Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB situation around the league we're heading in.

ColtJax

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is shocking. Only way this happens is if Rodgers or Wilson go there or Carr wants out because of the coach. I imagine the coaching hire will have to be someone that wants Carr and Carr wants. Ian mentions the Colts here. Colts have called on Carr the last two seasons to see if he is available. Him and Reich would mesh so well. He is a great leader. I just don’t know if we would have the draft capital.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is shocking. Only way this happens is if Rodgers or Wilson go there or Carr wants out because of the coach. I imagine the coaching hire will have to be someone that wants Carr and Carr wants. Ian mentions the Colts here. Colts have called on Carr the last two seasons to see if he is available. Him and Reich would mesh so well. He is a great leader. I just don’t know if we would have the draft capital.

I would love Carr as an option for the Colts, so long as it doesn’t cost more than a single 1st round pick or so. I would only want to trade for him if leadership is absolutely certain this won’t blow up in their face the way it did with Wentz. 

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would love Carr as an option for the Colts, so long as it doesn’t cost more than a single 1st round pick or so. I would only want to trade for him if leadership is absolutely certain this won’t blow up in their face the way it did with Wentz. 

We have seen enough of Carr play that he fits the playmakers on this team and the scheme Reich wants to play so well. I don’t see how would blow up in their face. I would do something similiar we did with Wentz. I just don’t know if that would be enough to get him. The fact they tried to get him in 2020 and 2021 tells you how much they want him. Maybe we could send a player to sweeten the deal. 

44 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Apology accepted 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Carr isn’t going anywhere. Whoever gets that job will be contingent on them keeping carr. You don’t dump a franchise QB when you have one.

Carr may not want to play for the new coach and ask to be traded.    Example. Raiders lose their mind and Hire Pagano or Harbaugh.    

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

So if u Carr would u want to come to a small market like  Indy? Would u want to come to a team that has several needs? A team that cannot pass block or rush the passer? A team who may fire their GM and coach next year if they do not make the playoffs? I know I  wouldnt. The most attractive team is probably Denver as they have talent and the picks. I am sorry but I just don't  think   Indy is an attractive destination for free agents  at time.

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So if u Carr would u want to come to a small market like  Indy? Would u want to come to a team that has several needs? A team that cannot pass block or rush the passer? A team who may fire their GM and coach next year if they do not make the playoffs? I know I  wouldnt. The most attractive team is probably Denver as they have talent and the picks. I am sorry but I just don't  think   Indy is an attractive destination for free agents  at time.

INDY  is a great place for him. His personality fits well with Reich. His playing style is exactly what Reich needs.  This will come down to how he feels about the coach they hire or if he wants a fresh start. 

Colts would have to trade and extend. Would the colts be willing to extend him? You are right though there would be very good options outside of Indy. He would be high in demand.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

I still believe the Colts retired Phil more than he retired himself.  If they were willing to move on from Phil, I see no reason, under these circumstances, they wouldn't move on from Wentz.  I doubt the picks or money will have anything to do with it.  

While you quoted half my post, I was fine with Rivers returning.  And there probably is some truth to your claim about him being retired by the Colts.  I am just trying to be a realist here but would welcome a change.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

I still believe the Colts retired Phil more than he retired himself.  If they were willing to move on from Phil, I see no reason, under these circumstances, they wouldn't move on from Wentz.  I doubt the picks or money will have anything to do with it.  

2 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

While you quoted half my post, I was fine with Rivers returning.  And there probably is some truth to your claim about him being retired by the Colts.  I am just trying to be a realist here but would welcome a change.

I don't get this.

Rivers had a job lined up already before he even signed with the Colts. After the season ended, Reich said 'we want Rivers back.' Ballard said 'we want Rivers back.' Rivers retired. 

If anything, I think the Colts might have suggested that they wouldn't bring him back at $25m. But it seems pretty obvious that they were open to him returning. He just wanted to retire and move on to his next thing, which is fine.

And as a person who was okay with Rivers in 2020, but also thought he left some plays on the field at times, I would have been more than fine with him returning, as long as we had a young QB to take his place soon.

Note from Ian’s story on Carr.

Carr has made it clear publicly that his preference is to stay with the Raiders, famously saying that he'd probably quit football as opposed to playing for another team. But with one year remaining on his five-year, $125-million contract, he has earned a near-top of the market extension.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't get this.

Rivers had a job lined up already before he even signed with the Colts. After the season ended, Reich said 'we want Rivers back.' Ballard said 'we want Rivers back.' Rivers retired. 

