Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Overall, not to high on overall QB performance the first week in the playoffs. 

Sure, some of have played well, but a lot aren't. 

Seriously??   This are the winning QB's except for the Dallas game.  And it wasn't too bad for Dak until he #ed it up with the time.  And it looks like Stafford will just need to hand off the rest of the game.   I'd be elated with any of those especially in the playoffs.     Hell Allen would still be throwing TD's if the game hadn't ended 

Josh Allen 21/25 308 5  0.   84% completion

Patrick Mahomes. 30/39. 404  5  1     76% completion

Tom Brady29/37  271  2  0       78% completion

Nit Picky much?

54 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Seriously??   This are the winning QB's except for the Dallas game.  And it wasn't too bad for Dak until he #ed it up with the time.  And it looks like Stafford will just need to hand off the rest of the game.   I'd be elated with any of those especially in the playoffs.     Hell Allen would still be throwing TD's if the game hadn't ended 

Josh Allen 21/25 308 5  0.   84% completion

Patrick Mahomes. 30/39. 404  5  1     76% completion

Tom Brady29/37  271  2  0       78% completion

Nit Picky much?

I said overall. I'd add in Burrow and Stafford to the above as good games. 

But that's 5 QBs out of 6 games and 12 QBs. It's the playoffs, so you'd expect better overall QB performance.

Not nit picking anything. I just have higher expectations of playoff caliber football. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I said overall. I'd add in Burrow and Stafford to the above as good games. 

But that's 5 QBs out of 6 games and 12 QBs. It's the playoffs, so you'd expect better overall QB performance.

Not nit picking anything. I just have higher expectations of playoff caliber football. 

Just mesin with ya.    

I’m starting to think that Wentz takes a pay cut to remain our QB for this year. I can see him taking a cut to $15-$18 million this year. This allows him to try to redeem himself in 2022 while giving the Colts an addition $10-$12 million to sign one or two additional free agents

On 1/15/2022 at 2:55 PM, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but I recall the comments differently, and the timing also suggestive. 

I don't recall a lot of "we want Phil back". I recall more "we'll talk and see where both parties are" type of positioning.

And it felt like both the retirement and trade happened quickly. Not saying Wentz was the day one target, but just Ballard was already looking to make a move. If as reported, Colts tried to get in the game for Stafford, that whole situation started going down even before Rivers announced. And then there's Sirianni interviewing, and being named HC about the same time as River's announcement. Just overall felt like it was pretty obvious we moved on. 

i thanks it was unanimous on this board everyone wanted Wentz.  Everyone!  Rightfully many were interested in Stafford and Brady before.  Regardless of anyone’s opinion, this team has regressed at QB.  I mentioned when Rivers retired don’t take him for granted and being in the playoffs.  Not saying Rivers is a SB QB but he’s a future Hall of Famer.  I’m sorry I really don’t think Wentz is the answer.  It should be expected this team gets to the playoffs and actually wins in the playoffs - and Wentz cannot do that 

25 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think this tweet is probably right. 

I think the tweet is probably right as well but I have to say it’s a shame the way the Indy media is treating Carson.  Just saw a headline where the Star made a comment about how Murray pulled a Wentz in last night’s game.   His new hometown newspaper piling on.   Sad for me to see.  We all saw bonehead QB play over the weekend.  They all do it.  No one is exempt from making a mistake during the pressure of a game.  Dak, Jimmy, Murray just in the last few days.  It happens.  Never thought I would see that in Indy.  Philly or NY sure but Indy?  Cynicism and hate has made its way to Indy media it appears.  Too bad.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the tweet is probably right as well but I have to say it’s a shame the way the Indy media is treating Carson.  Just saw a headline where the Star made a comment about how Murray pulled a Wentz in last night’s game.   His new hometown newspaper piling on.   Sad for me to see.  We all saw bonehead QB play over the weekend.  They all do it.  No one is exempt from making a mistake during the pressure of a game.  Dak, Jimmy, Murray just in the last few days.  It happens.  Never thought I would see that in Indy.  Philly or NY sure but Indy?  Cynicism and hate has made its way to Indy media it appears.  Too bad.

What’s dumb is Stafford did the exact same thing against the Titans.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Actually, Murray pulled a Murray. He pulled that against us and paid for it then also.

The Star is a rag, and getting worse as time goes by.

