Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential Wentz Trade Thread (Merge)

If you listen to Sal Paolantonio, it sounds like if Philly were to unload Wentz and that large contract, they may also need to give up high draft capital as well.

That being said, would you want Wentz on this team, with possibly being able to also add a 1st round pick back in the deal? Colts certainly have the cap to do it. Just not sure how all the parameters of a potential deal for Wentz would look like yet, especially if Philly is wanting to get out of that contract. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was brought up before by me and @Superman - something like the Browns did with Osweiler, gave up a 2nd rounder for the Browns to absorb that contract.

We won't be getting the Eagles 1st rounder, period, for that. But if the Eagles were to give us their 2nd and 3rd rounder and give us Wentz and his contract, and we don't have to lose picks, I would take that any day of the week if Frank and Ballard are confident about Wentz.

I'd do this. But the Eagles and Wentz would have to renegotiate the due date of his roster bonus for the Eagles to have cap relief in 2021. This would also be necessary for him to be traded prior to June. HIs cap hits would be $25.4m in 2021, and $22m in 2022, and both years are effectively guaranteed as of March 2021.

Even if it's a 2021 second + a condition 2022 third (based on Wentz's performance, could be a 2022 fourth), I'd do it. I think Wentz is very reclaimable, especially if we can pass protect.

Ummm...   did anyone actually listen to Sal Pal?

Because the idea of Philly trading picks to entice another team to take Wentz’s contract is NOT being discussed.   Period.

Sal Pal said he thinks if the Eagles were to do this, the franchise would get CRUSHED by the Eagles fans, who are notoriously the most difficult in football.  

His view is that Sirianni was brought in to FIX Wentz, not trade him.   For right now, this is nothing more than a pipe dream. 

I don’t want Wentz and personally don’t think he’s going anywhere, but if he were to be traded and the Eagles offered up early picks, I’d take it. Colts have a ton of needs. We could use the extra picks. Even if they just gave us their 2nd and 3rd round picks, that’s enough to get a corner, LT, DE, TE, and WR when you factor in our own picks.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ummm...   did anyone actually listen to Sal Pal?

Because the idea of Philly trading picks to entice another team to take Wentz’s contract is NOT being discussed.   Period.

Sal Pal said he thinks if the Eagles were to do this, the franchise would get CRUSHED by the Eagles fans, who are notoriously the most difficult in football.  

His view is that Sirianni was brought in to FIX Wentz, not trade him.   For right now, this is nothing more than a pipe dream. 

I can see Eagles fans and media getting behind Siranni to try and fix Wentz for at least for this year. 

22 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If you listen to Sal Paolantonio, it sounds like if Philly were to unload Wentz and that large contract, they may also need to give up high draft capital as well.

That being said, would you want Wentz on this team, with possibly being able to also add a 1st round pick back in the deal? Colts certainly have the cap to do it. Just not sure how all the parameters of a potential deal for Wentz would look like yet, especially if Philly is wanting to get out of that contract. 

If that's what Sal said, he's then about a month or two behind the curve. Some of the not so informed talking heads were saying that BUT the Eagles are now most likely  keeping him since Pederson is fired and Hurts hasn't exactly lit up the field. And details of his contract are not outrageous.  I think his average per year is around or less than Rivers, Luck, and other QB's get. 

And teams are willing to acquire him AND GIVE PHILLY COMPENSATION to for him.

I'm guessing the Colts, and others would love to give a 1st or 2nd rounder for Wentz and his contract. 

That's just a pipe dream teams would get Wentz AND DRAFT PICKS. haha

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles have been fielding calls for disgruntled QB Carson Wentz.

Rapoport and Mike Garafolo mention the Colts directly, although there are reportedly "others" inquiring about Wentz, too. This report obviously leaked from Philadelphia's organization since its the only side privy to this type of information. Even so, the Eagles would be stuck with $34 million in dead money if it actually were able to move Wentz. It at least makes sense to pick up the phone and gauge interest for the 28-year-old since Matthew Stafford recently garnered a haul including two future first-round picks. Whether or not GM Howie Roseman actually parts with Wentz remains to be seen.

