Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love to Patriots Rumor

danlhart87

25 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Are we really going to trust a website called....  the Daily Snark?!?    Really?

And are we really going to believe those pictures which should fall under the heading of...   “Too good to be true!”    Someone typed out the deal clear as can be and then just left them there on a desk where anyone could come along and take a picture!   How convenient!    

I’ll believe when Roger Goodell announces it, or the teams do,  and not one minute sooner.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are we really going to trust a website called....  the Daily Snark?!?    Really?

And are we really going to believe those pictures which should fall under the heading of...   “Too good to be true!”    Someone typed out the deal clear as can be and then just left them there on a desk where anyone could come along and take a picture!   How convenient!    

I’ll believe when Roger Goodell announces it, or the teams do,  and not one minute sooner.  

That's why I put rumor

Of course anything can happen still 

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Idk who they'd get (also don't care), but the Pats are out of their minds if they let Newton run the show again this year. 

Didn't the Patriots extend Newton's contract for another year? It sounds like they intend to keep him as starter. 

9 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Didn't the Patriots extend Newton's contract for another year?

He was resigned to another 1-year deal. Not extended.

9 hours ago, teganslaw said:

It sounds like they intend to keep him as starter. 

Maybe, BB is in tank mode. 

I mean, it just says "Round 1 options" so it could easily be someone not in a decision making role with some thoughts that they have or would be presenting to decision makers, or it could belong to a decision maker who just has some options laid out. I don't see this as any indication that this trade would be happening, but it's not unlikely that those conversations have taken place. Teams line up all kinds of potential trade deals for draft day. They don't just start making calls the moment they're on the clock and hope they can find a team that wants to trade with them. A lot of leg work is done ahead of time to gauge interest and potential baseline compensation.

Because that trade deal makes a lot of sense, I could see this as being legitimate, although again, just one of a number of options for GB.

22 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think the Packers would do this.  

Why not?

They've got a QB/gameshow host.. and whoever thought it was clever to pull this stunt, going rando QB in round 1 is lucky they've still got a job. The Packers using the first rounder on a offensive weapon or quality lineman really could legitimately be the difference between where the finished last year and playing in the SB.  

If I'm the Packers and I can undo this soap opera, cool. Why would the Patriots do this is my question. 

44 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why not?

They've got a QB/gameshow host.. and whoever thought it was clever to pull this stunt, going rando QB in round 1 is lucky they've still got a job. The Packers using the first rounder on a offensive weapon or quality lineman really could legitimately be the difference between where the finished last year and playing in the SB.  

If I'm the Packers and I can undo this soap opera, cool. Why would the Patriots do this is my question. 

I see what you are saying.  If the Packers could get the 15th pick in the draft the packers would be crazy not to do it.    The Pats would be crazy to give up the 15th pick in the draft for Love.   

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Why not?

They wouldn't do it because they drafted him to start after 3 to 4 years sitting on the bench, so rodgers will be roughly 40 and it will be the perfect time to move on.

Pats offense is still 80% Charlie Weis playbook, and 20% Josh McDaniels modifications/tweaks.  A QB like Mac Jones (a Charlie Weis favorite) is the type QB that fits the Patriots offense philosophy. 

College/draft gurus here, is Jordan Love more like Mac Jones, or a QB that doesn't run through progressions and pulls it down and takes off running if receiver option 1 isn't open?  This will hint to me if the Pats would even be interested, or rather place efforts to land Jones?

If rumors are to be believed Love looked horrible last year. From what I read they said if he wasn't a first round pick he would have been cut. Now all of a sudden they glow he looks "so much better", and this without any practice or OTA's. This might be trus, the Packer's don't see him develop, the Patriot's think it's a small risk..

On 4/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, ColtJax said:

If rumors are to be believed Love looked horrible last year. From what I read they said if he wasn't a first round pick he would have been cut. Now all of a sudden they glow he looks "so much better", and this without any practice or OTA's. This might be trus, the Packer's don't see him develop, the Patriot's think it's a small risk..

Yea, the fact Love is in trade discussions so quickly tells me he's got issues, or Aaron Rodgers got so unbelievably upset that they are trying to unload the kid, although they should have known Rodgers would get upset on day-1 anyways; Rodgers won't get help winning a Superbowl from a backup QB.

30 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea, the fact Love is in trade discussions so quickly tells me he's got issues, or Aaron Rodgers got so unbelievably upset that they are trying to unload the kid, although they should have known Rodgers would get upset on day-1 anyways; Rodgers won't get help winning a Superbowl from a backup QB.

