Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jimmy G has no arm strength. He is way to limited. Yes he gets rid of the ball quick but that’s about it.  Colts will not make a lateral move like that. It would be Wilson or sticking with Wentz.

At this moment, Jimmy G is better and upgrade to Wentz. Arm Strength doesn't matter. Rivers was better last year. What matter's is what it is between the ears and getting the ball out quick. Jeff George could throw it 80 yards but he stunk here.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At this moment, Jimmy G is better and upgrade to Wentz. Arm Strength doesn't matter. Rivers was better last year. What matter's is what it is between ears and getting the ball quick. Jeff George could throw it 80 yards but he stunk here.

Jimmy’s arm is worse then Rivers. There is a reason there scheme is what it is and why they drafted Lance.  Add that to he is always injured.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jimmy’s arm is worse then Rivers. There is a reason there scheme is what it is and why they drafted Lance. 

IMO the 49ers are dumb for wanting to get rid of Jimmy G, all he does is play smart and wins games. He plays within the system. He has won huge games. I think Lance can be good but that is a huge gamble going with him moving forward. For the record, Jimmy G can throw a football 70 yards - he did it in his combine and his arm is stronger than a 39 year old Rivers.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO the 49ers are dumb for wanting to get rid of Jimmy G, all he does is play smart and wins games. He plays within the system. He has won huge games. I think Lance can be good but that is a huge gamble going with him moving forward. For the record, Jimmy G can throw a football 70 yards - he did it in his combine and his arm is stronger than a 39 year old Rivers.

Jimmy’s ceiling is very low. That defense is a good reason they win games and he doesn’t have to do too much.  Again we have talked about this any QB can throw a ball far. It’s about velocity. He is still nursing two injuries and can’t stay healthy.  Colts defense isn’t close to SF.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Plus colts don’t have a defense like SF.

Because of our scheme, we don't have the DE's to play that scheme with consistency. The one knock I have on Ballard is, he hasn't drafted the right DE's. Hopefully Paye will pan out. We do create Turnovers though which helps. We need to change our scheme and blitz guys like Leonard and Okereke more. JMO.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jimmy’s ceiling is very low. That defense is a good reason they win games and he doesn’t have to do too much.  Again we have talked about this any QB can throw a ball far. It’s short velocity. He is still nursing two injuries and can’t stay healthy. 

Who would you trust in a big game, Jimmy G or Wentz? Lets keep it simple. It is one or the other.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

31 isn't old (young for a QB) and the 49ers want to get rid of him, they want Lance as their QB moving forward. We could trade for Jimmy G but would have to give up a player or 2 and maybe a draft pick to make it work. It can work Salary Cap wise if we part ways with Carson.

Not trying to be argumentative, but

What players would we trade?

How do you fit Carson AND Jimmy G on this same salary cap year?  AND fill needed spots LT, WR, TE, FS,  and DE?

My fear is that we would have another 9-8 year with this approach

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

How do you fit Carson AND Jimmy G on this same salary cap year?  AND fill needed spots LT, WR, TE, FS,  and DE?

They aren’t making a move for Jimmy G. The only way they are making a move possibly is if Carr becomes available. They have tried to get him for two years.

I guess we could just roll with Wentz after everything that has happened and pray he improves. I hope he does for our sake. I want Russell Wilson but not sure that is realistic?

They aren’t making a move for Jimmy G. The only way they are making a move possibly is if Carr becomes available. They have tried to get him for two years.

I would tend to agree with you

The problem is the cost to acquire for any name QB

I would like to see what Wentz could do with a full offseason and a shiny new WR and TE, and improved OL play

If it doesnt work, we have the draft position to be in reach to get a really good blue chip QB in the next draft

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess we could just roll with Wentz after everything that has happened and pray he improves. I hope he does for our sake. I want Russell Wilson but not sure that is realistic?

Or maybe having  OTA and a actual camp gets him more comfortable in this offense. I always thought it was year two anyway.

35 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would tend to agree with you

The problem is the cost to acquire for any name QB

I would like to see what Wentz could do with a full offseason and a shiny new WR and TE, and improved OL play

If it doesnt work, we have the draft position to be in reach to get a really good blue chip QB in the next draft

Giving up more draft picks for someone who isn’t the franchise just to get a higher floor makes no sense. From now on the only time we need to be giving up more picks is for the young long term answer.

Yep....

I could probably be talked into Carr. But in reality what has he done. He hasn’t won anything. That was his first playoff game. I know the dysfunction of raiders plays into that but if he is traded it will be a trade and extend. I don’t see them signing him to a long term extension and paying him 180 million. He hadn’t done anything for them to take that kind of risk. The knock on him also is if he gets pressured enough he crumbles.

The last Jimmy quote I read probably fanned the flames more than his first quote of all chips in. In what universe 

would Mr Irsay say "I dont worry about His feelings" when talking about Peyton or Andrew. As hard as we all

took that loss to Jacksonville, Irsay took it wwaayy harder. This one is going to sting for years. I dont believe this type

of performance wears off during the offseason. We had a playoff team who may have or could have upset

someone. Im betting Wentz was probably already on thin ice with Irsay with his anti-vax stance. Reading between

all the lines, I still believe you wont see Wentz here next year. If he is, it will probably be to back up Sam or

some other QB they bring in. That and Irsay will HIGHLY suggest he gets vaccinated if he wants to truly get

Irsay and the entire team behind him.

