Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Titans at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

This one hurts. It does. This is not the season any of us expected and the fact that we're gonna lose our first round pick makes it even worse. Don't get me wrong, I think Wentz is a good QB and I'm glad he's here, but he had a chance twice to go win the game and he didn't.

Nope not a good day for Wentz and if this was a one year situation like with Rivers I’d be more upset about it.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not happy about today, but this isn’t the end for this Colts team in general.  In a lot of ways it’s the start, clearly not for this season but in terms of the Wentz era in Indy.

17 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Here’s a crazy stat.

1981: 2-14

1991: 1-15

2001: 6-10

2011: 2-14

2021: 3-5 so far

Seasons ending in 1: 14-58

Are we cursed on years ending with 1

It seems like the theme this season is heartbreaking losses

First the rams game, then the Baltimore game, now the Titans game

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Are we cursed on years ending with 1

It seems like the theme this season is heartbreaking losses

First the rams game, then the Baltimore game, now the Titans game

Coaching and discipline is lacking with this team. We got players trying to do to much, making bone headed mistakes cough Turay. Look at the Patriots they have less talent than the Colts but are better coached.  

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.  I was defending him early on when he had no practice time and when he was in 2 Sprainz mode (behind the shambolic OL).

He has every possible physical tool to facilitate elite play, and we have seen glimpses (mostly against bad teams - which is an important caveat).

But . . . it’s not consistent enough, and the level of decision-making today was so poor that the mere existence/threat of a level of decision-making this bad would be enough for me to avoid making Wentz a long-term answer (if I was in charge).

A YOLO-ball into triple coverage on first down in those circumstances, in a game of that magnitude, is like pushing your best friend out of an airplane without checking to see if his parachute was on.

Just my 2 cents.  I can understand people wanting to wait.  I was one of them.  Now I’d rather have the 1st round pick.  I’ve seen the best and worst versions of Wentz and the latter scares me more than the former excites me.

So

• Started the year with
    • Out a lot of camp
    • Foot surgery / bone removal, then two sprained ankles... 
    • OL devastated by injury and musical chairs. He was the most hit QB in the league until last week.... 
    • Only one (Pittman) of three assumed starting WRs (Pittman, Campbell, TY) has been available consistently
    • Has needed to play hero ball because our pass D sucks... 
  • He's played well in more than just against bad competition. He's had 60+ QBRs in 5 of 8 games. If you're looking at current QBRs, 60 is 10th... So top 10... Those games were LAR, Balt, Houston, Miami, and SF. That's two good teams, 2 bad, and a medium. Two of those, perhaps 3, have good pass rushes / pass Ds. Only two were bad.
  • He's still top 10 (low INTs) despite the poor decisions tonight. He should have never been put into the position to throw a screen on the goal line. And we should have been running more all game, perhaps never putting him in the position of hero baller to throw the 2nd.
  • You're not getting the first back short of a season ending injury. 

12 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Coaching and discipline is lacking with this team. We got players trying to do to much, making bone headed mistakes cough Turay. Look at the Patriots they have less talent than the Colts but are better coached.  

Every team in the league is out coached if you compare them to the Pats.  Frank was bad today not going to question that but he’s still a good head coach.  Is he a great head coach?  No.  However, great head coaches are few and far between.  Even good coaches are hard to find so if you find one you think long and hard before you fire them. I think it’s more realistic that Irsay goes to Frank this off-season and makes him give up play calling and maybe they make a change at DC.  

I wouldn’t have an issue with those two moves but I doubt Frank is going anywhere, not that you are saying he should.  

I agree part of the issue today was players trying to do too much.  Wentz was who I was thinking of.  Forcing the ball into triple coverage rather than taking the wide open RB underneath and trying to extend plays that just aren’t there rather than just throwing it away.  We saw it early in the 49ers game last week too but Frank got him back under control.  That’s the Carson Philly ran out of town.  However, it’s also the first game in eight that this Carson has shown up so hopefully it was just one bad game which all players can have.  

