Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

Team that are/will be looked for a new QB for 22'

Washington- Heinke

Carolina- Darnold

Denver- Bridgewater

Pittsburg- Roethlisberger

Teams that MAY bein the hunt:

Saints- Winston

Colts- Wentz

Vikings- Cousins

Giants- Brown

Teams that might listen to trade offers:

Packers- Rogers- Older player (38) but can still sling it. Cost will be very high.

Seahawks- Wilson- Some of his skills are falling off, but the Seahawks will want multiple 1st rounders.

Atlanta- Ryan- Older player, still playing well. Atlanta will still want a bunch

San Fran- Jimmy G- San Fran will ask for a #1, and might get it..

Vikings- Cousins- Good quality player, he won't be cheap..

Browns- Mayfield0- If the Browns cut him it won't be for a lot, he's struggling

Lions- Goff- I see a lot of Wentz in him, and so does a lot of others.

Texan's--Watson - The ultimate wild card. If he's cleared he'll fetch 3 1st round picks.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the other teams make their moves after free agency. We can then evaluate.

I still believe we bring a vet like Trubisky or Mariota to go behind Wentz and challenge him. If he folds like a lawn chair with all the scrutiny in 2022, we cut our losses and move on after 2022. If he gets us to the playoffs playing well, we still have 2 years of his contract we can ride.

Would be great if Ballard could work his magic and convince some team that Wentz is worth their time for a 4th rounder. The problem is it would take a coaching connection to make that happen...and the Colts have them all outside of Flip in CHI.

But trade or release Wentz, then go sign a guy like Trubisky for cheap two-year deal and draft a QB in the 2nd round. Use whatever cap savings to add in FA where you can.

Then let Trubisky and the 2nd round pick battle it out. I think the only real way out of this...trying to strike gold.

They are already out a 1st and 3rd, which is a sunk cost. However, IF they hit on a 2nd round QB, then they are out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick on a franchise QB, which is not bad at all. Just about anybody would gladly make that trade for a young franchise QB.

Or maybe Trubisky pulls a Tannehill and they get him for cheap for two years before he needs an extension. Those cheap two years would lessen the sting of losing those picks as well.

If they both fail, they aren't in much different of a position than now.

Options like Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, etc...are pipe dreams, for multiple reasons.

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Would be great if Ballard could work his magic and convince some team that Wentz is worth their time for a 4th rounder. The problem is it would take a coaching connection to make that happen...and the Colts have them all outside of Flip in CHI.

But trade or release Wentz, then go sign a guy like Trubisky for cheap two-year deal and draft a QB in the 2nd round. Use whatever cap savings to add in FA where you can.

Then let Trubisky and the 2nd round pick battle it out. I think the only real way out of this...trying to strike gold.

They are already out a 1st and 3rd, which is a sunk cost. However, IF they hit on a 2nd round QB, then they are out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick on a franchise QB, which is not bad at all. Just about anybody would gladly make that trade for a young franchise QB.

Or maybe Trubisky pulls a Tannehill and they get him for cheap for two years before he needs an extension. Those cheap two years would lessen the sting of losing those picks as well.

If they both fail, they aren't in much different of a position than now.

Options like Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, etc...are pipe dreams, for multiple reasons.

I don't think we need to do that. Wentz gave us plenty of good moments and I would not be surprised if him being on the Covid list did a slight number on him, whether he or others would admit or not. His numbers in the first 15 games were not nearly as bad as what he showed the last 2 games. That is why bringing a vet to challenge him and having a good talk with him for off season work on mechanics and working with pass catchers at all levels of the passing game (short, medium mainly) would enable us to ride him through the 2022 season.

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't think we need to do that. Wentz gave us plenty of good moments and I would not be surprised if him being on the Covid list did a slight number on him, whether he or others would admit or not. His numbers in the first 15 games were not nearly as bad as what he showed the last 2 games. That is why bringing a vet to challenge him and having a good talk with him for off season work on mechanics and working with pass catchers at all levels of the passing game (short, medium mainly) would enable us to ride him through the 2022 season.

Even with Wentz injury history its smart to have a Trubisky or Mariota on the roster and not just Ehlinger.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not entirely accurate.

Wentz only had 5 games above Average stats for a starting QB... 5 out of 17. He had several games right at average, but also several well below average and 3 that absolutely stunk. 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Team that are/will be looked for a new QB for 22'

Washington- Heinke

Carolina- Darnold

Denver- Bridgewater

Pittsburg- Roethlisberger

Teams that MAY bein the hunt:

Saints- Winston

Colts- Wentz

Vikings- Cousins

Giants- Brown

Teams that might listen to trade offers:

Packers- Rogers- Older player (38) but can still sling it. Cost will be very high.

Seahawks- Wilson- Some of his skills are falling off, but the Seahawks will want multiple 1st rounders.

Atlanta- Ryan- Older player, still playing well. Atlanta will still want a bunch

San Fran- Jimmy G- San Fran will ask for a #1, and might get it..

Vikings- Cousins- Good quality player, he won't be cheap..

Browns- Mayfield0- If the Browns cut him it won't be for a lot, he's struggling

Lions- Goff- I see a lot of Wentz in him, and so does a lot of others.

Texan's--Watson - The ultimate wild card. If he's cleared he'll fetch 3 1st round picks.

This is a very good, very thoughtful post.   Appreciate you making it.   I suspect we will all be referring to it repeatedly over the next few months. 

Thanks again.    :thmup:

:colts:

Out of that list, the most cost efficient option will be Baker Mayfield. He also has the chance to rebound his career with a fresh start. Ballard would just have to change his approach to free agency, and surround him with better weapons than we've had at the WR and TE position as of late. 