1 minute ago, Blindside said:

The last Jimmy quote I read probably fanned the flames more than his first quote of all chips in. In what universe 

would Mr Irsay say "I dont worry about His feelings" when talking about Peyton or Andrew. As hard as we all

took that loss to Jacksonville, Irsay took it wwaayy harder. This one is going to sting for years. I dont believe this type

of performance wears off during the offseason. We had a playoff team who may have or could have upset

someone. Im betting Wentz was probably already on thin ice with Irsay with his anti-vax stance. Reading between

all the lines, I still believe you wont see Wentz here next year. If he is, it will probably be to back up Sam or

some other QB they bring in. That and Irsay will HIGHLY suggest he gets vaccinated if he wants to truly get

So should he cut the entire oline and Leonard for not being vaxed?

The quote in the story was actually at the end. It was this one. Still trying to figure out. Sounds like a slam for bringing in too many nice guys and not enough dogs.

“I never make decisions when it comes to this based on emotion,” Irsay said. “We have great people in this organization, but just because you’re a nice person doesn’t mean you’re cut out for this business.”

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At this moment, Jimmy G is better and upgrade to Wentz. Arm Strength doesn't matter. Rivers was better last year. What matter's is what it is between the ears and getting the ball out quick. Jeff George could throw it 80 yards but he stunk here.

Will Jimmy G be a FA or would we have to hope he is cut or do we have to trade for him? I'd give up Hines and Kenny Moore for Jimmy G straight up.

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Will Jimmy G be a FA or would we have to hope he is cut or do we have to trade for him? I'd give up Hines and Kenny Moore for Jimmy G straight up.

Jimmy has one more year on his contract. They  could cut him and make him a FA because there is only 1 million deadcap. I don’t know why they would do that because he will have some trade value. Unless they just want to be nice and let him choose where he goes.

28 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Wentz will not be a backup,  and his vax status will have no impact on him being here

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jimmy has one more year on his contract. They  could cut him and make him a FA because there is only 1 million deadcap. I don’t know why they would do that because he will have some trade value. Unless they just want to be nice and let him choose where he goes.

Well we need to pony up and see what it will take. I think Jimmy G has some presnap awareness, can throw a ball away, and a bit quicker with his release. CW2 actually threw a lot picks that were dropped and forces the ball on every play. You are not coaching out his flaws, cut the man before he is due the 28mil and just eat the 15. Get Garappolo, Moore and Hines together would do it. Moore is a great Nickel back but they are a dime a dozen...we need a better QB. I seen that CW2 had more potential picks dropped by defenders than any QB and those left handed throws and shovel passes are nauseating...

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Well we need to pony up and see what it will take. I think Jimmy G has some presnap awareness, can throw a ball away, and a bit quicker with his release. CW2 actually threw a lot picks that were dropped and forces the ball on every play. You are not coaching out his flaws, cut the man before he is due the 28mil and just eat the 15. Get Garappolo, Moore and Hines together would do it. Moore is a great Nickel back but they are a dime a dozen...we need a better QB. I seen that CW2 had more potential picks dropped by defenders than any QB and those left handed throws and shovel passes are nauseating...

Jimmy G is not going to push us where we need to go. Giving up Hines in that deal would be dumb because Hines would be a huge asset to him. He can’t stay healthy either. Colts don’t have that defense either.

Jimmy G is not going to push us where we need to go. Giving up Hines in that deal would be dumb because Hines would be a huge asset to him. He can’t stay healthy either. Colts don’t have that defense either.

I wouldn't of minded if we would of traded a 1st and 3rd for Jimmy G instead of Wentz, but if have to trade our 2nd rounder+ this year or something similar IN ADDITION to the cost of trading Wentz, that'd make me upset.

The only two options IMO are to build around Wentz and sign a FA QB like Trubisky, or draft a QB in the 2nd round (or a trade up into the late 1st) to compete with Wentz and see if he can take over now or within a year. Worst thing we can do is trade for another Veteran that's 30 and not draft someone again.

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We will need to get FS but we maybe good at CB I think Rogers can play Nickel as good as Moore. And maybe Rhodes heals as is a solid #2 next to RYS

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Hines is good but Frank didn't use him enough considering what we paid him. Would have like to see him in the slot more and a few more screens go his way...FR didn't use Hines or the TEs well over the season...

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yes he has some presnap awareness, and can throw a ball away. He's honestly better than CW2 at everything but run speed and arm strength. Jimmy as him beat by far in brains and ball distribution...

It will be interesting to see how Jimmy G performs against GB this weekend.

As others have mentioned he took his team all the way to the SuperBowl.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That is their plan because they want Lance moving forward. That is what people are missing.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I wouldn't of minded if we would of traded a 1st and 3rd for Jimmy G instead of Wentz, but if have to trade our 2nd rounder+ this year or something similar IN ADDITION to the cost of trading Wentz, that'd make me upset.

The only two options IMO are to build around Wentz and sign a FA QB like Trubisky, or draft a QB in the 2nd round (or a trade up into the late 1st) to compete with Wentz and see if he can take over now or within a year. Worst thing we can do is trade for another Veteran that's 30 and not draft someone again.

Jimmy G is so much better than Trubisky, look at the games he helped the 49ers win. He reminds me of a Flacco = not great or very good but good enough to make 1 key run to win a SB. I say that because I have seen what he can do with a good D and good Run offense. We have JT, dude could just throw 20 passes here and win 11 games.

Archived