Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Screw it......why don't we trade Wentz for the highest pick possible then draft the best player available at 47 and let Sam run the offense......finish 3-14 and then draft numbers 1-3 in 2023......THEN draft our Franchise QB.

LOL

Honestly, you could run the ball with Sam and end up in the same .500 range.  Outside of one drive in Arizona, Wentz provided very little down the stretch.  

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Screw it......why don't we trade Wentz for the highest pick possible then draft the best player available at 47 and let Sam run the offense......finish 3-14 and then draft numbers 1-3 in 2023......THEN draft our Franchise QB.

LOL

You laugh, and rightly so, but there's a few who agree with this.

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

LOL

This team has enough good parts still might end up with a 9-8 record even with Sam.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

Honestly, you could run the ball with Sam and end up in the same .500 range.  Outside of one drive in Arizona, Wentz provided very little down the stretch.  

And you know this because Sam has shown this? Wentz ran for his life behind our 30th ranked pass blocking oline. There are only 32 teams.......AND......we had the leagues leading rusher and still couldn't effectively use play action because our oline was ranked 30th of 32......

I was being sarcastic. 

Wentz was not horrible. He was not great. He tucked and ran a lot due to the oline and a few WR's that couldn't get open either......

He'll be our QB again next year, mark my words!

44 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I have t watched enough of Daniel Jones if he would be a option. But if Flores gets hired in NY watch out for watson to get traded there. I believe he has expressed interest in playing for Giants. Jones could be on the move.

I would love for this scenario to go down.  Jones has been behind the eight ball ever since he arrived in NY.  Great prospect going to the wrong team and dysfunctional organization.  I believe his cap hit is only around 8m.  If available we should trade for him and let him sit behind Wentz and develop him.  If Wentz falters we end up with a young and experienced Jones being the successor and ready to step in.  

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Its not his job to mark and keep track of that. I will guarantee most OC have that kind of info being tracked by a assistant and given to them.

He is the head coach.   If he demands it and doesn't get it, It is on him.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Wentz was not horrible. He was not great. He tucked and ran a lot due to the oline and a few WR's that couldn't get open either......

This!.....  I agree that despite the chatter from the talking heads..... Wentz will end up under center....

If he is great, I will cheer

If we suck, I will be disapointed, but will be VERY happy with the QB options in 2023

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

He is the head coach.   If he demands it and doesn't get it, It is on him.

Reich is not a bad coach. What coach would have a team this competitive every year with 4 QB in 4 years. Do you know how that effects being able to get any kind of consistancy  going with play calling ECT.  If they don’t get the QB situation figured out long term Ballard and him both won’t be around much longer. But that really isn’t their fault totally. QB don’t grow on trees. Especially ones that will get to the playoffs year in and year out. Look at all the bad coaching around the league. You should be grateful we have Reich. He just needs to get that long term answer at QB so his play calling will be more consistant and he isn’t starting over every year.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm positive it is.   When at the end of the Titans game, he said he didn't realize the run/pass ration was that big, it was a red flag that he cannot call the plays and keep track of the game at the same time.    

Do you think the person calling plays on teams keeps track of the run/pass ratio?   Do what's working.    His play calling during a game isn't effecting his other duties as a head coach.   gtho

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

And you know this because Sam has shown this? Wentz ran for his life behind our 30th ranked pass blocking oline. There are only 32 teams.......AND......we had the leagues leading rusher and still couldn't effectively use play action because our oline was ranked 30th of 32......

I was being sarcastic. 

He tucked and ran so often because he stunk at FB 101. If you have someone open get iy to them and let them run with the ____ ball.

Our receivers had to 'FORGET' how to run their routes for your nonsense to be true.

I'm going to run with Kurt Warner's and others breakdown of Wentz. He was fairly brainless understanding what was going on in front of him.

It was a clear explanation of why he was so consistentely inconsistent.

And it speaks very poorly for Frank.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He tucked and ran so often because he stunk at FB 101. If you have someone open get iy to them and let them run with the ____ ball.

Our receivers had to 'FORGET' how to run their routes for your nonsense to be true.

I'm going to run with Kurt Warner's and others breakdown of Wentz. He was fairly brainless understanding what was going on in front of him.

Kurt Warner had some subpar years with a bad oline in front of him too.

It's cool though. You have your thoughts and I have mine.

14 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Im in the camp of AND Carson vs OR Carson

Winston, Mariota, or Trubisky would be a good (and cheap) veteran to go ALONG WITH Wentz

I dont see a better alternative than Wentz that is truly available to the Colts

Some people say

"lets trade for Wilson"

or

"Lets trade for Rogers"

Nice thought......  but you give up way, way too much , and GB or Seattle are trying to win themselves

Both players are at the tail end of their careers, so it s a very high price rental

I just dont see it 

Some people say

"Lets trade up in the draft"

I have to ask, who in this draft is a surefire, bonafide blue chip QB.... that we would give up tremendous draft capitol for?

