Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade: 49ers Move Up To #3

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

In another thread people were comparing Ballard’s GM approach vs Lynch’s.  We’re seen as being more cautious and taking a long term approach whereas the 49ers seem more willing to take bigger risks trying to win now.  I think both have succeeded in putting together talented teams with playoff games under their belts.

It will be interesting to see how the next few years play out for both teams.  Finding the right QB will be the key to both teams success. I wanted us to go up and get a QB.  It’s hard to knock getting Wentz for a 3rd & a conditional 1st though.  I just hope Wentz can get his game back on track and he can stay healthy.  If so, Wentz at 25m a year is a good deal.  If not we’re back on the QB carousel. 

The 49ers on the other hand swapped picks and gave up a 3rd & two future 1’s and will be adding either Fields or Wilson and have them cost controlled for the next 5 years.  I was always big on us moving up in the draft for Fields.  So I really wish it was the Colts moving up to the 3rd pick (like I suggested we do for weeks until the Wentz deal) instead of the 49ers.  

I still think Fields will be the star of this draft.  Even more so now if he gets to San Fran.  It will all come down to who the Jets take but either way Fields or Wilson will be a great addition for them. They can even bring either along slowly with Jimmy G starting or still move him to recoup the lost draft capital. 

This is dredging up some repressed feelings about the Wentz trade.  I need to go listen to one of his interviews again to get excited. :wall:  :colts:  :rock:

i would  not rule out Lance here. Many people think he fits Shanahan’s offense perfectly. And some analysts now seem to think this could be between Mac Jones (I say yea right but people are saying it) and Trey Lance. 

it will be fun seeing how it all plays out. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Now people are complaining about our trade that netted us 2 repeat all-pros and other starters... Really makes you think.

If you want to complain about something, remember in '99 Polian could have gotten the Saints' entire draft and still taken James at #10.  

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

i would  not rule out Lance here. Many people think he fits Shanahan’s offense perfectly. And some analysts now seem to think this could be between Mac Jones (I say yea right but people are saying it) and Trey Lance. 

I think Lance ends up in Atlanta honestly 

12 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I read a recent stat on Lance after his pro day. And they said he was the least accurate QB (as far as on target throws) out of all the QB’s in the draft.  Granted he’s got a small sample size. But still...  He’s got all the metrics but none of the proven experience. Fields could very well run the faster 40 time. Guaranteed 4.4.  He’s claiming he could get to 4.3.  Fields passing accuracy rates top in every metric. If it’s between those 3 QB’s the 49ers would be crazy to pass on Fields.  He’s everything they’re projecting Lance could be. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I read a recent stat on Lance after his pro day. And they said he was the least accurate QB (as far as on target throws) out of all the QB’s in the draft.  He’s got all the metrics but none of the proven experience. Fields could very well run the faster 40 time. Guaranteed 4.4.  He’s claiming he could get to 4.3.  Fields passing accuracy rates top in every metric. If it’s between those 3 QB’s the 49ers would be crazy to pass on Fields.  He’s everything they’re projecting Lance could be. 

I am not saying I would take Lance. 

All I am saying is to say that the 49ers moved up for one of Wilson or Fields is negligent when there are also rumors it could be Lance or Jones. 

I can’t wait to see how the QB musical chairs shakes out this draft. 

37 minutes ago, #12. said:

If you want to complain about something, remember in '99 Polian could have gotten the Saints' entire draft and still taken James at #10.  

Correction, 12th pick, Polian had to move down 8 spots. :) 

Such an LOL trade:

The Saints traded their first round, third round, fourth round, fifth round, sixth round, and seventh round picks in the 1999 NFL Draft AND their first-round and third-round picks from the 2000 NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the fifth overall pick of the 1999 NFL Draft. haha:facepalm:

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Hypothetical question 

Would you guys trade 21 to 49ers for Nick Bosa or George Kittle 

Remember this is just hypothetical and 0% it happens 

Definitely for Kittle.  Wentz loves to throw to the tight ends.  If Bosa is healthy, that’s another definite.  I’m wondering if we should be inquiring about OJ Howard in Tampa?  Could probably get him for much less. 

38 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Definitely for Kittle.  Wentz loves to throw to the tight ends.  If Bosa is healthy, that’s another definite.  I’m wondering if we should be inquiring about OJ Howard in Tampa?  Could probably get him for much less. 

Cameron Brate is the TE I read an article on that said he could be available.

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

For what it's worth.....

Over at the NFL Network,  Daniel Jeremiah thinks the 49ers pick will be Lance and not Fields.   His thinking is this....

Lance has had his Pro Day.    Fields' is not until next week.     If you were interested in Fields,  wouldn't you be interested in seeing his Pro Day before making this deal?     An interesting observation.

It's an educated guess,  it's not a prediction.   But I thought it was worth sharing....

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth.....

Over at the NFL Network,  Daniel Jeremiah thinks the 49ers pick will be Lance and not Fields.   His thinking is this....

Lance has had his Pro Day.    Fields' is not until next week.     If you were interested in Fields,  wouldn't you be interested in seeing his Pro Day before making this deal?     An interesting observation.

It's an educated guess,  it's not a prediction.   But I thought it was worth sharing....

Can anyone confirm the Jets are taking a QB at #2?

I don’t see it, and think that allows the 49ers to take Z. Wilson at pick 3.

Just now, MPStack said:

No.   That is not official.   It is not clear that the Jets are taking Wilson.    But that appears to be the current buzz in NFL circles right now.    Trade Darnold before or after the draft,  but select Wilson.     Of course, the draft is still basically a month away. 