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Out of that list, the most cost efficient option will be Baker Mayfield. He also has the chance to rebound his career with a fresh start. Ballard would just have to change his approach to free agency, and surround him with better weapons than we've had at the WR and TE position as of late. 

If we can get Matt Ryan for a 2nd rounder this year and 3rd rounder next year, would you do it? Just asking. If anything, Matt Ryan is good at hitting guys in stride in the short and intermediate game. Baker was playing banged up, IMO, and they will extend him at a team friendly deal, I feel.

I still feel Wentz will be under center with several conversations had in the off season.

14 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Lets all just expect Carson to be under center in 22. Some may not want it some may but its what im expecting. 

After the things Ballard said. I can’t see any path for keeping Wentz. The local beat writer met with Irsay for 45 minutes the owner and he implied that Jim doesn’t appear to be a big Wentz fan. 

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Tell me you haven't watched him without telling me you haven't watched him

I watched him plenty. The Browns have a ton of talent all over the roster. They had huge expectations this year. Do you think it’s a good thing that he’s being run out of town?

1 minute ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I watched him plenty. The Browns have a ton of talent all over the roster. They had huge expectations this year. Do you think it’s a good thing that he’s being run out of town?

Cleveland media has stirred up lies about Baker and the team all year to the point where they've been called out on the nonsense they've put out

Baker's played with a completely torn left labrum, a fractured humerus, three dislocations of the same shoulder and a knee contusion for the majority of the season

I've watched every single snap he's played since he walked onto OU, his mechanics and footwork are off because he's hurt

He outplayed Mahomes in Week 1 and was arguably a top 8-10 QB in 2020...

2 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Cleveland media has stirred up lies about Baker and the team all year to the point where they've been called out on the nonsense they've put out

Baker's played with a completely torn left labrum, a fractured humerus, three dislocations of the same shoulder and a knee contusion for the majority of the season

I've watched every single snap he's played since he walked onto OU, his mechanics and footwork are off because he's hurt

He outplayed Mahomes in Week 1 and was arguably a top 8-10 QB in 2020...

Browns have already said he is their guy going forward.  Not worth having a discussion about.

I think Colts should go heavy 2023 and trade up for a QB. I think there are some elite level guys in 23 that could set the Colts up for the next decade. There aren't really any options im interested in over the idea of finding a young rookie in 23. 

Wilson is at the back end of his prime and Rodgers is even further down that path. All the others are avg QBs that might be slight upgrades above Wentz. So the longer this off season goes the more I want to just roll with Wentz and get our franchise guy in 2023. Is Bryce Young too much to ask for? Lol

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think Colts should go heavy 2023 and trade up for a QB. I think there are some elite level guys in 23 that could set the Colts up for the next decade. There aren't really any options im interested in over the idea of finding a young rookie in 23. 

Wilson is at the back end of his prime and Rodgers is even further down that path. All the others are avg QBs that might be slight upgrades above Wentz. So the longer this off season goes the more I want to just roll with Wentz and get our franchise guy in 2023. Is Bryce Young too much to ask for? Lol

This is another thing to consider if they went after Jimmy G. If it involved future picks it could limit them in 2023 in moving up.

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is another thing to consider if they went after Jimmy G. If it involved future picks it could limit them in 2023 in moving up.

Im hoping Ballard is thinking the same. Ballard is always a long term thinker. And it could be something hes got not that far from the front of his mind. When irsay says changes are coming, it might not be this year, but it might very well be pretty damn exciting if they can pull it off. 

I just dont think you try and make Wentz your franchise QB even if he does decent in 2022. 

Maybe just bite the bullet and roll with Wentz. As much as I can't stand to think about next season with him, we've already lost enough with this draft. You could bring in a competent backup and roll with Wentz. If things head south, bench him. But you absolutely do not  double down on poor decisions with more risky ones that jeopardize another draft. 

5 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Maybe just bite the bullet and roll with Wentz. As much as I can't stand to think about next season with him, we've already lost enough with this draft. You could bring in a competent backup and roll with Wentz. If things head south, bench him. But you absolutely do not  double down on poor decisions with more risky ones that jeopardize another draft. 

The one thing I think they would get with Jimmy is a steady hand. He doesn’t give you all the flashy plays but you know what you will get. So maybe it’s not that risky. It’s not like they are taking a project or trying to fix someone.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

SF can release him with only one million dead cap. Would they do that and let him choose where he wants to go? 

Not if so many QB needy teams are in the league and they feel they can get something in return in the form of multiple 2nd or 3rd rounders.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

The one thing I think they would get with Jimmy is a steady hand. He doesn’t give you all the flashy plays but you know what you will get. So maybe it’s not that risky. It’s not like they are taking a project or trying to fix someone.

I get that. Jimmy does have that and better awareness. But SF are going to want a first in all likelihood. Just not sure he's worth that.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

SF can release him with only one million dead cap. Would they do that and let him choose where he wants to go? 

Why do that if they can trade him?

I had hoped that SF would have traded him to the Vikes straight up for Cousins who Niners head coach Shanahan reportedly is a big fan of.  Never happened. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

Why do that if they can trade him?

I had hoped that SF would have traded him to the Vikes straight up for Cousins who Niners head coach Shanahan reportedly is a big fan of.  Never happened. 

I guess I was just thinking if their relationship is good they might do that. Or maybe take a lower pick to a team of his choice. He handled the Lance situation very well. Maybe they just have that respect. I don’t know if they would do that or not. I would think he would have a very good market if he was traded. Not sure what he would cost as far as draft picks. I think 22 or 23 is the last year of his contract. If it’s 22 that would probably cost less in draft picks.

Archived