I really wonder what his trade value will be. For some reason people have been saying that they'd have to give a pick to get rid of him and I always thought that was a little ridiculous. They'd probably only take a first or second right now but maybe as time goes on and Wentz make it more obvious that he wants to leave they could perhaps move to something like a 3rd and a day 3 pick.

If Reich thinks he can salvage his career I'm all in but if he doesn't it's a big pass for me. 

16 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I really wonder what his trade value will be. For some reason people have been saying that they'd have to give a pick to get rid of him and I always thought that was a little ridiculous. They'd probably only take a first or second right now but maybe as time goes on and Wentz make it more obvious that he wants to leave they could perhaps move to something like a 3rd and a day 3 pick.

If Reich thinks he can salvage his career I'm all in but if he doesn't it's a big pass for me. 

No worries...

If Reich doesn’t think he can salvage the career fir Wentz, it’ll be a pass for everyone in the Colts organization.   Ballard won’t trade for him if Reich doesn’t believe in him. 

43 minutes ago, Indeee said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles have been fielding calls for disgruntled QB Carson Wentz.

Rapoport and Mike Garafolo mention the Colts directly, although there are reportedly "others" inquiring about Wentz, too. This report obviously leaked from Philadelphia's organization since its the only side privy to this type of information. Even so, the Eagles would be stuck with $34 million in dead money if it actually were able to move Wentz. It at least makes sense to pick up the phone and gauge interest for the 28-year-old since Matthew Stafford recently garnered a haul including two future first-round picks. Whether or not GM Howie Roseman actually parts with Wentz remains to be seen.

On Greenie's show today they said Schefter reported he wants to be traded.... knowing him he probably regurgitated their info so it wouldn't seem he was out scooped. :funny:

But more importantly it looks like it's at least a definite chance he's moved, if not good. I think he will be traded and think we will have once again a Franchise QB,if not borderline elite, assuming of course Reich can fix him and I don't see why not. His salary & compensation are irrelevant,  Ballard needs to get this done.  :D

Because of the 10 million roster bonus coming do the Eagles will have to find someone quickly. It won't be the Jags, Jets, Falcons, teams with obvious needs. It might be the Colts, Bears, Bronco's or Patriots, teams with needs and openings (the Bronco's have a young gun). I highly doubt the Bronco's will give up a #1, I know the patriot's won't. That leaves the Colts and Bears, both picking around the same time. With his contract and ultra down year it might be a swap, like we give out 2nd and 4th and they give their 3rd and 5th..

2 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Because of the 10 million roster bonus coming do the Eagles will have to find someone quickly. It won't be the Jags, Jets, Falcons, teams with obvious needs. It might be the Colts, Bears, Bronco's or Patriots, teams with needs and openings (the Bronco's have a young gun). I highly doubt the Bronco's will give up a #1, I know the patriot's won't. That leaves the Colts and Bears, both picking around the same time. With his contract and ultra down year it might be a swap, like we give out 2nd and 4th and they give their 3rd and 5th..

Colts get Wentz 3rd and 5th 

Eagles get 2nd and 4th

Would be incredibly stupid if Ballard did this 

Eagles 2nd rounder in exchange for the Colts 4th rounder, and Colts take on Wentz's contract and call it a day.

The fact the Eagles are leaking this out means that they want a bidding war. Ballard should stay away if that is the case. Eagles do not have the leverage whatsoever like the Lions did with Stafford, different situations.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Eagles 2nd rounder in exchange for the Colts 4th rounder, and Colts take on Wentz's contract and call it a day.

The fact the Eagles are leaking this out means that they want a bidding war. Ballard should stay away if that is the case. Eagles do not have the leverage whatsoever like the Lions did with Stafford, different situations.

If we are trading for QB just go after Darnold his contract is much friendlier 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

If we are trading for QB just go after Darnold his contract is much friendlier 

I am thinking a 2nd and 4th should do it, at tops.

Just now, BProland85 said:

What about this?

Indy deals 2022 1st

Philly deals Carson Wentz and 2021 2nd (We're taking on his contract so that comes Into play)

We get the high 2nd rounder to make up for losing our 1st in 2022. Philly's 2nd would be 37th overall.

It is pretty good. Let us see how it plays out.

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

You stand to lose a lot if you go after Wentz taking on his contract and he fails. Darnold if failed will be a minor issue. 

