Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Would be great if Ballard could work his magic and convince some team that Wentz is worth their time for a 4th rounder. The problem is it would take a coaching connection to make that happen...and the Colts have them all outside of Flip in CHI.

But trade or release Wentz, then go sign a guy like Trubisky for cheap two-year deal and draft a QB in the 2nd round. Use whatever cap savings to add in FA where you can.

Then let Trubisky and the 2nd round pick battle it out. I think the only real way out of this...trying to strike gold.

They are already out a 1st and 3rd, which is a sunk cost. However, IF they hit on a 2nd round QB, then they are out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick on a franchise QB, which is not bad at all. Just about anybody would gladly make that trade for a young franchise QB.

Or maybe Trubisky pulls a Tannehill and they get him for cheap for two years before he needs an extension. Those cheap two years would lessen the sting of losing those picks as well.

If they both fail, they aren't in much different of a position than now.

Options like Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, etc...are pipe dreams, for multiple reasons.

Nobody is trading for Wentz thats a pipe dream just like the three top guys you mentioned

32 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That one year against a questionable team. He has disappeared more often than not this year. Especially against division rivals

Steelers won the division and were not a questionable team last year. They are, this year, IMO. The game was 35-7 or 35-0 by the half for the Browns in the wild card game vs the Steelers and no one would have predicted that score coming in.

Plus Baker and the Browns almost pulled off an upset vs the Chiefs too in the divisional round. They played really well last year in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think Colts should go heavy 2023 and trade up for a QB. I think there are some elite level guys in 23 that could set the Colts up for the next decade. There aren't really any options im interested in over the idea of finding a young rookie in 23. 

Wilson is at the back end of his prime and Rodgers is even further down that path. All the others are avg QBs that might be slight upgrades above Wentz. So the longer this off season goes the more I want to just roll with Wentz and get our franchise guy in 2023. Is Bryce Young too much to ask for? Lol

Man Young looks super talented.  He’s got a little Rodgers in him the way he makes pinpoint throws look effortless. 

I think the key for us is finding a trade partner for Wentz.  We need to hope and pray that the Packers get knocked out in their first game.  Then maybe they would take Wentz (and some picks & players of course) in a swap for Rodgers and let Carson compete with Love?  Maybe the Falcons would do a swap for Ryan?  Any other potentials?  Would Shanahan swap him with Jimmy G for a year to backup/mentor fellow Alum Lance?  How about Denver & Bridgewater?  

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think the key for us is finding a trade partner for Wentz.  We need to hope and pray that the Packers get knocked out in their first game.  Then maybe they would take Wentz (and some picks & players of course) in a swap for Rodgers and let Carson compete with Love?  Maybe the Falcons would do a swap for Ryan?  Any other potentials?  Would Shanahan swap him with Jimmy G for a year to backup/mentor fellow Alum Lance?  How about Denver & Bridgewater?  

I don’t think I would want Ryan. I really ideally want someone a little younger. Because with someone that age there is always  a possibility it’s only for a year. I am probably not making a move for someone that old so the team is not in the same position the next year. His numbers were bad this year too.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think I would want Ryan. I really ideally want someone a little younger. Because with someone that age there is always  a possibility it’s only for a year. I am probably not making a move for someone that old so the team is not in the same position the next year. His numbers were bad this year too.

Odds are we draft another young guy in a year or two regardless if it’s Ryan or Jimmy G or Bridgewater type.  We’d probably be looking to roll with Rodgers or Wilson for a few years.  Everybody else would be a 1-2 year replacement type until we could’ve in position to move for a young guy in the draft. There’s also the possibility if the right guy falls in the draft this year we go get one.

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Odds are we draft another young guy in a year or two regardless if it’s Ryan or Jimmy G or Bridgewater type.  We’d probably be looking to roll with Rodgers or Wilson for a few years.  Everybody else would be a 1-2 year replacement type until we could’ve in position to move for a young guy in the draft. There’s also the possibility if the right guy falls in the draft this year we go get one.

There is no guarantee Rodgers is going to keep playing. He was talking retirement again today. Jimmy G is only 30. Which is why I can live with him. As good as Rodgers is he is going to evaluating retirement after every season now.

I will admit I haven’t watched enough of Wilson. He has a no trade clause so no way he comes here. I don’t think he fits Reich’s system either. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Steelers won the division and were not a questionable team last year. They are, this year, IMO. The game was 35-7 or 35-0 by the half for the Browns in the wild card game vs the Steelers and no one would have predicted that score coming in.

Plus Baker and the Browns almost pulled off an upset vs the Chiefs too in the divisional round. They played really well last year in the playoffs.

