Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are you happy with the Wentz acquisition?

Nesjan3

Are you happy with the Wentz aquisition?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Wentz aquisition?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure because of inconsistent play and injury history etc

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was one of only a few options.  He's a perfect fit and the coaches know him.  He's capable of putting up MVP numbers and he's taken teams to the playoffs.  He's 27 and could potentially play here for 10 years.  Are you willing to bet a 1 and a 3 against that, my answer is yes.  If he's a bust it's like losing with three of kind, it's a bet you have to make.  Candidly, I think it's our very best option going into 2021.  When Ballard spoke with Dakich, he said the team (players) expected him to come through with a QB, he had to get this done...in my opinion, this makes us a Super Bowl contender AND we kept our #1 pick this year and we have cap space to resign most of our key guys....yeah, I'm happy we made the move.  He still has to prove it, the deal in of itself isn't enough, now it has to work.  

Verdict is out.

I think it could pan outvery well atbest-case, and minimal risk long-term for this type of potential.

Reich knows him well, Ballard tends to make good decisions , so i’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.... for now.

Ithink, overall, a good move.  Now its up to Wentz and this coaching staff to make it happen.  He has the tools, just play smart.

Trubisky and Darnold - they can roll out, do boot legs and Darnold can push the ball farther better than Trubisky, and both can use their legs. But Wentz can do all the above and push the ball farther slightly better than those two, and is probably the only one who had a season like he did in 2017 and some chemistry with Reich. The last time we got someone with familiarity with Reich, which was Rivers, we went from 7-9 to 11-5, didn't we? 

So, if you look at it objectively, if you are going to give up SOME draft capital, Wentz was the logical choice based on ability, familiarity and age. It just came down to that, IMO.

Mixed emotions here: my biggest concern is the rumors about him being a bad locker room guy and making bad decisions, when pressure comes. (But, I would think they stressed being a team guy first and will work on his decision making).
   The plus for me? He wants to play here and they didn’t give up a ton for him. He’s looked great, at times in his career. So, we’ll see how this plays out.

Yes 

Look at it this way:

If we wanted to get a QB we're going to have to take some sort of a gamble.  That's just the way it is. . . there are very few "sure things" out there.

The gamble we took . . . if we lose and Wentz is just terrible we lost a 3rd and a 2nd.   That sucks but it's not a ton. . . We didn't mortgage the franchise for the next 3 years on a losing gamble.  It's something we can easily shake off and walk away from and try again.

If we win this gamble we just gave away a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who's a franchise QB in his late 20's.  In other words we can build around him for a decade.  

We had to take a risk on something, because it would be even worse to not try because we would be wasting the careers of Nelson and Leonard if we didn't try.  

Just now, coltsfeva said:

Mixed emotions here: my biggest concern is the rumors about him being a bad locker room guy and making bad decisions, when pressure comes. But, I would think they stressed being a team guy first. 
   The plus for me? He wants to play here and they didn’t give up a ton for him. He’s looked great, at times in his career. So, we’ll see how this plays out.

I'm not worried about that.

Frank Reich had to ok this, I can't imagine Frank Reich being ok with this kind of trade if he knew that Wentz was a bad influence on the locker room.

My personal opinion is the bad locker room rumors came out because a certain WR who actually is a bad locker room guy was mad that Wentz was throwing the ball more to his all pro tight end and not to him and so mouthed off to the media that Wentz is a jerk.  After he did that several core Eagles players defended Wentz and said he works hard and is a leader.

If time were to be an answer all of us could dream of living. Though if the suns rise in the north and set in the east. Can Carson Wentz be good, Yes. Can Carson Wentz be bad, Yes. Can Carson Wentz be average, yes. Can Carson Wentz be bleh, yes. But time will tell us if I know one thing and that's cooking spaghetti in the rain during a thunder storm on mount chu chu. Good heavens are those who wants Wentz to be goods. But I think wentz will be successful. Maybe he pans out but if he does, God only knows what kind of destruction this world will have. 

