Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jets at Colts Post Game Thoughts....

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I really wish they'd covert Rock to FS or SS.  He's probably best suited for SS, but we have guys that can do that.  We really need a FS that can cover behind.  Blackmon hasn't proved he's going to be able to do that, and didn't improve in the games he was in this year as far as I could tell.  He'd probably make a better FS.  Rock should have better cover skills than Blackmon.  

I just don't think RYS is all that valuable as a CB.  I really want him to be good because he's a wrestling man.  Just not fast enough to play corner IMO.   Seems clear. 

3rd Safety/Nickel corner hybrid maybe? 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

3rd Safety/Nickel corner hybrid maybe? 

Probably, but Rock wants to freaking just maul people and I think he would be best suited for that as safety, and I'd love to see him get a chance to come down from a safety spot and lay the lumber ala Bob Sanders. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

We aren't just a tampa 2 defense. We are a really a combo of zone cover 2/3. We play alot of both. Prime example of us in cover 3 is the TD that Rhodes gave up last night

Well if we play much tampa, the covering LB apparently isn't aware of it LOL. 

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think we are starting to see flashes from Paye and Dayo. That is very good news. Ballard has to fix the secondary and Eberflus needs to go. Get a couple upgrades in the secondary. Add a vet pass rusher and get Wentz another weapon I think we will be on our way to being a much better team. Those things don’t seem too hard to fix in the offseason.

Offseason moves 
1. Vet Pass Rusher
2. Fix secondary 
3. Big time WR
4. Fire Eberflus 
These things don’t seem like they will be hard to fix in the offseason.

He could upgrade the secondary today by signing  FS Tre Boston.  He could help us immediately for a playoff run.  I read an article not long ago suggesting that if Rodgers is traded then Adams would leave the Packers via FA and that the Colts would be one of the favorites to sign him.  

24 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

All teams play zone at some point. It's a gross over simplification to point at our D and say the whole issue it's because it's 'zone'. For sure there's a discussion about the zone vs man weighting, what shells we show/use, blitzing rates, and all round schematic concepts, but just wildly saying zone D is ineffective isn't really saying much.

There was a lot of bad/sloppy execution last night, and dare I say lack of effort in the 4th. Busted coverages aplenty which suggests players were either not understanding their responsibility, or handing off opponents correctly (when in zone).

matter of fact all teams play zone most of the time except KC who sucks.

Every other team according to PFF plays zone more than half the time. 

:cheer2::excited::cheer::cheers::headspin::monkeydance:
I predicted a close game. I was hoping we could have seen more of the QB’s talent(Bengals wish they hadn’t)… but, welcome to the party, pal!

The ground attack looked very impressive with our running backs.

But one thing that was very strange…do some fans have a curfew?

On my post before the game, I mentioned the 12th Man. The noise was awesome in the first half when the Jets had the ball. In the second half the noise faded and a lot of fans left the game :scratch:

We gave them a chance to score points in the second half and kinda nerve racking until we intercepted the deflected pass.

The different scenario could have been a touchdown with a two point conversion, an onside kick recovery and a lucky freakin’ pass for a touchdown with another lucky freakin’

two point conversion…game over, Jets Win!

Anything is possible until the scoreboard reads 00:00!

We have more tough games to win.

Fans, stay and make noise until the game is over. If any fan that left early and reads my post and tells me to shut up, then, they just validated my post.

Time for bed.

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Some defenses adapt and do different things well, but many of the best do not.  Tampa early 2000s stayed in T2 almost exclusively.  Legion of Boom in Seattle were almost always in the same C3.  The Bears 46 was pretty much the same most times too.  Always in man and always blitzing. 

Balt does some different stuff, but mixing coverages and stunting, etc. isn't always the solution.  The best defenses have often been vanilla.  Now very good like French vanilla, or like that bean vanilla stuff or the vanilla custard you can get at culver's

It's usually personnel that makes the difference.  Brady was on Peyton and Eli and each man said they had trouble v. the vanilla TB and SEA D's more so than the really complex ones.

Our greatest concern is one of personnel IMO. 

I disagree. While there is a base 'look', defenses need to flex and adapt according to each play. "No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Gen. D. Eisenhower.

Rock is horrible and Rhodes is done. Both our starting safeties are out so we have the D- replacements back there. Add to that we get little pass rush to take pressure off. Unless we find a solution Brady and Allen are going to pass for as much as they want and both their teams will route us.. I just don't want to see the Jags pass for 400 yards on us, damn I have to listen to their talk radio every day as it is..