Remember how many people in here wanted Jordan Love, it made me want to london guy GIF, I thought for sure GB would take a WR to help Rodgers out. When they took Love I was like HUH?? By the way I liked Love but not with the 13th pick. Ballard trading that for Buckner was not a good move, it was a great move. I think the Pats will draft a QB if one is on the board they like. They may trade up?

"According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the decision has been narrowed down to Alabama quarterback Mac Jones and North Dakota State's Trey Lance. "

If this any legs, then Garoppolo is on the block if Jones is taken, and Stays a 49er if it is Lance, IMO.

"But we made a decision that we felt we needed to get a starting QB. We wanted to dictate it. We'll get the one that we feel is best for us."

OK, I read this as Mac Jones, or Justin Fields.  Does anyone believe Trey Lance is ready to take over Kyle Shanahan's offense as an NFL starting QB? If it is Lance, Jimmy G. does stay a 49er, at least for awhile.

"Shanahan was a bit more aloof when asked if he can guarantee that Garoppolo will be on the roster Sunday, saying,"

"I can't guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday."

Shanahan did hint that the team had one quarterback in mind when moving up to No. 3, but now they feel good about a handful of prospects at that spot. 

What happens? My hypothetical scenario is BB and Patriots offer up a #3, the 49er's counter to get a 2. Pats accept, get Jimmy G. back to the Patriots for their second round pick to run the Weis/McDaniels offense he has already learned. San Fran takes either Fields, or Jones at slot #3.

We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

"According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the decision has been narrowed down to Alabama quarterback Mac Jones and North Dakota State's Trey Lance. "

If this any legs, then Garoppolo is on the block if Jones is taken, and Stays a 49er if it is Lance, IMO.

"But we made a decision that we felt we needed to get a starting QB. We wanted to dictate it. We'll get the one that we feel is best for us."

OK, I read this as Mac Jones, or Justin Fields.  Does anyone believe Trey Lance is ready to take over Kyle Shanahan's offense as an NFL starting QB?

"Shanahan was a bit more aloof when asked if he can guarantee that Garoppolo will be on the roster Sunday, saying,"

"I can't guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday."

Shanahan did hint that the team had one quarterback in mind when moving up to No. 3, but now they feel good about a handful of prospects at that spot. 

What happens? My hypothetical scenario is BB and Patriots offer up a #3, the 49er's counter to get a 2. Pats accept, get Jimmy G. back to the Patriots for their second round pick to run the Weis/McDaniels offense he has already learned. San Fran takes either Fields, or Jones at slot #3.

We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

This could happen, rumors were that BB wanted Brady gone after the 2016 season after they captured their 5th SB win so Jimmy G could take over then. Jimmy G was just much younger. BB loves Jimmy G. Kraft wanted to keep Brady and this was one of the rare times he overruled BB.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This could happen, rumors were that BB wanted Brady gone after the 2016 season after they captured their 5th SB win so Jimmy G could take over then. Jimmy G was just much younger. BB loves Jimmy G. Kraft wanted to keep Brady and this was one of the rare times he overruled BB.

Maybe the biggest brain far of Bill's career. Jimmy has basically been an injury bust while Brady has continued to win SBs in his 40s. I really wonder what Bill must have been thinking as Brady comes back from 28-3 down in the SB after going 11-1. Why on earth you would want to change him at that point is just head scratching. And now here he is graveling to get Jimmy back and the guy barely ever stays on the field.

5 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Maybe the biggest brain far of Bill's career. Jimmy has basically been an injury bust while Brady has continued to win SBs in his 40s. I really wonder what Bill must have been thinking as Brady comes back from 28-3 down in the SB after going 11-1. Why on earth you would want to change him at that point is just head scratching. And now here he is graveling to get Jimmy back and the guy barely ever stays on the field.

I don't get it either, didn't back then. A lot of it had to do with age IMO, even BB probably didn't think Brady had much left, most QB's don't as they approach 40. At the time Brady was 39. I would've never got rid of Brady if I was the Pats and just let him retire there. With us it was different with Manning because he was coming off neck surgery and Luck was there at #1 in a rebuild mode situation, so I understand that.

4 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Of course using the 1st round pick on Rodgers didn't help Favre much either but it turned out to be a good choice.  