I'm hoping Frank can get Carson to change his ways, and he ends up working out. It'd be the best possible.

And I don't need him to be an elite QB. I don't want this to be about one guy, as an elite QB would suggest. I just need him to be a good, more efficient QB.

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Actually, Murray pulled a Murray. He pulled that against us and paid for it then also.

The Star is a rag, and getting worse as time goes by.

I'm hoping Frank can get Carson to change his ways, and he ends up working out. It'd be the best possible.

And I don't need him to be an elite QB. I don't want this to be about one guy, as an elite QB would suggest. I just need him to be a good, more efficient QB.

Omg I forgot about him doing that when we played him. He just got lucky and it was a safety not a int.

The thing is if the goal is to try and get a QB in draft the best thing to do is not throw more picks away for a QB. Stick with what you have and have some patience for the 23 draft.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Omg I forgot about him doing that when we played him. He just got lucky and it was a safety not a int.

The thing is if the goal is to try and get a QB in draft the best thing to do is not throw more picks away for a QB. Stick with what you have and have some patience for the 23 draft.

I don't know what they know, so I'll trust them, but I agree in principal.

What else do we not know? What they'll think of QBs available when we draft in the 2nd, or 3rd, rounds. Or, if/how Wentz responds in 2022. Or, what other opportunities arise with vets this off season. Or, what they actually think of Sam and how he develops during TC. 

In other words, I'm open to anything. I want Wentz to work out, and think he CAN. I just don't know if he will and have no option but to trust/hope they'll do what's needed.

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I don't know what they know, so I'll trust them, but I agree in principal.

What else do we not know? What they'll think of QBs available when we draft in the 2nd, or 3rd, rounds. Or, if/how Wentz responds in 2022. Or, what other opportunities arise with vets this off season. Or, what they actually think of Sam and how he develops during TC. 

In other words, I'm open to anything. I want Wentz to work out, and think he CAN. I just don't know if he will and have no option but to trust/hope they'll do what's needed.

One of the things we also have to consider is the draft the next two years not being great at QB. The last two drafts have been really good. I mean typically there really isn’t that many every draft.  I actually don’t trust them. Ballard has pretty much lost my trust by not doing what he needed to do to fix holes. He has a lot to prove to me.

13 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Guess who else did it.  Stafford against the Titans. These takes are not funny.

Guess why?  TN has the best DL in football.  They bring heat with four.  The Rams OL got destroyed.  I still remember Simmons putting two OL on skates backward into Stafford.  He did the same thing against the Colts.  People forget Q was bent over backward by Simmons and this is where he hurt his ankle.  

Having a dominate DT does not allow a QB to step up.  Having a good C and G combo helps that.  SF lost to TN because Autry and Simmons destroyed the middle of SF OL.  This is how Jimmy G got hurt and the picks followed.  

I think Jimmy G is a fine fit here at QB, but if you cannot block your best opponents DL you are in a hole.  No one on this OL including Q is worth what we are paying them in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Guess why?  TN has the best DL in football.  They bring heat with four.  The Rams OL got destroyed.  I still remember Simmons putting two OL on skates backward into Stafford.  He did the same thing against the Colts.  People forget Q was bent over backward by Simmons and this is where he hurt his ankle.  

Having a dominate DT does not allow a QB to step up.  Having a good C and G combo helps that.  SF lost to TN because Autry and Simmons destroyed the middle of SF OL.  This is how Jimmy G got hurt and the picks followed.  

I think Jimmy G is a fine fit here at QB, but if you cannot block your best opponents DL you are in a hole.  No one on this OL including Q is worth what we are paying them in my opinion. 

So. Dumb is dumb.

28 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

One of the things we also have to consider is the draft the next two years not being great at QB. The last two drafts have been really good. I mean typically there really isn’t that many every draft.  I actually don’t trust them. Ballard has pretty much lost my trust by not doing what he needed to do to fix holes. He has a lot to prove to me.

I think they need to hold each other, and themselves, in check, but I trust them. I have no choice right now, and that doesn't change even if the actors change.

Also, keep in mind that Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder. Yep, he needed a couple of years to develop (raised the good old fashioned way), but these guys don't have to come from the top of the first. 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, strt182 said:

Lets all just expect Carson to be under center in 22. Some may not want it some may but its what im expecting. 

