Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Quenton Nelson Fifth Year Option extended.

teganslaw

Does anyone know what is going on with this? The Colts have until May 3 to go exercise the option or sign Nelson to a long term deal. I hadn't heard how things are working out; hoping that they can get a long term deal done.  Other teams have already done something, so the Colts should get something going. 

27 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Does anyone know what is going on with this? The Colts have until May 3 to go exercise the option or sign Nelson to a long term deal. I hadn't heard how things are working out; hoping that they can get a long term deal done.  Other teams have already done something, so the Colts should get something going. 

It will be done by May 3rd.   No worries. 

1 hour ago, teganslaw said:

They'll pick it up, that's a no brainer.  No rush since you can always sign a longer deal after picking it up..... Might as well wait to the last minute and see if you can work out an extension

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Would it be cheaper in his fifth year to have a extension done or the fifth year option I am going to assume a extension because of  the way you can pro rate it.

My guess is it will be cheaper to pick up the option.

Nelson is going to re-set the OG market and maybe even come close to re-setting the OL market and since the Colts rarely structure contracts with big signing bonuses and such, they might as well pick up the 5th yr option and then work on a long term extension that kicks in after the option year. That's my guess. 

Did the Colts ever definitively comment on moving Q to T, or not? Not that they can't change their minds, but.....

If not, or either way, the draft could solidify that topic.

I gotta guess he's staying at G though, since we went out of our way to flood the position with options.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Did the Colts ever definitively comment on moving Q to T, or not? Not that they can't change their minds, but.....

If not, or either way, the draft could solidify that topic.

I gotta guess he's staying at G though, since we went out of our way to flood the position with options.

Irsay said they like where Nelson is at. But if it was needed it’s nice to know they have the option.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Would it be cheaper in his fifth year to have a extension done or the fifth year option I am going to assume a extension because of  the way you can pro rate it.

I would assume extension as well because of the way you can structure it.  Besides we also have extensions coming up for Leonard and Smith.  I don’t think we would want to do all three in the same year.  Even if we pick up his option I’m expecting an extension this year.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am betting Ballard is going to let him test the market...

in all seriousness I am sure Ballard has a plan.  Right now the focus is on the draft.  Worst case is Monday he fills out the paperwork to pick up the fifth year option on big Q.  

You've got two competing thoughts and I think it's one or the other,  but I don't think it can be both.

First sentence is that Balllard will let Q test the market.   That means we don't extend him.   He can't test the market if he's under contract.

Which brings us to your sentence about the worst case.    That he fills out the paperwork on Monday.   

When would Q "test the market"?     Not trying to be difficult here,  but sorry,  but I'm confused.

Options: 

• extend now using this year's raise, likely 5th year lower salary, and potential future NEFTs and EFTs as leverage to extend long term with tolerable yearly totals
  • use 5th year option and push all talks to next year
  • use 5th year option and keep talking (my bet)
  • don't use 5th, and let him test market next year with NEFT

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've got two competing thoughts and I think it's one or the other,  but I don't think it can be both.

First sentence is that Balllard will let Q test the market.   That means we don't extend him.   He can't test the market if he's under contract.

Which brings us to your sentence about the worst case.    That he fills out the paperwork on Monday.   

When would Q "test the market"?     Not trying to be difficult here,  but sorry,  but I'm confused.

Pretty sure he was joking about testing the market lol.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The first sentence was a joke which is why I said in all seriousness at the start of the next sentence.

no way on earth does big Q get close to being a free agent.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The first sentence was a joke which is why I said in all seriousness at the start of the next sentence.

no way on earth does big Q get close to being a free agent.

Its not the first time NCF didn't pick up on sarcasm or a joke lol.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

<joke>

We should all use the joking/sarcasm tags in future.

</joke>

<sarcasm>

I love web development.  It's the best!

</sarcasm>

Anyway - I think we can be pretty confident that Nelson isn't going anywhere!

We so need a "rolleyes" emoticon. 

4 hours ago, life long said:

Its not the first time NCF didn't pick up on sarcasm or a joke lol.

Yes.....   thanks for pointing that out.

I especially liked the part where you didn't point out the lack of using an emoji.

Those are there precisely to make sure everyone knows it's sarcasm or a joke.    LOL indeed....   :thmup:

Now that this is done....    I'm now expecting that sometime between the first week in May and the first week in September,  we will officially extend Q,  Leonard,  Smith and even Hines.

There won't be nearly as much signing bonus given out,  somehow we've gotten really good at convincing players to take little to no signing bonus.    Don't know how we do it,  but we convinced Buckner not to on an $84m deal.    So, we're good.

But we do guarantee large chunks of the contract,  and that's what these 4 players are going to want.    Large chunks to be guaranteed,  especially due to injury.    PLayers want the guaranteed money.    It would be a tremendous boost to the locker room to sign the core-4 to long term deals.    It shows that when you ball out for the Colts,  we show them the money!   :thmup:

:cash:

• w87r changed the title to Update: Quenton Nelson Fifth Year Option extended.
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....   thanks for pointing that out.

I especially liked the part where you didn't point out the lack of using an emoji.

Those are there precisely to make sure everyone knows it's sarcasm or a joke.    LOL indeed....   :thmup:

I intentionally left out saying using an emoji, italics, or even bolded to make the point, but trust me if I am making a joke or using sarcasm I know to make it clear! :highfive2:

1 minute ago, life long said:

I intentionally left out saying using an emoji, italics, or even bolded to make the point, but trust me if I am making a joke or using sarcasm I know to make it clear! :highfive2:

Sure you do....

Sure you do....

:sarcasm:

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

With his contract coming up , u may have a hard time getting one 1st rounder for him.

U think I am joking ?  So u think teams will line up for a guard who may demand 20 million a year. U teams r willing o do that contract plus give up a 1st?

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U think I am joking ?  So u think teams will line up for a guard who may demand 20 million a year. U teams r willing o do that contract plus give up a 1st?

No.   I don’t think you’re joking.   THAT’S why I’m laughing so hard......  

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well if we are being serious. We traded a 1st rounder for Buckner and then signed his contract. 

So yes I think we could get a 1st. 

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why discuss an issue that is never going to happen? Q is going to be a highly paid, long term Colt. Move on. 

Archived