Discipline as a rule though shows up in penalties and turnovers.  Both were an issue today but at least penalties was a bigger issue for the Titans today.   Also, neither has been a major issue this year under Frank.  So I would take issue with the idea the Colts are undisciplined in general.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Every team in the league is out coached if you compare them to the Pats.  Frank was bad today not going to question that but he’s still a good head coach.  Is he a great head coach?  No.  However, great head coaches are few and far between.  Even good coaches are hard to find so if you find one you think long and hard before you fire them. I think it’s more realistic that Irsay goes to Frank this off-season and makes him give up play calling and maybe they make a change at DC.  

I wouldn’t have an issue with those two moves but I doubt Frank is going anywhere, not that you are saying he should.  

I agree part of the issue today was players trying to do too much.  Wentz was who I was thinking of.  Forcing the ball into triple coverage rather than taking the wide open RB underneath and trying to extend plays that just aren’t there rather than just throwing it away.  We saw it early in the 49ers game last week too but Frank got him back under control.  That’s the Carson Philly ran out of town.  However, it’s also the first game in eight that this Carson has shown up so hopefully it was just one bad game which all players can have.  

Discipline as a rule though shows up in penalties and turnovers.  Both were an issue today but at least penalties was a bigger issue for the Titans today.   Also, neither has been a major issue this year under Frank.  So I would take issue with the idea the Colts are undisciplined in general.  

Frank Reich saw that and instead of helping Wentz and the O he completely ignored the running game. Both Reich and Wentz are to blame but Reich has to be the main reason 51/16 pass to run ratio is inexcusable.

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nope not a good day for Wentz and if this was a one year situation like with Rivers I’d be more upset about it.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not happy about today, but this isn’t the end for this Colts team in general.  In a lot of ways it’s the start, clearly not for this season but in terms of the Wentz era in Indy.

Don't get me wrong. I like Wentz. I think he can win for us, but this team did everything to help him win today and he didnt get the job done. It's these type of games where Wentz has to make the necessary plays to lead us to victory especially for what we gave up to get him and what he is getting paid.

Just now, CR91 said:

Don't get me wrong. I like Wentz. I think he can win for us, but this team did everything to help him win today and he didnt get the job done. It's these type of games where Wentz has to make the necessary plays to lead us to victory especially for what we gave up to get him and what he is getting paid.

No he didn’t.  It’s also the first time in eight games this Wentz showed up.  All players have bad games.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

To be fair, I think he needs better weapons. JT and Pittman alone aren’t gonna cut it.

12 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

To be fair, I think he needs better weapons. JT and Pittman alone aren’t gonna cut it.

I don't disagree with that, but imo Wentz did not do enough to win this game. Multiple times I saw throws that were high and throws that should never been thrown. That int in OT was inexcusable.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No he didn’t.  It’s also the first time in eight games this Wentz showed up.  All players have bad games.

I'm a big Wentz supporter, but I also have to call him out. That int in OT was a horrible decision.

22 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

We need to give Strachan a few of Dulins targets, and use TEs more. Wentz throws high and these bigger guys will help...I think if we trust JT and the run and stick to it our offense will open up more... can't get away from the balance like we do...

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I'm a big Wentz supporter, but I also have to call him out. That int in OT was a horrible decision.

JT had an easy first down with a good throw...

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I don’t disagree.  It’s one game he was bad today not arguing that point.  In fact I agree with it and have said it on my own.

I am just saying it’s one game and it’s fine to say hey he has to play better than he did today but people in general also need to remember today’s Wentz hasn’t shown up all season so people need to not over react to it.  If he does this the next few weeks yeah then it’s a major concern.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t disagree.  It’s one game he was bad today not arguing that point.  In fact I agree with it and have said it on my own.

I am just saying it’s one game and it’s fine to say hey he has to play better than he did today but people in general also need to remember today’s Wentz hasn’t shown up all season so people need to not over react to it.  If he does this the next few weeks yeah then it’s a major concern.

