believe it’s just a couple playmakers is all that’s needed

Lewis was good this year before injury, and had quality stats and grades last year in his limited snaps. 

I don't think it's really talent. It's scheme. Banogu is no doubt a bust, but his lack of development really isn't holding us back. 

Waste of a pick, but not a reason necessarily for a poor pressure %. 

I firmly believe we are a couple players, and scheme changes on both sides of the ball, away from being much better. 

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

True. After watching the KC/buff game, it doesn’t really matter. We had our glory days with manning, some other teams turn I guess. 

That’s pretty much it. Irsay just needs to face the reality that we had our era and opportunities with Manning and Luck and we got what we got to show for that.  I don’t see any Lombardi’s for us in the immediate future. Ballard won’t make the big moves necessary at this point to give us a chance at one right now.  He is convinced his approach is the right way.  For better or worse.  He still likes our receiving core for crying out loud.  When he said that I knew that he is just too stubborn to change up.  Our window will likely close in five years on the core of this defense and on J. Taylor. Running backs don’t last long in this league. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Lewis was good this year before injury, and had quality stats and grades last year in his limited snaps. 

I don't think it's really talent. It's scheme. Banogu is no doubt a bust, but his lack of development really isn't holding us back. 

Waste of a pick, but not a reason necessarily for a poor pressure %. 

I firmly believe we are a couple players, and scheme changes on both sides of the ball, away from being much better. 

I was a big fan of Lewis.  He was my pick for break out player this year. Looked like that was true until his injury. I’m betting he gets resigned but who knows if or when he will recover fully.  Another delayed gratification situation?   Still, 4 second round picks and not a single one is a starter in 4yrs, plus the misses on 2nd and 3rd from the 2017 draft with lame duck picks. That is a lot of draft capitol to take up roster spots.  

I don’t see the scheme changes coming at all. Too much history of bogus calls to think they will change.   Just hoping talent will prevail and overcome that junk. 

17 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I also agree on the play calling.  I don’t want to get into that topic bc it’s the one thing I don’t think Ballard can do anything about.  Not a fan of our coaches in game decisions at all

Ballard is the GM, so it's absolutely within his purview. 

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I was a big fan of Lewis.  He was my pick for break out player this year. Looked like that was true until his injury. I’m betting he gets resigned but who knows if or when he will recover fully.  Another delayed gratification situation?   Still, 4 second round picks and not a single one is a starter in 4yrs, plus the misses on 2nd and 3rd from the 2017 draft with lame duck picks. That is a lot of draft capitol to take up roster spots.  

I don’t see the scheme changes coming at all. Too much history of bogus calls to think they will change.   Just hoping talent will prevail and overcome that junk. 

I agree way too much delayed gratification lol.... And picking a guy (who I like though) who is coming off injury like Dayo just compounds things (from a delay standpoint). Never ever should have let both Autry and Houston go at the same time. 

Overall, on scheme, looking more and more like Flus is gone. So perhaps scheme changes are coming, at least on D. If not, we know that Reich is heavily influencing things on D (to be conservative). 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Need to see how the Rams do the next few weeks before making any "hey Ballard" statements.

I like the Ram's chances though. 

I'm cheering for Cinci though. 

I was really tired of seeing KC every year so wanted the Bills to win a big one for the city and Canadians as well lol. I guess rooting for Bengals as well really like Burrow after getting 9 sacks and still winning is just crazy. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It’s not happening.  We already made a trade and Wentz is our QB. 

We don't have the assets to trade in back to back years. The cold hard facts are we missed on Stafford and now we are set back another season. Cut Wentz, start Ehlinger and build up the weak spots as best as possible and draft a QB in 23...

Archived