Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He had some bad throws in that Titans game and other games but so did Wentz and like many QB's have had that aren't considered very good or great. Having said that he is a proven winner, look at his W/L record and he got the 49ers to a SB by being like a Tannehill basically. If the 49ers want to role with Lance I would gladly roll with Jimmy G, the 49ers thrive on their run game. He would fit our offense perfect IMO.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He had some bad throws in that Titans game and other games but so did Wentz and like many QB's have had that aren't considered very good or great. Having said that he is a proven winner, look at his W/L record and he got the 49ers to a SB by being like a Tannehill basically. If the 49ers want to role with Lance I would gladly roll with Jimmy G, the 49ers thrive on their run game. He would fit our offense perfect IMO.

Jimmy G hurt his hand and tore ligaments in that game. It can’t came  before the bad throws.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He the type of QB that takes the layups, never really seen him play hero ball.

Our offense would be very similiar to when we had Rivers. Lots of middle of the field throws in the 20-25 yard range. Then like you said he gets the ball out quick and he would have no issue hitting Hines and Taylor on the checkdown. He needs a TE though.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Our offense would be very similiar to when we had Rivers. Lots of middle of the field throws in the 20-25 yard range. Then like you said he gets the ball out quick and he would have no issue hitting Hines and Taylor on the checkdown.

The one thing he is on Rivers is he is a lot younger. I wish we could've got Rivers 5 years ago.

i really think IF Carson does what he should and is supposed to this off season I think we see a much improved Carson in 22. The talent is there we have seen it. Its been proven you can teach an old dog new tricks IF they are willing to learn.  

This is how the bills got Allen. This can’t happen this year but can in 2023. They knew Allen would take a couple years  to develop so they didn’t mind giving up some players and picks. In the time it took Allen to develop they rebuilt the positions they lost. It’s not a bad strategy for the long term gain. Yes it might be a year or two to get to where you want to be but it got them over the hump. Ballard needs to do something like this. They were a playoff team when they did this,

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-trades-to-draft-josh-allen-cost-two-players-six-picks-heres-what-happened-to/article_2d6dde8a-9e5c-11eb-9bf7-ef9be770a15f.html#origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&cap=swipe,education&webview=1&dialog=1&viewport=natural&visibilityState=inactive&prerenderSize=1&viewerUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Famp%2Fs%2Fbuffalonews-com.cdn.ampproject.org%2Fc%2Fs%2Fbuffalonews.com%2Fsports%2Fbills%2Fbills-trades-to-draft-josh-allen-cost-two-players-six-picks-heres-what-happened-to%2Farticle_2d6dde8a-9e5c-11eb-9bf7-ef9be770a15f.amp.html

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is how the bills got Allen. This can’t happen this year but can in 2023. They knew Allen would take a couple years  to develop so they didn’t mind giving up some players and picks. In the time it took Allen to develop they rebuilt the positions they lost. It’s not a bad strategy for the long term gain. Yes it might be a year or two to get to where you want to be but it got them over the hump. Ballard needs to do something like this. They were a playoff team when they did this,

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-trades-to-draft-josh-allen-cost-two-players-six-picks-heres-what-happened-to/article_2d6dde8a-9e5c-11eb-9bf7-ef9be770a15f.html#origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&cap=swipe,education&webview=1&dialog=1&viewport=natural&visibilityState=inactive&prerenderSize=1&viewerUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Famp%2Fs%2Fbuffalonews-com.cdn.ampproject.org%2Fc%2Fs%2Fbuffalonews.com%2Fsports%2Fbills%2Fbills-trades-to-draft-josh-allen-cost-two-players-six-picks-heres-what-happened-to%2Farticle_2d6dde8a-9e5c-11eb-9bf7-ef9be770a15f.amp.html

I don’t think Jim would ever go along with a plan like this with this roster.  Neither Ballard nor Reich has that much time.  Jim wants fans in the seats and two SB’s soon.  And there is absolutely no guarantee the QB he chooses turns into a franchise quarterback.  I would bet it’s Jimmy G, Wentz or another veteran before this scenario.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think Jim would ever go along with a plan like this with this roster.  Neither Ballard nor Reich has that much time.  Jim wants fans in the seats and two SB’s soon.  And there is absolutely no guarantee the QB he chooses turns into a franchise quarterback.  I would bet it’s Jimmy G, Wentz or another veteran before this scenario.