I just dont see it

We have Carson Wentz paid for this year

Its sort of like leasing a car, then getting another lease on an additional car, you can only drive one car at a time

AND.... Your budget is limited (Cap)

Lets keep building the team, and if we need to replace Carson we do it in the draft NEXT YEAR, where there ARE some blue chip QBs that are coming out

Agree with this.

There isnt an easy answer.  
We’ll see what happens.

I dont expect any Colt QB in my lifetime living up to the Manning years. 
  When we had Manning, we didnt realize what the teams WITHOUT a Manning, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rogers, etc went thru year after year.  And that they virtually had no chance in going very far in playoffs even if they got in.

There just aren't many of “those” guys out there to begin with.

I was very optimistic early in the season about this roster, now i’m just confused and overthinking it all.

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

LOL

You laugh but I’ve thought about this very scenario and was ready to accept it.

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Agreed and I hadn’t thought about what it means that Frank refuses to admit this. But it’s more likely he knows this deep down bug his affinity for Wentz keeps him blind to what must be done. It’s a bad situation.

15 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Reich is not a bad coach. What coach would have a team this competitive every year with 4 QB in 4 years. Do you know how that effects being able to get any kind of consistancy  going with play calling ECT.  If they don’t get the QB situation figured out long term Ballard and him both won’t be around much longer. But that really isn’t their fault totally. QB don’t grow on trees. Especially ones that will get to the playoffs year in and year out. Look at all the bad coaching around the league. You should be grateful we have Reich. He just needs to get that long term answer at QB so his play calling will be more consistant and he isn’t starting over every year.

I also think Reich is a good head coach.   He's just not a good play caller.   History shows it.   Before the Colts he was successful in Philly and he did NOT call the plays.   He was fired in San Diego when he called the plays.   Now he is calling the plays again and he is not successful...   He needs to just give it up.

19 hours ago, buccolts said:

You laugh, and rightly so, but there's a few who agree with this.

we wont get much for wentz and there isnt a qb projected to go within trade range of where we are picking.  

If we could actually do that i would be all for it.  do people still have a lot of faith in carson?

19 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I know, it was sarcasm.....the players that matter wouldn't buy into a flop of a season....meaning the staff would lose the locker room!

TBH the players didnt really show much support for Wentz after his bad games besides Pittman. Colts were like 26th in passing im not sure a rookie would change the win total all that much.  carson did next to nothing down the stretch too, hell we won a game where he threw less than 70 yards 

8 hours ago, Los1sol said:

You laugh but I’ve thought about this very scenario and was ready to accept it.

I don’t think we would get much for Wentz.  He just finished playing a full season for a team that traded for him and he played for the coach that everyone thought could resurrect his career.  And after one year they are willing to trade him.  That speaks volumes.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I also think Reich is a good head coach.   He's just not a good play caller.   History shows it.   Before the Colts he was successful in Philly and he did NOT call the plays.   He was fired in San Diego when he called the plays.   Now he is calling the plays again and he is not successful...   He needs to just give it up.

He is so bad colts were leading the league in points scored after week 3.

16 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Too bad Ballard isn't as smart as the Titans to go out and get a QB like Tannehill. 

Ummmm, nevermind...

Lol the person that cries foul every time any member of the Colts organization is talked about negatively comes to the board to make fun of a QB that has had more playoff success than any QB the Colts have had since Luck, and a team that has dominated our division since then as well.

Ironic.

20 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Lol the person that cries foul every time any member of the Colts organization is talked about negatively comes to the board to make fun of a QB that has had more playoff success than any QB the Colts have had since Luck, and a team that has dominated our division since then as well.

Ironic.

Yeah that's a weird sentiment to me. At least the Titans didn't give up 1st and 3d for Tannehill, who has been better than Wentz every single year of his career(except for 2017). I would LOVE if Wentz could play at Tannehill's level. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah that's a weird sentiment to me. At least the Titans didn't give up 1st and 3d for Tannehill, who has been better than Wentz every single year of his career(except for 2017). I would LOVE if Wentz could play at Tannehill's level. 

The guy threw three interceptions, at home, as the favorite. Wentz is persona non grata when he misses a read.

I like certain things about the way Tannehill plays, especially the way he uses his legs. But it's primarily because he's a complementary player to their run game, and the coaching staff treats him as such. And aside from the way Wentz does dumb things at times, it's hard to identify where Tannehill has performed better than him.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

The guy threw three interceptions, at home, as the favorite. Wentz is persona non grata when he misses a read.

