Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Interview @ 6pm tonight (1075 The Fan)

Colt Overseas

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a summary 

1. Ballard is encouraged with them getting better each week.

2. Ballard said he new there would be a acclimation period with Wentz. Encouraged where he is at. Likes his confidence. Said he is playing good football.

3. Ballard said they really liked what Ehlinger did in preseason. 

4. On Jonathon Taylor Ballard laughs and said sometimes you  get lucky. Worked hard on passing game.

6. On injuries-Nobody wants to hear excuse on injuries. Team needs to find ways to win even with injuries.

7. On Pittman-Last year saw Michael really improving end of last year. Pittman had a huge committment to be great. It’s been fun watching him have success.

8. Defense-Pass rush been solid. Are in middle of league in sacks. Getting better. Praises Grover Stewart. Lewis injury unfortunate because he was playing good football. 

9. On Leonard-Darius has great knack for getting ball out in big moments. Did it in college too.

10.Paas defense-Ballard sounds dejected abour this. Has to tighten that up and it has to get better and defense coaches no that. Some technical stuff needs to be cleaned up. Rush and secondary have to work together. Defensive staff is working hard to improve it.

Guessing we'll here a lot of GM spiel:

• He thinks overall we're in a good spot..
  • We've had a few "unfortunate" losses..
  • He trusts Frank and the coaching staff..
  • Neatly maneuvering around the tough questions.. if the reporters have the cojonas to ask them..

Fact is we've regressed this season. Yeah, we've had some injuries, but so have every single team in this league and some (the Ravens) have had it far worse are still competing.

Seeing the results so far I have lost a little faith in Ballard and his angle on teambuilding. The offense is really getting going, granted. Still needs one or two elite skillplayers for us to get really elite. The defense is atrocious. We still have half a season ahead of us, so if by some stroke of luck Paye and Dayo find their inner Aaron Donald we might turn out just below average... might.

I'd like to see him owning some of that, but I honestly don't expect it.

Bring the sunshine @NewColtsFan @Four2itus I could use a good laugh right about now. :D

34 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

• Neatly maneuvering around the tough questions.. if the reporters have the cojonas to ask them..

Fact is we've regressed this season. Yeah, we've had some injuries, but so have every single team in this league and some (the Ravens) have had it far worse are still competing.

Seeing the results so far I have lost a little faith in Ballard and his angle on teambuilding. The offense is really getting going, granted. Still needs one or two elite skillplayers for us to get really elite. The defense is atrocious. We still have half a season ahead of us, so if by some stroke of luck Paye and Dayo find their inner Aaron Donald we might turn out just below average... might.

Bring the sunshine @NewColtsFan @Four2itus I could use a good laugh right about now. :D

For the last two weeks I’ve said I don’t believe we will make the playoffs.  

Does that sound like sunshine?

Last week I excoriated Reich (who I really like) about his screen call.  I said it was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in my lifetime.   I further expressed strong concern about the input he’s getting or not getting from his offensive coaching staff.

This week,  someone asked when will the defense get better?    I bluntly said our secondary was a disaster and added without more pressure from the front four nothing was going to change.   And further stated that even if we are lucky enough to make the post-season, a playoff caliber QB is going to pick us apart and we’ll be quickly eliminated. 

Ive got credibility with enough people here precisely because I’m willing to be brutally honest even against people I like and support and believe in. 

But,  Im also willing to call nonsense on some of the sillier threads.   I’m routinely mocked over my posting the Ballard story where he points to “Delayed Gratification.”   I knew when I made that post who would support it, and who wouldn’t.   Who would understand it and who wouldn’t.   I’ve yet to be surprised by any reaction good or bad.   I’ll always support a good GM who sees the Big Picture and has the long term interest of his franchise in mind.   Taking a player like Dayo is a classic example.   I support GMs in all sports who make smart moves like that.   

I’m a fan with patience.   I’ve always been that way in all sports.   I don’t jump off the bandwagon during a disappointing season.  If that makes me someone throwing sunshine, so be it.   I like the world I live in much more than the second guessers around here.  

