Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't get what your point is. IMO Tannehill looked better in Miami than Wentz looked for us for example(that's why we won't be able to get a 4th for him if we tried to trade him). Miami got rid off him and Philly got rid off Wentz. This doesn't answer the question - has Tannehill played better than Wentz since moving to the Titans? To me it's obvious he has. Especially the last 3 years. 

Tannehill without Henry mind you this year, in run heavy offense had more yards, higher yards/attempt, higher air yards per attempt, higher PFF grade, higher QBR, higher passer rating than Wentz. 

Also... what was that Colts offense? Wasn't it run heavy too? I don't even know what he was asked to do by the end. It seemed like Frank started taking the ball out of his hands more and more as the season progressed. 

I don't think you're remembering Tannehill in Miami, especially at the end. And I think if a team could trade a 4th for Wentz and only pay him $2m plus $4m potential incentives (that's what Tannehill's contract looked like in 2019), they'd do it. 

To the bolded, I know the other poster was being snarky and the comparison is clunky to begin with, but I think we need to acknowledge that Tannehill's play on Saturday was really bad, and if Wentz had thrown three picks in a game like that, fans might have been burning his jersey outside the stadium after the game. 

As for Tannehill, fewer TDs (total and %), more picks (total and %), lower passer rating (not sure what stat you saw), slightly higher QBR... aside from dumb decisions on Wentz's part, these two guys are a push in 2021, on paper.

When you watch them play -- setting aside the Titans really good defense -- the Titans run heavy play action, roll Tannehill out, give him simpler reads, and they have better weapons at WR and TE. The Colts run as much play action, but they don't move Wentz, and a lot of their play action is actually RPO, so not as simple on the reads.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think you're remembering Tannehill in Miami, especially at the end. And I think if a team could trade a 4th for Wentz and only pay him $2m plus $4m potential incentives (that's what Tannehill's contract looked like in 2019), they'd do it. 

Tannehill had some good seasons in Miami, but suffered some injuries. Not exactly sure what he did at the very end, possible he fell off considerably. 

To the bolded, I know the other poster was being snarky and the comparison is clunky to begin with, but I think we need to acknowledge that Tannehill's play on Saturday was really bad, and if Wentz had thrown three picks in a game like that, fans might have been burning his jersey outside the stadium after the game. 

Tannehill was attrocious. In a playoff game against a playoff team. What was Wentz against the 2 win Jaguars? People get stuck on raw TD and interception numbers like they are the be all. Wentz had much worse games without throwing 3 INTs... even though he tried hard... multiple times. BTW, let me reiterate again - don't mistake my argument here for some sort of love letter to Tannehill. I wouldn't want him as our long-term QB either. I just thought it was rich coming from fans of a team with Carson Wentz as their QB to be snarky about Tannehill's playoff performance... 

As for Tannehill, fewer TDs (total and %), more picks (total and %), lower passer rating (not sure what stat you saw), slightly higher QBR... aside from dumb decisions on Wentz's part, these two guys are a push in 2021, on paper.

When you watch them play -- setting aside the Titans really good defense -- the Titans run heavy play action, roll Tannehill out, give him simpler reads, and they have better weapons at WR and TE. The Colts run as much play action, but they don't move Wentz, and a lot of their play action is actually RPO, so not as simple on the reads.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. 

(you are right on the passer rating - for some reason my tab had switched to 2020 and I was looking at that) 

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

Tannehill had some good seasons in Miami, but suffered some injuries. Not exactly sure what he did at the very end, possible he fell off considerably. 

Tannehill was attrocious. In a playoff game against a playoff team. What was Wentz against the 2 win Jaguars? People get stuck on raw TD and interception numbers like they are the be all. Wentz had much worse games without throwing 3 INTs... even though he tried hard... multiple times. BTW, let me reiterate again - don't mistake my argument here for some sort of love letter to Tannehill. I wouldn't want him as our long-term QB either. I just thought it was rich coming from fans of a team with Carson Wentz as their QB to be snarky about Tannehill's playoff performance... 

I guess we have to agree to disagree. 

(you are right on the passer rating - for some reason my tab had switched to 2020 and I was looking at that) 

I agree with most of this, just don't know what redeeming value Tannehill brought to the table in this game. Take away the picks and he was still mediocre as a passer, nothing in the run game. One or two good throws that I remember (the TD to Brown was amazing though). I just think you're going way hard on Wentz, especially in comparison to Tannehill in this game. And of course I agree that Wentz had some bad games, and has issues that may not get any better. 

Kinda saying the same thing. I think we'd both have them in the same tier with each other. I said earlier I think that what the Titans have done with their offense and defense could be our model for the next year or two. I am not endorsing Wentz as a massive upgrade to Tannehill. I think the main difference is in the way they're used, and the support they have. 

Archived