Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are you happy with the Wentz acquisition?

Nesjan3

Are you happy with the Wentz aquisition?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Wentz aquisition?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure because of inconsistent play and injury history etc

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Restored said:

Possibly but Rivers wasn't a bad signing and really shouldn't be looked at in the context of Rivers v. Brady. Brady went to a different team with different players, coaches and they played different opponents. Too many variables to think that Brady would've came here and been better than Rivers just because Brady won the SB in Tampa.

Well we didnt win the SB, we didnt win a playoff game, we didnt even win the division. This team is close that should be the goal...so yea in my eyes it wasnt a bad signing but it wasnt good either. Brady was the better option i think in most people eyes, Frank is the #1 reason Rivers was signed more than likely. 

24 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You think the Colts are a Super Bowl Team? Hmmm.

I don't have that hope, like I did in the Manning days, that we would win a Superbowl, but I believe Wentz has the potential to help us do it.  Between him, a solid run game, and decent defense, I hope we have a shot.

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

The Colts were the only team that made any offer. I think Philly made out like bandits. They were probably going to have to cut him.

It doesn’t matter that we were the only ones to make an offer.   There was no way to kniw this info in real time.   It’s like poker, yiu don’t know the other hands until everyone shows them.   You have to pay to see. 

Dear God, they were NEVER, EVER going to cut him.  Not with nearly $50 million guaranteed money?!?   Holy Cow?!?     :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It doesn’t matter that we were the only ones to make an offer.   There was no way to kniw this info in real time.   It’s like poker, yiu don’t know the other hands until everyone shows them.   You have to pay to see. 

Dear God, they were NEVER, EVER going to cut him.  Not with nearly $50 million guaranteed money?!?   Holy Cow?!?     :facepalm:

If they didn't get any offers for him what other choice did they have? They burned their bridges.

Mostly I am relieved to have the question answered. 

And I haven’t been this optimistic and excited about our QB situation since Luck retired. I wasn’t a huge fan of Brissett, and I wasn’t a big fan of Phil, either. 

And I’m excited that they already have the foundation to potentially build a dynasty around. This is supposed to be that perfect matchup in the perfect circumstances. 

And, if it doesn’t work, we’re off the hook soon enough that it won’t be the end of the world. 

So yeah, I guess I am happy. Now let’s see how it plays out. 

jeremy clarkson GIF

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You think the Colts are a Super Bowl Team? Hmmm.

We are certainly a Super Bowl contender.  Our success in FA and the draft will greatly impact how far we are able to advance this year.  I'm feeling very good and optimistic right now.  Looking forward to FA now. 

10 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

I just saw that the fifth season of Amazon Prime's "All or Nothing" series chronicled the 2019 Philadelphia Eagles. Has anyone watched it? If so, what do you think of Wentz after seeing it?

https://www.amazon.com/All-Nothing-Philadelphia-Eagles-Season/dp/B083FJ5D1L

Says it's included for free with Amazon Prime, along with seasons 1-4.

I saw it when it aired. Nothing about most of that team really stood out. Apart from maybe Brandon Graham.

17 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

If they didn't get any offers for him what other choice did they have? They burned their bridges.

They would gave kept Wentz.   Period.  Burned bridge or not.    Either way, we are operating with knowledge that was not available two days ago.   

14 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

They may have burned the bridge down but it's still a business. They burned a lot on him. Picks, salary cap, wages, invested in him as franchise face. They were not cutting him loose for nothing.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why aren't they?

Presently I dont think they are. Defense has to be better. The O-Line regressed last year from the years before (and now is without a LT). The WR corp have to be better. And finally the QB last year was good. No idea what the new dude is. 

SB potential? Maybe. Wentz would have to go back to his very best. If you take away his best year and his worst, and leave what's left behind, I don't think he's better than what Rivers gave the Colts last year. He'd offer some things Rivers didnt but also you lose other things so even if we call the QB position a wash, we'd have to get the other parts of the whole team right.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Presently I dont think they are. Defense has to be better. The O-Line regressed last year from the years before (and now is without a LT). The WR corp have to be better. And finally the QB last year was good. No idea what the new dude is. 

SB potential? Maybe. Wentz would have to go back to his very best. If you take away his best year and his worst, and leave what's left behind, I don't think he's better than what Rivers gave the Colts last year. He'd offer some things Rivers didnt but also you lose other things so even if we call the QB position a wash, we'd have to get the other parts of the whole team right.

Last year is last year.    Why folks are so pessimistic about the future is odd to me.    Why worry and complain about something that hasn't happened yet?      Enjoy the ride.     

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Last year is last year.    Why folks are so pessimistic about the future is odd to me.    Why worry and complain about something that hasn't happened yet?      Enjoy the ride.     

I think it's a playoff team. I just don't think it's a world championship team as presently constituted...in February. I am enjoying the ride. It's not Super Bowl or bust here. Not sure why you think it's pessimism. Would Houston fans be pessimistic if they thought their team wasn't a SB team? After all they have solid wideouts and were in quite a few games last year....and have a top 3 QB.

6 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Talent. Big holes at positions that aren't that easy to fill in just the draft and free agency is always a crapshoot. I don't think this team is anywhere near being a QB away from the Super Bowl. I think this year they will struggle to make the playoffs. I expect a step back.

You must be a riot at parties.   

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Well we didnt win the SB, we didnt win a playoff game, we didnt even win the division. This team is close that should be the goal...so yea in my eyes it wasnt a bad signing but it wasnt good either. Brady was the better option i think in most people eyes, Frank is the #1 reason Rivers was signed more than likely. 

