Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers’ 68% completion percentage 2nd highest in team history


zibby43
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sheriff brought us back in several games. Luck had a comeback in Cleveland too, if I remember. With all the young gun QBs in the AFC, Rivers' pattern of starting slow in most years (even in his prime) will catch up and the Colts will never get a top seed in the AFC, I am afraid.

 

Rivers fell short vs good playoff teams - Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and eventually the Bills. I was looking for that 1, just 1 comeback against those good teams and it did not happen. INT vs Browns trying to come back, INT vs Ravens to Peters (throwing into double coverage) trying to come back, INT throwing it with 6 minutes to go (even if Frank called the play, Philip shouldn't have thrown it into double/triple coverage) vs Steelers trying to come back. Only signature win was against the Titans on the road on a short week.

 

With Philip, I am afraid it will always be a case of yeah but...

 

Yeah, I didn't throw an INT or win the game but I kept it close enough...

 

Yeah, I did finish 11-5 but I did not do enough to win the division...

 

I don't know what the best answer is. I think with Rivers, our ceiling is limited but without many other options, his ceiling might be the best we can hope for right now and double down on all the supporting cast needs for one last run, I guess. It is not like our D was filled with world beaters. You can count on one hand, the number of play makers on offense and defense we truly have. 

 

Luck is NOT walking through that door, let us be realistic.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sheriff brought us back in several games. Luck had a comeback in Cleveland too, if I remember. With all the young gun QBs in the AFC, Rivers' pattern of starting slow in most years (even in his prime) will catch up and the Colts will never get a top seed in the AFC, I am afraid.

 

Rivers fell short vs good playoff teams - Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and eventually the Bills. I was looking for that 1, just 1 comeback against those good teams and it did not happen. INT vs Browns trying to come back, INT vs Ravens to Peters (throwing into double coverage) trying to come back, INT throwing it with 6 minutes to go (even if Frank called the play, Philip shouldn't have thrown it into double/triple coverage) vs Steelers trying to come back. Only signature win was against the Titans on the road on a short week.

 

With Philip, I am afraid it will always be a case of yeah but...

 

Yeah, I didn't throw an INT or win the game but I kept it close enough...

 

Yeah, I did finish 11-5 but I did not do enough to win the division...

 

I don't know what the best answer is. I think with Rivers, our ceiling is limited but without many other options, his ceiling might be the best we can hope for right now and double down on all the supporting cast needs for one last run, I guess.

How about our comeback vs GB and they even had the REFS on their side? GB may win the SB.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sheriff brought us back in several games. Luck had a comeback in Cleveland too, if I remember. With all the young gun QBs in the AFC, Rivers' pattern of starting slow in most years (even in his prime) will catch up and the Colts will never get a top seed in the AFC, I am afraid.

 

Rivers fell short vs good playoff teams - Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and eventually the Bills. I was looking for that 1, just 1 comeback against those good teams and it did not happen. INT vs Browns trying to come back, INT vs Ravens to Peters (throwing into double coverage) trying to come back, INT throwing it with 6 minutes to go (even if Frank called the play, Philip shouldn't have thrown it into double/triple coverage) vs Steelers trying to come back. Only signature win was against the Titans on the road on a short week.

 

With Philip, I am afraid it will always be a case of yeah but...

 

Yeah, I didn't throw an INT or win the game but I kept it close enough...

 

Yeah, I did finish 11-5 but I did not do enough to win the division...

 

I don't know what the best answer is. I think with Rivers, our ceiling is limited but without many other options, his ceiling might be the best we can hope for right now and double down on all the supporting cast needs for one last run, I guess. It is not like our D was filled with world beaters. You can count on one hand, the number of play makers on offense and defense we truly have. 

 

Luck is NOT walking through that door, let us be realistic.

Still better than Brissett....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about our comeback vs GB and they even had the REFS on their side? GB may win the SB.

 

That was a good win.

 

I don't know but the AFC ones bother me more because those matter more than the NFC ones when it comes to seeding. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Still better than Brissett....

 

That is not a barometer for the future QB decision, IMO. 

 

Like he said, if he is the best we got, he is the best we got. He is a good QB, no doubt and it is not like franchise QBs grow on trees or are let go every year to free agency. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

That was a good win.

 

I don't know but the AFC ones bother me more because those matter more than the NFC ones when it comes to seeding. 

 

That is not a barometer for the future QB decision, IMO. 

 

Like he said, if he is the best we got, he is the best we got. He is a good QB, no doubt and it is not like franchise QBs grow on trees or are let go every year to free agency. 

my guess is ballard will build us like the chiefs, we'll be great at alot of positions so that whenever we do get that next franchise QB, we'll be nearly unstoppable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

And if he did, he'd definitely be rusty after missing 2 whole seasons! :gym: 

 

Everything has to improve around Rivers if he is brought back - from coaching to avoid small mistakes and sound play calling, defensive lapses reduced and much better talent on defense that could allow us to survive sub-par days on offense which I don't think our D is there yet. 