I have no concern with Wentz. I know his talent and I agree players have bad games. Even Peyton never batted 1.000, but I'm just saying in critical moments, in must win situations, you can't take those chances when the game is on the line.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I have no concern with Wentz. I know his talent and I agree players have bad games. Even Peyton never batted 1.000, but I'm just saying in critical moments, in must win situations, you can't take those chances when the game is on the line.

Then we agree and are saying the same thing because I’ve been critical of that INT too.

I guess I should be clear when I said no he didn’t I didn’t mean I didn’t agree with you said in fact it was the just opposite I was no he didn’t as in no he didn’t do the things you said he didn’t do to agree with you.

Did anyone on the Titans have more than 2 receptions besides AJ Brown? That's what gets me every time. The number 1 Receiving threat always feasts on us.. our defensive skill doesn't seem to match the scheme. 

12 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We took them to overtime lol. We aren’t that far off.

I'd like to think so. We had a couple good weeks, the media starts saying good stuff about us. We start feeling good about the Colts. Only to realize we've beaten

1-7 Dolphins

1-7 Texans

3-4 Niners :violin:

We'll feel good for the next couple weeks here in November (although the Jets did beat the AFC leading Bengal's) then I fully expect us to get smacked the f out against the Bills and Bucs. Let us up for a quick breather then back to the Pats, Cards, Raiders gauntlet. 2021 schedule sucks.. wth did we draw the Bucs on the first year of a RANDOM 17th game selection

11 hours ago, Myles said:

We would have won this game if Reich had a clue.  Up 14-0 with a 3rd and 3 near midfield.  Your RB is running great.  What is the good choice e here?  Pass long on 3rd and 4th downs was Reich's choice.  What a clueless scmuck he is

Yeah going for it on 4th down near mid field was a terrible decision that really was the beginning of the shift in momentum. And like you said, the refusal to run JT who had run great early on when Jeffrey Simmons was out, is head scratching. This  thing where Taylor is hot and then we suddenly stop using him was an issue last year as well. 

An then he gets virtually no action in OT. It’s really mind boggling.

7 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Frank Reich saw that and instead of helping Wentz and the O he completely ignored the running game. Both Reich and Wentz are to blame but Reich has to be the main reason 51/16 pass to run ratio is inexcusable.

I sometimes wonder if that’s an ego thing with Reich. He’s a former QB himself so he wants to prove that the QB can win and dominate the game. Especially with this Carson Wentz rebuild project, I really wonder if it’s just ego. How else could you explain underutilizing one of the best (currently #2 in rushing) RBs in the league?

16 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

2021 schedule sucks.. wth did we draw the Bucs on the first year of a RANDOM 17th game selection

Not random. Since we play an NFC division every 4 years and played the NFC South in 2019 and will do so again in 2023, it made sense to play a similar ranked team (second in division) from the NFC South that is well spaced between the years we play them. Plus add to the fact Bucs struggled vs Saints last year (still do) and lost division to them and won it all as a wild card (no crowds really helped, IMO since Brady has never won 2 road playoff games in his career in a row with crowd support against him prior to last year), thus putting Bucs at #2 in the NFC South vs the #2 in the AFC South for the 17th game. 

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Side note: Is the LOS field made of concrete?

TY got KO'd 

Lewis tears ACL literally just running on it

Tannehill prob shouldn't have passed concussion protocol the way he was blinking trying to readjust his eyes on the sideline 

Lot of opposing QBs have had issues. Alex Smith had a concussion falling on it a few years ago, and so have several players, it does make you wonder.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not random. Since we play an NFC division every 4 years and played the NFC South in 2019 and will do so again in 2023, it made sense to play a similar ranked team (second in division) from the NFC South that is well spaced between the years we play them. Plus add to the fact Bucs struggled vs Saints last year (still do) and lost division to them and won it all as a wild card (no crowds really helped, IMO since Brady has never won 2 road playoff games in his career in a row with crowd support against him prior to last year), thus putting Bucs at #2 in the NFC South vs the #2 in the AFC South for the 17th game. 