If anything, I think the Colts might have suggested that they wouldn't bring him back at $25m. But it seems pretty obvious that they were open to him returning. He just wanted to retire and move on to his next thing, which is fine.

And as a person who was okay with Rivers in 2020, but also thought he left some plays on the field at times, I would have been more than fine with him returning, as long as we had a young QB to take his place soon.

While your post makes sense, regarding the High School Coaching Job, it seemed a little strange to me, not your post, the situation.  While I was willing to write it off, I wondered why Reich reportedly was still speaking with Rivers when it came out about Wentz being in Covid protocol.  I was open to Rivers returning and was surprised that Wentz was available, I see why now.  I would have preferred Rivers and keeping the 2022 1st rounder over what the Colts have now.  

2 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

While your post makes sense, regarding the High School Coaching Job, it seemed a little strange to me, not your post, the situation.  While I was willing to write it off, I wondered why Reich reportedly was still speaking with Rivers when it came out about Wentz being in Covid protocol.  I was open to Rivers returning and was surprised that Wentz was available, I see why now.  I would have preferred Rivers and keeping the 2022 1st rounder over what the Colts have now.  

I don't find it strange that Reich was talking to Rivers, and I take him at his word that he stayed in contact with Rivers throughout the year. I think that angle was a big nothing burger.

In hindsight, keeping Rivers might have been better than getting Wentz, especially from a cost perspective. But the expectation for Wentz was that he'd be a better playmaker, and still keep the offense on schedule. It was also hoped that he'd be the guy for the next few seasons, not just a one year guy. And some of that is still on the table, so I'm not closing the book on the Wentz trade just yet.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't find it strange that Reich was talking to Rivers, and I take him at his word that he stayed in contact with Rivers throughout the year. I think that angle was a big nothing burger.

In hindsight, keeping Rivers might have been better than getting Wentz, especially from a cost perspective. But the expectation for Wentz was that he'd be a better playmaker, and still keep the offense on schedule. It was also hoped that he'd be the guy for the next few seasons, not just a one year guy. And some of that is still on the table, so I'm not closing the book on the Wentz trade just yet.

And that is acceptable, but I wasn't referring to "hindsight", I wanted Rivers back before the Wentz trade, so that is a not even debatable. I had hope for Wentz, and he most likely will be the Colts QB next year, and I hope he finds his way.  But please don't put words in my mouth and I could care less if you are a Mod, we all have opinions and yours isn't any greater than anyone else.  What NFL experience do you have?

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Big Ben was playing questionable last year. Browns defense was good at limiting Chiefs but in the end baker couldn't do enough.  Baker is inconsistent. His second season was worse than Wentz. Then you have to question why he played significantly worse with Odell in the line up.

Did you forget the non call helmet to helmet hit at the goal line that changed that entire game?

Odell isn't great and he hasn't been good with the Rams either

He's a freelance wide receiver 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't get this.

I also believe he was "retired" by Indy.

I don't see any logic for him to comment that he'd be open to playing again after HS season was over, if he was just set on retiring.... And overall, the HS job was waiting on him, whenever he retired. I doubt it was pushing him to retire. 

56 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

And that is acceptable, but I wasn't referring to "hindsight", I wanted Rivers back before the Wentz trade, so that is a not even debatable. I had hope for Wentz, and he most likely will be the Colts QB next year, and I hope he finds his way.  But please don't put words in my mouth and I could care less if you are a Mod, we all have opinions and yours isn't any greater than anyone else.  What NFL experience do you have?

I didn't put any words in your mouth, and I don't care if you care that I'm a mod. I don't even know where that little outburst came from, but it was totally unnecessary on your part.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I didn't put any words in your mouth, and I don't care if you care that I'm a mod. I don't even know where that little outburst came from, but it was totally unnecessary on your part.

Yes you did, lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I see your NFL experience was quietly glossed over.  Get a real job!

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see any logic for him to comment that he'd be open to playing again after HS season was over, if he was just set on retiring.... And overall, the HS job was waiting on him, whenever he retired. I doubt it was pushing him to retire. 

Didn't he "reportedly" say that halfway through this season? I don't think he was saying 'yeah I might be open to coming back in November" when he was retiring. Could be wrong...

I'm not suggesting the HS job was pushing him to retire. Just stating that he had his gameplan ready, and was excited about it, and ready to get going.

We'll never know what happened behind closed doors, which is why I'm basing my opinion primarily on what was said openly. He had a nice year in 2020, under difficult circumstances. Keeping him another season doesn't seem like something they'd have been closed off to, and they spoke as if they were more than open to it.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I remember when it was reported rivers wanted a two year deal. Looking back maybe that would of been smart. 