Sorry this went so long.      :peek:

53 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Here is a summary 

2. Ballard said he new there would be a acclimation period with Wentz. Encouraged where he is at. Likes his confidence. Said he is playing good football.

4. On Jonathon Taylor Ballard laughs and said sometimes you  get lucky. Worked hard on passing game.

6. On injuries-Nobody wants to hear excuse on injuries. Team needs to find ways to win even with injuries.

7. On Pittman-Last year saw Michael really improving end of last year. Pittman had a huge committment to be great. It’s been fun watching him have success.

8. Defense-Pass rush been solid. Are in middle of league in sacks. Getting better. Praises Grover Stewart. Lewis injury unfortunate because he was playing good football. 

9. On Leonard-Darius has great knack for getting ball out in big moments. Did it in college too.

10.Paas defense-Ballard sounds dejected abour this. Has to tighten that up and it has to get better and defense coaches no that. Some technical stuff needs to be cleaned up. Rush and secondary have to work together. Defensive staff is working hard to improve it.

Yeah there wasn't too many tough questions asked. I think you have summarised it very well. You make a good last point, in that Ballard says that the 'coaches know they need to work hard at' when it comes to the pass defense. It feels like Ballard isn't happy with the level of play, but all we can do is read between the lines with this interview.

5 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yeah there wasn't too many tough questions asked. I think you have summarised it very well. You make a good last point, in that Ballard says that the 'coaches know they need to work hard at' when it comes to the pass defense. It feels like Ballard isn't happy with the level of play, but all we can do is read between the lines with this interview.

He was clearly very dejected about that. He was pretty positive with everything else. Defensive coaches are going to have to show they can get better or I do think Eberflus will be gone. Reich didn’t sound happy in his interview with co tent creators either. 

We probably won’t get Ballard real thoughts about his screwups or defense until after the season. He is usually pretty honest at the end of the season. Can’t throw anyone under the bus yet.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a yawn. State controlled media... I don't know why Chris Ballard isn't doing as much media this season as he has in previous years, but I don't like it.

Its very disappointing, considering he prides himself on being openly transparent with the fans and all. He used to do quarterly discussions with the media going back to his earlier years with the Colts. 

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Its very disappointing, considering he prides himself on being openly transparent with the fans and all. He used to do quarterly discussions with the media going back to his earlier years with the Colts. 

Ballard always goes into hiding when the season starts. Yes he missed the first quarter update but he never puts himself out there to the media. I actually like that. He doesn’t step on coaches toes during the season. He has only missed one quarter update this season. He missed one or two last season too.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Here is a summary 

He’s not happy with the pass defense but honestly look who we are down to.  Many of the players getting significant reps now in the secondary were not even on the opening day roster.  The coaches can coach hard but if the talent is borderline then they are stuck.  Willis, Blackmon, Carrie among those missing significant time.  The players he brought in to try and replace them haven’t exactly set the world on fire.  Maybe he should look into the mirror and and ask himself if could have done more to help fill some holes besides counting on FA tryouts to fill the holes.  Seriously.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I haven't lost faith because the ravens have had Lamar several years. That chemistry they built over that time allows them to win the close games even wit new pieces stepping in. I think we will fair alot better next year having the same QB multiple years in row for first time in Frank Reich era

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Thats what we need is "REALLY ELITE".
 Any chance you are the DRIVELLER poster i sent to purgatory a few years back? 
I have enough sense to wait till the middle of next season after our extreme youth has been on the field together a great deal more before Ballard may sit in judgement. MAY!  

Just now, EastStreet said:

Just listened to it.

Total coach speak. He's been heavy coach speak in the past, but this one just felt totally scripted. 

Would prefer to see him do a presser.

He isn’t going to say much in the middle of season to undermine coaches and players. He will be much more honest when the season is over.

5 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich also did a interview with content creators today and this is what he said about pass coverage.

