Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade: 49ers Move Up To #3

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Trying for one of the QB's I'm guessing.......most likely Field or Lance........or they are putting themselves in position to be the team everyone wants to trade with to get the 3rd best QB.....? 

That'd suppose the 49ers think they got a steel, and can cash it in for much more.

I don't think I'm buying that.

that's a boatload to move nine slots, from 12 to 3 --- for the THIRD BEST QB in this draft. 

It's not Lawrence. And Wilson, Fields and Lance have never played a down in the NFL>

Imagine what we would have had to give up to move from 21!!

I'll take Wentz for a third and potential 1 anyday. Bravo Ballard.

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Me remembering what we got for #3 just a couple of years ago:

evil eye stare GIF

We moved from #3 to #6 and got 3 second rounders out of it across 2 drafts with 2 second rounders within the top 5 picks in Round 2, very close to Round 1. Huge jump from #3 to #12, IMO, for the Dolphins, which warranted this asking price.

Yep, I kind of expected the 49ers to go up for a QB, I just thought they'd do it on draft day, but this is probably the way to do it to secure yourself a some peace of mind. 

This also answers the question what it would have taken us to get to top 3 - what the 49ers gave + probably additional 1st or 2nd.

Just now, stitches said:

Yep, I kind of expected the 49ers to go up for a QB, I just thought they'd do it on draft day, but this is probably the way to do it to secure yourself a some peace of mind. 

This also answers the question what it would have taken us to get to top 3 - what the 49ers gave + probably additional 1st or 2nd.

Yeah, IF, and it is a big IF, Reich gets Wentz back on track, would be one heck of a deal well worth a first rounder, IMO.

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We moved from #3 to #6 and got 3 second rounders out of it across 2 drafts with 2 second rounders within the top 5 picks in Round 2, very close to Round 1. Huge jump from #3 to #12, IMO, for the Dolphins, which warranted this asking price.

Turns out the Dolphins moved to 6 as well. 

And still put the package we got to shame

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

About that...

And even still, the difference between 6 and 12 isn’t 2 first rounders. 

You are missing this - Philadelphia will ship the sixth overall pick in this year’s draft to Miami for No. 12 overall and a 2022 first-round pick. So, in essence, one first rounder is what they netted. The swap does not count as an extra first rounder. We swapped too.

Just now, chad72 said:

You are missing this - Philadelphia will ship the sixth overall pick in this year’s draft to Miami for No. 12 overall and a 2022 first-round pick. So, in essence, one first rounder is what they netted.

And 0 first rounders is what we netted. 

So what am I missing, exactly?

Do you really want to sit here and say the Dolphins didn’t get a better deal for moving down than we did? 

Go ahead. 

Love these moves for Miami and Philly

miami goes from 3 to 6 and probably gets the same player they would have gotten at 3 and nets an extra 1 and 3. 

and Philly realizes they aren’t getting a QB at 6 and moves down and can get a playmaker still at 12 and now if Wentz plays well they have (3) 1s next year. 

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

SF just gave up a bunch of first round picks. No way colts were getting that far. 

SF doesn't have a 1st rd pick for 3 years?  I think this increases the possibility the 49er's would take our 1st this year for McGlinchey.  We would probably get another pick back as well. 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Do you really want to sit here and say the Dolphins didn’t get a better deal for moving down than we did? 

Go ahead. 

1 Dolphins' net first rounder vs Colts' 3 second rounders, not that far off is what I am saying. It would all depend on how the Dolphins multiply it like we did and how the 49ers fare.

If the 49ers make it to the divisional round of the playoffs (say) and pick consistently at No.27/28, then you will compare it to the No.34, No.37 and No.49 we got. Do the math then.

49ers 2 first rounders at mid-20s minus Dolphins one first rounder at early 20s vs No.34, 37 and No.49

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, I agree.   49ers paying a HUGE price.

Makes me feel even better about what we paid for Wentz. 

The 49ers are my favorite NFC team and I try to catch 6-8 games a year and keep up with them kind of like I do the Colts and they absolutely gave up too much, here. Waaaaay too much. 

But they’ve got a lot of talent throughout the roster so I could see it working out in the long-run. The first couple years where the QB (if I had to bet I’d guess they’re targeting Lance) gets up to speed may be a little rougher, but when I think about a guy like Lance there long-term... I do like that idea. 

33 minutes ago, DeepseaColt said:

This is good news for Jets fans. If they decide to stick with Darnold they can get a trove to speedup their rebuild.

The must be taking Wilson, otherwise they would have taken this deal, right?

In another thread people were comparing Ballard’s GM approach vs Lynch’s.  We’re seen as being more cautious and taking a long term approach whereas the 49ers seem more willing to take bigger risks trying to win now.  I think both have succeeded in putting together talented teams with playoff games under their belts.

It will be interesting to see how the next few years play out for both teams.  Finding the right QB will be the key to both teams success. I wanted us to go up and get a QB.  It’s hard to knock getting Wentz for a 3rd & a conditional 1st though.  I just hope Wentz can get his game back on track and he can stay healthy.  If so, Wentz at 25m a year is a good deal.  If not we’re back on the QB carousel. 

The 49ers on the other hand swapped picks and gave up a 3rd & two future 1’s and will be adding either Fields or Wilson and have them cost controlled for the next 5 years.  I was always big on us moving up in the draft for Fields.  So I really wish it was the Colts moving up to the 3rd pick (like I suggested we do for weeks until the Wentz deal) instead of the 49ers.  

I still think Fields will be the star of this draft.  Even more so now if he gets to San Fran.  It will all come down to who the Jets take but either way Fields or Wilson will be a great addition for them. They can even bring either along slowly with Jimmy G starting or still move him to recoup the lost draft capital. 

This is dredging up some repressed feelings about the Wentz trade.  I need to go listen to one of his interviews again to get excited. :wall:  :colts:  :rock:

17 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Go ahead. 

Seriously?    

Three years after the Colts made a trade widely viewed as a steal you’re now coming back to complain we didn’t get enough? 

Really? 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?    

Three years after the Colts made a trade widely viewed as a steal you’re now coming back to complain we didn’t get enough? 

Really? 

I'm very happy with what we got personally and more importantly what we did with it

Archived