• Superman changed the title to Are you happy with the Wentz acquisition?
1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

I think it was one of only a few options.  He's a perfect fit and the coaches know him.  He's capable of putting up MVP numbers and he's taken teams to the playoffs.  He's 27 and could potentially play here for 10 years.  Are you willing to bet a 1 and a 3 against that, my answer is yes.  If he's a bust it's like losing with three of kind, it's a bet you have to make.  Candidly, I think it's our very best option going into 2021.  When Ballard spoke with Dakich, he said the team (players) expected him to come through with a QB, he had to get this done...in my opinion, this makes us a Super Bowl contender AND we kept our #1 pick this year and we have cap space to resign most of our key guys....yeah, I'm happy we made the move.  He still has to prove it, the deal in of itself isn't enough, now it has to work.  

Your first sentence nailed it on the head. Statistically there was no better qb available via free agency or trade. The Colts don't have the draft capital to move up unless you start including players, and realistically the team believes they are in a win now situation, and drafting a qb rarely draws big dividends in year 1. 

I will go out on a limb and say this, I think the Colts sign another veteran QB.

Wentz has proven to be a very talented QB and the risk vs reward is in our favor.  A 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd in 2022?  If he reverts to 2017 form, WELL worth those picks.  With this acquisition, it leaves the drafts and free agency to try and plug and fix other areas of need, specifically:  LT, Edge & CB. 

I'm good with this trade.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Mixed emotions here: my biggest concern is the rumors about him being a bad locker room guy and making bad decisions, when pressure comes. (But, I would think they stressed being a team guy first and will work on his decision making).

I would hope they would've consulted with Brian Decker in regards to personality and leadership qualities with Carson. I trust this front office to do their due diligence in researching Wentz before making this move. 

I know i'm in the minority on this but I don't like trading for Wentz.

Too many negatives and red flags from his play, injury history, questions about him in the locker room, etc. People can argue over what's true, what the Colts can fix, etc but the point is there are many red flags in this situation to give someone pause before trading for Wentz.

This is a risky bet for the Colts to make. They might not have given up multiple firsts for Wentz but I think they are going to be all in on making him work here. It isn't going to be like with Rivers where they see how he does for a year and then decide. Short of something drastic I think it's going to be multiples years of Wentz here.

When it first seemed possible that he might become available I wasn't against it but as time went on and the more the situation unfolded I can't say I feel good about trading for Wentz. It's so important to get the QB decision right and Wentz just isn't someone I would bet on.

I also think the Colts gave up a lot for him. Big contract, awful play, and not wanted by his own team. There wasn't a high demand for him. Sure, if he plays at an MVP level you can say how a 1st and a 3rd was worth it value wise but the point is not whether not a conditional 1st and a 3rd is worth a starting QB. The point is that at the time this trade gets done he doesn't have much trade value. If you're the only bidder at an auction, or one of a few, the price you pay goes down. (and there are plenty of reasons most teams were not interested in trading for him)

I believe in Ballard and Reich to make the right decisions more often than not. My confidence in those two is the only reason I have any hopes of this working out well for the Colts. 

Not gonna lie I was worried after Stafford went off the board but Ballard's patience paid off.

He dug in and refused to overpay and help Roseman recoup value on a failed pick.  But he also added a QB who still has a high talent level and familiarity with his head coach.  He just bought low on talent that fits.

If it doesn't work out he is only out a third round pick.  I presume the conditional is dependent on Wentz starting a certain number of games which would protect Ballard if he tanks.  Really nice move at this price and it allows him to still bring in a young signal caller if one he likes is there at any point in this draft.

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yes, and I am excited to open up the offense adding more of what we did in 2018. Stampede blue already talking about adding RPO back into the playbook.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/18/22289862/film-room-the-colts-could-see-the-return-of-the-rpo-with-carson-wentz

Yep.    and I am happy

How can you see who  voted on the poll ?

Yes, I'm very happy if Wentz buys into our system. Frank Reich is the QB whisperer and if Wentz is locked in, get ready to see some magic. Wentz skillset if Reich is able to harness is on par to Mahomes level. I'm going to believe that we are entering the age of Colts vs Chiefs rivalry for the next decade.

Manning vs Brady = Wentz vs Mahomes 

You heard it hear first.  

There weren’t too many good options this year. Watson and Wilson were fun to dream about, but it was unrealistic to think we’d have a shot at getting them without selling the house, both cars, and the boat. 

I haven’t been a Wentz fan, but I’ll support him for representing the ‘Shoe, and wish him the best. It’s also nice we didn’t give up all of our future for him. 

