Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential Wentz Trade Thread (Merge)

This would be my trade offer. Our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year for Wentz, Ertz, and their second. The Eagles would still have to pay Ertz his dead cap of 7 mil making Ertz cap hit 5 mil and we can cut Doyle to basically make up the difference. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I thought the Colts would b in tough. The Bears were probably going to beat any deal. Nagy and Pace have to win this year or they r out. They can mortgage the future

Cohen doesn't think he'll be traded

So let me get this straight. Wentz has a HUGE contract, is coming off a year where he was horrible and was benched, is coming off a very bad injury the year before that looks like it took some of his skills away. And teams are in a bidding war? If went from "The Eagles will have to come off a 2nd rounder to get us to take him and that contract" to "2 #1 picks, or a #1 and a couple good players"? Forget that crap..

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Apparently the Bears and Colts only 2 serious teams. I believe the Bears would have the upper hand. Nagy and Bears GM, forgot his name, have one year and they r gone. No big deal for them to mortgage the future if it means possibly saving their jobs . I juat think they will offer to much for the Colts to counter.

It's looking like I'm gonna be wrong on this. I didn't think they would trade him, but it's starting to sound inevitable. I still wonder if they're going to negotiate that bonus due date and due the trade in June, not March. 

Bears GM is Ryan Pace, btw. They already got it wrong on Trubisky, if they swing big and miss he's probably out of there. Matt Nagy has a connection to Doug Pederson, so no surprise he's interested in Wentz and no doubt he has some inside knowledge about him. 

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

This would be my trade offer. Our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year for Wentz, Ertz, and their second. The Eagles would still have to pay Ertz his dead cap of 7 mil making Ertz cap hit 5 mil and we can cut Doyle to basically make up the difference. 

That's not how it works.

Ertz would have a cap hit of $8.25m if traded to another team, unless he signs extension.

Philly dead cap doesn't effect Ertz base salary. He has $3.5m in * year contracts that void in 2022 and 2023 that Eagles are responsible for paying.(Technically already have)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/zach-ertz-12316/#:~:text=Zach Ertz signed a 5,dead cap value of %247%2C769%2C500.

While I am not particularly sold on Wentz, wouldnt you all agree that acquiring a young QB either by trade or moving up in draft is going to cost an “overpay” regardless because there is always going to be a bidding war amongst QB needy teams in any year?

If that is not Ballard’s thing then forget using FA or trade to acquire the long term answer at QB.  Which means we are going to have to sit through a down year or two to get better draft position to select the QB we want in a future draft or hope that the answer is an undervalued guy on our roster (i.e. Eason)

You guys know I was one of the biggest proponent for trading for Wentz but this reported potential price is insane. HARD NO from me here! I think Wentz can be a high level QB, and I would definitely take a shot but there are too many question marks for the draft compensation required AND his contract. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

You guys know I was one of the biggest proponent for trading for Wentz but this reported potential price is insane. HARD NO from me here! I think Wentz can be a high level QB, and I would definitely take a shot but there are too many question marks for the draft compensation required AND his contract. 

Totally agree. I have been a proponent of Wentz but the price is ridiculously out of control. Next stop, Darnald.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Totally agree. I have been a proponent of Wentz but the price is ridiculously out of control. Next stop, Darnald.

I personally doubt we get Wentz, looks like the bears or a surprise team will come up in 12th hour to scoop him up.

However, being you guys wanted him AND we are maybe, probably the MOST QB NEEDY TEAM out there, isn't the price secondary to actually getting him??  I mean what is plan C or D,E?etc... 

If he's worth the risk of acquiring him and trying to fix him,  then giving up a extra pick or average, replaceable player shouldn't be a deal breaker

Especially considering the QB situation we're in.

4 hours ago, w87r said:

That's not how it works.

Ertz would have a cap hit of $8.25m if traded to another team, unless he signs extension.

Philly dead cap doesn't effect Ertz base salary. He has $3.5m in * year contracts that void in 2022 and 2023 that Eagles are responsible for paying.(Technically already have)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/zach-ertz-12316/#:~:text=Zach Ertz signed a 5,dead cap value of %247%2C769%2C500.

True, but technically if we cut Doyle then it's a 5 mil cap hit in total for Ertz.

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I personally doubt we get Wentz, looks like the bears or a surprise team will come up in 12th hour to scoop him up.

However, being you guys wanted him AND we are maybe, probably the MOST QB NEEDY TEAM out there, isn't the price secondary to actually getting him??  I mean what is plan C or D,E?etc... 

Wentz was plan B for me. Plan A is still on the table(go get your QB in the draft) so that's what I would still do. For me big part of the Wentz idea was the assumption that he will come cheap. He has the high upside but he also presents some serious risks that would be exacerbated by having to both pay him big money AND give up serious assets for him. I just don't think the price is right and I prefer other options if this is the case. 

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If he's worth the risk of acquiring him and trying to fix him,  then giving up a extra pick or average, replaceable player shouldn't be a deal breaker

Not necessarily. The risk of acquiring him INCLUDES the price we will pay. It's smaller risk if you pay a 3d for him than if you pay 2 1sts or a 1st and 2 starters. 

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Agree 100%.

Giving up a Oke, RYS, Lewis, Willis etc is peanuts.  I'd give up any combo of three plus reasonable draft capital that doesn't include pick 21 (on a net basis.  Ok if we got a high second in return).  And I'm not a big Wentz fan

Ballard has said that he wants a core group of young players to build around.  On D, that group is Buckner, Leonard, and somebody on the back end which is not RYS (probably will be Blackmon) and hopefully one EDGE player.  Every other position will churn on and off the roster from time to time based upon salary cap situation, FA market, and college draft landscape. 

