Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

13 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So nothing. then   just jumping on someone else's thoughts?

Give me your reasons he sucks 

He lets teams go down field in critical situations. He plays soft zone against a team like jags who have no speed. Just let’s us get picked apart. Between him and Pats Baker  their pass rush scheme is horrendous and vanilla. They don’t know what they are doing.  The only way we get stops  on D is a turnover. Is that enough for you.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He lets teams go down field in critical situations. He plays soft zone against a team like jags who have no speed. Just let’s us get picked apart. Between him and Pats Baker  their pass rush scheme is horrendous and vanilla. They don’t know what they are doing.  The only way we get stops  on D is a turnover. Is that enough for you.

I think you should look up what kind of D the Colts actually play.   

Colts pay the same base D as most of the teams in the league. Cover 3  And the Colts D is moving more toward man coverage in the secondary just as Ballard envisioned it as players develop.   It is moving toward the same D as Seattle runs.   You know. that whole Legion of Boom deal

They are:  

9th in points allowed. *****. Most important stat!!!!!

2nd in turnovers and   

3rd in Rushing TD's against

11th in scrimmage plays per game

11th in 3rd down stops per game   85 out of 210

12th if 4th down conversion rate  12 out of 21

Passing yards per game 19th.   (Dallas is 20th BTW)

14th in completion percentage

25th in sacks 

So just because you hate it when teams move the ball between the 20's Doesn't mean he sucks 

The goal is to stop them from scoring not gaining yards.

There is a reason Flus is getting interviews for HC   Because he really doesn't suck as you say 

2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

<script src="https://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fcoaches%2FEberMa0.htm&div=div_coaching_ranks"></script>

I think you should look up what kind of D the Colts actually play.   

Colts pay the same base D as most of the teams in the league. Cover 3  And the Colts D is moving more toward man coverage in the secondary just as Ballard envisioned it as players develop.   It is moving toward the same D as Seattle runs.   You know. that whole Legion of Boom deal

They are:  

9th in points allowed. *****. Most important stat!!!!!

2nd in turnovers and   

3rd in Rushing TD's against

11th in scrimmage plays per game

11th in 3rd down stops per game   85 out of 210

12th if 4th down conversion rate  12 out of 21

Passing yards per game 19th.   (Dallas is 20th BTW)

14th in completion percentage

25th in sacks 

So just because you hate it when teams move the ball between the 20's Doesn't mean he sucks 

The goal is to stop them from scoring not gaining yards.

There is a reason Flus is getting interviews for HC   Because he really doesn't suck as you say 

its tough to rank a defense going by pure stats, the colts were good at running out the clock this year too

points allowed can be skewed by game situations 

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s not just Indy media bashing Wentz, it’s everybody. And NFL fans outside of our fan base are the most ruthless.

Which, we all know there are other reasons why they’re doing so. It’s not all unbiased opinion. Wentz has attracted quite an anti-following.

He's getting killed on twitter.  I posted some of it in the Playoff QB thread.

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s not just Indy media bashing Wentz, it’s everybody. And NFL fans outside of our fan base are the most ruthless.

Which, we all know there are other reasons why they’re doing so. It’s not all unbiased opinion. Wentz has attracted quite an anti-following.

Its a weird obsession with Wentz and I don't know why really.   Besides his terrible 2020 he has been pretty consistant with his play over a course of an entire season.  Seems like a solid QB that ranks between 8-15 when looking at stats.  He doesn't cause waves in the media.  Seems down to earth does a lot of work in the community.   In 2019 he clutched up a bunch of late season wins to make the playoffs with the Eagles and in 2021 he was opposite of that and had his worse two games down the stretch.   Everyone talks about him still like he is one of the worst QBs in the league.  

37 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Its a weird obsession with Wentz and I don't know why really.   Besides his terrible 2020 he has been pretty consistant with his play over a course of an entire season.  Seems like a solid QB that ranks between 8-15 when looking at stats.  He doesn't cause waves in the media.  Seems down to earth does a lot of work in the community.   In 2019 he clutched up a bunch of late season wins to make the playoffs with the Eagles and in 2021 he was opposite of that and had his worse two games down the stretch.   Everyone talks about him still like he is one of the worst QBs in the league.  