Big Ben was playing questionable last year. Browns defense was good at limiting Chiefs but in the end baker couldn't do enough.  Baker is inconsistent. His second season was worse than Wentz. Then you have to question why he played significantly worse with Odell in the line up.

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Big Ben was playing questionable last year. Browns defense was good at limiting Chiefs but in the end baker couldn't do enough.  Baker is inconsistent. His second season was worse than Wentz. Then you have to question why he played significantly worse with Odell in the line up.

Everyone recently plays worse with OBJ in the line up. Did you see the last game with the Rams and 49ers? Every time OBJ was targeted, bad things happened with stalled drives or turnovers for Stafford.

Folks are just not rolling a safety towards him anymore, tells you all you need to know. If you are not on the same page with Baker, and then Stafford and was unceremoniously ditched by the Giants who invested all that money and capital in you, the problem is with you, OBJ. That is what I feel. 

I really think that Fitzmagic would be as good fit if we have to keep CW.  He would likely take the starting role pretty quick if CW continues to struggle, and for a year he would def be a serviceable QB that just might be able to bring them team a ways into the playoffs.  Not a lot of chatter about him, but he might be worth a look for the interim.

Wentz had some good raw numbers, and his cost for next year is very low followed by nothing. So it's possible a team will take him to get a cheap QB for 2022 then, if he doesn't work out, ditch him without a penalty. The Panthlers gave up a 2nd rounder plus a 4th for Darnold, the Bronco's gave up a 4th for Bridgewater. I think we could get a 3rd..

3 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Wentz had some good raw numbers, and his cost for next year is very low followed by nothing. So it's possible a team will take him to get a cheap QB for 2022 then, if he doesn't work out, ditch him without a penalty. The Panthlers gave up a 2nd rounder plus a 4th for Darnold, the Bronco's gave up a 4th for Bridgewater. I think we could get a 3rd..

Wentz will probably retire if he gets cut. It makes it look very bad if he couldn’t even make it work with Reich.

These players would be on their 5th QB with Reich. I just have to wonder how much longer they are going to stay interested in working hard for this team with the hamster wheel at QB every season and no stability.

13 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

Wentz will most likely be the QB next year, despite many of our objections.  I am unsure how they can upgrade with limited options?

I have to agree with this 1000%

I could see bringing in a low cost FA QB to compete with Wentz such as Mariota, Winston, or Trubiski, or

even Minshew (if he is cut)

Wentz was the 10th ranked QBR in the NFL last year.

Give him a full offseason and camp, Block for him, Give him some weapons.

The truth is, we really dont have many options, so build the team, and if Wentz lays an egg in 2022, you draft your QB of the future in 2023

CJ Stroud and Bryce Young will headline an excellent projected QB draft in 2023...... We can get the QB of the future then.

(If Carson lays an egg) 

My hope is that Carson improves on this years ranking, with a full camp and offseason maybe the 10th QBR ranking can go to 6th...... Then we can be thinking about other positions in the 2023 draft

That "what if" roller coaster is crazy..... IMHO...Of course anything can happen, but the ODDS would seem to be less than 5% that Carson is not on the Colts Roster in 2022

Time to buckle up

19 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Would be great if Ballard could work his magic and convince some team that Wentz is worth their time for a 4th rounder. The problem is it would take a coaching connection to make that happen...and the Colts have them all outside of Flip in CHI.

But trade or release Wentz, then go sign a guy like Trubisky for cheap two-year deal and draft a QB in the 2nd round. Use whatever cap savings to add in FA where you can.

Then let Trubisky and the 2nd round pick battle it out. I think the only real way out of this...trying to strike gold.

They are already out a 1st and 3rd, which is a sunk cost. However, IF they hit on a 2nd round QB, then they are out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick on a franchise QB, which is not bad at all. Just about anybody would gladly make that trade for a young franchise QB.

Or maybe Trubisky pulls a Tannehill and they get him for cheap for two years before he needs an extension. Those cheap two years would lessen the sting of losing those picks as well.

If they both fail, they aren't in much different of a position than now.

Options like Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, etc...are pipe dreams, for multiple reasons.

It's only a 1st round pick this year, the 3rd round pick was last year.  

6 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

It's only a 1st round pick this year, the 3rd round pick was last year.  

Last night at work, I was listening to CBS talk radio, Ryan Hickey. He is a huge Colts fan. He was going on and on about Wentz and how disappointed he was. I agree, on paper we have a top 5 team in the AFC but just fell flat on our face at the end. I almost called him but did not. I feel him though. He said unless we get someone like Russ or Rodgers, we are stuck with Wentz and have to hope for the best. There is no other huge upgrade he could think of. He did say it is possible we could get Russ or Rodgers but it would take a lot of maneuvering by Ballard. So I guess anything is possible. 