21 hours ago, James said:

We won, yet I am still annoyed. Actually kinda angry. The Colts defense is a disaster. A third-string QB is slicing up Indy’s starters. The defense continues to be abysmal, and Eberblus and his soft scheme will experience no consequences. This should have been a 40+ for the Colts and below 14 points for the Jets sort of games. 

Why cant the Colts simply focus and play proper defense despite of being far ahead? I wanted to do to the Jets what the Saints did to us in the 60+ burger game. The Saints still played proper defense ALL the way through. Not this soft stuff from Eberflus.

The Colts make every no name QB look great. 3 TDs for.... Josh Johnson, are you kidding me?!

This game exemplifies everything right AND wrong with the defense.

Big turnovers but no consistency in terms of stopping the pass. 

Josh Johnson and Mike White went 34 of 52 for 412 yards, 4 TDs and 0.

Simply pathetic. 

Downright embarrassing to see that stat line put up on you.

Please terminate Eberflus’ contract and change the scheme. Show some accountability, Irsay. The playmakers will still be there, but the Colts need consistency. Not just the occasional big play on defense.

And don’t give me “garbage time”. They did it the whole 2nd half, and other no named QBs have carved up the Colts as well. We allowed over 450 yards of offense... to the Jets.

And u guys wonder why Reich is so aggressive?  I think he has no faith in his D. I criticized Reich after the last game ,but when we were up by 2 scores and Reich went for it, everyone piled on him. Titans came back and scored and gained momentum. I have said this before about his lack of faith in the D. And why always pile on Flus. The talent on the D side of the ball is garbage. Name me one player. Oh, yeah Leonard. Like I have said great play maker but still paid to much. Name the last game where Leonard's dominance was felt against a very good offensive team? 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And u guys wonder why Reich is so aggressive?  I think he has no faith in his D. I criticized Reich after the last game ,but when we were up by 2 scores and Reich went for it, everyone piled on him. Titans came back and scored and gained momentum. I have said this before about his lack of faith in the D. And why always pile on Flus. The talent on the D side of the ball is garbage. Name me one player. Oh, yeah Leonard. Like I have said great play maker but still paid to much. Name the last game where Leonard's dominance was felt against a very good offensive team? 

When was the last time a great defensive player’s dominance was felt against us? Aaron Donald is all I can come up with at the moment, so serious question. Is Fred Warner over paid? Leonard is not the issue. And I’m pretty sure the Titans felt Leonards presence. Did we not have them on the ropes, and did Leonard not have a pretty darn good game? It sure wasn’t Henry running all over us that won it for them. Seems like some misplaced anger at some of the players.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:44 PM, GoColts8818 said:

They are WAY too scared of getting beat deep they back off and let teams just slowly drive the ball down the field at will because the Colts have three guys guarding grass while there is a wide open WR underneath.  

Lol.  Really makes me wonder how the secondary practices.

FLUS: "No, no, guys!  You're too close to the receivers.  Back off another 10-15 yards.  Make sure they don't get behind you!!"

On 11/5/2021 at 10:13 PM, Btown_Colt said:

When was the last time a great defensive player’s dominance was felt against us? Aaron Donald is all I can come up with at the moment, so serious question. Is Fred Warner over paid? Leonard is not the issue. And I’m pretty sure the Titans felt Leonards presence. Did we not have them on the ropes, and did Leonard not have a pretty darn good game? It sure wasn’t Henry running all over us that won it for them. Seems like some misplaced anger at some of the players.

Lol. I am not in favor of resigning Nelson either 

We need a complete remake in the secondary. Im somewhat starting to agree with moving Blackmon over to SS and bringing a more rangy Eric Berry type guy at FS. Not that Eric Berrys grow on trees of course! Rock sort of seems like hes making some strides but if still bring in some competition. Id get rid of Rhodes and Carrie . I think Kenny and Isaiah are fine at Nickel. Every CB spot outside of that im bringing in new blood via the draft and FA. We need better athletes.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah that's only in certain situations cover 3 needs to be the base defense they use tampa 2 majority of the time when they have the lead like they did last night

They need to get rid of it completely 

Per PFF and some other articles, they go quarters and qqh on third, and with the lead. That's more or less prevent. 