More man coverage? Yes please.

I’d rather get beat bad being aggressive than die a slow death playing it conservatively.

We’ll have to see if anything changes.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

He isn’t going to say much in the middle of season to undermine coaches and players. He will be much more honest when the season is over.

He doesn't have to bash in specifics. 

And more importantly, thought he might be a little more detailed on things in general. But it was nothing but fluffy and seemed as Supe said, "state-controlled". 

Like I said, would prefer a presser. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Thank you.   The Usual Suspects predictably disagree.   You’ve got this right. 

Ballard pulled every punch.   The least forthcoming interview I’ve ever heard from him.   But you’re right.   When he meets with the media in January after the season he will say much more then than he did today for obvious reasons.  

8 hours ago, Superman said:

This is a yawn. State controlled media... I don't know why Chris Ballard isn't doing as much media this season as he has in previous years, but I don't like it.

Yea no doubt, having Matt Taylor spoon feed questions keeps the heat off and keeps the control of the interview more in Ballard's court.  I totally agree that he needs to be out there more. I think the absolute implosions they've had on defense has kept him silent. He just very briefly addressed the question asked of the defense allowing a stunning 70% completion rate. I would have liked to have heard Matt Taylor offer a minute at the end of the interview for a message to the fans....perhaps he didn't because he wasn't asked, but he could have asked to do it himself. Something like "We bleed right with the fans during the losses, we're here at ground-zero and we all feel the pain together", etc. Perhaps he thinks that would ring hollow.  It would have be nice to know something a bit more about the sheer gravity of the defensive failures on the outcomes of games and what specifically is being done about it.  

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Because him and Irsay bumped up expectations, gave up big money and pick compensation for QB, spent all the money we had in reserve for extensions and we are under .500 3 games under AFC South lead. 

It's easier to talk when there are positives to sell in the grand picture. It's much harder when you look mediocre and set up to be mediocre going forward. :dunno: This team is stuck in mud and quite honestly I don't see much of a path to legit contention in the foreseeable future. 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm guessing it's because of the the Hard Knocks spin and he'll give a lot more insight on the show this year.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

More man coverage? Yes please.

I’d rather get beat bad being aggressive than die a slow death playing it conservatively.

We’ll have to see if anything changes.

They are committed to our coverage scheme for better or worse but I do like that Reich mentioned that coverage needs to be stickier. I recently posted that coverage needs to be stickier when a receiver enters a defender’s zone.  Hopefully we see more of that going forward. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Because him and Irsay bumped up expectations, gave up big money and pick compensation for QB, spent all the money we had in reserve for extensions and we are under .500 3 games under AFC South lead. 

It's easier to talk when there are positives to sell in the grand picture. It's much harder when you look mediocre and set up to be mediocre going forward. :dunno: This team is stuck in mud and quite honestly I don't see much of a path to legit contention in the foreseeable future. 

Just listened to the press-release(Ballard "interview"). I underestimated the ability of Colts internal media to hit every glimmer of hope, twist mediocrity into a positive and avoid all worrying signs in an interview with the team's GM. If you listen to that interview you would think we are 7-2 and poised for home playoff games. 

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Yea no doubt, having Matt Taylor spoon feed questions keeps the heat off and keeps the control of the interview more in Ballard's court.  I totally agree that he needs to be out there more. I think the absolute implosions they've had on defense has kept him silent. He just very briefly addressed the question asked of the defense allowing a stunning 70% completion rate. I would have liked to have heard Matt Taylor offer a minute at the end of the interview for a message to the fans....perhaps he didn't because he wasn't asked, but he could have asked to do it himself. Something like "We bleed right with the fans during the losses, we're here at ground-zero and we all feel the pain together", etc. Perhaps he thinks that would ring hollow.  It would have be nice to know something a bit more about the sheer gravity of the defensive failures on the outcomes of games and what specifically is being done about it.  

Just plain WEIRD!

What is being done? You play with the players you have. What the heck else do you do? 

