Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't see Rivers disrupting his life unless he thinks he won't be returning to that life for a while.  Signing a contract soon, only to have Wentz recover to where Phil wastes his time on the bench after one game, I wouldn't think would be a risk he would want to take.

Or any vet for that matter. 

Oh, I bet there are FA vets out there who would take that opportunity -- but maybe not Rivers.  The only reason people are mentioning Rivers is because he's (ostensibly) healthy and he already knows the system.

But, leaving him aside, I'm sure we could find somebody who might take that chance.  Remember when we signed (and started) Josh Freeman for the last game of the season?  He won the darn thing, too.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Um.....the Colts didn't "Let" Rivers go. He retired. And my gut feeling is he didn't exactly get overwhelmed with appreciation during the season last year from the fan base and that may have played into his retirement. 

I really doubt what the fan base thought of his performance mattered to him at all in regards to that decision.  Players don’t care about want fans think nearly as much as fans like to think they do.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Meh.  Consider the source.

The next time I care what JMV has to say about anything will be the first.  Guys like him thrive on this sort of thing, because hyperbole drives ratings.

I don't know if we can start Eason in a regular season game.  How would I?  How would JMV?  But, if we can't, I have faith that Reich and Ballard know that and will seek out another option.

Way too many talking heads out there.  What matters is what our front office does.  Bringing some dude in off the street isn't a recipe for success, but if Eason really isn't ready - which I have no idea - I would rather bring him on slowly and throw some other guy out there to get abused.

Training camp will tell us more.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Because he thinks some journeyman out there is going  to be better. It’s Eason that has thrown and built a relationship with these guys over the last two years.

A journeyman vet would probably be better than Eason today though. Sounds like he really struggled today with accuracy, progressions, etc. He could just not be ready at all, if ever.

That said, I do want to see what we have in Eason and Ehrlinger in PS. See if they can show something.

30 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Kevin Bowen just mentioned on his podcast how Wentz mentioned he needed to rebuild his lower body mechanics. Makes you wonder.

I'm wondering if he was injured all along.

Here's some wild unfounded speculation

1. Wentz was injured last season but covered it up.  It could explain his huge drop off in play.
  2. He reinvented his mechanics last season to play around the injury which caused his poor play and inaccuracy.
  3. He hid the injury from the Colts to leave Philly and get signed by the Colts.
  4. He needed to "rebuild" his mechanics from last season as he was feeling better this season.  He wanted to play his old way since he was feeling better.
  5. Now in TC, he re-injures himself again.  There was no physical contact in TC.  He had the red jersey on.  He was playing on grass
  6. Thats why he didn't mention it after practice and did interviews after practice as well.  The pain was normal.  He was used to it by now.
  7. He wakes up the next day and finds the pain is much worse.  Something is really wrong.
  8. Now pain is too much and has to divulge the old injury (or the new injury to the Colts).  Finally tells the truth and sees the Foot doctor.

Coincidence ?  I wonder .....

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

We would not be going through this if Luck had a decent OL.

Luck had a decent OL his last playing year. He just chose to quit after hurting himself playing in the snow

Just now, PRnum1 said:

I'm wondering if he was injured all along.

Here's some wild unfounded speculation

1. Wentz was injured last season but covered it up.  It could explain his huge drop off in play.
  2. He reinvented his mechanics last season to play around the injury which caused his poor play and inaccuracy.
  3. He hid the injury from the Colts to leave Philly and get signed by the Colts.
  4. He needed to "rebuild" his mechanics from last season as he was feeling better this season.  He wanted to play his old way since he was feeling better.
  5. Now in TC, he re-injures himself again.  There was no physical contact in TC.  He had the red jersey on.  He was playing on grass
  6. Thats why he didn't mention it after practice and did interviews after practice as well.  The pain was normal.  He was used to it by now.
  7. He wakes up the next day and finds the pain is much worse.  Something is really wrong.
  8. Now pain is too much and has to divulge the old injury (or the new injury to the Colts).  Finally tells the truth and sees the Foot doctor.

Coincidence ?  I wonder .....

No such thing as a coincidence 

7 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Meh.  Consider the source.

The next time I care what JMV has to say about anything will be the first.  Guys like him thrive on this sort of thing, because hyperbole drives ratings.

I don't know if we can start Eason in a regular season game.  How would I?  How would JMV?  But, if we can't, I have faith that Reich and Ballard know that and will seek out another option.

All he does is whine and cry like a child about  everything. It get annoying.

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

So your good news scenario is he misses 8 weeks from today, and comes back week three of the regular season having not quite two whole practices with a brand new team?  

Sweet, no wonder they're not stressed

that is worst news scenario best news is 3 weeks .