Yes, the odds are moderately better than not that he will be under center in 2022. And that's only because of the calculus the current QB market. There just aren't any upgrades at the QB position that would be both clearly better AND feasible from a compensation standpoint. Lacking a 1st rounder, the Colts would be outbid by other teams. I wish it could be otherwise.  But we're going to have to wait until 2023 for a major change.

21 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I think they need to hold each other, and themselves, in check, but I trust them. I have no choice right now, and that doesn't change even if the actors change.

Also, keep in mind that Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder. Yep, he needed a couple of years to develop (raised the good old fashioned way), but these guys don't have to come from the top of the first. 

The fact he was still raving about Eberflus and all the assistants just lost my trust.

31 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The fact he was still raving about Eberflus and all the assistants just lost my trust.

O.K., but you also didn't like how he expressed himself about Carson, so maybe it's just the inconsistency you don't like(?)

Otherwise, you gotta understand one, or the other. Both shouldn't be bothersome.

31 minutes ago, buccolts said:

O.K., but you also didn't like how he expressed himself about Carson, so maybe it's just the inconsistency you don't like(?)

Otherwise, you gotta understand one, or the other. Both shouldn't be bothersome.

There is a good happy medium. You don’t have to go all out praising people and you don’t have to trash them either.

11 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Part of me says there are no other options at QB so Wentz will be the starter in 22.

and

Part of me says after Frank and Ballard didn't even give him the courtesy of coach speak when talking about him for next year so how can they bring him back.

Yep. It’s so weird. Someone mentioned he didn’t do a season ending presser either. All our stars did one on Monday or Tuesday. It’s like they wouldn’t let him do one. It’s almost like Irsay said get this guy out of here. BTW I don’t think he did that but that’s the feeling. But why do you talk about him like that without having another QB in mind. No way he can be happy with the public humiliation. That stuff should of been left to private conversations.

Mayfield intrigues me, I feel like he could be turned around. But I think the Browns want to give him one more shot. I also like signing Heinicke as a backup to challenge Wentz if he’s a FA. Heinicke has the grit and leadership a lot of QBs don’t. Everyone else outside of Rodgers, Wilson, and maybe Carr is no better than Wentz and not worth our time IMO

On 1/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, ColtJax said:

Team that are/will be looked for a new QB for 22'

Washington- Heinke

Carolina- Darnold

Denver- Bridgewater

Pittsburg- Roethlisberger

Teams that MAY bein the hunt:

Saints- Winston

Colts- Wentz

Vikings- Cousins

Giants- Brown

Teams that might listen to trade offers:

Packers- Rogers- Older player (38) but can still sling it. Cost will be very high.

Seahawks- Wilson- Some of his skills are falling off, but the Seahawks will want multiple 1st rounders.

Atlanta- Ryan- Older player, still playing well. Atlanta will still want a bunch

San Fran- Jimmy G- San Fran will ask for a #1, and might get it..

Vikings- Cousins- Good quality player, he won't be cheap..

Browns- Mayfield0- If the Browns cut him it won't be for a lot, he's struggling

Lions- Goff- I see a lot of Wentz in him, and so does a lot of others.

Texan's--Watson - The ultimate wild card. If he's cleared he'll fetch 3 1st round picks.

Isn’t Watson dealing with some legal issues. No thanks

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yep. It’s so weird. Someone mentioned he didn’t do a season ending presser either. All our stars did one on Monday or Tuesday. It’s like they wouldn’t let him do one. It’s almost like Irsay said get this guy out of here. BTW I don’t think he did that but that’s the feeling. But why do you talk about him like that without having another QB in mind. No way he can be happy with the public humiliation. That stuff should of been left to private conversations.

We all like Ballard's straight forwardness but something like this is head scratching.  Almost like he has painted himself in the corner and he has to cut Wentz and just take whatever else is out there.  

Like it isn't difficult to say "Wentz is under contract for next season so we fully expect him to be back and starting for the Colts.  Was he perfect this year?  No Can he improve?  Of course.  We hope with a normal offseason and training camp we will have enough time to correct some issues to get him where he needs to be for us to compete next season."  

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Great post and I think your right on.  I do think Irsay said get him out of here. That’s a very strong possibility. But is there anything any better that’s so able.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

In all fairness the pick Jimmy G threw against Dallas is just a weekly occurrence at this point, I don’t think anyone was surprised by that

Archived