The bad decision though in my mind was not going out and getting more of a insurance bridge vet like Foles and trading up to get a QB last year.

I think at times Ballard try’s to get too cute with the one year deals. Has burned them a few times already. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Didn't he "reportedly" say that halfway through this season? I don't think he was saying 'yeah I might be open to coming back in November" when he was retiring. Could be wrong...

I'm not suggesting the HS job was pushing him to retire. Just stating that he had his gameplan ready, and was excited about it, and ready to get going.

We'll never know what happened behind closed doors, which is why I'm basing my opinion primarily on what was said openly. He had a nice year in 2020, under difficult circumstances. Keeping him another season doesn't seem like something they'd have been closed off to, and they spoke as if they were more than open to it.

Purely my opinion, but I recall the comments differently, and the timing also suggestive. 

I don't recall a lot of "we want Phil back". I recall more "we'll talk and see where both parties are" type of positioning.

And it felt like both the retirement and trade happened quickly. Not saying Wentz was the day one target, but just Ballard was already looking to make a move. If as reported, Colts tried to get in the game for Stafford, that whole situation started going down even before Rivers announced. And then there's Sirianni interviewing, and being named HC about the same time as River's announcement. Just overall felt like it was pretty obvious we moved on. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

INDY  is a great place for him. His personality fits well with Reich. His playing style is exactly what Reich needs.  This will come down to how he feels about the coach they hire or if he wants a fresh start. 

Colts would have to trade and extend. Would the colts be willing to extend him? You are right though there would be very good options outside of Indy. He would be high in demand.

How would  the Colt  get him they have no 1st rounder and no player that they could package?

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but I recall the comments differently, and the timing also suggestive. 

I don't recall a lot of "we want Phil back". I recall more "we'll talk and see where both parties are" type of positioning.

And it felt like both the retirement and trade happened quickly. Not saying Wentz was the day one target, but just Ballard was already looking to make a move. If as reported, Colts tried to get in the game for Stafford, that whole situation started going down even before Rivers announced. And then there's Sirianni interviewing, and being named HC about the same time as River's announcement. Just overall felt like it was pretty obvious we moved on. 

Just to put it on paper:

Colts season ends on 1/9, loss to the Bills. Post game presser, Reich says 'I want Rivers to be the QB next year.' (This is a couple weeks after Reich said he thought Rivers had multiple years left in him.)  

On 1/14, Ballard speaks and says Rivers is deciding if he wants to keep playing, and the team is deciding if they'll keep him, but he still thinks they can win a SB with Rivers. They'll all take a month and reach a conclusion. (Not quite as strong of an endorsement as I remembered, but definitely not a 'we're moving on' kind of statement, IMO.)

On 1/20, six days later (and just 11 days after the Colts' season ended), Rivers decides to retire. 

It was in August that Rivers said he'd be open to joining a team late in the season, not November (I felt like he said it on the Manning Cast, but it was before that). Still just felt like a recently retired player getting the itch, right when camp is opening.

My own speculation was that they would have him back at a lower price tag. But the quickness of the decision makes me think he was ready to hang it up.

The Stafford trade didn't get going until late January, and reports indicate it happened quickly. I don't think Ballard was ever really in on it. The Wentz trade happened in mid February. 

On 1/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, tvturner said:

The Eagles would be absolutely dumb to do that

Hurts has so far had a better start to his career than Lamar had

Totally agree. It's just the feeling I get - never got the impression that GM would settle with him.

I fully expect Wentz to be given one more shot to remediate his career.  If he shows next year to be just like this year, then I’d say they cut ties with him after 2022. 

I kind of like Mariota.  Still think he can be pretty good if not facing nagging injuries. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, ColtJax said:

Team that are/will be looked for a new QB for 22'

Washington- Heinke

Carolina- Darnold

Denver- Bridgewater

Pittsburg- Roethlisberger

Teams that MAY bein the hunt:

Saints- Winston

Colts- Wentz

Vikings- Cousins

Giants- Brown

Teams that might listen to trade offers:

Packers- Rogers- Older player (38) but can still sling it. Cost will be very high.

Seahawks- Wilson- Some of his skills are falling off, but the Seahawks will want multiple 1st rounders.

Atlanta- Ryan- Older player, still playing well. Atlanta will still want a bunch

San Fran- Jimmy G- San Fran will ask for a #1, and might get it..

Vikings- Cousins- Good quality player, he won't be cheap..