Remember we all have Eason possibly ready to take over in 22'

Darnold would be a low risk high reward 

Darnold has shown absolutely ZERO updside while Wentz has displayed an MVP-caliber season in 2017. Not to mention Wentz's high-level season came with Reich as his OC.

The risk for both is really the same. If they both wash out sooner or later, the Colts are left with wasted years of some of their prime players. Wentz does bring a higher cap hit but I'm inclined to believe the Colts will make sure his contract is restructured at some point.

Its hard to say how serious any of this is.  I assume the media needs something to talk about to fill all of the air time they devote to the NFL, so QB trade rumors are good fodder.

Despite the dead cap hit, Philly will have less cap hit if they trade him than if they keep him, so it is an overall savings for them to trade.

I think the acquiring team will acquire an expensive contract.  IIRC, cap hits of $31m each of the next three years.  Wentz is due $26 -27m per year in cash payments over the next three years.  

If there isn't much guaranteed, I could see him restructuring the contract that gives him less overall cash, but more guaranteed than what he has now.  Hopefully it could be a cap it of $25m over 3 to 4 years.

If he wants to be traded, you'd think he'd see that he has to back off on the contract a certain amount for any team to take him.

The thought of the entitled mental case Wentz coming here is terrifying.  I still wish we sent them Frank so the Frank & Wentz resuscitation project could happen over there in Philly.  

I see Wentz continuing to regress and ultimately taking Frank down with him.  And overall it’ll be the Colts organization & us fans  suffering for it the most.  If he ends up coming here, I hope I’m wrong.  

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

BTW, if its true that Wentz has asked to be traded, then he must not be impressed by the notion that Sirianni was hired to fix him. 

It sounds like he just wants out of the Philly situation, if true.

Running from competition. Where’s the drive to go win a championship like Foles did?  Seems like he wants to run to Frank who he figures is going to coddle him and not hold him accountable for his poor play?  

I hope Ballard does his own deep dive on Wentz and doesn’t just let Frank spearhead the signing of Wentz. He needs a thorough mental evaluation to learn why he’s running away from Philly?  

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Running from competition. Where’s the drive to go win a championship like Foles did?  Seems like he wants to run to Frank who he figures is going to coddle him and not hold him accountable for his poor play?  

I hope Ballard does his own deep dive on Wentz and doesn’t just let Frank spearhead the signing of Wentz. He needs a thorough mental evaluation to learn why he’s running away from Philly?  

Any rational person from the midwest would want out of Philly.

Just like Rivers wanted no part of Los Angeles.  Its a sign of awareness, intelligence, and fortitude to stand up to the values the organization is displaying.

BTW, when did he actually play poorly where he needed to be coddled?  Not the MVP quality season was it?

2 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I thought the Wentz leaving Philly talk was put to rest once they hired Nick. It must be a front office relationship matter. Not to go off topic, but this reminds me of Nolan Arenado’s situation with the Rockies where they invested a lot of money in him only to trade him 2 years later. 

Why did the FO draft Hurts in the second round instead of a positional player Philly may have needed?  Wentz signed a contract extension 9 months prior to that draft and had a QBR of 93.1.

The GM must have had a change of mind in those 9 months.  Buyers remorse?  Change of philosophy?

The stuff about Sirianni being hired to fix Wentz by the same GM who drafted a QB in the second round sounds like a lot of smoke-blowing to me.  

7 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I thought the Wentz leaving Philly talk was put to rest once they hired Nick. It must be a front office relationship matter. Not to go off topic, but this reminds me of Nolan Arenado’s situation with the Rockies where they invested a lot of money in him only to trade him 2 years later. 

Yea well whatever  the case colts need to stay far from wentz

Honestly this is one of the worst seasons to be a QB needy team... Until recently most teams in the league were setup with a long-term option or a young QB needing time... this is no longer the case it seems... It feels like every second team needs a QB now. And we are one of those teams too... This makes the price for mediocre options high and the price for good options insane. 

