Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hey Ballard Take a lesson from the Rams

boo2202

6 minutes ago, masterlock said:

It's prorated over the life of the contract UP TO 5 years.

Also, cap space can be carried over from one year to the next.  It's not lost if you don't use it.  

So, as you said, teams can go OVER the cap and prorate it.

I don't know why some people here are so worried about what we pay players.  The cap will go up, and it's easily manipulated.

The time to win is now, I hope that Ballard is going to accept that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Also, cap space can be carried over from one year to the next.  It's not lost if you don't use it.  

So, as you said, teams can go OVER the cap and prorate it.

I don't know why some people here are so worried about what we pay players.  The cap will go up, and it's easily manipulated.

The time to win is now, I hope that Ballard is going to accept that.

It will almost certainly go up, as you say. But don't forget, per the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams are required to spend 90 percent of the salary cap in cash over the three-year period of 2021 through 2023. (Normally, it's 89 percent over 4 years.) So, it's not like teams can somehow evade the constraints of the market. A higher cap is somewhat analogous to inflation: You can spend more, but so can everyone else. Ultimately, it's the scarcity of a resource that dictates the price. When it comes to TRUE franchise QBs, the market in 2022 is indeed scarce. This is not to say the next gem (Mahomes, Watson, Allen, etc.) can't be found in the draft. 

5 hours ago, masterlock said:

It will almost certainly go up, as you say. But don't forget, per the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams are required to spend 90 percent of the salary cap in cash over the three-year period of 2021 through 2023. (Normally, it's 89 percent over 4 years.) So, it's not like teams can somehow evade the constraints of the market. A higher cap is somewhat analogous to inflation: You can spend more, but so can everyone else. Ultimately, it's the scarcity of a resource that dictates the price. When it comes to TRUE franchise QBs, the market in 2022 is indeed scarce. This is not to say the next gem (Mahomes, Watson, Allen, etc.) can't be found in the draft. 

This is what I've been saying.  The cap goes up for everybody, which is a lot like it not going up for anybody.  Not exactly like it, but more like it than a lot of people think. 

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

This is what I've been saying.  The cap goes up for everybody, which is a lot like it not going up for anybody.  Not exactly like it, but more like it than a lot of people think.

I think the main beneficiaries are the players themselves, who get bigger contracts. But...the more a team spends, the more it has to recoup in revenue, which means it will eventually have to charge more for tickets, merchandise, etc.

Given the cap situation, Ballard will give Wentz one more year to prove himself. In the meantime it is only fair that Ballard sign another premiere WR and TE. This will give Wentz one offseason to work on timing and scrambling schemes.

Lewis will be resigned after Ballard's fiasco in letting Autry go. DL coach Baker has one more year to get his coaching together. I wish we had John Teerlink (God rest his soul) who developed Freeney and Mathis. The coach that always had great DL is Zimmer of Minnesota. The guy knows how to pick and coach them up to being an All Pro DL. 

One of the big things that help the Rams is having one of the best players in the NFL in Aaron Donald. He makes the defense much better overall and players around him look better because of him. 

The Rams style is very interesting and for the most part has provided winning seasons with a chance at the SB every year. In a way they are helped by star players who want a chance to win a ring and are willing to take a discount. 

Hypothetically lets say the Colts make a splash trade like the Rams and go for Rodgers. Trade a few future 1st's and a 2nd. What does that do for the Colts now? It elevates the whole team with Colts players thinking SB run. Maybe, it brings a few other free agents for a deal for a chance at a SB. ALA the Bucs.

Then again this should've happened with Rivers. 

17 hours ago, LV-FrontRow said:

One of the big things that help the Rams is having one of the best players in the NFL in Aaron Donald. He makes the defense much better overall and players around him look better because of him. 

The Rams style is very interesting and for the most part has provided winning seasons with a chance at the SB every year. In a way they are helped by star players who want a chance to win a ring and are willing to take a discount. 

Hypothetically lets say the Colts make a splash trade like the Rams and go for Rodgers. Trade a few future 1st's and a 2nd. What does that do for the Colts now? It elevates the whole team with Colts players thinking SB run. Maybe, it brings a few other free agents for a deal for a chance at a SB. ALA the Bucs.

Then again this should've happened with Rivers. 

Plus  the Rams play in LA and the Colts play in Indy. I may take a pay cut to work  in LA but not Indy...lol 

22 hours ago, masterlock said:

I think the main beneficiaries are the players themselves, who get bigger contracts. But...the more a team spends, the more it has to recoup in revenue, which means it will eventually have to charge more for tickets, merchandise, etc.

HUH?

14 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

HUH?

I'm not sure what isn't clear to you, so I'll try to connect the dots. Teams have to spend 90 percent of the salary cap. The salary will increase. There are 53 players on each roster. Therefore, the amount spent per contract goes up. Therefore NFL players make more money. The more teams spend on contracts, the more revenue they must to take in to cover expenses and make a profit. And since revenue comes from sales of tickets, merchandise, TV ads, etc., consumers wind up paying more for the product.

teams will spend more

Archived