Browns- Mayfield0- If the Browns cut him it won't be for a lot, he's struggling

Lions- Goff- I see a lot of Wentz in him, and so does a lot of others.

Texan's--Watson - The ultimate wild card. If he's cleared he'll fetch 3 1st round picks.

Havent read whole thread....but if not Wentz, I think we end up with Carr....

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Just to put it on paper:

Colts season ends on 1/9, loss to the Bills. Post game presser, Reich says 'I want Rivers to be the QB next year.' (This is a couple weeks after Reich said he thought Rivers had multiple years left in him.)  

On 1/14, Ballard speaks and says Rivers is deciding if he wants to keep playing, and the team is deciding if they'll keep him, but he still thinks they can win a SB with Rivers. They'll all take a month and reach a conclusion. (Not quite as strong of an endorsement as I remembered, but definitely not a 'we're moving on' kind of statement, IMO.)

On 1/20, six days later (and just 11 days after the Colts' season ended), Rivers decides to retire. 

It was in August that Rivers said he'd be open to joining a team late in the season, not November (I felt like he said it on the Manning Cast, but it was before that). Still just felt like a recently retired player getting the itch, right when camp is opening.

My own speculation was that they would have him back at a lower price tag. But the quickness of the decision makes me think he was ready to hang it up.

The Stafford trade didn't get going until late January, and reports indicate it happened quickly. I don't think Ballard was ever really in on it. The Wentz trade happened in mid February. 

I'd add that there was rumor of the Stafford/Goff deal long before the deal got done. Even NFL.com said it was a done deal on Jan30. There was also early rumors about us and Philly, and that Ballard waited them out (they were asking for 2x 1Rs. 

We'll never know. But I put more stock into the bolded than anything else. Purely my opinion, but I don't think they say the bolded at all if they really want him back. Could of also been a low ball breakdown. I don't see Rivers being someone to suffer fools, and if he's not feeling like the priority, he'd just say "I'm out"... Rivers played his behind off vs Buf, and we lost that game due to D. If we didn't offer him what he made in 2020, I don't blame him for saying no thanks. But I still believe we made the decision early. The Sirianni timing that pretty much mirrored the Rivers timing, is also an easy one to toss in the mix. 

13 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I fully expect Wentz to be given one more shot to remediate his career.  If he shows next year to be just like this year, then I’d say they cut ties with him after 2022. 

I kind of like Mariota.  Still think he can be pretty good if not facing nagging injuries. 

I really don't think the Colts have much choice. We pretty much have to go with Wentz. There aren't any quarterbacks in free agency that are better...... I doubt we draft one especially since we don't have a pic in the first round...... And I seriously doubt we trade for one. I think the Colts will be forced to go with Wentz at least one more season. Hopefully they can get him some more weapons and he gets full offseason with the team.

40 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I really don't think the Colts have much choice. We pretty much have to go with Wentz. There aren't any quarterbacks in free agency that are better...... I doubt we draft one especially since we don't have a pic in the first round...... And I seriously doubt we trade for one. I think the Colts will be forced to go with Wentz at least one more season. Hopefully they can get him some more weapons and he gets full offseason with the team.

Or, just maybe, Wentz can pull his head out of his 4th Point of Contact and strap up.

22 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Colts won’t have draft capital for Wilson or Carr but they will have is a couple of players they can trade with some picks.

Ryan Kelly and Khari Willis are two names that could be in some trade discussions.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The worst part is if there isn’t a upgrade he trashed Carson. Now how does he come back when the GM says that about you. 

You know, he could use it as motivation to get better. Or not. But he is running out of opportunities. Don’t like what’s being said, change the narrative.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

How about needing surgery at year end

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The worst part is if there isn’t a upgrade he trashed Carson. Now how does he come back when the GM says that about you. 

I was thinking the same thing. Wentz has to be thinking my own GM doesn't believe in me, that alone can be a chemistry problem. I am not sure what the answer is but I am sure with better QB play and a different D scheme this team would've won 11 games at worse. A lot of people like to blame the head coach for losses. Losses are a team thing but the 2 area's I have looked at hard in those last 2 losses are QB play and the D just continuing to give up easy short passes to bad to average QB's. Wentz had a 4.4 QBR against Jacks and look at how many times the D got shredded by the TE's and the short pass in general. Look at many times we got very little pressure on the QB. That isn't Reich's fault. That is on Eburflus regarding the D. I don't want to waste Taylor's career so we need to make some key moves, that is up to Ballard who I think is a good GM at worse who has had made some great moves. I trust him.

Archived