It's sad. Wentz is becoming the laughing stock of the league or an internet meme and he doesn't deserve that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kyler-murray-pulled-carson-wentz-030909066.html

16 hours ago, Beardog said:

i thanks it was unanimous on this board everyone wanted Wentz.  Everyone!  Rightfully many were interested in Stafford and Brady before.  Regardless of anyone’s opinion, this team has regressed at QB.  I mentioned when Rivers retired don’t take him for granted and being in the playoffs.  Not saying Rivers is a SB QB but he’s a future Hall of Famer.  I’m sorry I really don’t think Wentz is the answer.  It should be expected this team gets to the playoffs and actually wins in the playoffs - and Wentz cannot do that 

Many folks took Rivers for granted. 

But, there were many also that weren't high on Wentz.

I was meh on Wentz when we first signed him until I dug into the Philly situation (OL was mess, WR decimated, running game and D both took steps back... 

I would have been more than happy getting Rivers back. But I also moved on. I also know our OL has regressed more than QB... And we've had a weak WR group... and overly conservative scheme.....

On 1/18/2022 at 11:04 AM, chickenMan said:

In all fairness the pick Jimmy G threw against Dallas is just a weekly occurrence at this point, I don’t think anyone was surprised by that

I’d much prefer Jimmy Garappolo than Wentz.  Word has it the WFT will grab him this offseason and probably without picks

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Are you saying SF will just cut him and let him choose where to go?

I’d read an article today saying Washington football team is the likely landing spot and that they likely wouldn’t have to give up much trade wise.  9ers spent a lot on Lance basically going all in and obvious he’s their future.  Why wouldn’t the Colts consider him given that?

8 hours ago, Beardog said:

I’d read an article today saying Washington football team is the likely landing spot and that they likely wouldn’t have to give up much trade wise.  9ers spent a lot on Lance basically going all in and obvious he’s their future.  Why wouldn’t the Colts consider him given that?

I think he is going to cost more in picks then you think. He had some good attributes but he is way to limited and injury prone.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, EastStreet said:

Many folks took Rivers for granted. 

But, there were many also that weren't high on Wentz.

I was meh on Wentz when we first signed him until I dug into the Philly situation (OL was mess, WR decimated, running game and D both took steps back... 

I would have been more than happy getting Rivers back. But I also moved on. I also know our OL has regressed more than QB... And we've had a weak WR group... and overly conservative scheme.....

Frank messed up wanting the new Oline coach...We do need new WRs via FA. #2 vet opposite MPJ would be nice, I'm open to TY coming back for a slot role at half of last year's price... Ertz would be nice for TE.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:13 PM, Beardog said:

I’d much prefer Jimmy Garappolo than Wentz.  Word has it the WFT will grab him this offseason and probably without picks

Jimmy is a low ceiling guy propped up by a top 3 OL and great pass catching talent. Also benefits bigly from play calling. 

But he is a good fit for Reich's overly conservative scheme. 

But we don't have a top 3 OL, we don't have 3 stud pass catchers, and Reich is far from Shanahan in the play calling space.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Everyone wants Carr too but he had less TD and more INT then Wentz.

Not saying he's elite, or even better than Wentz. But he has performed well with a bad OL for years, and had super weak pass catchers this season. Waller is a stud no doubt. Renfrow is a guy that runs great routes, but not a guy you center your WR unit around. Losing Ruggs was rough... 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:21 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

You have a lot of different groups. You have the woke folks and media (like Doyel) killing him all year even when he was playing well. You have the Philly fans (probably the largest group I've seen). How the season ended, most supporters will simply ignore the social media warriors, and let the haters hate. 

15 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Frank messed up wanting the new Oline coach...We do need new WRs via FA. #2 vet opposite MPJ would be nice, I'm open to TY coming back for a slot role at half of last year's price... Ertz would be nice for TE.