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I heard Pat McAfee talking about this.  He said the Eagles tried to get to #2 with the sole intent of taking Z. Wilson, but the Jets wouldn't make a deal.  The Eagles came away felling they couldn't get Wilson at #3, so they traded down with Miami.   McAfee and crew were just repeating rumors they heard, so take that for what it's worth.

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If the Jets are sticking with Darnold, they'd be smart to trade down a bit to pick up a haul. For instance, if the Falcons are focused upon Wilson and they think the Niners are all over him, they trade up to secure their QB of the future and the Jets still get who they want at 4. Certainly not out of the question, and a great move for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Just my opinion but I would have thought that if the Jets weren't interested in taking a QB at #2 then they then would have been shopping the pick around to pick up some draft capital...isn't like there aren't any QB needy teams out there. The fact that no insider has even got a whiff that they are listening to offers for their pick suggests to me they want to keep it which in turn usually means a team is looking at a QB. 

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

1 Dolphins' net first rounder vs Colts' 3 second rounders, not that far off is what I am saying. It would all depend on how the Dolphins multiply it like we did and how the 49ers fare.

If the 49ers make it to the divisional round of the playoffs (say) and pick consistently at No.27/28, then you will compare it to the No.34, No.37 and No.49 we got. Do the math then.

49ers 2 first rounders at mid-20s minus Dolphins one first rounder at early 20s vs No.34, 37 and No.49

#34 -560

#37 - 530

#49 - 410

1500pts = 7th pick in the draft

Colts deal turned out way better than the Dolphins. Now if Dolphins would of just stayed at #12, I would've probably leaned their way,  but not by much if at all. Trading back up to #6, makes it a clear advantage for Colts, in my opinion.

Dolphins:

#6 - 1600

#102 - 92

2023 1st(devalued and 2 years away)

1692pts

Colts:

#6 - 1600

#7(34,37,49) - 1500pts

3100pts

Difference of about the 8th pick in the draft. Again, that 1st is 2yrs away as well.

Edit: and Miami lost additional draft points in the swap with Eagles

#123 - 49pts

vs

#156 -27.4pts

4 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

So, I think...

The Jets traded 3 and 123

And got

6, 156

2022 3rd (SF)

2023 1st (SF)

The Colts traded 3

And got

6, 37, 49

2019 2nd (34 overall)

I think I'd take our deal.

I don't see the 2022 3rd from SF in the deal.

Even if so, still not close to the value we came away with.

And the Dolphins, not Jets.:thmup:

49 minutes ago, w87r said:

#34 -560

#37 - 530

#49 - 410

Colts deal turned out way better than the Dolphins. Now if Dolphins would of just stayed at #12, I would've probably leaned their way,  but not by much if at all. Trading back up to #6, makes it a clear advantage for Colts, in my opinion.

Dolphins:

#6 - 1600

#102 - 92

1692pts

Colts:

#6 - 1600

#7(34,37,49) - 1500pts

3100pts

Difference of about the 8th pick in the draft. Again, that 1st is 2yrs away as well.

#123 - 49pts

vs

#156 -27.4pts

Preach it!!!

You always have to look beneath the surface. :) 

6 hours ago, w87r said:

#34 -560

#37 - 530

#49 - 410

Dolphins:

#6 - 1600

#102 - 92

1692pts

Colts:

#6 - 1600

#7(34,37,49) - 1500pts

3100pts

#123 - 49pts

vs

#156 -27.4pts

MIA had to trade back up...so it will be less. Had they stayed at #12...they could have ended up with more for their trade (even accounting for the different between #6 and #12). 

That 2023 first still has significant value though. It’s not a 0. Also, it’s a 2022 3rd...not that comp pick. 

And to be fair, that #34 pick was also just a future 2nd round pick at the time.

Ultimately we need to see what that 2023 1st becomes (or what they do with it)...before fully judging the overall trade value. 

13 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep, I kind of expected the 49ers to go up for a QB, I just thought they'd do it on draft day, but this is probably the way to do it to secure yourself a some peace of mind. 

This also answers the question what it would have taken us to get to top 3 - what the 49ers gave + probably additional 1st or 2nd.

I would have still done it. Colts will play all top 3 picks next season. 

People are lauding MIA for this...and my guess is that will get one of Smith/Chase and some extra draft capital, so definitely a win in that department. But I’m not sure how you don’t draft a QB at #3. I don’t think Tua is close to Wilson or Fields from an NFL standpoint.

But what’s also interesting is that this takes MIA out of the running for Watson. No way they trade that pick if that trade was a possibility...and then give back a 1 to move up to 6. That pick has no real value to HOU.

8 hours ago, ponyboy said:

I heard Pat McAfee talking about this.  He said the Eagles tried to get to #2 with the sole intent of taking Z. Wilson, but the Jets wouldn't make a deal.  The Eagles came away felling they couldn't get Wilson at #3, so they traded down with Miami.   McAfee and crew were just repeating rumors they heard, so take that for what it's worth.

My guess would be they are either holding it for a QB or for the possibility of trading it for Watson (if that situation changes). 

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I would have still done it. Colts will play all top 3 picks next season. 

People are lauding MIA for this...and my guess is that will get one of Smith/Chase and some extra draft capital, so definitely a win in that department. But I’m not sure how you don’t draft a QB at #3. I don’t think Tua is close to Wilson or Fields from an NFL standpoint.

But what’s also interesting is that this takes MIA out of the running for Watson. No way they trade that pick if that trade was a possibility...and then give back a 1 to move up to 6. That pick has no real value to HOU.

Yeah, it seems it's just me and you that still would have loved that option. Like you, I still think if you love a QB in the draft there is no price too high to pay for it. 

Archived