He said everything one should already know. Our young pass rushers will keep working to get better. It is a learning experience. Lewis was a loss!

Our secondary is not up to snuff. Tough luck. Perhaps you think Ballard should threaten Odum to play like Jamal Adams next Sunday or we will cut you. Same with Rock, do it, or be cut. Leonard for gosh sakes cover somebody!  And just like that your something is done.

Our safeties? Below mediocre and no experience playing together.

SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!  

Pretty cool how KC & Buffalo collapses are because D'S ARE playing them with cover-2, making them throw underneath and run the ball. They are turning the ball over, sound familiar, and not running well. 

GET a CLUE!

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thats what we need is "REALLY ELITE".
 Any chance you are the DRIVELLER poster i sent to purgatory a few years back? 
I have enough sense to wait till the middle of next season after our extreme youth has been on the field together a great deal more before Ballard may sit in judgement. MAY!  

First of all you obviously missed the point of me talking about THIS season. We may get better next season. We may get better in 4 seasons. Doesn't change the fact we have regressed THIS season.

Second, my response isn't build on this season alone. We have needed a better pass rush for multiple seasons now (time enough to start questioning Ballard's approach) and Ballard has been unable to improve it. I get you at some point have to let your aging DEs walk, but replacing them with rookies is not the way to improve it when we need the production NOW.

Building through the draft is hit and miss even for the best GMs. It'll get to the point where we have to let our elite veterans walk before we get anywhere near the Super Bowl if we keep using a "1 step back, 2 steps forward" approach. At some point we have to bring in elite FAs to get over the hump.

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

I haven't lost faith because the ravens have had Lamar several years. That chemistry they built over that time allows them to win the close games even wit new pieces stepping in. I think we will fair alot better next year having the same QB multiple years in row for first time in Frank Reich era

I get Frank hasn't had a QB for multiple seasons, but I don't think Wentz being here next year is going to make Pascal, Patmon, Dulin, Strachan, Mo, Granson or Doyle elite IMHO. It certainly won't improve the defense...

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the last two weeks I’ve said I don’t believe we will make the playoffs.  

Last week I excoriated Reich (who I really like) about his screen call.  I said it was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in my lifetime.   I further expressed strong concern about the input he’s getting or not getting from his offensive coaching staff.

This week,  someone asked when will the defense get better?    I bluntly said our secondary was a disaster and added without more pressure from the front four nothing was going to change.   And further stated that even if we are lucky enough to make the post-season, a playoff caliber QB is going to pick us apart and we’ll be quickly eliminated. 

Ive got credibility with enough people here precisely because I’m willing to be brutally honest even against people I like and support and believe in. 

But,  Im also willing to call nonsense on some of the sillier threads.   I’m routinely mocked over my posting the Ballard story where he points to “Delayed Gratification.”   I knew when I made that post who would support it, and who wouldn’t.   Who would understand it and who wouldn’t.   I’ve yet to be surprised by any reaction good or bad.   I’ll always support a good GM who sees the Big Picture and has the long term interest of his franchise in mind.   Taking a player like Dayo is a classic example.   I support GMs in all sports who make smart moves like that.   

I’m a fan with patience.   I’ve always been that way in all sports.   I don’t jump off the bandwagon during a disappointing season.  If that makes me someone throwing sunshine, so be it.   I like the world I live in much more than the second guessers around here.  

Sorry this went so long.      :peek:

Good on you. Sorry I missed those posts, I apologise for that, sincerely. :thmup:

But... going by your own words here, I'm guessing you no longer are a Colts fan then? I mean, you've had patience, but have now given criticizism of Frank, his offensive staff and the defense. You're off the bandwagon, right?... I'm guessing no. I cheer for our guys in blue and white every week. I compliment the good, I criticize the bad. Criticizing doesn't mean I'm not on the bandwagon and don't even insinuate that, I take offense to it...