OL - yes, we need a coach that can instill a bit more nastiness. I was hoping for Harry Heistand, but ND woke up and realized the error of their ways, and brought him back. Most don't realize that it was DeGuglielmo that architected the OL over 5-6 weeks, and hurt a lot of feelings doing it... I'm tired of color books and play doh flavored trenches on both sides. Q will always be born to kill, but some need pushed.

WR - I think we simply need improved LT play, a more robust scheme/play-calling, and better personnel usage. I think we ignored better options this year at WRs, and leaned on blocking to our detriment. We just didn't pair QB skillset with pass catcher skillset, and use routes accordingly. So while I agree we need to upgrade at WR2, we need to focus more on speed/separation in L2/3, and less on possession and blocking.

TE - I think using Doyle more like he was used in 2018 (a lot more seam), and using Mo more like he was used in 2020 (less slot snaps, more L2/3 targets) would go a long way. Not going to spend big money on an aging Ertz when I think he'd look very pedestrian in Reich's flat/sideline passing scheme. 

TY would have killed the slot this year. He would have looked better at the Z had he not been limited to mostly possession routes. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Nobody can look at this colts WR and TE group snd believe we are even close to good enough. The only people who think they are good enough are Reich haters who want to blame everything on him. Taking the QB issue out of it whoever the QB is this group still needs a bunch of work. 

People can look at WR, TE, and Reich, and say..... meh...... Multiple things can be true.

But there is no arguing Reich is overly conservative in possession passing. Zero.... 

You don't have to be hater to ask WHAT THE F is going on when Taylor is barely used in some games, or why we pass a ton vs horrible run defenses. 

Reich has done plenty for folks to question him. He's a good guy, but he's got plenty of head scratchers, even if you don't have enough football acumen to recognize play calling route tendencies. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

People can look at WR, TE, and Reich, and say..... meh...... Multiple things can be true.

But there is no arguing Reich is overly conservative in possession passing. Zero.... 

You don't have to be hater to ask WHAT THE F is going on when Taylor is barely used in some games, or why we pass a ton vs horrible run defenses. 

Reich has done plenty for folks to question him. He's a good guy, but he's got plenty of head scratchers, even if you don't have enough football acumen to recognize play calling route tendencies. 

“Even if you don’t have enough football acumen to recognize play calling route tendencies”

This, from the man who had a hissy fit meltdown over the first three plays of the New England game.  Multiple posts with your outrage over a literal Nothing Burger.   And it came when stories leading up to the game all reported that teams had been having success throwing against the Pats in the first quarter.  It was talked about right here.   

Feank did just that for three plays, and one poster melted down.   

Talk about a complete lack of football acumen?!   Lol!!   :funny:

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Since you love hiding behind emojis....

@NewColtsFan

• please explain shelving our obvious best weapon (JT) in any game, at least use him in other facets.... 
  • please explain tossing all over the yard vs bad run Ds....
  • please explain giving no reps to your backup QB when QB1 was doubtful, yet calling an air raid game plan with QB2 vs a team that was bad vs the run... 
  • please explain using a 5-10, really 5-9, guy, as a possession WR doing post ups in the flat and on the sideline. 
  • please explain signing an APB to a top 10 RB salary, then cutting his reps to 2019 level instead of increasing them... 

Let's hear it old wise gusher lol. 

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Even if you don’t have enough football acumen to recognize play calling route tendencies”

This, from the man who had a hissy fit meltdown over the first three plays of the New England game.  Multiple posts with your outrage over a literal Nothing Burger.   And it came when stories leading up to the game all reported that teams had been having success throwing against the Pats in the first quarter.  It was talked about right here.   

Feank did just that for three plays, and one poster melted down.   

Talk about a complete lack of football acumen?!   Lol!!   :funny:

So you're talking about a game I said we should run, and try deep against their lesser DB...

And we short passed to a punt in the first series... Then did what I wanted in the second series... and got a TD...

Sure,,,, that one...

MlMgZ51t82lChDcBW08eeQ.gif

Keep Reich gushing... 

So this is what its come to?

Trubisky or Mariota?