They may not have a choice. Because the only way to get that QB is to do this. If we drafted a QB I think fans understand it might take a year of two. At least we see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am even ok taking a small step back for long term success.  In that time build the defense as good as you can to give the team the best chance at winning. Get the young QB a couple TE as security blankets. Might have a little more success then we think early. I think Irsay would be ok too because he would see the light too.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They may not have a choice. Because the only way to get that QB is to do this. If we drafted a QB I think fans understand it might take a year of two. At least we see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am even ok taking a small step back for long term success.  In that time build the defense as good as you can to give the team the best chance at winning. Get the young QB a couple TE as security blankets. Might have a little more success then we think early. I think Irsay would be ok too because he would see the light too.

Your opinion I don’t see it.  Too much risk.  No guaranteed reward.  Ballard doesn’t have that much time and he knows it.   

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Ryan Kelly?  Nope.

I’m not saying it is going to happen, but it would make sense. They are about to invest more money into their Oline than any other team in the league after paying Nelson. They are going to find some low level payed guys to play at a couple spots if they want to go out and find their stud QB and pay him. Kelly makes the most sense and the Colts don’t have a ton of trade able pieces.

Obviously if you draft a QB, that will be different.

The Colts had the chance last yr in the draft to do something and they did something else because of Reich.  The Colts were a QB away from being a top 5 pick. If they packaged some picks to leapfrog the Pats at 15 and draft Jones, they'd potentially enter the offseason with an additional $25 million and cap space and their 2022 1st. 

Instead they traded the pick and the cash for Carson Wentz and Kwitty Paye. 

Because of Reich and Wentz, the sound you hear right now around town is the Colts' window slamming shut with this roster.  I think it is time for a total rebuild.  Anyone here who thinks we got a steal with Wentz is deluding themselves into more mediocrity. Reich's decision is going to cost us a first round pick and $28 million in salary in 2022 for the rights for an average QB.  The real problem with Wentz is that the Colts would have been in the playoffs in a 16 game season.  The longer the season went on the worse the story got.  That tells me Ballard has to blow it up.  

The further we get from Jax the more I think Wentz set this team back 2-3 years from contention in the AFC South

Ballard will look for another QB during the offseason, and who that is will determine if Wentz is given his walking papers. If Wentz remainsn the squad than Reich will focus totally on how to mitigate Wentz' risk poor play. Ballard will do the same by signing two LT, veteran WRs,  and veteran TE. 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Why not give Wentz a yr or two to develop in THIS offense.   He has time to work on things this off season and get a full offseason to get things down.  Also gives Frank a QB for 2 years in a row for the first time since he's been here.

There are only a handful of elite QB's in this league.   Most teams do not have one 

We do not have the resources to do anything like this without losing a  Leonard, Q, Buck, Taylor or a combination of those players.  

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

I’m not saying it is going to happen, but it would make sense. They are about to invest more money into their Oline than any other team in the league after paying Nelson. They are going to find some low level payed guys to play at a couple spots if they want to go out and find their stud QB and pay him. Kelly makes the most sense and the Colts don’t have a ton of trade able pieces.

Obviously if you draft a QB, that will be different.

Kelly absolutely makes the most sense. Pinter can handle the job.  It would clear a lot of cap space out for 2023 and 24.  It makes no sense to pay Q 20m to play Guard and pay Kelly what he’s getting paid especially needing a LT. If Q is worth $20m they shouldn’t need a center paid that much.  Trade Kelly, sign Armstead. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Kelly absolutely makes the most sense. Pinter can handle the job.  It would clear a lot of cap space out for 2023 and 24.  It makes no sense to pay Q 20m to play Guard and pay Kelly what he’s getting paid especially needing a LT. If Q is worth $20m they shouldn’t need a center paid that much.  Trade Kelly, sign Armstead. 

Hasn’t Armstead been injury prone. I read something about him not ever playing a full season.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I definitely would not want Jimmy G. Imo he's not much different than Wentz. Might as well keep Wentz another season.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I definitely would not want Jimmy G. Imo he's not much different than Wentz. Might as well keep Wentz another season.