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't get it either, didn't back then. A lot of it had to do with age IMO, even BB probably didn't think Brady had much left, most QB's don't as they approach 40. At the time Brady was 39. I would've never got rid of Brady if I was the Pats and just let him retire there. With us it was different with Manning because he was coming off neck surgery and Luck was there at #1 in a rebuild mode situation, so I understand that.

Yeah. Very odd considering Bill was watching him play and practice every day and there was no decline. 

I don't want to start any fireworks but I thought it was a mistake that the Colts released Manning. I just believe transcendent players should finish their careers where they started. I would never bet against Manning or Brady. Ever.

2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Yeah. Very odd considering Bill was watching him play and practice every day and there was no decline. 

I don't want to start any fireworks but I thought it was a mistake that the Colts released Manning. I just believe transcendent players should finish their careers where they started. I would never bet against Manning or Brady. Ever.

I get that no doubt. I can at least justify why the Colts did let Peyton walk as in we just had an older team, was in rebuild mode, and had Luck coming. Our O.Line was terrible too. FWIW, Luck was very good to great his 1st 3 years and he and the Colts beat Peyton and Von Miller's Broncos in a divisional round, so Luck was solid. I can't justify at all why the Pats would get rid of Brady, none at all. Regarding betting against Brady or Peyton, me either. Those guys could be down by 21 in the 4th Qtr and it still isn't over. To this day I still can't believe that Monday night game at Tampa Bay when Peyton was down by 21 with 5 minutes left against the best defense in the league and Indy came back and won. That was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen because he did it in 5 minutes. I always have said you put 3 names in a hat being Brady, Peyton, or Montana and if you drew one out, you can't go wrong. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get that no doubt. I can at least justify why the Colts did let Peyton walk as in we just had an older team, was in rebuild mode, and had Luck coming. Our O.Line was terrible too. FWIW, Luck was very good to great his 1st 3 years and he and the Colts beat Peyton and Von Miller's Broncos in a divisional round, so Luck was solid. I can't justify at all why the Pats would get rid of Brady, none at all. Regarding betting against Brady or Peyton, me either. Those guys could be down by 21 in the 4th Qtr and it still isn't over. To this day I still can't believe that Monday night game at Tampa Bay when Peyton was down by 21 with 5 minutes left against the best defense in the league and Indy came back and won. That was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen because he did it in 5 minutes. I always have said you put 3 names in a hat being Brady, Peyton, or Montana and if you drew one out, you can't go wrong. 

What's interesting if not ironic, both of their successors have been among the most injured QBs in the NFL. Poor Luck retired at 29. Not sure how much longer Jimmy will even be in the league.

Goes to show you how much availability means in the NFL and how easy it is to take it for granted when you have a QB that plays all 16 every season.  The Saints are about to learn this this year. Brees was another ironman. 

5 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

What's interesting if not ironic, both of their successors have been among the most injured QBs in the NFL. Poor Luck retired at 29. Not sure how much longer Jimmy will even be in the league.

Goes to show you how much availability means in the NFL and how easy it is to take it for granted when you have a QB that plays all 16 every season.  The Saints are about to learn this this year. Brees was another ironman. 

Yep. Favre, Brady, Peyton, and even guys like Eli and Rivers were true ironmen. Never missing starts, etc.. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. Favre, Brady, Peyton, and even guys like Eli and Rivers were true ironmen. Never missing starts, etc.. 

Yea, they don't build them like they used to. Same with Alex Smith; guy suffered a gruesome injury, and you'd think he'd retire, but nah, he wanted more.

I can see the Packer's decision with Favre, just like us with Peyton. You have a chance to take a possible franchise QB, you seldom have that chance. And what you do have is a franchise QB that's old and hurting. You hate to say goodbye, but you have to think of the big picture too. With the Pats if you're going to rebuild saying goodbye to a 43 year old QB, even one that's the GOAT is tough, but necessary. The Pats didn't have the pieces to compete last year, doubt they do this year either..

On 4/21/2021 at 11:10 AM, Myles said:

I see what you are saying.  If the Packers could get the 15th pick in the draft the packers would be crazy not to do it.    The Pats would be crazy to give up the 15th pick in the draft for Love.   

I think the Pats got exactly who they wanted with that pick.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, Roger said:

I think the Pats got exactly who they wanted with that pick.

I agree a QB who is ready play now.. BB isn’t getting any younger and has maybe what 3-4 hrs left? He wants win now prove it wasn’t just Brady. (Which it wasn’t it was both of them Brady proved that last year moving the Pats way down to Tampa.. they didn’t make so many dumb mistakes when he took charge)

Archived