Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Preseason Game 1: Carolina @ Indianapolis 1pm

w87r

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Yes and no, a few of those he put in poor positions/too much heat. They should/could have been caught but he should have made them easier to haul in.

He hasn’t really played in two years.  I would expect his throws would improve the more he plays.  You know both QB’s were pumped for their first game as well.  Eason clearly has the stronger arm though.

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Absolutely. No doubt. Ain’t even close.

sam is clearly superior in pressure pick ups, and with the state of the oline, this is far more important if Wentz doesn’t play.

I do believe Elinger reads the pre and post snap better. He just lacks the arm strength to open the field up like Eason. Eason scares me in the pocket. I see more potential in Elinger with dink and dunk screen style offense.

16 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I know it’s only the preseason, but I must admit I didn’t see many play calls that left me wondering what the thought process behind it was. Maybe that 4th and 1 in the first half, we weren’t blocking anywhere near well enough for a rollout in that situation, but if he was trying to do something they wouldn’t expect it certainly (should have) fit that bill. 

You may be right but I have a question. Shouldn't they have tried the game winning field goal on third down in case of a fumble of the snap that they recover so they get another chance? This is a question not a criticism.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He hasn’t really played in two years.  I would expect his throws would improve the more he plays.  You know both QB’s were pumped for their first game as well.  Eason clearly has the stronger arm though.

I agree. I'm not knocking him. I think Eason was great today. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

In college, Eason had the same strengths and same weaknesses we're seeing now. I don't think they're going to change.

12 minutes ago, life long said:

Its fairly obvious where most posters stand so far in the QB competition. I think its about a dead heat. Each guy has his strengths and weaknesses. Personally I want a guy who makes quick decisions and can feel the pressure. So far we know who that would  be. Eason did have a few nice throws but looked like he relies on his big arm more than his football instincts.  Sam is lacking in size and the wow throws but there is a reason they keep talking about his IT factor...

Seriously stick Sam's brain in Easons body.

ill give round 1 to sam right now , eason played well though its close .   sam has ice in his veins , when the games on the line he makes big plays.  Down 8 he leads a clutch drive making clutch 3rd downs , then gets the two point conversion . That last drive to take the lead was pure clutch gene tom brady like .

I'll tell ya what I like. There is a LOT of QB talent on this team. Two years after losing our franchise QB, a guy who was headed to Super Bowls and the hall of fame, Ballard has done an amazing job of giving us a fighting chance with a really good team. Amazing. Really.

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

ill give round 1 to sam right now , eason played well though its close .   sam has ice in his veins , when the games on the line he makes big plays.  Down 8 he leads a clutch drive making clutch 3rd downs , then gets the two point conversion . That last drive to take the lead was pure clutch gene tom brady like .

I think you are in the minority.  He was playing against players who won’t make the 53 and quickly turned to running and scrambling.  Good for him it worked but Eason outplayed him today.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you are in the minority.  He was playing against players who won’t make the 53 and quickly turned to running and scrambling.  Good for him it worked but Eason outplayed him today.

Indeed.   The claims of "Tom Brady like, Ice in his veins, clutch play" are hyperbolic as hell.  Eason did just as well on the drive ending the first half.  It's so early it hurts in these two players careers.  People get hung up on Ehlinger because his story is basically what you'd get if you asked Mellencamp to write a song about the Colts QB....

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Prediction next week Sam will look good with the starting weapons. He most likely gets Pittman and Hilton back. Maybe Doyle too. Probably a couple pieces in oline too. Then everyone will go bananas. 

The true test will be who ever gets that third start. Eason should get it with the starters.

Sam looks like a college QB while Eason looks like a NFL QB.

Sam is a tough nosed, smart football player. A winner. Eason has a great arm...but so did Jeff George.

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

rogers looked great last year all year also . go watch the bills game again he had a amazing game

There isn’t enough that has happened so far in camp or in one pre-season game to know anything.   Rodgers could end up starting, but it’s not because anyone here knows anything.    

All this proven ability/inability........after one preseason game. A game in which backups to the backups were playing on the O-line. 

Some folks are just amazing. 

Here is what I think, Eason looks like an NFL QB. Strachan is the real deal, Fries was a nice pick. Sam will make it hard to be put on the practice squad. Finally....the Colts are FINE at WR. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason also had receivers  drop at least 3 passes.

If you are including the awful throws behind Strachan on outside his back hip that he almost hauled in or the awful wide open throw that a Strachan had absolutely no chance to catch then we’ll. . . 

just disagree.

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

All this proven ability/inability........after one preseason game. A game in which backups to the backups were playing on the O-line. 

Some folks are just amazing. 

Here is what I think, Eason looks like an NFL QB. Strachan is the real deal, Fries was a nice pick. Sam will make it hard to be put on the practice squad. Finally....the Colts are FINE at WR. 

Eason has a problem throwing under pressure.  Clean pocket he looks pretty good.  Thinks that’s what difference is right now. Sam is just better when pressure is coming. 

Ehlinger' a much better passer than tebow was. C'mon. Ehlinger has a funky looking delivery and doesn't have the kind of cannon Eason has, but tebow's delivery was super long and he had bigger accuracy issues. I think ehlinger has enough arm to play, but we'll see when he plays against faster players. We'll see.

And I think with Carson's injury history we're going to have to keep 3 QBs on the final roster --- all season

On 8/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, coming on strong said:

he did not step up in the pocket i just rewatched the play . he stands like a statue in the pocket the inside of the line was dominating on that play he gets the ball and makes a step up it changes the play

I get what you are saying - watch it again. The ball was snapped, he took what looks like a 4 step drop and is met at the mark by the DE that speed rushed around Holden. Same thing Freeney and Mathis used to do - they would meet the QB at the spot and hit him before he had a chance to step up into the pocket. It happens, it does not mean he is oblivious to the rush.....

• NFLfan locked this topic

Archived