I know its well thought out plan, the 17th game isn't random. Just IRONIC that would be our draw for the first 17th game ever.. 

Thoughts:

Tennessee is a much better total team with a much better roster.  Has been for a few years.

Another bad game for Wentz.  Bad vision, bad foot work, too many 50/50 balls.  The Colts stayed close because of PI.

Although Wentz makes bad plays, he has very little to work with.  No receivers ( a theme for about 6 years now).  Pascal and Dulin are not even NFL quality.

The offense and play calling looks like a team that the opponent invites to throw the ball with a retread QB and Pascal and Dulin as receivers. 

Is Hines a RB or a WR?  If he's both, then he's neither.  A waste of $6M. 

Great defensive play call that put Lewis into coverage, it got the pick.

Can't blitz when you have no blitzers.

If Ballard fired Frank, he'd be the laughing stock of the NFL.  Firing a HC who has a retread QB, no receivers, no pass rushers, and no CBs, to work with would make Frank look like a scapegoat.

I question CW ability to put this team on his back and carry it to a victory when needed. Have we seen enough of those situations yet to call it.?  Maybe we need to give him more time? Dunno? Hate to rehash the pass, but AL leaving is the gift that keeps on giving,,in no it so much of a positive way.   He is talented, but not an elite or top 10

Pass D stink.....Those Tenn receivers  are huge....that's what we need a group of.

Run the ball

17 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I know its well thought out plan, the 17th game isn't random. Just IRONIC that would be our draw for the first 17th game ever.. 

Might as well get the worse to go with a bad schedule over with in 1 year.

Assuming we finish 2nd in our division, we will play the AFC West and NFC East next year in entirety, Wentz vs Eagles revenge game or whatever. Our 17th game will against most likely the Vikings in a dome. Definitely a slight improvement over the schedule of this year, in all likelihood.

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Might as well get the worse to go with a bad schedule over with in 1 year.

Assuming we finish 2nd in our division, we will play the AFC West and NFC East next year in entirety, Wentz vs Eagles revenge game or whatever. Our 17th game will against most likely the Vikings in a dome. Definitely a slight improvement over the schedule of this year, in all likelihood.

lol true! 

AFC West

NFC East

Vikings

Bengals

Patriots 

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep.  And what was the problem in Philly last year?  No WRs and an inconsistent Oline.

Funny how the offense looks completely different with three different QBs running it.

JB, Rivers, Wentz.  All distinctly different.  Amazing how the on field play of the players dictates what the offense looks like when the HC is the same.

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't disagree with that, but imo Wentz did not do enough to win this game. Multiple times I saw throws that were high and throws that should never been thrown. That int in OT was inexcusable.

Most good WR's catch the ball Hilton dropped to be fair. Hilton looks washed unfortunately. He immediately goes down when he catches the ball too. Pascal dropped a pass that would of went for a first down. 

Wentz played well for 85% of the game. Clearly, he made a few very bad mistakes that may have cost us our season. 

I think the key point is this: Wentz is not a top 3-5 QB. Frank Reich is supposed to be setting Wentz up for success. However, making Wentz throw 51 times a game is not a recipe for success. Calling a TE screen at the 7 yard line is not setting your QB up for success. Calling plays that take 4-5 seconds to develop at crucial moments in the game is never a good idea IMO. 

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  And what was the problem in Philly last year?  No WRs and an inconsistent Oline.

Funny how the offense looks completely different with three different QBs running it.

JB, Rivers, Wentz.  All distinctly different.  Amazing how the on field play of the players dictates what the offense looks like when the HC is the same.

Frank has opened things up a lot as we got time working at it. 

