Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Preseason Game 1: Carolina @ Indianapolis 1pm

w87r

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, if you're going to give me rote takes about who's able and not based on draft status and what interests you and doesn't and so forth, I'd just say, almost everything you thought you saw in Ehlinger is colored by playing out the string. There's nothing I saw him do that made me go "there's the guy". Again, frankly, I'm mystified by the QB'ing takes today. Eason is clearly closer and he's not hanging or drowning anything... like we're really rolling out Curtis Painter.

Again, weird takes on the QB play today gang

I don’t think you can definitively say either QB looks “closer” based on what we saw today. Eason looked like a more polished passer, but a few times he was completely oblivious to the pass rush. Ehlinger did a superb job of rolling away from the pressure several times. There are obvious pros and cons in both men’s games.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, if you're going to give me rote takes about who's able and not based on draft status and what interests you and doesn't and so forth, I'd just say, almost everything you thought you saw in Ehlinger is colored by playing out the string. There's nothing I saw him do that made me go "there's the guy". Again, frankly, I'm mystified by the QB'ing takes today. Eason is clearly closer and he's not hanging or drowning anything... like we're really rolling out Curtis Painter.

Looks like we have another angry little keyboard warrior.

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

That was a what, 4 step drop that the DE met him at the spot......not a lack of sensing pressure that is a lack of the LT holding a block.....The running backwards when it was a designed roll-out with two defenders in his face was stupid, agreed, he should have chucked it upfield into the sidelines

he did not step up in the pocket i just rewatched the play . he stands like a statue in the pocket the inside of the line was dominating on that play he gets the ball and makes a step up it changes the play

Just now, Wentzszn said:

The difference in the type id throws Eason can make compared to Sam is huge.

Absolutely. No doubt. Ain’t even close.

sam is clearly superior in pressure pick ups, and with the state of the oline, this is far more important if Wentz doesn’t play.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I agree, I think Ehlinger looked decent against guys who will be on the street soon. I also think Ehlinger could have baked a cake in the pocket most of the half (Eason, not so much).

Eason had about 4-5 throws that made me go "wow". Ehlinger made some good, accurate throws, but nothing "wow" worthy in my mind. And, Ehlinger lack of arm was evident.

I stated it before, Ehlinger is like Minshew in many ways. His play is similar and people love to pull for him, but in the end you will happily replace him with Trevor Lawrence.

I think a big thing here, is this is one of the first times in the past 20+ years that our 4th stringers/5/6/chopping block players are semi decent. Usually we are used to the worst players playing the worst 4th quarters in preseason.

38 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I'm telling ya, ehlinger just finds ways to win. Watched him a LOT at texas and he's a gamer. 

Bringing back some Captain Comeback Harbaugh vibes rockin that 4...

Yeah, he def. did well under pressure.  Eason also had a nice 2 min. drive to keep us in it to end his turn.  Very fun pre-season game to watch!!

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I didn't expect to Reich to go back on his word. I do think the decision to announce that early was unnecessary, but now he has to honor it.

I still think Eason should start next week. I am ok with it as long as started playing that a third game and he gets a chance with Pittman and some other guys. But giving Sam the ones next week seems like it’s going to be hard tog compare. If Eason is any good he should be able to tear up the scrubs next week. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Eason the clear leader in the clubhouse.  He has the making of a NFL QB.  Sam is fun to watch.  He has his entertaining moments.  But Eason’s two minute drill was very impressive.

Unfortunately I missed the complete 1st half, and most of 3rd Q. I only saw Ehlinger. Based on figures they played pretty similiar. Ehlinger looked rather a mobile QB. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Eason the clear leader in the clubhouse.  He has the making of a NFL QB.  Sam is fun to watch.  He has his entertaining moments.  But Eason’s two minute drill was very impressive.

I taught Eason played his best football up tempo there at the end of the 2nd quarter. When he is decisive, he has the arm to get the ball to where he wants it. I expect Frank to taylor the game plan more up tempo for him.

Just now, krunk said:

I need to watch a few more games but I think Brady is going to be a good OC

I know it’s only the preseason, but I must admit I didn’t see many play calls that left me wondering what the thought process behind it was. Maybe that 4th and 1 in the first half, we weren’t blocking anywhere near well enough for a rollout in that situation, but if he was trying to do something they wouldn’t expect it certainly (should have) fit that bill. 

6 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I agree, I think Ehlinger looked decent against guys who will be on the street soon. I also think Ehlinger could have baked a cake in the pocket most of the half (Eason, not so much).

Eason had about 4-5 throws that made me go "wow". Ehlinger made some good, accurate throws, but nothing "wow" worthy in my mind. And, Ehlinger lack of arm was evident.

I stated it before, Ehlinger is like Minshew in many ways. His play is similar and people love to pull for him, but in the end you will happily replace him with Trevor Lawrence.

That is a good comparison.

3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I taught Eason played his best football up tempo there at the end of the 2nd quarter. When he is decisive, he has the arm to get the ball to where he wants it. I expect Frank to taylor the game plan more up tempo for him.

The comeback of the no huddle for us would be most welcome!!

I hear ya colt legacy. But the fact is you rarely get to pick  a Lawrence, Luck or Peyton. I know. I've followed the Colts since Johnny U. And while we've had some GREAT QBs. There were 20 years of wilderness. Hogebooms and pagels

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Every receiver says if it hits your hands you need to catch it.

That's obviously an over-simplification. QBs need to put the ball in the right spot to help their receivers.

6 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I hear ya colt legacy. But the fact is you rarely get to pick  a Lawrence, Luck or Peyton. I know. I've followed the Colts since Johnny U. And while we've had some GREAT QBs. There were 20 years of wilderness. Hogebooms and pagels

I know that was more of a joke. The point is, he is a replaceable player who's ceiling is mediocre, like Minshew. Again, this is my opinion.

People want him to be Drew Brees, and so do I, but he's more likely to be a Minshew or a less than Minshew.

Its fairly obvious where most posters stand so far in the QB competition. I think its about a dead heat. Each guy has his strengths and weaknesses. Personally I want a guy who makes quick decisions and can feel the pressure. So far we know who that would  be. Eason did have a few nice throws but looked like he relies on his big arm more than his football instincts.  Sam is lacking in size and the wow throws but there is a reason they keep talking about his IT factor...

2 minutes ago, life long said:

Its fairly obvious where most posters stand so far in the QB competition. I think its about a dead heat. Each guy has his strengths and weaknesses. Personally I want a guy who makes quick decisions and can feel the pressure. So far we know who that would  be. Eason did have a few nice throws but looked like he relies on his big arm more than his football instincts.  Sam is lacking in size and the wow throws but there is a reason they keep talking about his IT factor...

You know who has IT factor? Minshew... lol, sorry.

Just now, ColtsLegacy said:

You know who has IT factor? Minshew... lol, sorry.

Well if I recall correctly he was supposed to back up Foles but ran with it when given the chance.  I'm not saying either guy is a pro bowler, I just think you go with who has the higher floor than ceiling until Carson gets back. Sam has way more experience and seems more comfortable running an offense.

Archived