I like certain things about the way Tannehill plays, especially the way he uses his legs. But it's primarily because he's a complementary player to their run game, and the coaching staff treats him as such. And aside from the way Wentz does dumb things at times, it's hard to identify where Tannehill has performed better than him.

Decision-making, accuracy, playing actual QB... like... in the sense of... executing the offense. Those are pretty improtant facets of playing the game. It's not just the dumb things... it's that Wentz IMO does not have the processing speed and sharpness to execute the offense. Yeah, Tannehill is not asked to do a ton... but what he's asked to do he has been doing at a really high level since moving to the Titans. Wentz on the other hand... well, I guess he can do a lot of things at a cruddy level. 

And don't get me wrong... it's not like I think Tannehill is one of the top tier QBs.. he's still one of those mediocre options that has some significant issues and I don't really want him over the long haul... but if I had to choose Tannehill or Wentz for us to win as many games as possible next year... yeah... I'm chooseing Tannehill and it's not particularly close. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Decision-making, accuracy, playing actual QB... like... in the sense of... executing the offense. Those are pretty improtant facets of playing the game. It's not just the dumb things... it's that Wentz IMO does not have the processing speed and sharpness to execute the offense. Yeah, Tannehill is not asked to do a ton... but what he's asked to do he has been doing at a really high level since moving to the Titans. Wentz on the other hand... well, I guess he can do a lot of things at a cruddy level. 

And don't get me wrong... it's not like I think Tannehill is one of the top tier QBs.. he's still one of those mediocre options that has some significant issues and I don't really want him over the long haul... but if I had to choose Tannehill or Wentz for us to win as many games as possible next year... yeah... I'm chooseing Tannehill and it's not particularly close. 

I think you're overstating both how bad Wentz is and how effective Tannehill is. Seems like an overreaction to Wentz's issues. Especially considering the fact that Tannehill looked like toast in Miami, then got to the Titans and was asked to run a very different offense than anything Wentz has ever been asked to run.

Also, Tannehill was 31 years old when he first started a game for the Titans. When he was Wentz's age, the Dolphins were trying to find a way to get rid of him. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think you're overstating both how bad Wentz is and how effective Tannehill is. Seems like an overreaction to Wentz's issues. Especially considering the fact that Tannehill looked like toast in Miami, then got to the Titans and was asked to run a very different offense than anything Wentz has ever been asked to run.

Also, Tannehill was 31 years old when he first started a game for the Titans. When he was Wentz's age, the Dolphins were trying to find a way to get rid of him. 

Colts and Titans are in very similiar situations with their QB. Ryan has got further in the playoffs but it is looking like he isn’t the guy to take them to a SB.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't get what your point is. IMO Tannehill looked better in Miami than Wentz looked for us for example(that's why we won't be able to get a 4th for him if we tried to trade him). Miami got rid off him and Philly got rid off Wentz. This doesn't answer the question - has Tannehill played better than Wentz since moving to the Titans? To me it's obvious he has. Especially the last 3 years. 

Tannehill without Henry mind you this year, in run heavy offense had more yards, higher yards/attempt, higher air yards per attempt, higher PFF grade, higher QBR, higher passer rating than Wentz. 

Also... what was that Colts offense? Wasn't it run heavy too? I don't even know what he was asked to do by the end. It seemed like Frank started taking the ball out of his hands more and more as the season progressed. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't get what your point is. IMO Tannehill looked better in Miami than Wentz looked for us for example(that's why we won't be able to get a 4th for him if we tried to trade him). Miami got rid off him and Philly got rid off Wentz. This doesn't answer the question - has Tannehill played better than Wentz since moving to the Titans? To me it's obvious he has. Especially the last 3 years. 

Tannehill without Henry mind you this year, in run heavy offense had more yards, higher yards/attempt, higher air yards per attempt, higher PFF grade, higher QBR, higher passer rating than Wentz. 

Also... what was that Colts offense? Wasn't it run heavy too? I don't even know what he was asked to do by the end. It seemed like Frank started taking the ball out of his hands more and more as the season progressed. 

To be brutally honest, I don't think Wentz or Tannehill will ever win a SB. Jimmy G is better than both IMO. 

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

After watching the playoffs this weekend Jan 22 & 23 I can't see any QB candidate for the Colts old or new, keeping up with the performances of the QBs we saw especially Buffalo & KC,

Which is why sticking with Wentz and building this teams pass rush and offensive weapons is best option until the right one comes in draft. I just don’t know how patient Irsay would be. I guess it would depend on how much carson improves in 2022.

Archived