Every other defensive player except those 4 core players is tradeable in the right deal, IMO.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Everything has a price ceiling. If you're real thirsty you might pay and extra dollar for a bottle of water but you won't pay and extra $100 when there is additional options just down the road. We have additional options down the road.

15 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Everything has a price ceiling. If you're real thirsty you might pay and extra dollar for a bottle of water but you won't pay and extra $100 when there is additional options just down the road. We have additional options down the road.

True to the Bolded.

But the options down the road are not 100 times more expensive and what if their not potentially as appealing ?

Personally I dont care for the taste of plain Bottled water and much prefer flavoured water(strawberry) . haha

34 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The longer this "trade" goes on without being announced, the more and more it looks like the Colts are the only real bidder here. The bears news/rumors might be a ploy to get Colts to up their offer, which it seems they won't

Sure seems that way. How about this scenario? The Eagles don't budge and end up keeping Wentz for one more season, throw him in a couple of games in the hopes that he looks decent enough, and then try again next offseason. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Sure seems that way. How about this scenario? The Eagles don't budge and end up keeping Wentz for one more season, throw him in a couple of games in the hopes that he looks decent enough, and then try again next offseason. 

Awfully high price to pay for being stubborn and not accepting market value. The cap hit is significant. I suspect they’ll trade to the highest bidder, whatever the final

price turns out to be, because they can’t afford not to. That said, if the Bears do in fact overpay to the extent suggested in this thread, they are crazy. Getting Wentz is hoping and praying that he isn’t broken. His past season has to be a major downgrade on the price. Is he worth the Colts’ first round pick? Yes but only because Reich has a successful history with him. If the price is any more than that? No. Keep looking. I’d be happier with Fitzmagic on a short term deal with the goal of starting Eason in late ‘21 or in 2022. 

Man, I am here for Carson Wentz. I have so much faith in this team being able to repair him. I'm probably too optimistic when it comes to reclamation and too dazzled by potential/upside, admittedly. 

Most people REALLY don't foresee his play improving with literally every team aspect improved around him and I wonder why. I mean that line was getting him MURDERED... and he was throwing to 4th stringers lol.

I think he still has top 5 talent.. only thing that potentially worries me is the character flaws, but like Chris said, our locker room is ready to absorb any of that. I think our culture is contagious & he'll buy in with a Championship on the horizon. 

Also, perhaps I'm impatient also, but this talk of waiting to see what we have in Eason or settling for someone like Mac Jones (is he even good?) is driving me insaneeeee lol. I want it NOW!!! Let's swinggg!! We're ready!! Give me a high risk high reward guy like Wentz or Winston. Can the deep ball return to our offense?!

(I am an erratic, chaotic Aries if you can't tell)

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

That is a fair deal.  We keep our first round picks

I was watching an analyst go through the issues with Wentz last year. (See attached video)

According to this person  Wentz problems was 1) mechanics, 2) "hero ball" , and 3) play calls that dont best fit his / teammates skillset  (Coaching)

He makes a lot of sense.

I think Wentz is fixable, as they will work on the mechanics, and lower the expectations for him to be the hero, as well as tailoring an offense that fits HIS skillset

Work with him.......Give him a great OL, and running attack, we can win with this guy

IMHO, if we dont get him, thats fine, but he should be considered as one of our options

11 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I agree - seems more than reasonable. I wish Ballard could throw in a player and save the other second-round pick.

The problem with that is....   the players that everyone here wants to include don’t have very much trade value.   No team is accepting an unimpressive player for a second round pick.   They’d only accept one of those guys in addition to that other second. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Agreed. To throw in a 3rd or 4th, I'd want Ertz included

I'll give them a 3rd for Ertz.

They can keep Wentz. He's regressed badly, expensive and reportedly has a * poor attitude... keep our draft picks.

Eagles fans think they're getting Darius off us. Lol

How about, in a trade for Wentz, this years' second round pick; next year's third rounder that can become a second round pick with performance by Wentz; and Ertz. The Colts get a starting caliber QB without giving up a first rounder, and add a key talent at TE, which they need, I can see this deal working for both teams since Philly will save some $ with the players they move to the Colts. Both players want out of Philly and the team seems willing to accommodate. 

As a Colts fan, I'd be ok with this. 

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

Honestly, I'd be fine with it. It's definitely a bit to spend considering the cap hit, but he is a very ideal bridge guy who,  if he stays healthy and reinvigorates his game, could be more than a bridge. Helps us win now and gives us time to find a young QB not in a year where we also need a LT. Trade for Wentz, re-sign a couple guys (preferably Rhodes), draft an OT in round 1 and then use the rest of the draft to get BPA. Maybe even consider trading down from 21 for an extra 3rd. There are some solid OTs in this draft. 

The Eagles want at least a #1 pick. If another team gets into a bidding war they might get it. I can see us giving them a 1 and 4 for their 2nd. and 6th, something like that. But at this point you know someone will be available with all the shuffling going around.

35 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The Eagles want at least a #1 pick. If another team gets into a bidding war they might get it. I can see us giving them a 1 and 4 for their 2nd. and 6th, something like that. But at this point you know someone will be available with all the shuffling going around.

By now that “other” team would have stepped in. No one is giving a 1st for a retread QB you hope to fix. Eagles will hold for a little and realize that. Pretty soon the buzz will cool down and a few dominoes will fall hurting their value IMO. 

Archived