 

We don't have the playmakers on offense or defense to flip field position with a deep ball or a recovered fumble from a pass rusher. That "oomph" factor is missing on this roster, IMO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

 

Everything has to improve around Rivers if he is brought back - from coaching to avoid small mistakes and sound play calling, defensive lapses reduced and much better talent on defense that could allow us to survive sub-par days on offense which I don't think our D is there yet. 

 

 

That could be said no matter who our QB is... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s things like this and reading plays before the snap that Rivers does that will be sorely missed if he’s not back next year and they go with a younger QB.  Don’t get me wrong Rivers isn’t perfect or even what he was but he’s still pretty darn good.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We don't have the playmakers on offense or defense to flip field position with a deep ball or a recovered fumble from a pass rusher. That "oomph" factor is missing on this roster, IMO.

 

Rigo definitely "flipped the field" in several of our games, and I seem to recall recovered fumbles by pass rushers  in several of our games, most notably against Green Bay & Houston. The "oomph" factor is special teams, who have made the difference in some of our games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Rigo definitely "flipped the field" in several of our games, and I seem to recall recovered fumbles by pass rushers  in several of our games, most notably against Green Bay & Houston. The "oomph" factor is special teams, who have made the difference in some of our games. 

 

Well, we had Peyton all those years and just 2 SB appearances and 1 SB win, so I know how hard it is to win at the next level (playoffs). I am not going to be surprised or disappointed if they bring Rivers back, he is still a very good QB. I just hope he doesn't take any major steps backwards as I know that will get us to purgatory with a talented roster. Hopefully he is 100% committed to this team and his off season if he says he will come back.

 

There was an interview where he said "I am not going to be walking around thinking that these playoff wins define my legacy, this or that, you do your best and go from there." I do think he is at a point in his life where he is very close to being content with what he has done so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Well, we had Peyton all those years and just 2 SB appearances and 1 SB win, so I know how hard it is to win at the next level (playoffs). I am not going to be surprised or disappointed if they bring Rivers back, he is still a very good QB. I just hope he doesn't take any major steps backwards as I know that will get us to purgatory with a talented roster. Hopefully he is 100% committed to this team and his off season if he says he will come back.

 

 

I am sure that’s what Rivers is figuring out right now.  Is he 100% in for another run.  If he’s not he won’t comeback.  Now will his body hold up?  That’s a question no one knows the answer too.  I am sure that a big part of what Ballard is doing right now.  Reviewing Rivers tape and probably the last four games or so for hints that his body might be about to go south.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sheriff brought us back in several games. Luck had a comeback in Cleveland too, if I remember. With all the young gun QBs in the AFC, Rivers' pattern of starting slow in most years (even in his prime) will catch up and the Colts will never get a top seed in the AFC, I am afraid.

 

Rivers fell short vs good playoff teams - Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and eventually the Bills. I was looking for that 1, just 1 comeback against those good teams and it did not happen. INT vs Browns trying to come back, INT vs Ravens to Peters (throwing into double coverage) trying to come back, INT throwing it with 6 minutes to go (even if Frank called the play, Philip shouldn't have thrown it into double/triple coverage) vs Steelers trying to come back. Only signature win was against the Titans on the road on a short week.

 

With Philip, I am afraid it will always be a case of yeah but...

 

Yeah, I didn't throw an INT or win the game but I kept it close enough...

 

Yeah, I did finish 11-5 but I did not do enough to win the division...

 

I don't know what the best answer is. I think with Rivers, our ceiling is limited but without many other options, his ceiling might be the best we can hope for right now and double down on all the supporting cast needs for one last run, I guess. It is not like our D was filled with world beaters. You can count on one hand, the number of play makers on offense and defense we truly have. 

 

Luck is NOT walking through that door, let us be realistic.

I totally agree here.  More potential downside than upside. Just look at Brees.  I think he set some kind of completion record against us a few years ago.  And look at him yesterday. This is the risk we would be taking.  I'm just hoping Ballard finds us a new QB.  But if he can't and Rivers wants to give it another go so be it.  Another year of limbo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am sure that’s what Rivers is figuring out right now.  Is he 100% in for another run.  If he’s not he won’t comeback.  Now will his body hold up?  That’s a question no one knows the answer too.  I am sure that a big part of what Ballard is doing right now.  Reviewing Rivers tape and probably the last four games or so for hints that his body might be about to go south.  

 

I think the biggest part of what Ballard is doing right now is (1) calling teams to ask what they would want from us for their quarterback.    Stafford,  Ryan,  Darnold...    

 

And then,  (2)  further evaluations on the QB class.   Will there be someone they like at 21?   And I know what CB said at his year end briefing.   I don't expect him to be fully candid about such a thing in that setting.    Or might there be someone they'd take in the 2nd or 3rd round?     

 

In other words,  what are the other options if (A) Rivers retires,  or (B) could someone else be a better option than Rivers and we might just say "sorry, we're going in another direction."   