Looks to me like a horizontal move, if that.  Certainly doesnt make me feel any better.

Is the plan on one of those AND Wentz? Is the attitude “well, one of them should work out?”  I just see more of the same.

I will be BERY interested in what our roster, especially at QB ,will be.  
  The “all chips in” comment by Itsay could mean he wants Ballard more aggressive in FA?

This should be a very interesting offseason.

Or should i say i hope it is?

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

So this is what its come to?

Trubisky or Mariota?

Looks to me like a horizontal move, if that.  Certainly doesnt make me feel any better.

Is the plan on one of those AND Wentz? Is the attitude “well, one of them should work out?”  I just see more of the same.

I will be BERY interested in what our roster, especially at QB ,will be.  
  The “all chips in” comment by Itsay could mean he wants Ballard more aggressive in FA?

This should be a very interesting offseason.

Or should i say i hope it is?

Im in the camp of AND Carson vs OR Carson

Winston, Mariota, or Trubisky would be a good (and cheap) veteran to go ALONG WITH Wentz

I dont see a better alternative than Wentz that is truly available to the Colts

Some people say

"lets trade for Wilson"

or

"Lets trade for Rogers"

Nice thought......  but you give up way, way too much , and GB or Seattle are trying to win themselves

Both players are at the tail end of their careers, so it s a very high price rental

I just dont see it 

Some people say

"Lets trade up in the draft"

I have to ask, who in this draft is a surefire, bonafide blue chip QB.... that we would give up tremendous draft capitol for?

I just dont see it

We have Carson Wentz paid for this year

Its sort of like leasing a car, then getting another lease on an additional car, you can only drive one car at a time

AND.... Your budget is limited (Cap)

Lets keep building the team, and if we need to replace Carson we do it in the draft NEXT YEAR, where there ARE some blue chip QBs that are coming out

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Im in the camp of AND Carson vs OR Carson

Winston, Mariota, or Trubisky would be a good (and cheap) veteran to go ALONG WITH Wentz

I dont see a better alternative than Wentz that is truly available to the Colts

Some people say

"lets trade for Wilson"

or

"Lets trade for Rogers"

Nice thought......  but you give up way, way too much , and GB or Seattle are trying to win themselves

Both players are at the tail end of their careers, so it s a very high price rental

I just dont see it 

Some people say

"Lets trade up in the draft"

I have to ask, who in this draft is a surefire, bonafide blue chip QB.... that we would give up tremendous draft capitol for?

I just dont see it

We have Carson Wentz paid for this year

Its sort of like leasing a car, then getting another lease on an additional car, you can only drive one car at a time

AND.... Your budget is limited (Cap)

Lets keep building the team, and if we need to replace Carson we do it in the draft, where there ARE some EXCELLENT

QBs that are coming out

I would take Jimmy G over Trubisky or Mariota and it isn't close.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually like Jimmy G, but how does he make it to the Colts? What do we trade?

I dont think they go for Carson at all

Jimmy G has a salary number of $25M in 2022, He is also 31 in November

This team has some big, expensive holes to fill, DE, LT,  

I think the Jimmy G move would be expensive and due to the cap, we wouldnt be able to fill holes AND bring him on

I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but dont see this as an option for this year

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My point was that IF we went FA (Jimmy G is NOT a FA)

IM saying stick with Carson for this year, and if needed bring in a cheap FA

Id also consider handing QB number 2 to Sam E for 2022

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I actually like Jimmy G, but how does he make it to the Colts? What do we trade?

I dont think they go for Carson at all

Jimmy G has a salary number of $25M in 2022, He is also 31 in November

This team has some big, expensive holes to fill, DE, LT,  

I think the Jimmy G move would be expensive and due to the cap, we wouldnt be able to fill holes AND bring him on

I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but dont see this as an option for this year

31 isn't old (young for a QB) and the 49ers want to get rid of him, they want Lance as their QB moving forward. We could trade for Jimmy G but would have to give up a player or 2 and maybe a draft pick to make it work. It can work Salary Cap wise if we part ways with Carson.

Archived