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

A journeyman vet would probably be better than Eason today though. Sounds like he really struggled today with accuracy, progressions, etc. He could just not be ready at all, if ever.

That said, I do want to see what we have in Eason and Ehrlinger in PS. See if they can show something.

How did Hoyer turn out.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

How did Hoyer turn out.

And Hasselbeck? 

All I’m saying is, from what little info we have, it doesn’t sound like Eason is really ready. I hope he gets the chance to prove himself in PS, but if Ballard goes after a veteran then I think that speaks volumes. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

How did Hoyer turn out.

I've forgotten all the Latin phrases for different logical fallacies.  But I'm virtually certain this is an example of one of them.

Just because Brian Hoyer stunk it up here does not necessarily mean that any veteran journeyman would also stink it up here. 

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I've forgotten all the Latin phrases for different logical fallacies.  But I'm virtually certain this is an example of one of them.

Just because Brian Hoyer stunk it up here does not necessarily mean that any veteran journeyman would also stink it up here. 

Painter stunk it up too so based on that logic I could say Eason will too.

With that said I would be surprised if we bring in some guy who is on his couch right now talking to his agent about playing for the Colts and have much success.

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I really doubt what the fan base thought of his performance mattered to him at all in regards to that decision.  Players don’t care about want fans think nearly as much as fans like to think they do.

If they're close to retirement they might. He didn't need anymore money. 

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Painter stunk it up too so based on that logic I could say Eason will too.

With that said I would be surprised if we bring in some guy who is on his couch right now talking to his agent about playing for the Colts and have much success.

You're comparing Eason to Painter? It's more logical to see how Eason does first. If he's awful THEN compare him to Painter, but no one knows how he would perform in a game. 

26 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Oh, I bet there are FA vets out there who would take that opportunity -- but maybe not Rivers.  The only reason people are mentioning Rivers is because he's (ostensibly) healthy and he already knows the system.

But, leaving him aside, I'm sure we could find somebody who might take that chance.  Remember when we signed (and started) Josh Freeman for the last game of the season?  He won the darn thing, too.

From a locker room perspective, I think if Ballard signs a vet early, it sort of publicly diminishes Ballard's confidence in both Wentz (his recurring availability) and Eason (his competence).  I think you let those sleeping dogs lie until both issues become obvious to the team. 

36 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

You're comparing Eason to Painter? It's more logical to see how Eason does first. If he's awful THEN compare him to Painter, but no one knows how he would perform in a game. 

I was responding to where someone said bringing in a journeyman QB wouldn't work just like Hoyer didn't.

Using that same logic I said - Painter = Eason.  They are both the same logical fallacy.  We have no idea yet how Eason will do.  And I would love to see him do well.

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

From a locker room perspective, I think if Ballard signs a vet early, it sort of publicly diminishes Ballard's confidence in both Wentz (his recurring availability) and Eason (his competence).  I think you let those sleeping dogs lie until both issues become obvious to the team. 

Ballard should of learned his lesson from Hoyer and Tolzein. 

37 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He finally did...had a great year..then quit 1 week before the season started the following year

It is a little unfair to completely ignore the beating he took behind a weak oline trying to make this team a winner for a few years.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Go with the guy you drafted. Chances are your going to have more success with the guy who knows the playbook and has already built relationships with players.

Ok.  I guess I would say that Hoyer and Tolziens problems were not the lack of those things, they were just bad QBs.  But I agree with your basic point.

Was hoping to get some highlight plays from practice today. I guess I'll settle for the anxious banter about Wentz. 

I mean did you guys really expect Wentz to play above the threshold for the pick next year? I immediately knew we would see some considerable play time from Eason this year. Just enough to make it a second pick,. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Was hoping to get some highlight plays from practice today. I guess I'll settle for the anxious banter about Wentz. 

I mean did you guys really expect Wentz to play above the threshold for the pick next year? I immediately knew we would see some considerable play time from Eason this year. Just enough to make it a second pick,. 

Well...if this happens and we win I'm all for it. But I doubt the league would let it fly.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

I'm talking to some eagles fans and they think it is a lingering injury from last season that has come back.

Ballard may not have done his homework here

Wentz surely had a medical before signing, that's standard. The Colts med staff must have okayed him....so the blame ought to lie with them IF this proves true. TBF, this isnt the first time we've had doubts about Indy's med team.

At least they're not the Chargers med team.....though those guys got Herbert in over Tyrod. If Eason proves to be as good as Herbert, I'll buy this med team drinks.

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I'm talking to some eagles fans and they think it is a lingering injury from last season that has come back.

Ballard may not have done his homework here

He had to pass a physical to complete the trade.    I'm sure Ballard did all of the homework.   Goodness.   Football players get injured.    

Archived