I have made it clear all thru this that I didn’t want Wentz. That said, the deal Ballard pulled off, moves the needle from a heck no, to an unsure feeling for me. Regardless of what happens, it was a shrewd deal on his part and even the worst case is a win for us. But I can’t be move into the yes category until I see how this works out. Ask me about week 8-9 this fall.

Happy.

I'll compartmentalize the trade into two years.

2021.  Before today, we had no starting QB on the roster.  None.  You never want to have big holes in your roster at any point in the offseason, especially at QB (or LT, another topic).  So spending a 3rd round pick AND $24m of cap space (when we spent $25m last year on our starter) is a great price for the Colts to fill that hole in the roster.  2021 salary is guaranteed, and Wentz is going to start anyway, so the guarantee is really inconsequential.  Since the $25m cap space is the same cap space that we devoted to a starter last year, that portion becomes a push. 

Effectively, we really have only spent a 3rd round pick to get a starting QB for next year.  That's a great deal for filling the QB vacancy.

2022:  This could go either way, but still likely good for the Colts.  If Wentz plays well in 2021, then we are out a first round pick AND $22m of cap space for a 2022 starting QB.  If Wentz stinks in 2021, we are definitely out the $22m for a guy who is not starting, and whatever draft compensation would be appropriate.  If Wentz stinks, the 2022 problem really doesn't set the franchise back, its merely a hiccup. 

IMO, this is a great trade. 

By another measure, it does not alter the development of Eason.  Eason does not have to be pushed into a starting role, and our commitment to Wentz is short enough that Eason could develop another year and take over in 2022 or later if circumstances warrant.

the reason people are against the trade is because they didnt watch wentz and the media told them how to feel .   Wentz is a highlight machine look at his highlights highly mobile big arm and throws elite passes on the run .   he will be a top 5 guy next year and colts are back to real superbowl contenders instead of being in QB purgatory while our team is entering its prime .    The same people complaining now would be complaining worse if the colts did not sign wentz and the colts ended up resigning jacoby or another low tier starter because eason is not ready.   To go from a 8-8 team to a 12-4 now is a big deal enjoy the feeling knowing we are set for at least 10 plus years at QB and relax .  Ballard knows best and will have the colts ready next year to compete for a ring.

Pleased.   We made the best out of a bad situation.   As others here have noticed,  Wentz has four years on his contract, but only two are guaranteed.   So it’s a two year commitment in the worst case scenario.

The MOST this can cost us, is a 3 and a 1.   So, in a worst case scenario, if we’re 9-7 or 8-8, Philly’s first round pick we send them is roughly 16-20 ish...    in today’s NFL, it’s the cost of doing business.  

Wentz appears to be a high ceiling, but low floor kinda guy.  It’s a risk/reward ratio type of thing.   The key is Reich thinks highly enough of him.  Thinks he can fix what’s broken in him.   So, Reich is in.  Ballard is in.  So count me in. 

Better days ahead.  

I'm okay with the trade. He's a proven MVP-type player, if he can stay healthy.

I would prefer drafting a QB, but it would cost us more draft picks to move up to get Trey Lance. And I never liked Darnold trade. Yes, we can get him for cheap salary but he is way more risky than Wentz to me. 

Now that we have a QB, I hope we can sign a LT, pref. Trent Williams for short term patch and draft a CB or Pass Rusher with our 1st pick!!

Wentz was my no. 2 option for QB when the off-season started. I think he's one of the options with highest potential to turn into a franchise QB for us. There is a somewhat significant risk though. And that's why I didn't want us to give up too much value - performance-wise risk + draft compensation + salary... in total.

We are incurring a lot of risk here and IMO we kind of overpaid draft-compensation-wise. We have some protection here against injury or very poor performance, but IMO the chance we actually bench Wentz is not high. I think he will at the very least be playable and this most likely will mean that... he will play. 

With that said, I cannot wait to see what Frank can do with Wentz. He is a very talented QB with very high level traits. I think @Supermanmentioned before that he thinks he hasn't been coached (well) in the last several years and that his mechanics have began to slip. Lets see if Frank and his coaching staff can repair and fix both his mechanical and mental issues, because last year he didn't look like himself. 

To me this is a high upside move and if we hit on it, the price will be irrelevant. So ultimately, I can summarize it by - I like the aquisition, I'm meh on the price, excited for the future, curious to see what Ballard will do the rest of the off-season. IMO we need to be active. 

Archived