He is much different in that he will take what is given to him. He has a very quick release. But we saw last night how he is very limited in the passing game and isn’t someone you can count on to win you games with his arm.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is much different in that he will take what is given to him. He has a very quick release. But we saw last night how he is very limited in the passing game and isn’t someone you can count on to win you games with his arm.

We definitely need better if we are going to move away from Wentz. I just don't see anyone out there that fits the bill.

31 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He played well yesterday so his price probably inched higher.  I think he is better than Wentz so it’s anybody’s guess if we try to get him.  We don’t need a top five QB to win a SB.  He already came close.  Stafford might not advance tonight and look what they paid for him.  No doubt in my mind that Reich would improve Jimmy’s game as well.  After watching Kurt’s analysis of Wentz I think I would look at Jimmy and make the move if the price wasn’t too large.  That analysis really opened my eyes to his decision making.  Tough decisions coming up for sure.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He played well yesterday so his price probably inched higher.  I think he is better than Wentz so it’s anybody’s guess if we try to get him.  We don’t need a top five QB to win a SB.  He already came close.  Stafford might not advance tonight and look what they paid for him.  No doubt in my mind that Reich would improve Jimmy’s game as well.  After watching Kurt’s analysis of Wentz I think I would look at Jimmy and make the move if the price wasn’t to large.  That analysis really opened my eyes to his decision making.  Tough decisions coming up for sure.  

The issue is he is limited. He has a much better defense. If you don’t have the lead with him your toast. The way Kyle uses his WR tells you what you need to know about his arm. Whoever trades for him will have to sign him to a extension too.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The issue is he is limited. He has a much better defense. If you don’t have the lead with him your toast. The way Kyle uses his WR tells you what you need to know about his arm. Whoever trades for him will have to sign him to a extension too.

I thought he was signed through next year.  Buckner was a different case and easy to justify.  I don’t think his cap hit is that large especially if we cut Wentz early and pick up the extra cap space.  Postpone it until we are sure.  

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I thought he was signed through next year.  Buckner was a different case and easy to justify.  I don’t think his cap hit is that large especially if we cut Wentz early and pick up the extra cap space.  Postpone it until we are sure.  

He is signed through 22. But I doubt he is just traded without a extension of some kind. Carr will be the same way.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is signed through 22. But I doubt he is just traded without a extension of some kind. Carr will be the same way.

The player has really no choice but to report and play.  The acquiring team makes the decision and extensions usually follow.  Carr’s would be easier to justify but Jimmy’s would be tougher for me.  Maybe something short and close to where he is now.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The player has really no choice but to report and play.  The acquiring team makes the decision and extensions usually follow.  Carr’s would be easier to justify but Jimmy’s would be tougher for me.  Maybe something short and close to where he is now.

I am saying a team will trade and extend.  You might be right and maybe a team doesn’t offer to do that. But I just see that most likely happening. Nothing big but maybe 2 years added on. The team that trades for him better have good running backs and TE. 

51 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Think Russ will talk about his future tonight? Denver has a ton more weapons for him to throw too and they need a QB too.

Unfortunately, for what it would cost to land Wilson, there's probably a better chance Jim talks Luck into returning.

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Jimmy G. seems like the only realistic upgrade for 2022.  Hopefully the Niners go down in Green Bay.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am going to laugh so much when Russ stays in Seattle or goes somewhere else. It’s going to be funny to watch fans that want him so bad cry. 

Yeah, have people seen some of the rumored offers for Rodgers?  

Like I said, you would have a better chance forcing Luck to watch the Jags game a few times and shaming him into coming back.  

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, have people seen some of the rumored offers for Rodgers?  

Like I said, you would have a better chance forcing Luck to watch the Jags game a few times and shaming him into coming back.  

The colts best option is get Wentz more weapons. Then look to move up in 23 draft.  Giving more draft picks up for someone else’s QB just id nuts to me. 

Then you look at Carr. If he is traded it will be a extend and trade. Not sure I am doing that for someone who hasn’t won a playoff game. 

Jimmy G is very limited. That will be a trade and extend too.

Irsay just needs to stay patient until after 22. I know it will be hard for him but that is the colts best option.

Archived