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last night at work, I was listening to CBS talk radio, Ryan Hickey. He is a huge Colts fan. He was going on and on about Wentz and how disappointed he was. I agree, on paper we have a top 5 team in the AFC but just fell flat on our face at the end. I almost called him but did not. I feel him though. He said unless we get someone like Russ or Rodgers, we are stuck with Wentz and have to hope for the best. There is no other huge upgrade he could think of. He did say it is possible we could get Russ or Rodgers but it would take a lot of maneuvering by Ballard. So I guess anything is possible. 

I think we need to focus on fixing the oline, it looked like they regressed from the prior season in pass pro.  And we need maybe a good to great wr or two to spread out the offense, so pittman isnt the only reliable reciever they can just lock down.

3 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I think we need to focus on fixing the oline, it looked like they regressed from the prior season in pass pro.  And we need maybe a good to great wr or two to spread out the offense, so pittman isnt the only reliable reciever they can just lock down.

LT is a major need. I would let Fisher walk and draft a LT. Fisher was flat out a huge glaring problem. I think Ballard needs to just needs to get involved in Free Agency more. We should get a good WR and/or TE in Free Agency. Otherwise Wentz will be the same. 

7 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

We really need a TE

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LT is a major need. I would let Fisher walk and draft a LT. Fisher was flat out a huge glaring problem. I think Ballard needs to just needs to get involved in Free Agency more. We should get a good WR and/or TE in Free Agency. Otherwise Wentz will be the same. 

Yeah I believe when Castanzo (sp?) retired, and Kelly didn't look the same.

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We really need a TE

I agree, a stopgap for 2022, and then maybe draft the TE from ND (Micheal Mayer) in 2023?  I think he can go into the draft next year (2023) if I'm not mistaken.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would agree but wonder how well we would do with a draft pick for a starting caliber left tackle

We pick middle of the round in round 2

Left tackle is a premium spot, the blue chip talent is gone early in round 1

The worst thing is to overdraft for need, unless they are BPA, AND they slide to us, it may be tough to get our starter at LT in this draft

I wonder about Pryor as our starting LT for 2022

He played really well at RT

He played decent at LT and was actually the highest graded OL player for the Colts against the raiders

Its a huge risk, but I wonder if we go that route as well as someone to develop in the draft (later pick)

or a mid tier FA

One thing to consider is Wentz could be part of the issues with Oline and Receivers regressing. If he’s not getting them in the right protections and plays pre snap because he can’t read a defense that could be causing issues too. I’m not saying it’s the problem but it definitely didn’t help. Holding onto the ball, not throwing to the right receiver and hardly ever putting the ball in a good spot for the receiver all could be part of way they took a step back. I think injuries and the Fisher disaster also played a role in it but if Reich and Ballard are seeing the things I’m referring to that could be why they are done with him. If they are actually done with him of course.  Look, I think there’s a 50 percent chance Wentz is back next year. There’s also a 50 percent chance they make a change. 

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would agree but wonder how well we would do with a draft pick for a starting caliber left tackle

We pick middle of the round in round 2

Left tackle is a premium spot, the blue chip talent is gone early in round 1

The worst thing is to overdraft for need, unless they are BPA, AND they slide to us, it may be tough to get our starter at LT in this draft

I wonder about Pryor as our starting LT for 2022

He played really well at RT

He played decent at LT and was actually the highest graded OL player for the Colts against the raiders

Its a huge risk, but I wonder if we go that route as well as someone to develop in the draft (later pick)

or a mid tier FA

I do like Pryor, he can hold his own in many games IMO.

1 minute ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

I think there’s a 50 percent chance Wentz is back next year. There’s also a 50 percent chance they make a change. 

Ultimately you may end up being right, but 50/50 seems high with the large cap hit, and no clear resolution at QB available

We just need to hang tight

If he improves even a little, and the OL blocks a little better, and our defense gets 10% more sacks / pressure, we probably win 2-3 more games this past year and go to playoffs

17 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

Wentz will most likely be the QB next year, despite many of our objections.  

I still believe the Colts retired Phil more than he retired himself.  If they were willing to move on from Phil, I see no reason, under these circumstances, they wouldn't move on from Wentz.  I doubt the picks or money will have anything to do with it.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do like Pryor, he can hold his own in many games IMO.

We traded for Pryor so Ballard obviously saw something he liked.  And he did not disappoint at all.  His acquisition reminds me of the Glow signing.  Never heard of Glow and he turns out to be a great addition and earns a second contract.  I can see Pryor getting resigned and taking the LT spot.  Not an all pro but a solid player playing next to an all pro in Q like Glow playing next to Kelly.  I think there is a good chance our future LT is already on the roster eagerly awaiting his new contract.

Archived