No matter who was the coach. Tom Brady would never play for the Colts and I don’t want that cheating piece of crap near this team. Heck, I’d take Curtis Painter before I’d sign Tom Brady

13 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I think it's a playoff team. I just don't think it's a world championship team as presently constituted...in February. I am enjoying the ride. It's not Super Bowl or bust here. Not sure why you think it's pessimism. Would Houston fans be pessimistic if they thought their team wasn't a SB team? After all they have solid wideouts and were in quite a few games last year....and have a top 3 QB.

Every fan should be optimistic.   It's the reason they are fans.   Why be a fan if you want to question every move and think their team is gonna suck.    I've been a fan since the mayflower trucks rolled in.   I've been optimistic every year since

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Every fan should be optimistic.   It's the reason they are fans.   Why be a fan if you want to question every move and think their team is gonna suck.    I've been a fan since the mayflower trucks rolled in.   I've been optimistic every year since

I have been a Colts fan since the days of Johnny U. I prefer to keep both feet on the ground and not get to high or too low until we see what we have. 

Just now, csmopar said:

No matter who was the coach. Tom Brady would never play for the Colts and I don’t want that cheating piece of crap near this team. Heck, I’d take Curtis Painter before I’d sign Tom Brady

Brady's more likable now that he's not in NE, IMO.  I was rooting for TB to win the SB, in part because Brady stopped being the evil black hat cowboy I used to think.  He seemed like a comfortable highly competent guy simply having fun taking the team as far as it would go.  And ended up going all of the way.

15 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Talent. Big holes at positions that aren't that easy to fill in just the draft and free agency is always a crapshoot. I don't think this team is anywhere near being a QB away from the Super Bowl. I think this year they will struggle to make the playoffs. I expect a step back.

Struggle to make the playoffs? I disagree.

Are there other ways to fill holes on the roster other than the draft and free agency? I trust in CB.

What are these huge holes? The biggest one was QB which has now been filled? Is it not possible to draft or sign a good LT,CB or DE?

1 minute ago, life long said:

Struggle to make the playoffs?

Are there other ways to fill holes on the roster other than the draft and free agency?

What are these huge holes? The biggest one was QB which has now been filled? Is it not possible to draft or sign a good LT,CB or DE?

Yes, it is possible but not likely to solve all three of those problems that easily. How long did it take the Colts to get to the Super Bowl before Manning took us to the Promised Land? Wasn't it about 30 years. Luck never came close. It takes one heckuva great team and lots of luck too. I think we are three years away from a deep playoff run. Like I said, I don't think it is any sure thing that we make the playoffs this year. I certainly hope we do but I will be pleasantly surprised if we putt it off. It is asking a lot to fill that many holes and you left out WR that needs a lot work and TY will probably or should be gone.

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah, the thing is being a fan is a very subjective experience.

In this case, you're saying if a fan of a team doesn't believe the team will be SB champs the next year, there's no point in Fanhood? Not sure what your argument is.

This needs to be put in perspective.

Watson or Rogers were never in the picture.  Who else was available?  And at a price that wouldnt handicap future moves.

We basically have Wentz on a 2 year contract for pretty mich the same price we paid Rivers and JB separately.  Actually, the numbers are pretty close to what we paid JB for 2 years.  I certainly think Wentz will out-play JB.  Ballard has been smart with the cap, which allowed him to try to fix the surprise that was Luck’s retirement.  Yes, we are still trying to recover from that surprise WITHOUT mortgaging the future.

Ballard tried for Stafford... the price was too high.  Should Ballard have waited until the Jets decided on QB?  
  Reich knows Wentz.... well.  We should all give it a chance.  If it doesnt pan out, it was still a reasonable risk and we’ll have money , FA, Eason, or draft to try again.  MOST teams are evaluating/trying to upgrade WB EVERY year.  Some act like, just move up and grab a guy... mortgage it all for arguably MORE risk than Wentz.

What I see is Ballard is all over this, and has been since the Luck retirement.  He’s trying to create some stability at QB while we try to find “the guy.”

Even if Wentz plays well, I expect Ballard to continue to try to upgrade the position for the long-term.  Much like all positions.

The upside is big, our staff should know what they’re getting, and we dont need him to be an all-pro.  Just play smart , get the ball to the playmakers, and move to create time when needed as well as launch a few down the folield once in a while.

If it crashes and burns, we’re only married at about 20M for 2 years.

I just dont see where the hate comes from.  Ballard has a plan, like usual, and we should give him the benefit of the doubt that it has real promise, like we have found more often or not.

We could still add another QB later after cuts too.  May be surprising who gets cut.  But i’m glad Ballard doesnt wait for miracles to happen.

Its also been reported that he checked in on Carr before the trade.  So Ballard has had a plan, made his calls, done his due diligence, and Wentz was the answer.  I’ll take that over ANY one of our “expert” opinions.

But thats just me, don’t hate me for using logic over emotions.

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, the thing is being a fan is a very subjective experience.

In this case, you're saying if a fan of a team doesn't believe the team will be SB champs the next year, there's no point in Fanhood? Not sure what your argument is.

Hopeful.  If you can't be hopeful,  what's the point?

19 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I have been a Colts fan since the days of Johnny U. I prefer to keep both feet on the ground and not get to high or too low until we see what we have. 

No,   you choose to second guess things that you are uninformed about.    I bet you thought Earl Morral was going to suck in 68

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Hopeful.  If you can't be hopeful,  what's the point?

Who said they were not hopeful? I am certainly hopeful but like I said, I don't want to get too high or too low until we see what we have and win a few games. But you can rest assured I will be very excited if we make a run at a SB. I just don't think we are ready yet.

Archived