I don't mind late, and when we're up a few scores, but it feels like we're going way soft way early at times. And just our cushion is way soft regardless of what coverage we're in. Not always, but way too much. I'd like to see more press especially in certain situations. 

On 11/5/2021 at 1:19 PM, Shive said:

I didn't mind most of the gadgetry, but I didn't care for that one too much. Maybe it sets up a pass from Sam that the defense assumes will be a run?

Anytime he comes in, I think Ds will assume gadget. 

In this specific circumstance, I hated that being his first play. And if you do want the QB to run, I'd prefer Wentz as he's just as fast, and is bigger (pile mover).

And I don't mind gadget stuff, just not with a guy who hasn't got one snap.

I did like the OT/TE pass, and have been waiting on that. But he's played, and he was also a TE turned OT.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:50 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, me too. I learned that with the Atlanta Braves this year. The Titans indirectly threw us a bone with the Derrick Henry injury so I feel we have somewhat of a shot of catching up because of good luck in that regard. I went through worse with the Braves for 81 games never going above .500 before the trade deadline. Anything can happen. You make the playoffs and you have a shot. My new thought process now that I've had the positive experience of my Atlanta Braves winning the WS. This is at least a good team. So we can root for something with some positivity.

I've pretty much given up on most hope of an AFCS title, and just more hopeful of a WC. Our D will have to come a long way the rest of the season, primarily our pass D, for us to make it. Even if we do, I don't see us see us doing much. But I'll watch and cheer. 

Thought the Titans would drop one vs LAR, but they found another way to win. Oh well. 

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Anytime he comes in, I think Ds will assume gadget. 

In this specific circumstance, I hated that being his first play. And if you do want the QB to run, I'd prefer Wentz as he's just as fast, and is bigger (pile mover).

And I don't mind gadget stuff, just not with a guy who hasn't got one snap.

I did like the OT/TE pass, and have been waiting on that. But he's played, and he was also a TE turned OT.

I got using Jacoby in place of Rivers last season, but Wentz is by far the superior QB and it doesn't make too much sense to put Sam in here. Maybe just putting him into the game throws up the gadget flag, so there's some degree of unpredictability, but from a personnel perspective, your 11 on the field is now worse. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised by something from this package, but I'm not a big fan just yet.

The Pinter TD pass could be very impactful with how much we like to have him as a 6th OL. Teams will have to account for him in some way even when he's just lined up to run block. There's the potential he releases uncovered and makes a play.

39 minutes ago, Shive said:

I got using Jacoby in place of Rivers last season, but Wentz is by far the superior QB and it doesn't make too much sense to put Sam in here. Maybe just putting him into the game throws up the gadget flag, so there's some degree of unpredictability, but from a personnel perspective, your 11 on the field is now worse. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised by something from this package, but I'm not a big fan just yet.

The Pinter TD pass could be very impactful with how much we like to have him as a 6th OL. Teams will have to account for him in some way even when he's just lined up to run block. There's the potential he releases uncovered and makes a play.

I really like Pinter this year. We've used him as the 6th OL to help Fisher, and he's graded very well doing so. He just brings an extra dimension. Looked like Wentz was surprised he was so open lol... Doubt that happens again, at least not for the next several games. But once teams ignore him again, I think Carson will be looking closer lol.. 

Agreed on Sam. Wentz is just superior on every level, so just don't see the need. Now if you want to bring him in along with Wentz, and bring Sam in as a second RB, and do some funny stuff, I'd be OK with that.

This is our current defensive backfield:

Kenny Moore (Stud player)

Khari Willis (Good but inconsistent)

Rock Ya Sin (Occasionally good, often bad)

Xavier Rhodes (Ok when healthy, never healthy)

Andrew Sendejo (Literal nobody who sucks at everything)

This is not good

8 hours ago, chickenMan said:

This is our current defensive backfield:

Kenny Moore (Stud player)

Khari Willis (Good but inconsistent)

Rock Ya Sin (Occasionally good, often bad)

Xavier Rhodes (Ok when healthy, never healthy)

Andrew Sendejo (Literal nobody who sucks at everything)

This is not good

I'd add... 