I've been thinking lately ... one of the worst ways to enter the draft is the whole league knowing you need to draft a specific high value position player high... This happens all the time and competitors usually take advantage of you - either by squeezing you for all you have in a trade up attempt to get your guy, or by trading up right before you to take your guy(for example, what Philly did with the Texans needing LT 2 years ago). So I almost wish we could get a QB in FA/trade that looks like he might be the solution for us to throw the league off the scent of us still planning to address QB in the draft(IF we plan to address QB in the draft). Trubisky(I know you like him as an option) might actually be a good option in that mold. Winston too... Darnold if not too expensive... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Honestly this is one of the worst seasons to be a QB needy team... Until recently most teams in the league were setup with a long-term option or a young QB needing time... this is no longer the case it seems... It feels like every second team needs a QB now. And we are one of those teams too... This makes the price for mediocre options high and the price for good options insane. 

I've been thinking lately ... one of the worst ways to enter the draft is the whole league knowing you need to draft a specific high value position player high... This happens all the time and competitors usually take advantage of you - either by squeezing you for all you have in a trade up attempt to get your guy, or by trading up right before you to take your guy(for example, what Philly did with the Texans needing LT 2 years ago). So I almost wish we could get a QB in FA/trade that looks like he might be the solution for us to throw the league off the scent of us still planning to address QB in the draft(IF we plan to address QB in the draft). Trubisky(I know you like him as an option) might actually be a good option in that mold. Winston too... Darnold if not too expensive... 

Sign trubisky , Winston  or fitz and then draft qb

For the record, acquiring Wentz would not be my first choice, or even second or probably not my third.  I think his young age and heavy contract would limit the ability of Eason to have a chance.  

I would prefer a QB that's cheaper and older.

51 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

What about this?

Indy deals 2022 1st

Philly deals Carson Wentz and 2021 2nd (We're taking on his contract so that comes Into play)

We get the high 2nd rounder to make up for losing our 1st in 2022. Philly's 2nd would be 37th overall.

No thanks

My take on Wentz is this:

He was having an MVP type season after overcoming a questionable draft selection to a very critical city/fan base when he got hurt and then the worst thing possible happened. Foles leads Philly to the SB win. Great for Philly, bad for Wentz.

I truly believe that some people don't necessarily have to have their butts kissed every 5 seconds but at same time definitely do not need to be criticized every 5 seconds either. That is exactly what happens in Philly win or lose to any player in any sport and for Wentz having to work his way back physically and more so mentally from injury is tough enough but then also having to live up to SB champion Foles, regardless of whether that QB is still on the team, didn't make it any easier as it was still too fresh. You have to remember that there was a lot of people in Philly during that following SB year who were questioning whether Foles should be kept and Wentz let go. That contract was nothing more than a reassurance to Wentz on top of Foles going to Jaxx. I'm not giving Wentz a true pass, I'm telling you what it is in Philly and I think the reason Hurts was drafted two years after Wentz being Hurt(pardon the pun) was that Howie knew everything I just told you. He saw it unfold miserably first hand. 

A change of scenery, without following an expectation is exactly what Wentz needs. One where he will be cheered and criticized but not micro-criticized or even compared to a SB champion who woke up to a  mid-season Wentz injury to become a beloved hero in Philly.

Not saying I want Wentz in Indy, not saying I don't...just saying it might not be as bad as you think, but that also applies to anywhere else he might go if he is traded.

Lets be real, the Eagles gave Wentz NOTHING to work with. They have a horrible OL, no WR's and no running game. He got destroyed and lost his confidence. Can he bounce back? Maybe, and by that I think YES. In Indy he'll have a line to block for him, a good running game and WR's. I'd take a flyer on him, not for our #1, but a swap of picks I would..

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

realistically, one of the two 1sts Detroit got wasn't for Stafford, it was for being willing to swallow Goff's contract

any team contemplating trading for Wentz should ask for the same IMO

I would take Wentz for sure. I get his contract is overpaying for now, but if he comes in and turns things around we will be underpaying. Some on here need to chill about getting compensation in return. A 3rd? Sure. A 1st? Lol. Wentz isn’t as bad as many make him seem to be. I honestly think he could be top 5 with us 

1 minute ago, Mick12Maher said:

I would take Wentz for sure. I get his contract is overpaying for now, but if he comes in and turns things around we will be underpaying. Some on here need to chill about getting compensation in return. A 3rd? Sure. A 1st? Lol. Wentz isn’t as bad as many make him seem to be. I honestly think he could be top 5 with us 

Who is sending who the 3rd in your scenario?

Archived