This tape should make clear to Frank that Dullin and Mo-Allie are not in sink with Wentz, not prepared for volume attempts. We just have to get better with practice practice practice. This was the real killer IMO.
 Had to be sick when Wentz threw that int. junk at the goal line for the winning td.  A safety would have ended the game. Haha! How fun to get a TD so quick to tie it. 
 Frank screwed himself again by not sticking to the running game?
Maybe Taylor's ribs need to be protected with his attemps being limited.
I don't think but few here would want Hines attempts going up much, he just isn't effective.  Appears our line has lost the dominating force in the run game we had with Castonzo. Q sure isn't standing out, and we are not running successfully between the guards like we need to.
 Love how quick Taylor can redirect. I saw a lot of Edge in him yesterday.
 I see improvement, and we need another wide receiver to step up, that is a must.

For me its all about the offense. Having a top level defense is a lot harder to do consistently than an Offense with a QB who CAN throw it. And a team with a top level rush attack. The Colts are holding themselves back every Sunday and it stems from Frank Reich incompetence and throwing darts at a board that only ever sticks vs bad competition. 

A defense rarely shuts down other teams. Unless that team is a complete joke or injury ridden (KC vs TB). Otherwise teams are going to score points. The Colts defense isn't elite but its good enough as long as the offense plays up to their abilities and plays SANE football. The Colts should be looking for reasons to run the ball. It doesn't have to 40 rush to 15 passes. The run needs to be used to set up the pass because that's how this team is built to be played. Im sick of watching HC after HC make calls that make no damn sense and refuse to use this teams strengths and has ZERO in game awareness. Too many times I see Taylor taken out of the game when he's doing a really good job that day. Its ludicrous and Frank will absolutely lose the locker room if he continuously makes these same mistakes over, and over, and over again. 

We are up 14 on TN. 19 vs BAL. No one watching these games feels like the Colts are going to keep that lead. No one. Because that's what frank does. He loses leads. 

Blame the defense all you want but having an elite defense isn't going to happen vs the offenses of today. Having an elite defense isn't going to stop Frank Reich from making *ic decisions. A former QB who should know how important the run game is to the success of his QB. Frank has been in football his entire life. Like he doesn't know basic football. Well yesterday he showed, yet again, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. 

Theres always next year and the year after where we will yet again see the same decisions we have always seen for the last 4 seasons. Frank is who Frank is. A backup.  

The Colts win games in spite of Frank not ever because of. 

Reich chose to throw it 51 times and only run Taylor 16 times.  This was in a game the were leading most of the way.  It doesn't make sense on any level.  I've never seen a team do this.  Definitely not one with a great RB who was running very effectively.  

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Frank has opened things up a lot as we got time working at it. 

This tape should make clear to Frank that Dullin and Mo-Allie are not in sink with Wentz, not prepared for volume attempts. We just have to get better with practice practice practice. This was the real killer IMO.
 Had to be sick when Wentz threw that int. junk at the goal line for the winning td.  A safety would have ended the game. Haha! How fun to get a TD so quick to tie it. 
 Frank screwed himself again by not sticking to the running game?
Maybe Taylor's ribs need to be protected with his attemps being limited.
I don't think but few here would want Hines attempts going up much, he just isn't effective.  Appears our line has lost the dominating force in the run game we had with Castonzo. Q sure isn't standing out, and we are not running successfully between the guards like we need to.
 Love how quick Taylor can redirect. I saw a lot of Edge in him yesterday.
 I see improvement, and we need another wide receiver to step up, that is a must.

Yep.  Need a better option other than Hines at backup RB.  Most teams have them, most college teams have them, yet we can't seem to find any.

Dulin can leave.  Mo is okay but a real threat at TE is needed. 

Frank makes some head scratching play calls, but all teams do as well.  Going for it on 4th and 5 in the second quarter up 14-0 near mid field is just dumb.  

The screen pass on your own 5 is a bad call, but Wentz should have just recognized that it was a dumb call and immediately threw it at Hines' or Mo's feet.

JTs yards came on him dancing around.  The oline was not consistent with its run blocking yet again.

When Wentz has the ball for 3 seconds or more, he needs to stop throwing 50/50 balls and find JT. 

Archived