• Kenny Moore (Stud player) - 
    • Not playing stud like this year. Tied for most TDs given up (on the team), and has 6 missed tackles. 
  • Khari Willis (Good but inconsistent)
    • Really good playing in the box, bad on verts playing C2
  • Rock Ya Sin (Occasionally good, often bad)
    • He's not often bad. He's easily our best CB and DB this year. Least yards given up, lowest pass completion %, and zero missed tackles. 
  • Xavier Rhodes (Ok when healthy, never healthy)
  • Andrew Sendejo (Literal nobody who sucks at everything)
    • he had a great game vs TN, and has been playing great when asked to play SS. He's got the best/lowest passer rating allowed on the team by far out of our starters.... He's been poor playing out of position and has missed some Ts... . Don't ask him to play C2 verts or FS and he'll be fine.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:19 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

If you don’t think Buckner is a very good player this would be yet the latest example of  you displaying a complete lack of knowledge and understanding about all things football related. 

On 11/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, EastStreet said:

I'd add... 

• Kenny Moore (Stud player) - 
    • Not playing stud like this year. Tied for most TDs given up (on the team), and has 6 missed tackles. 
  • Khari Willis (Good but inconsistent)
    • Really good playing in the box, bad on verts playing C2
  • Rock Ya Sin (Occasionally good, often bad)
    • He's not often bad. He's easily our best CB and DB this year. Least yards given up, lowest pass completion %, and zero missed tackles. 
  • Xavier Rhodes (Ok when healthy, never healthy)
  • Andrew Sendejo (Literal nobody who sucks at everything)
    • he had a great game vs TN, and has been playing great when asked to play SS. He's got the best/lowest passer rating allowed on the team by far out of our starters.... He's been poor playing out of position and has missed some Ts... . Don't ask him to play C2 verts or FS and he'll be fine.

Thanks for the added detail. I admittedly don’t know DB coverages very well at all, so this added info makes my generalizations make more sense in my own head. Interesting how a DB can be great with one coverage and bad at another.

16 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Thanks for the added detail. I admittedly don’t know DB coverages very well at all, so this added info makes my generalizations make more sense in my own head. Interesting how a DB can be great with one coverage and bad at another.

Both Willis and Moore have gotten in the most trouble on verts, and that's not normally what they cover. Not sure if we're just playing them in more C2, or opponents are scheming specifically to get them vertical. I'd lean on us just playing them out of position if I had to bet. Sendejo though has been more than fine at SS. He's been surprisingly good and coverage, but also surprisingly missing tackles.. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Both Willis and Moore have gotten in the most trouble on verts, and that's not normally what they cover. Not sure if we're just playing them in more C2, or opponents are scheming specifically to get them vertical. I'd lean on us just playing them out of position if I had to bet. Sendejo though has been more than fine at SS. He's been surprisingly good and coverage, but also surprisingly missing tackles.. 

Hopefully the D coaches continue to let the guys play to their strengths then, as I don’t see the situation getting much better before FA. I think the guys listed above are who we’ve got the rest of the way, plus Rodgers and Carrie

14 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Hopefully the D coaches continue to let the guys play to their strengths then, as I don’t see the situation getting much better before FA. I think the guys listed above are who we’ve got the rest of the way, plus Rodgers and Carrie

I'd be happy with 

FS Carrie / Jones

SS Sendejo / Odum

CB1 RYS / Rodgers

CB2 Rhodes / Rodgers

NB Moore / Rodgers

On 11/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

If you don’t think Buckner is a very good player this would be yet the latest example of  you displaying a complete lack of knowledge and understanding about all things football related. 

I think Buckner is elite. The secondary sucks and lbs r weak. Sure Leoanrd is a great play maker but is weak in pass coverage. I have always said Buckner is a stud. I thought they got him early. By thy time this D is good, if ever,, Buckner will be in older and declining. 

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Buckner is elite. The secondary sucks and lbs r weak. Sure Leoanrd is a great play maker but is weak in pass coverage. I have always said Buckner is a stud. I thought they got him early. By thy time this D is good, if ever,, Buckner will be in older and declining. 

I responded to a specific passage…..

“The defensive personnel is garbage.   Name one one good player.   Oh yeah, Leonard.”

No mention of Buckner.   Now you say you think he’s elite.   The story always seems to change a little.   A sports message board version of Whack-a-Mole. 

On 11/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, Nickster said:

Probably, but Rock wants to freaking just maul people and I think he would be best suited for that as safety, and I'd love to see him get a chance to come down from a safety spot and lay the lumber ala Bob Sanders. 

I think a change from CB, just when he seems to be rounding out, may not be in the cards though

We need to muddle thru this year, and get serious in the off season at FS in either the draft or a FA

Archived