Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, csmopar said:

Why? He either has it or he doesn’t?

No.  Those are not the two choices.   He’s not ready to be the starter to start the season.   JE still has to prove he can be a capable backup.   

One step at a time.   Walk before you run. 

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

That's not what a lisfranc is.... A lisfranc is a spiral fracture of a tarsal bone, not a ligament anything.... And there's no way around a year ending injury if that was it 

I always thought the lisfranc joint complex included both bones and ligaments.  But, obviously, I'm no doctor.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

No.  Those are not the two choices.   He’s not ready to be the starter to start the season.   JE still has to prove he can be a capable backup.   

yep or you could end up like this

movie theater popcorn GIF

For me the 1st choice is to bring Rivers back until Wentz is ready.  Give him something like 5m guaranteed to sign and a per game check on top of that with the mutual understanding he retires again when Wentz is ready to go.  If he is adamant he doesn't want to return then plan B is to trade for Foles asap and get him into camp.  

5 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

That's not what a lisfranc is.... A lisfranc is a spiral fracture of a tarsal bone, not a ligament anything.... And there's no way around a year ending injury if that was it 

lisfranc IS a ligament......

"The Lisfranc ligament is a large band of plantar collagenous tissue that spans the articulation of the medial cuneiform and the second metatarsal base.4,6,7 While transverse ligaments connect the bases of the lateral four metatarsals, no transverse ligament exists between the first and second metatarsal bases. The joint capsule and dorsal ligaments form the only minimal support on the dorsal surface of the Lisfranc joint.3,6,7 The bony architecture of this joint, specifically the “keystone” wedging of the second metatarsal into the cuneiform, forms the focal point that supports the entire tarsometatarsal articulation.2 This anatomy establishes a “weak link” that, with stress, is prone to injury.

The anatomic complexity at the Lisfranc joint complex leads to multiple injury patterns.6 Sprains are the most common injury, with the midfoot sprain being the least severe injury.8 The severity of the sprain usually depends on the energy absorbed at the time of injury. Most tarsometatarsal ligament injuries are grade I (pain at the joint, with minimal swelling and no instability) or grade II (increased pain and swelling at the joint, with mild laxity but no instability). The more severe grade III sprain represents complete ligamentous disruption and may represent fracture-dislocation.9 Several further classifications of true fracture-dislocations are used,10 but they do not predict prognosis.4,6"

https://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0701/p118.html

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As some point you don’t really know what you have until you play him.

Eason is going to get a huge chance now. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

For me the 1st choice is to bring Rivers back until Wentz is ready.  Give him something like 5m guaranteed to sign and a per game check on top of that with the mutual understanding he retires again when Wentz is ready to go.  If he is adamant he doesn't want to return then plan B is to trade for Foles asap and get him into camp.  

Rivers isn't coming back. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If Wentz is out for the season, I think that will be what we try to do. Question is, has rivers any interest and is he even in shape to it still

We can hope.  It is just unbelievable the colts go through this every year it seems. The biggest concern for me when Wentz was signed, was his injury history. Hope it's not as bad that most are speculating. 

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Rivers isn't coming back. 

It does not cost a thing to make a call.  It wouldn't be for the entire season.  So he just might do it knowing it's short term.  If not you move to plan B.  But I would think Ballard would at least make the call.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

It does not cost a thing to make a call.  It wouldn't be for the entire season.  So he just might do it knowing it's short term.  If not you move to plan B.  But I would think Ballard would at least make the call.  

I think Rivers is happy where he is 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

As some point you don’t really know what you have until you play him.

Eason is going to get a huge chance now. 

We will play him in practice.   But he’s going to have to shine.   If he doesn’t, he may not get the chance in a regular season game.  A lot depends on how many regular season games Wentz might miss?   If it’s a few, than Eason might get a shot.  But if it’s more than a certain number (4?  6?).then the Colts May have to trade for someone like Foles.  

It’s way too soon to know.  We need more info. 

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

I wonder who's freaking out more at this news:  Chris Ballard....or Howie Roseman?

I think Ballard is freaking out.  He traded for Brisset when it hit the fan.  If it looks like he misses serious time I would bet he trade trades for Foles.  I would rather go with Eason that a street vet. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I will almost bet Foles will end up a colt. Even if it’s just to backup Eason and be a vet. The question will be what happens when Wentz is ready to return. Foles contact I am guessing isn’t very cheap.

I’d have to go back and look but from what I remember reading, Foles contract was very reasonable.  Something like $4M.  So much so that it didn’t help the Bears to dump him.  

I think it would take a mid to late round pick.  From what I read on StampedeBlue, it doesn’t sound like CW will be out for a long period anyway.  

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

lisfranc IS a ligament......

"The Lisfranc ligament is a large band of plantar collagenous tissue that spans the articulation of the medial cuneiform and the second metatarsal base.4,6,7 While transverse ligaments connect the bases of the lateral four metatarsals, no transverse ligament exists between the first and second metatarsal bases. The joint capsule and dorsal ligaments form the only minimal support on the dorsal surface of the Lisfranc joint.3,6,7 The bony architecture of this joint, specifically the “keystone” wedging of the second metatarsal into the cuneiform, forms the focal point that supports the entire tarsometatarsal articulation.2 This anatomy establishes a “weak link” that, with stress, is prone to injury.

The anatomic complexity at the Lisfranc joint complex leads to multiple injury patterns.6 Sprains are the most common injury, with the midfoot sprain being the least severe injury.8 The severity of the sprain usually depends on the energy absorbed at the time of injury. Most tarsometatarsal ligament injuries are grade I (pain at the joint, with minimal swelling and no instability) or grade II (increased pain and swelling at the joint, with mild laxity but no instability). The more severe grade III sprain represents complete ligamentous disruption and may represent fracture-dislocation.9 Several further classifications of true fracture-dislocations are used,10 but they do not predict prognosis.4,6"

https://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0701/p118.html

Yeah, I looked a bit more into this.  And it can be either bones, ligaments, or both -- the lisfranc complex contains both.   I thought I remembered hearing that when Cam Newton had one.

liz-frank.PNG.f4681e8a5f150d693e1ce1f5a00d4be3.PNG

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We will play him in practice.   But he’s going to have to shine.   If he doesn’t, he may not get the chance in a regular season game.  A lot depends on how many regular season games Wentz might miss?   If it’s a few, than Eason might get a shot.  But if it’s more than a certain number (4?  6?).then the Colts May have to trade for someone like Foles.  

It’s way too soon to know.  We need more info. 

what vet is going to come in hand way through training camp pick up the playbook and win you a few games? There isn’t. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I will almost bet Foles will end up a colt. Even if it’s just to backup Eason and be a vet. The question will be what happens when Wentz is ready to return. Foles contact I am guessing isn’t very cheap.

Sick Lunch GIF by American Dad

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard is freaking out.  He traded for Brisset when it hit the fan.  If it looks like he misses serious time I would bet he trade trades for Foles.  I would rather go with Eason that a street vet. 

He’s not trading for foles... 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Seriously?   You’ve watched Chris Ballard for nearly 5 years and you think he freaks out?  Really?

I seriously doubt he’s ever panicked since he’s been our GM.   Not once.   I don’t know why you’d even think that?   

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

what vet is going to come in hand way through training camp pick up the playbook and win you a few games? There isn’t. 

There's only one.

But we're going to have to apologize to him for chasing him out of town after we said we were no longer interested in him because we were signing Wentz.

Archived