Don't apologise for the long post. I called you out, you responded in kind. No harm in that. :thmup:

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich also did a interview with content creators today and this is what he said about pass coverage.

Well, duh, isn't the goal of all pass coverage to be sticky with a good pass rush.  Sounds like the coaches know exactly what they need, but can't get it done with the players that take the field.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Second, my response isn't build on this season alone. We have needed a better pass rush for multiple seasons now (time enough to start questioning Ballard's approach) and Ballard has been unable to improve it. I get you at some point have to let your aging DEs walk, but replacing them with rookies is not the way to improve it when we need the production NOW.

Why do we need the production NOW?

Ballard should be positive in that interview. It’s not like the team has completely fallen apart. The offense did finally start clicking after everyone started playing together and got more practice time. We have a star RB and WR. Wentz isn’t broken and has been great. Most of the areas on this team have been pretty good after the slow start. Pass coverage is really been the only weakness now and Ballard was clearly disapointed. I don’t know what fans want him to say. If fans would accept the pass rush was a evaluation year of the young pass rushers it will make it easier to understand. When the season is over we will get Ballard’s true feelings of why he didn’t go out and get a vet.  We have a bright future especially on offense. Just need to fix some areas on the defense.

Someone should ask Ballard why our defense is so atrocious, why our DBs can’t cover a guy to save their life, and how he’s going to change that before the season ends so we can save our season before it’s ended by mediocre QBs.

And they should phrase it like that, if not more harshly.

6 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Someone should ask Ballard why our defense is so atrocious, why our DBs can’t cover a guy to save their life, and how he’s going to change that before the season ends so we can save our season before it’s ended by mediocre QBs.

Can't cook good food without the right groceries. :) 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Seriously? We have been in pretty much every game, we have been 1 or 2 plays away from winning most of the big ones we have lost against good football teams, all while shooting ourselves in the foot repeatedly and a defensive backfield that is in shambles injury-wise?

This team is a few key defensive pieces away from being a legit contender. The offense is getting better and better every week, even with no TY and the offensive line health issues up until now. 

The defensive front has been good, pass rush a bit lacking, but we only just got Dayo in (who no one expects more than  learning year from this year due to his injury) and Paye who is a rookie, but is doing really well. The safety position has been DECIMATED with injury, and our corners havent fared ideally. The progression of Paye and Dayo, plus maybe an additional Vet, and help in the secondary and this team wouldnt look to have that many (if any) weaknesses.... Other than potentially shooting ourselves in the foot - which any team is capable of.

I don't get the doom and gloom around this team right now.... We knew the start of the schedule was gonna be hard to overcome, but have patience.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Why do we need the production NOW?

Well you kinda skipped the part where I explained it. If we keep taking one step back to take two steps forward we’ll get to a point where we have to pay our vets their 2nd or 3rd contracts and we can’t keep them all. Then we will have to replace them and it all basically starts over. At a certain point you have to accept we‘re as good as we’re going to get through the draft and pay FAs to get us over the hump. 

16 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I'll say it again and I apologize for keep bringing it up but he should sign Tre Boston to play FS and one major hole in the defense is filled for the remainder of the year. JMO

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think that's it. And you're far more pessimistic than I am about the state of the team. Regardless, Ballard has never run away from the media, and I don't think that's what he's doing now. But I expected a quarterly update, and it didn't happen. Then yesterday's interview was kind of pointless. 

I've been a Colts fan for a long time. I remember The Polian Corner, an hour each week, with lots of insight and perspective. I don't need that, but more than 10 minutes every 9 weeks would be nice.

And maybe it's due to Hard Knocks, where we'll get plenty of insight and perspective. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'll say it again and I apologize for keep bringing it up but he should sign Tre Boston to play FS and one major hole in the defense is filled for the remainder of the year. JMO

Tre Boston does not want to be a Colt.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tre Boston does not want to be a Colt.

Why do you say that?  Is it an opinion or is it based on something he said?

For the right price, he has to be better than anything we have out there right now with Willis out.

Archived