 

I would think the evaluation of Rivers 2020 season would already be pretty close to done.   

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really think if Rivers had an off-season with this offense, he would have put up even better numbers. It was obvious the last half of the season things started to change with his throws and TY getting involved with him. I’m not against him coming back for one more season. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would think the evaluation of Rivers 2020 season would already be pretty close to done.   

 

Of course it is. I take Ballard at his word when he said they think they can win with Rivers, and they want him back. 

 

Just like I took Ballard at his word last year when he said the jury is still out on JB, they'll have to see if he's the guy (then signed another QB as the starter). Also, Reich and Sirianni described the traits they value in a QB, and their description didn't sound an awful lot like JB.

 

IMO, their 'we'll have to see' about Rivers is A) does he want to keep playing, B) what's the prognosis on his toe injury, and C) will he take a pay cut. Totally my speculative thinking.

 

As for other options, I would think that Ballard already has a preliminary gauge on what it might take to get another QB via trade -- Wentz, Stafford, even Watson. It's not tampering to call other GMs and ask if they'd trade their QB, and for how much. And I'm sure the coaching staff is doing work on anyone who might realistically be available. They're also continuing their evaluation of draft prospects.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

QB was not the issue. If you're looking for a QB that can save us in a game no matter what, than is a problem, there's only a few of those, none available.

 

Now, that being said, I have to agree that Stafford would be a upgrade, and Both the Colts and Stafford would have 4-5 years of contending.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

QB was not the issue. If you're looking for a QB that can save us in a game no matter what, than is a problem, there's only a few of those, none available.

 

Now, that being said, I have to agree that Stafford would be a upgrade, and Both the Colts and Stafford would have 4-5 years of contending.

Well Watson might be but the Colts aren’t getting him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Watson might be but the Colts aren’t getting him.

Yes, but you know I was saying available for us right? Haha

 

Let's stop dreaming, nobody is stupid enough to ship Watson inside his own division, not even the Texans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Yes, but you know I was saying available for us right? Haha

 

Let's stop dreaming, nobody is stupid enough to ship Watson inside his own division, not even the Texans.

Exactly like I said they aren’t getting him but sadly if someone doesn’t point that out around here someone will say he’s available though.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly like I said they aren’t getting him but sadly if someone doesn’t point that out around here someone will say he’s available though.  

 

I'll get him on madden 21 for sure, I think we will win SB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Rivers played well for us this season, I don't think that's really up for debate. Definitely a lot better than JB.

I think if you had a carnival of tests...throwing footballs at different points all over the field, short and deep....JB would win. He has a much younger, stronger arm. But when it comes to reading defenses, changing plays, and leading a receiver with a throw, Rivers has it....and JB does not at this point. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Watson might be but the Colts aren’t getting him.

I'm in the minority...but I'm glad we won't mortgage the future for a QB that gets sacked 40 to 50 times per year. It's not all on their online either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think if you had a carnival of tests...throwing footballs at different points all over the field, short and deep....JB would win. He has a much younger, stronger arm. But when it comes to reading defenses, changing plays, and leading a receiver with a throw, Rivers has it....and JB does not at this point. 

 

Yeah, throwing ability is an absolute necessity for a QB, but it's still only like 35% of the equation. An area where Rivers excels is anticipation, while JB is severely lacking in that quality. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think if you had a carnival of tests...throwing footballs at different points all over the field, short and deep....JB would win. He has a much younger, stronger arm. But when it comes to reading defenses, changing plays, and leading a receiver with a throw, Rivers has it....and JB does not at this point. 

Ironic to me that people here focus on what they can see...  height, weight, speed, arm strength...

 

And pay little attention to the most important things they can’t see...  pre-snap reads, post snap reads, audibles,  leadership in the huddle, on the sidelines and in the locker room.   Those are things that Manning and Luck and Harbaugh and Unitas excelled at.  
 

And yet......

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

This may be fine but realize when you have the ball on your own 15 with 2 1/2 minutes left if you can’t move into field goal range I would like someone else capable.

No qb is going to be able to do that 100% of the time. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don't see Rivers as a problem, he looks like he could play 1 more year at least. JMO. We need to improve our Pass Rush and get another LT. Taylor will beast out next year as well.

He may not be a problem, but he is not the solution. Colts will not win a championship with him. Sign him have another pretty good year maybe and waste another year. Maybe I’m along on this, but winning the super bowl should be the goal. With Rivers that ain’t happening. If they resign him then we know the club is not all about winning.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He may not be a problem, but he is not the solution. Colts will not win a championship with him. Sign him have another pretty good year maybe and waste another year. Maybe I’m along on this, but winning the super bowl should be the goal. With Rivers that ain’t happening. If they resign him then we know the club is not all about winning.

I am sorry to inform you but your comment IMO is pure nonsense. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

This may be fine but realize when you have the ball on your own 15 with 2 1/2 minutes left if you can’t move into field goal range I would like someone else capable.

If that is the measuring stick you use to judge a QB then 90% of the QBs in the league fails. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...